This chapter starts with Kaikeyi's entreaties to the king followed by Dasaratha disowning her as wife. The night passes and Sumantra comes to wake up the King. Ordered by Kaikeyi to bring Sri Rama to the king, he goes to Sri Rama to fetch Him.
putra shoka arditam paapaa visamGYam patitam bhuvi |
viveShTamaanam udiikShya saa aikShvaakam idam abraviit || 2-14-1
1. saa paapaa = that wicked woman; abraviit = spoke; idam = these words; ikshhvaakam = to Dasaratha who was born in Ikshvaaku dynasty; putrashokaarditam = tormented by the anguish for his son; patitam = who was fallen; visajJNam = unconscious; viveshhTamaana m = tossing about; bhuvi = on the floor.
That wicked woman spoke these words to Dasaratha, tormented as he was by the anguish for his son and who was unconscious, tossing about on the floor.
paapam kRtvaa iva kim idam mama sa.nshrutya sa.nshravam |
sheShe kShiti tale sannaH sthityaam sthaatum tvam arhasi || 2-14-2
2. kim = what is; idam = this ? samshrutya = after hearing; mama = my; samshravam = promise; sheshhe = you are lying; kshhititale = on the floor; sannaH = with grief; paapam kR^itva ivaa = as; though you had perpetrated a sithtyaam = you; arhasi = ought to; sthaatum = keep; sthityaam = within bounds of morality.
"What is this? After hearing the promise given to me, you are lying on the floor dejected as though you had committed a great sin. You ought to keep yourself within bounds of ethics".
aahuH satyam hi paramam dharmam dharmavido janaaH |
satyam aashritya hi mayaa tvam ca dharmam pracoditaH ||2-14-3
3. janaaH = People; dharma vidaH = who know what is right; aahuH hi = indeed speak; satyam = of truthfulness; paramam dharmam = as highest virtue; tvam = you; prabodhitaH = are made aware of; dharmam = (your)duty; mayaacha = by me; aashritya = who has taken refuge; satyam = in truth.
"People who know what is right, indeed speak of truthfulness as highest virtue. I too have taken refuge in truth and made you aware of your duty."
sa.nshrutya shaibyaH shyenaaya svaam tanum jagatii patiH |
pradaaya pakShiNo raajan jagaama gatim uttamaam || 2-14-4
4. raajaa = Oh; king! samshrutya = having promised; svaam = his own; tanum = body; shyenaaya pakshhiNe = to a bird called hawk; shaibyaH = Saibya; jagatiipatiH = the lord of the world; jagaama = obtained; uttamaam = the highest; gatim = destiny.
"Oh, king! Having made a promise to a hawk and offering his body to the bird , king Saibya, the ruler of world obtained the greatest destiny".
tatha hi alarkaH tejasvii braahmaNe veda paarage |
yaacamaane svake netreuddhRtya avimanaa dadau || 2-14-5
5. tathaa = In that manne; alarkaH = alarka; tejasvii = the glorious man; uddhR^itya = plucking; svake = his own; netre = eyes; dadau hi = indeed gave; avimanaaH = remorselessly; braahmaNe = to the brahmana; veda paarage = skilled in the veda; yaachamaane = when asked for them.
"In that manner, Alarka the glorious man plucking his own eyes, indeed gave remorselessly, to a brahmana skilled in the Veda, When asked for them."
saritaam tu patiH svalpaam maryaadaam satyam anvitaH |
satya anurodhaat samaye velaam khaam na ativartate || 2-14-6
6. satyam anvitaH = Following truthfulness ; saritaam patiH tu = ocean; the lord of rivers; samaye = at the time of flow-tide; naativartate = does not transgress; svaam = its; velaam = limit; maryaadaam = the boundary; svalpaam = (even)to a small extent; satyaanurodhaat = because of compliance to truth.
"Following ruthfulness, ocean the lord of rivers even at the time of flow-tide, does not transgress even to a small extent its boundary because of its compliance to truth."
styamekapadaM brahme satye dharmaH pratishhThataH|
satyamevaakshayaa vedaaH satyenai vaapyate param || 2-14-7
7. satyam = Truth; ekapadam = in the word; brahma = (is)Brahma; satye = on truth; dharmaH = is righteousness; pratishhTitaH = eshtablished; satyameva = truth indeed; vedaaH = is knowledge; akshhayaaH = which is imperishable; satyaineva = by truth alone; param = the supreme being; aapyate = is obtained.
