This chapter further describes journey towards the royal palace. On the way Rama hears blessings and well meaning words of his friends and various people gathered there.
स रामः रथम् आस्थाय सम्प्रह्ऱ्ष्ट सुह्ऱ्ज् जनः |
पताकाध्वजसंपन्नं महार्हगुरुधूपितम् || २-१७-१
अपश्यन् नगरम् श्रीमान् नाना जन समाकुलम् |
1. raamaH = Rama; sriimaan the glourious man; samprahR^ishhTa suhR^ijjanaH = having joyful friends; aasthaaya = ascended ; ratham = the chariot; apashyat = saw; nagaram = the city; pataakaadhavaja sampannam = rich with flags and banners; mahaarhaguru dhuupitam = perfumed with excellent befitting wood; naanaajanasamanvitam = endowed with varied types of people.
Rama the glorious man, who was with his joyful friends, ascended the chariot and saw the city which was decorated with flags and banners, which was perfumed all around by burning excellent aloe wood and which was endowed with varied types of people.
स ग्ऱ्हैः अभ्र सम्काशैः पाण्डुरैः उपशोभितम् || २-१७-२
राज मार्गम् ययौ रामः मध्येन अगरु धूपितम् |
2. saH raamaH = that Rama; yayau = went; raajamaargam madhyena = through; middle of royal = passage; agarudhuupitam = which was incensed with aloe wood; upashobhitam = splendid; paN^duraiH grihaiH = with white houses; abhrasaN^kaashaiH = resembling like clouds.
That Rama went through the royal passage which was incensed with aloe wood. That royal street was splendid with white houses resembling clouds.
चन्दनानाम् च मुख्यानामगुरूणाम् च संचयैः || २-१७-३
उत्तमानाम् च गन्धानां क्षौमकौशाम्बरस्य च |
अविद्धाभिश्च मुक्ताभिरुत्तमैः स्फाटिकैरपि || २-१७-४
शोभमानम् असम्बाधम् तम् राज पथम् उत्तमम् |
सम्व्ऱ्तम् विविधैः पण्यैः भक्ष्यैः उच्च अवचैः अपि || २-१७-५
3;4;5. tam = that; uttamam = excellent; raajapatham = royal route; samvritam = filled with; chandanaanaam = sandal; mukhyaanaam = superior; aguruuNaam = aloe-wood; uttamaanaam = excellent; gandhaanaam = perfumes; kshhoumakaushaam barashya cha = silk and linen cloth; sanchayaiH = heeps of them; aviddhaabhiH = unpiereced; muktaabhiH = unpiereced; muktaabhiH = pearls; uttamaiH = excellent; sphatikairapi = things made of crystal; shobhamaanam = splendid with; vividhaiH = various kinds of; pusshpaiH = flowers; uchaavachaiH = various kinds of; bhakshhaiH = eatables.
Rama entered that excellent royal route, which was filled with sandal, superior aloe-wood, excellent perfumes, silk and linen cloth, heaps of them, unpierced pearls, excellent things made of crystal, splendid with various kinds of flowers and eatables and which was not congested.
ददर्श तं राजपथं दिवि देवपथम् यथा |
दध्यक्षतहविर्लाजैर्धूपैरगुरुचंदनैः || २-१७-६
नानामाल्योपगंधैश्च सदाभ्यर्चितचत्वरम् |
6. dadarsha = (Rama) saw; tam raajapatham = that royal passage; devapatham yathaa = like divine passage; divi = in heaven; abhyarahita chatvaram = whose road junctions were worshipped; sadaa = perpetually; dadhyakshhata havirlaajaiH = with yoghurt; unbroken rice; clarified butter; fried grain; dhuupaiH = incense; aguruchandanaiH = aloe and sandal wood; naanaa maalyopagandhaishcha = and all types of garlands and perfumes.
Rama saw that royal route like divine passage in heaven. All the road junctions there were regularly worshipped with yoghurt, unbroken rice, clarified butter, fried grain, incense, aloe and sandal and all types of garlands and perfumes.
आशीर् वादान् बहून् श्ऱ्ण्वन् सुह्ऱ्द्भिः समुदीरितान् || २-१७-७
यथा अर्हम् च अपि सम्पूज्य सर्वान् एव नरान् ययौ |
7. shR^iNvan = hearing; bahuun = various; aashiirvaadaan = blessings; samudiiritaan = spoken; suhR^idbhiH = by friends; yayau = (he) went; sampuujyacha = acknowledging; sarvaanena = all; naraan = people; yathaarham = according to merit.
Hearing the various blessing words spoken by his friends, he went acknowledging all those people suitably.