"Truth is one word and is Brahma. On truth is righteousness established. Truth indeed is the knowledge imperishable. By truth alone, the supreme being is obtained".
satyaM samanuvartsva yadi dharme dhR^itaa matiH |
saphalaH sa varo me.astu varado hyasi sattama || 2-14-8
8. sattama = Oh the best of men! matiH dhR^itaayadi = if your mind is fixed; dharme = on piety; samanuvartasva = comfirm to; satyam = truth; astu = let; me = my; varaH = boon; saphalaH = bear fruit; asiH = you are indeed; varadaH = bestower of boons!.
"O the best among men! firmly adhere to truth, if your mind is fixed on piety. Since you are a bestower of boons, let my aforesaid prayer be granted.
dharmasyehaabhikaamaarthaM mama chaivaachichodanaat |
pravraajaya sutaM raamam triH khalu tvaaM braviimyaham || 2-14-9
9. iha = In the matter; abhikaamartham = for yearning; dharmasya = of righteousness; abhichodanaachcha = due to instigation; mama = of mine; pravraajaya = send to exile; raamam = Rama; sutam = the son; aham = I; prabraviimi = am telling; tvaam = to you; triH = three times.
"In the matter, yearning righteousness and to concede to my request, send Rama the son to exile. I am telling to you three times".
samayam ca mama aarya imam yadi tvam na kariShyasi |
agrataH te parityaktaa parityakShyaami jiivitam || 2-14-10
10. aarya = Oh; the venerable man ! tvam karishhyasi yadi = if you do not implement; imam = this; mama = my; samayam = agreement; parityaktvaa = having been left over; parityakshhyaami = I will give up; jiivitam = life; te agrataH = in front of you.
"Oh, the venerable man! If you do not implement our agreement, it means you have abandoned me. Hence I will give up my life here in front of you".
evam pracoditaH raajaa kaikeyyaa nirvishankayaa |
na ashakat paasham unmoktum balir indra kRtam yathaa || 2-14-11
11. evam = Thus; prachoditaH = by Kaikeyi; nirvishaNkayaa = without hesitation; rajaa = king Dasaratha; indrakR^itam yathaa = as trapped by Indra; naa shakat = was not able; moktum = to untie; paasham = the cord.
Thus compelled by Kaikeyi, who had no uneasiness in her mind, king Dasaratha could not untie the cord of plighted word that fettered him , any more than Bali could unloose the noose placed (round his body) by Indra(through his younger brother Vamana in order to deprive him of his sovereignty of the three worlds).
udbhraanta hRdayaH ca api vivarNa vanado abhavat |
sa dhuryo vai parispandan yuga cakra antaram yathaa|| 2-14-12
12. dhuryaH yathaa = Like a bullock; parispandan = throbbing; yuga chakraantaram = between yoke and the wheel; saH = Dasaratha; udbhraanta hR^idayaH = got agitated at heart; abhavat = became; vivarNa vadanaH chaapi = pale in his face.
Like a bullock throbbing between yoke and the wheel , Dasaratha got agitated in heart and became pale in his face.
vihvalaabhyaam ca netraabhyaam apashyann iva bhuumipaH |
kRcchraat dhairyeNa sa.nstabhya kaikeyiim idam abraviit || 2-14-13
13. bhuupatiH = The king; vihvalaabhyaam netrabhyaam = with bedimmed eyes; apashyanniva = was unable; as it were to see; samstabhya = stood firm; dhairyeNa = with courage; kR^ichchhraat = and with difficulty; abraviit = spoke; idam = these words; kaikeyiim = to Kaikeyi.
King Dasaratha, with bedimmed eyes, was unable, as it were, to see. But with difficulty, he controlled himself by recourse to firmness and spoke to Kaikeyi as follows.
yaH te mantra kRtaH paaNir agnau paape mayaa dhRtaH |
tam tyajaami svajam caiva tava putram saha tvayaa || 2-14-14
14. paape = Oh; wicked woman! tyajaami = Iabandon; te = your; yaH paaNiH = hand; which; dhR^itaH = was clasped; mayaa = by me; agnau = in the presence of nuptial fire; mantrakR^itaH = when it was consecrated by sacred recitations; tava putram chaiva = as also your son; svajam = begotten by me; tvayaa saha = along with yourself.
"Oh, wicked woman! I abandon your hand, which was clasped by me in presence of nuptial fire, when it was consecrated by sacred recitations as also your son begotten by me along with yourself".
prayaataa rajanii devi suuryasyodayanaM prati |
abhishhekaM gurujanstvarayiishhyati maaM dhruvam || 2-14-15
15. devi = Oh; queen! rajanii = the night; prayataa = has gone by; suuryasya udayanam prati = with return of rising sun; gurujanaH = elderly people; dhruvam = certainly; tvarayishhyati = will quicken; mama = me; abhishhekam = for installation; raamaabhishheka sambhaaraiH = with material to be used for Rama's coranation; upakalpitaiH = procured; tadartham = for the purpose.
"Oh, Queen! the night has gone by, with the return pf rising sun. Elderly people will certainly quicken me for installation of Rama with the sacred materials procured for the purpose".
raamaH kaarayitavyo me mR^itasya salilakriyaam || 2-14-16
tvayaa saputtrayaa naiva kartavyaa salilakriyaa |
vyaahantaasyashubhaachaare yadi raamaabhishhechanm || 2-14-17
16;17. ashubhaachaare = Oh; woman of vicious conduct! vyaahantaasi adi = If you obstruct; raamaabhishhechanam = Rama's installation ; salilakriya = offering of water; naiva kartavyaa = cannot be done; tvayaa = by you; suputrayaa = including your son; raamaH = Rama; kaarayitaryaH = will be made to do; salilakriyaam = the offering of water; me = to me; mR^itasya = after death.
"Oh, woman of vicious conduct! If you obstruct Rama's installation, you including your son cannot offer me water. Rama will be made to do the offering of water to me, after death.
na cha shaknomyahaM drashhuM puurvaM tathaa sukham |
hataharshhaM niraanandaM punarjanamavaaN^mukham || 2-14-18
18. dR^ishhTvaa = Having seen; janam = people; tathaa sukham = with that joy; puurvam = before; aham = I; na shaknomicha = cannot; drashhTum = see; punaH = again; hata harshham = their happiness ended; niraanandam = without joy; avaaNmukham = having face turned downwards.
"Having seen people with that joy before, I cannot see them with there happiness ended, without any merriment and having their faces turned downward in grief".
taaM tathaa bruvatstasya bhuumipanya mahaatmanaH |
prabhaataa sharvarii puNyaa chandranakshatrashraalinii || 2-14-19
19. tasya bhuumipasya = That king; mahaatmanaH = the great souled; bruvataH = speaking; taam = to her; tathaa = as aforesaid; puNyaa = the holy; sharvarii = night; chandra nakshhatra shaalinii = endowed with moon and stars; prabhaataa = began to become clear into a dawn.
While that great souled king was speaking to her as aforesaid, the holy night endowed with, moon and stars began to become clear into a dawn.
tataH paapa samaacaaraa kaikeyii paarthivam punaH |
uvaaca paruSham vaakyam vaakyaGYaa roSha muurchitaa ||2-14-20
20. tataH = Afterwards; kaikeyii = K aikeyi; paapa samaachaaraa = of vicious conduct; vaakyaG^yaa = of skillful talk; roshha puuritaa = filled with anger; punaH = again; uvacha = spoke; parushham = harsh; vaakyam = words; parthivam = to the king.
Kaikeyi of vicious conduct and of skilful talk, filled with anger again spoke these harsh words to the king.
kim idam bhaaShase raajan vaakyam gara ruja upamam |
aanaayayitum akliShTam putram raamam iha arhasi || 2-14-21
21. raajan = Oh; king ! bhaashhase = you are uttering; vaakyam = words; gararujopamam = li ke painful disease; (with difficulty in swallowing); idam kim = why is this? arhasi = you ought; anaayayitum = to summon; putram = your son; raamam = Rama; iha = here; aklishhTam = with out delay.