पितामहैः आचरितम् तथैव प्रपितामहैः || २-१७-८
अद्य उपादाय तम् मार्गम् अभिषिक्तः अनुपालय |
8. abhishhiktaH = get coronated; adya = today; upaadaaya = take; tam maargam = that path; aacharitam = followed pitaamahaiH = by grandfathers; tathaiva = and likewise; prapitaamahaiH = by greatgrandfathers; ampaalaya = and preserve(kingdom).
"Get coronated today, take the path followed by your grandfathers and great grandfathers and rule the kingdom."
यथा स्म लालिताः पित्रा यथा पूर्वैः पितामहैः ||२-१७-९
ततः सुखतरम् सर्वे रामे वत्स्याम राजनि |
9. raame = Rama; raajanisati = being king; vatsyaamaH = (we shall) dwell; sukhataram = happily further; tataH = than that; pitraa = by father; yathaa = in which way; poshhitaasma = we were ruled; yathaa = by which way; sarvaiH = by all; pitaamahaiH = grandfathers.
"If Rama becomes king, we shall be more happy than when his father ruled and also when his grandfathers ruled.
अलमद्य हि भुक्तेन परम अर्थैः अलम् च नः || २-१७-१०
यथा पश्याम निर्यान्तम् रामम् राज्ये प्रतिष्ठितम् |
10. pashyaamayadi = if we can see; raamam = Rama; niryaantam = going forth in city; pratisThitam = being established; raajye = in kingdom; adya = today; alam = it is enough; bhuktena = of eating; alam = it is enough; paramaarthaiH = of other concerns.
"If we can see Rama going forth in the city after getting coronated today, it is enough of eating or other activities."
ततः हि न प्रियतरम् न अन्यत् किंचित् भविष्यति || २-१७-११
यथा अभिषेको रामस्य राज्येन अमित तेजसः |
11. kimchit = "which anyat = other thing; nabhavishhyati = is not about to be; priyataram = dearer; natt = to us; yathaa = as; abhishhekaH = coronation; raajyena = in kingdom; raamasya = of Rama; annitachetasaH = of unbounded spleadour.
"There is no other dearer thing to us than coronation of Rama of unbounded splendour".
एताः च अन्याः च सुह्ऱ्दाम् उदासीनः कथाः शुभाः || २-१७-१२
आत्म सम्पूजनीः श्ऱ्ण्वन् ययौ रामः महा पथम् |
12. raamaH = Rama; shriNvan = hearing; etaaH = these; anyaashcha = other; shubhaaH = good; kathaaH = tales ; suhR^idaam = from friends; aatma sampuujaniiH = adoring oneself; udaasiinaH = was passive; yayau = went; mahaapatham = in royal route.
Rama, though hearing of these good, words spoken by his friends about himself was passive and went in royal route.
न हि तस्मान् मनः कश्चिच् चक्षुषी वा नर उत्तमात् || २-१७-१३
नरः शक्नोति अपाक्रष्टुम् अतिक्रान्ते अपि राघवे |
13. raaghave atikraante api = though Rama has gone distantly; kashchit naraH = which man; na shaknotihi = was not able; apaakrashhTum = to turn back; chakshhushhii = eyes; manaH = mind; tasmaat = that; narottamaat = best of men.
Though Rama became distant, no one could turn back one's eyes and mind from him, the best of men.
यश्च रामं न पश्येत्तु यं च रामो न पश्यति || २-१७-१४
निन्दतः सर्वलोकेषु स्वात्माप्येनम् विगर्हते |
14. yashcha = who; napashyethu = did not see; raamam = Rama; yamcha = and to whom; raamaH = Rama; napashyati = did not see; ninditaH = was blamed; sarvalokeshhu = among all people; svaatmaapi = one's mind also; vigarhate = yould blame; enam = oneself.
All the people blamed the one who did not see Rama and the one who was not seen by Rama. Such a person would blame himself of it.
सर्वेषाम् स हि धर्म आत्मा वर्णानाम् कुरुते दयाम् || २-१७-१५
चतुर्णाम् हि वयह्स्थानाम् तेन ते तम् अनुव्रताः |
15. saH = that Rama; dharmaatmaa = the virtuous; kurute dayaa = took pity on; sarveshhu = all men; chaturNaami = of four; varNaanaam = classes; vayasthaanam = towards the aged; tena = hence; te = they; anuvartaaH = were devoted; tam = to him.
Rama, the virtuous, had compassion towards all the four classes of men and towards the aged people. Hence, they were all devoted to him.