" Oh, king ! You are uttering words, which cannot be swallowed easily like in a painful throat disease. You ought to summon your son Rama here without any delay."
sthaapya raajye mama sutam kRtvaa raamam vane caram |
nihsapatnaam ca maam kRtvaa kRta kRtyo bhaviShyasi || 2-14-22
22. kR^ita kR^ityaH bhavishhyasi = You will be one who discharged duty; shthaapya = by installing ; mama sutam = my son; raajye = to kingdom kR^itvaa = by making; raamam = Rama; vane charam = wander in woods; kR^itvaa = by making; maam = me; niH sapatnaam = devoid of enemies.
"You will be the one who discharges duty, by installing my son to this kingdom, by making Rama to wander in woods and rid me of enemies."
sa nunnaiva tiikShena pratodena haya uttamaH |
raajaa pradocitaH abhiikShNam kaikeyiim idam abraviit || 2-14-23
23. prachoditaH = Impelled; abhiikshhNam = again and again; hayottama iva = like an excellent horse; nunnaH = thrashed; tiikshhNena = sever ely; pratodena with a whip; saH raajaa = that king; abraviit = spoke; idam = these words; kaikeyiim = to kaikeyi.
Impelled again and again by Kaikeyi, like an excellent horse being severely thrashed with a whip, that king spoke these words to Kaikeyi.
dharma bandhena baddho asmi naShTaa ca mama cetanaa |
jyeShTham putram priyam raamam draShTum icchaami dhaarmikam || 2-14-24
24. buddhaH = I am bound; dharma bandhena = by the ties of morality; mama chetanaacha = my judgement also; nashhTaa = is lost; ichchhaami = I wish; drashhTum = to see; raamam = Rama; dhaarmikam = the pious man; jyeshhTham = the eldest; priyam = the beloved.
"I am bound by the ties of morality. I lost my judgement. I wish to see the pious Rama, my beloved elder son."
tataH prabhaataaM rjaniimudite cha divaakare |
puNye nakshatrayoge che muhuurte cha samaahite || 2-14-25
vasishhTho guNasaMpannaH shishhyeH parivR^itastadaa |
upagR^ihyaashu saMbhaaraan [ravivesha purottamam || 2-14-26
25;26. tataH = Afterwards; raja niim = the night; prabhaataam = began to become clear; udite = with the rising; divaakare = sun; muhuurte = the moment ; puNye = which is auspicious; nakshhatra yoge cha = united with lunar mansion; samaahite = approaching; tadaa = then ; vasishhTaH = Vasista the sage; guNasapannaH = who is; rich with virtues; pravivesha = entered; aashu = briskly; pu rottamam = that capital city; parivR^itaH = surrounded; shishhyaiH = by disciples; upagR^ihya = having procured; sbhaaraan = requisite materials.
Meanwhile, the night began to become clear, with the rising of sun. While the auspicious, moment united with lunar mansion approaching, the sage Vashishta who is rich in virtues surrounded by his disciples entered the capital city of Ayodhya briskly, having procured the requisite materials for Rama's coronation.
siktasaMmaarjitapathaaM pataakottamabhuushhitaam |
vichitrakusumaakiirNaaM naanaasragbhirviraajitaam || 2-14-27
saMhR^ishhTamanujopetaaM samR^iddhavipaNaapaNaam |
mahotsavasamaakiirNaaM raaghavaarthe samustsukaam || 2-14-28
chandanaagurudhuupaishcha sarvataH pratidhuupitaam |
taaM puriim samatikramya purandarapuropamaam || 2-14-29
dadarshaantaH purashreshhThaM naanaadvijagaNaayutam |
paurajaanapadaakirrrNaM braahmaNairupashobhitam || 2-14-30
27;28;29;30. samitikramya = Passing through; taam puriim = that city; sikta sammaarjita ; pathaam = whose streets were swept and watered; pataakottama bhuushhitaam = decorated with excellent flags; vichitra kusumaakiirNam = overspread with colourful flowers; viraajitam = made ; brilliant; naanaa sragbhiH = with various types of garlands; samhR^ishhTa manujopetaam = filled with people of joy; samR^idhdhha vipaNaapaNaam = with shops and markets in abundance; mahotsava samaakiirNaam = filled with lot of festivities ; samutsakaam = anxiouslywaiting; raaghavarth e = for ; Rama; pratidhuupitaam = fumigated; sarvataH = on all sides; chandanaagarudhuupaiH = by perfumes of sandalwood and aloc; purandara puropamaam = resembling Amaravati city(capital of Indra) ; dadarsha = (the sage vasista) beheld)beheld; antaH pura shreshhTam = filled with many number of brahmanas; paurajaana padaakiirNam = crowded with citizens and country men; upashobhitam = splendourous; braahmaNaiH = with brahmanas; YajJNya vidhiH = with knowers of sacrificial rites; sadasyaiH = with members of sacrificial assembly; sampuurNam = filled; paramadvijaiH = with excellent brahmanas.
Passing through that city, whose streets were swept and watered decorated with , excellent flags, overspread with colourful flowers , made brilliant with various types of garlands, filled with people of joy, with shops and markets with abundance, filled with lot of festivities, anxiously waiting for Rama, fumigated on all sides with perfumes of sandalwood , also resembling Amaravathy city(capital of Indra); the sage Vashishta beheld the excellent, gynaecium filled with many a number of brahmanas, crowded with citizens and countrymen, looking splendorous with brahmanas, knowers of sacrificial assembly filled with excellent brahmanas.
tadantaH puramaasaadya vyatichakraama tam janam || 2-14-31
vasishhThaH paramapriitaH paramarshhirvivesha cha |
31. paramarshhiH = The sage; vasishhTaH = Vasista; paramapriitaH = bei ng well pleased; aasaadya = reaching; tat antaHpuram that gynaeceum; vyatichakraama = got past; janam = those people; viveshcha = and entered it.
Sage Vashishta, being well pleased of seeing that gynaecium, got past those people there and , entered it.
sa tvapashyadvinishhkraantaM sumantraM naama saarathim |
dvaare manujasiMhasya sachivaM priyadarshanm || 2-14-32
32. saH tu = That sage Vasista; apasyat = saw; sumantram naama = Sumantra by name; sachivam = who was minister; saarathim = and charioteer; priya darshanam = who had a pleasing appearance; dvaare = at the gate; manujasimhasya = of Dasaratha; the best of men; vinishhkraantam = coming out.
Meanwhile, Vashishta saw Sumantra by name, who was charioteer-cum-minister of Dasaratha and who had a pleasing appearance coming out of the royal gate.
tamuvaacha mahaatejaaH suutaputraM vishaaradam || 2-14-33
vasishhThaH kshipramaachakshva nR^ipate rmaamihaagatam |
33. vasishhTaH = Vasista; mahaa tejaaH = with great splendour; tamuvaacha = spoke thus; **suutaputram** to that son of a charioteer; vishaaradam = the wise man; aachakshhva = tell; nR^ipateH = the king; kshhipram = quickly; maam = about me; aagatam = having come; iha = here.
That great splendoured Vashishta spoke thus to the learned Sumantra, "Tell the king quickly, that I have come."
The word "suta" evidently denotes here the son of a kshatriya through a brahmana wife (his business being that of a bard or a charioteer)-Amarakosa.