चत्पुष्पथान् देवपथांश्चैत्यान्यायतनानि च || २-१७-१६
प्रदक्षिणम् परिहरन् जगाम नृपतेस्सुतः |
16. nnapate sutaH = Rama; the prince jagaama = went; pariharam = by crossing; chatushhpathaan = road junctions; devapathaan = god's paths; chaityaan = sacred trees; aayatanaanicha = and temples; pradakshhiNam = keeping his; right side towards them.
Rama went by crossing road junction, god's paths, sacred trees and temples keeping his right side towards them.
स राज कुलम् आसाद्य महा इन्द्र भवन उपमम् || २-१७-१७
प्रासादश्पङ्गैर्विविधैः कैलासशिखरोपमैः |
आवारयद्भि र्गनं विमानैरिव पाण्डुरैः || २-१७-१८
वर्धमानगृहैश्चापि रत्न जालपरिष्कृतैः |
तत्पृथिव्यां गृहवरं महेन्द्रसदनोपमम् || २-१७-१९
राज पुत्रः पितुर् वेश्म प्रविवेश श्रिया ज्वलन् |
17;18;19. raajaputraH = that Rama; aasaadya = approached; raajakulam = royal abode; pravivesha = entered; tat = that; pituH veshma = father's palace; gR^ihavaram = which was the best palace; jvalan = blazing; shriyaa = with radiance; mahendra sadanopamam = like palace of Indra; the king of celestials pR^ithivyaam = on earth; vividhaiH = various types of ; praasaada shR^iN^gaiH = turrets; shubhaiH = which were auspicious; kailaasa shikharo pamaiH = looking like mount Kailasa; maghasamghopamaiH = as group of clouds; paaNduraiH vimaanairiva = as white heavenly cars; aavaarayadbhiH = covering; gaganam = the sky; vardhamaanagR^ihaishchaapi = also with royal houses named vardhamana; ratnajaala parishhkR^itaiH = adorned with a net of jewels.
Rama approached the royal abode and entered his father's palace which was the best palace with blazing radiance like the palace of king of celestials on earth. All around the house, there were various types turrets looking like Mount Kailasa, as group of clouds, as white heavenly cars touching the sky. There were royal houses named vardhamana which were adorned with a net of precious stones.
स कक्ष्या धन्विभिर्गुप्तास्तिस्रोऽतिक्रम्य वाजिभिः || २-१७-२०
पदातिरपरे कक्ष्ये द्वे जगाम नरोत्तमः |
20. saH = that Rama; narottamaH = the best of men; atikramya = crossed vaajibhiH = with horses; tinraH kakshhyaaH = three enclosures; guptaaH = guarded; dhanvibhiH = by men armed with bows; jagaama = got; apare = other; dve kakshhye = two enclosures; guptaaH = guarded; dhanvibhiH = by men armed with bows; jagaama = got; apare = other; dve kakshhye = two enclosures; padaatiH = by foot.
Rama the best of men crossed with chariot three enclosures protected by men armed with bows and moved over the other two enclosures by foot.
स सर्वाः समतिक्रम्य कक्ष्या दशरथ आत्मजः || २-१७-२१
सम्निवर्त्य जनम् सर्वम् शुद्ध अन्तः पुरम् अभ्यगात् |
21. saH dasharathaatmajaH = that Rama; samatikramya = crossed; sarvaaH = all; kakshhyaaH = gates; samnivartya = sent back; sarvam janam = all people; abhyagaat = veached; shuddhaantaH puram = the palace.
That Rama passed over all the gates, sent all the people back and entered the palace.
तस्मिन् प्रविष्टे पितुर् अन्तिकम् तदा |
जनः स सर्वो मुदितः न्ऱ्प आत्मजे |
प्रतीक्षते तस्य पुनः स्म निर्गमम् |
यथा उदयम् चन्द्रमसः सरित् पतिः || २-१७-२२
22. tadaa = then; tasmin = that; nR^ipaatmaje = prince; pravishhTe = went; antikam = nearer; pituH = to father; saH sarvaH = all those; janaH = people; muditaH = wer delighted; pratiikshhatesma = waited; punaH nirgamam = for exit again;chandramasaH udryam yathaa = as of rising of moon saritpatiH = the ocean.
When Rama went nearer to his father, all the people there were delighted waiting for his return as the ocean waits for raising of the moon.
- - -
|| इत्यार्षे श्रीमद्रामायणे आदिकाव्ये अयोध्याकाण्डे सप्तदशः सर्गः ||
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© 1999, K. M. K. Murthy
World Wide view of
rama and verse
Content moved by Go FTP FREE Client