ime gaN^godakaghaTaaH saagarebhyashcha kaaJNchanaaH || 2-14-34
audumbaraM bhadrapiiThamabhishhekaarthamaagatam |
sarvabiijaani gandhaashcha ratnaani vividhaani cha || 2-14-35
kshaudram dadhi ghR^itaM laajaa darbhaaH sumanasaH payaH |
ashhTau cha kanyaa ruchiraa mattashchha varavaaraNaH | 2-14-36
chaturashvo rathaH shriimaan nistriMsho dhanuruttamam |
vaahanaM narasaMyuktaM chatraM cha shashipannibham || 2-14-37
shvete cha vaalavyajane bhR^iN^gaarushchha hiraNmayaH |
hemadaamapinaddhashcha kikudmaan paaNDuro vR^ishhaH || 2-14-38
kesarii cha chaturdaMshhTro hi shreshhTho mahaabalaH |
siMhaanasnaM vyaaghratanuH samiddhashchha hutaashanaH || 2-14-39
sarvavaaditrasaMghaashcha veshyaashchhaalaMkR^itaaH striyaH |
aachaaryaa braahmaNaa gaavaH puNyashcha mR^igapakshiNaH || 2-14-40
paurajaanapadashreshhThaa naigamaashcha gaNaiH saha |
ete chaanye cha bahavo niiyamaanaaH priyamvadaaH || 2-14-41
abhishhekaaya raamasya saha tishhThanti paarthivaiH |
34;35;36;37;38;39;40;41. ime = These; gaNgodaka ghataaH = pitchers filled with holy waters of Ganga; sagarebhyaHcha = and of oceans ; kaaNchaanaaH = in gold pitchers; bhadra piitham = an excellent seat; andumbaram = made of Udambara wood; aagatam = came; abhishhekaartham = for the purpose of Rama's coronation; sarva biijaani = all types of seeds; gandhaaH = fragrant substances; ratnaanicha = and precious stones; vividhaani = of various kinds; kshhondram = honey; dadhi = curd; ghR^i tam = clarified butter; laazaaH = parched grains of paddy; darbhaaH = blades of Darbha grass; sumanasaH = flowers; papaH = milk; ashh Tau = eight; ruchiraaH = beatiful; kanyaaH = virgins; vaaraNaH = = elephant; mattaH = in rut; sriimaan = glorious; rathaH = chariot; chatur ashvaH = with four horses; mistrimshaH = a special kind of sword; called Nistrimsa; uttamam = excellent; dhanuH = bow; vaahanam = palanquin; narasamyuktam = with bearers; chhatram = umbrella; shashi sannibham = resembling the moon; sveta = while; vaalavyajane = chowries; hi raNmayaH = golden; bhR^ingaaruH = jug; pa aNduraH = bull; kakudmaan = with large hump on its back; hari shreshhTaH = excellent lion; kesarii = with beautiful mane; chaturdaamshTraH = with four large canine teeth; simhaasanam = a throne(with a pair of lions made of the same material for its charm); vyaaghratamH = tiger skin; hutaashanaH = fire; samiddhaH = = with ignition; sarva vaaditra sanghaH cha = all varieties of musical instruments; veshyaaH = courtisans; striyaaH = women; alankR^itaaH = decked with ornaments; aachaaryaaH = teachers; braahmaN aas = brahmanas; gaavaH = cows; mR^iga pakshhiNaH = animals and birds ; puNyaaH = which are sacred; paurajanapada shreshhTaaH = the best of citizens and men of country-side; naigamaaHcha = merchants; gaNa iH saha = along with their followers; ete = all these; bahavaH anyecha = and many; niiyamaanaaH = retainers; priyamvadaaH = speaking kind words; paarthivaiH saha = along with kings; tishhTanti = stand waiting for; raamasya = Rama's; abhishhekaaya = coron ation.
"These pitchers filled with holy waters of ganga , gold pitchers with sea water and an excellent seat with Udambara wood came for the purpose of Rama's installation ceremony. All types of seeds, fragrant substances and precious stones of various kinds, honey, curd, clarified butter, parched grains of paddy, blades of Darbha grass, flowers, milk, eight beautiful virgins , an elephant in rut, a glorious chariot with four horses, a special kind of sword called Nistrimsa, an excellent bow , a palanquin with bearers an umbrella resembling the moon , a pair of white chowries, a golden jug, a white bull with large , humo on its back, an excellent lion with beautiful mane with large canine teeth, a throne, a tiger skin, fire with ignition , all varieties of musical instruments,courtesans, women decked with ornaments, teachers, brahmanas, cows, animals and birds which are sacred, the best of citizens and men of country side, merchants along with their followers, all these and many other retainers speaking kind words, along with kings stand waiting for Rama's coronation.
tvarayasva mahaaraajaM yathaa samudite.ahani || 2-14-42
puNye nakshatrayoge cha raamo raajyamavaapnuyaat |
42. tvarayasya = Hasten; mahaar aajam = the emperor; yathaa = so that; raamaH = Rama; avaapnuyaat = will get the kingdom; ahani = when the day ; samudite = gets started; puNye = at the auspicious; nakshhatra yogecha = occation of constallation called pushya.
Hasten the emperor, so that Rama will get the throne when the day gets started at the auspicious moment of pushya constellation uniting with the moon"
iti tasya vachaH shrutvaa suutaputro mahaatmanaH || 2-14-43
stuvannR^ipatishaardhuulaM pravivesha niveshanam |
43. suute putraH = Sumantra; shrutvaaa = hearing; iti = th ese; vachaH = words; tasya mahaatmanaH = of Vasista; the great souled; pravivesha = entered; niveshanam = the gynaeceum; stuvan = enlogging; nR^ipati shaarduulam = Dasaratha; that tiger among kings.
Hearing these words Vashishta the great souled, Sumantra entered the gynaecium along with Dasaratha, the tiger among kings.
taM tu puurvoditaM vR^iddhaM dvaarasthaa raajasammatam || 2-14-44
na shekurabhisaMroddhuM raajJNH prayachikiirshhvaH |
44. dvaarasthaaH = The doormen; priyachikiirshhavaH = who were wishing to do kindness ; raajJNaH = to king; na shekuH = could not; abhisamroddum = obstruct; tamtu = him; p uurvoditam = who came before hand; vR^iddham = who was senior; raaja sammatam = who was esteemed by the king.
The doormen , who were wishing to do kindness to king, could not obstruct Sumantra, who came before hand who was senior and who was highly esteemed by the king.
sa saviipasthito raajJNstaamavasthaamajajJNiivaan || 2-14-45
vaagbhiH paramatushhTaabhirabhishhTotuM prachakrame |
45. samiipasthitaH = standing besides; raajJNaH = the king; ; ajajJNivaan = ignorant of; taam = that; avasthaam = situation; saH = he; p achakrame = started; abhishhTotum = prai sing; ; tushhTaabhiH = with very pleasing; vagbhiH = words.
Standing besides the king and ignorant of that situation, Sumantra started praising the king with very pleasing words.
tataH suuto yathaakaalaM paarthivasya niveshane || 2-14-46
sumantraH praaJNjalirbhuutvaa tushhTaava jagatiipatim |
46. tataH = Afterwards; sumant raH = Sumantra; suutaH = the charioteer; bhuutraa = befittingly; niveshane = i n gynaeceum; paarthivasya = of the king ; tushhTaava = enlogised; jagatiipatim = the king; yathaakaalam = according to the moment suitable.
Sumantra, standing with joined palms in the gynaecium of the king, eulogised the king according to the appropriate moment as follows.
yathaa nandati tejasvii saagaro bhaaskarodaye |
priitah priitena manasaa tathaanandaghanaH svataH || 2-14-47
47. yatha = How; tejasvii = the splendid ; saagaraH = ocean; nandati = gladdens; bhaskar odaye = at the time of sunrise; tathaa = so; aananda ghanaH = you filled with delight; svataH = by nature; priitaH = gladden (us); manasaa = with your mind; priitena = delighted.
"How the splendid ocean gladdens at the time of sunrise, so do you by nature filled with delight, gladden us with your delighted mind."
indramasyaaM tu veLaayaamabhitushhTaava maataliH || 2-14-48
so.ajayaddhaanavaansarvaaMstathaa tvaaM bodhayaamyaham |
48. asyaam veLaayaam = At this very hour; maataliH = Matali(Indra's charioteer)abhitushhTaava = praised; indram = Indra; saH = that Indra; ajayat = conquered ; sarvaan = all; daanavaan = the demons; tathaa = this; aham = I; bodhayaami = am awakening; tvaam = you.
"At the very hour of sunrise, Matali (Indra's charioteer)praised Indra and the latter conquered all the demons. In the same manner, I am awakening you."
vedaaH sahaaN^gavidyaashchha yathaahyaatmabhuvam vibhum || 2-14-49
brahmaaNam bodhayantyadya tathaa tvaaM bodhayaamyaham |
49. tathaa = So; aham = I; bodhayaami = am awakening; tvaam = you; adya = now; yathaa = as ; vedaaH = vedas; sahaaNga vidyaaH = along with the knowledge of limbs of the body; bodhayanti = guide** vibhum = Lord; brahmaaNam = Brahma; aatma ; bhuvam = self born
"As Vedas along with the knowledge of the limbs of the body guide Lord Brahma (the creator) who is self born, so am I awakening you now."
Brahma derives his knowledge of objects to be evolved at the beginning of creation from the Vedas.
aadityaH saha chandreNa yathaa bhuutadharaaM shubhaam || 2-14-50
bodhayatyadya pR^ithiviiM tathaa tvaam bodhayaamyaham |
50. yathaa = Even as aadityaH = sun; sahachandreNa = along with moon ; bodhayati = awaken; shubhaam = the beautiful; pR^ithiviim = earth; bhuutadharaam = which sustains the ; living beings; tathaa = so; aham = I; bodhayaami = am awakening ; tvaam = you."
"Even as the sun along with the moon awaken the beautiful earth which sustains the beings so, am I awakening you."
uttishhThaashu mahaaraaja kR^itakautukamaN^gaLaH || 2-14-51
viraajamaano vapushhaa meroriva divaakaraH |
51. mahaaraaja = Oh; Majesty!; u ttishhThaH = raise up; divaakaraH iva = like a sun ; ; meroH = from mount Meru; vapushhaa = with body; viraajamaanaH = shining brilliantly; kR^ita kantuka ; maN^gaLaH = and dressed suitably for the auspicious ceremony.
"Having dressed suitably for the auspicious ceremony and shining brightly with you personality, raise up. Oh, Majesty, like the sun from mount Meru."
somasuuryau cha kaakutthsa shivavaishravaNaavapi || 2-14-52
varuNaashchhagnirindrashcha vijayaM pradishntu te |
52. kaakutthsa = Oh; Dasarath a born in kakutsa dynasty! soma suuryoncha = Sun and the moon; shiva vaishravaNaavapi = Shiva and Kubera; varuNaH = varuna; agniH = Agni; indraHcha = a nd Indra; pradishantu = bestow; te = you; vijayam = victory!
"Oh, Dasaratha born in Kakutsa dynasty! May the Gods -Sun and the Moon Shiva and Kubera, Varuna, Agni and Indra bestow you victory!"
gataa bhagavatii raatriH kR^itakR^itya midaM tava || 2-14-53
buddhyasva sR^ipashaarduula kuru kaaryamanantaram |
udatishhThata raamasya samagramabhishhechanm || 2-14-54
58. mahiipatiH = King Dasaratha; iti = thus; shrutvaa = hearing; tasya vachaH = his words; arthavat = which were meaningful; saantva puurvamiva = and which were very soothing ; abhyakiiryata = was surrounded ; shokena = with grief; bhuumya eva = once more.
"Oh, the best of the kings ! The holy night has gone by. Know what has been done and do what has to be done. All the requirements for Rama's coronation is kept ready" .
paurajaanapadaishchaapi naigamaishcha kR^itaaJNjaliH |
svayaM vasishhTho bhagavaan braahmaNaiH saha tishhThati || 2-14-55
55. bhagavaan = The venerable; vasishhThaH = Vasishta; svayam = hi mself ; tishhThati = stands; bhaahmaNaiH scha = along with brahmanas; kR^itaaJNjaliH = being saluted with joined palms by; paura jaanapadaishchaapi = citizens and village folks; naigamaishcha = and merchants.
"The venerable Vashishta himself stands waiting at the gate along with brahmanas, being saluted saluted with joined palms by citizens, village folk and merchants."
kshipramaajJNpyataaM raajan raaghavasyaabhishhechanm |
yathaa hyapaalaaH pashavo yathaa senaa hyaanaayakaa || 2-14-56
yathaa chndraM vinaa raatriryathaa gaavo vinaa vR^ishham |
evaM hi bhavitaa raashhTraM yatra raajaa na dR^ishyate || 2-14-57
56;57. raajan = Oh; king!; aajJNaapyat aam = Give orders ; kshhipram = quickly ; raaghavasya = for Rama's; abhishhechanam = coronation ceremony; raashhTram = a state; yatra = in which; raajaa = a king; na dR^ishyate = is not seen; evam = thus; bhavitaahi = indeed becomes ; yathaa = how; pashavaH = cattle is ; apaalaaH = without herdsman; yathaa = how; senaa = army is; anaayakaH ; without commander; yathaa = how; raatriH = night is; chandram vinaa = without moon; yathaa = how; gavaaH = cows are; vR^ishham vinaa = without bull.
"Oh king! Give orders quickly for Rama's coronation ceremony. A kingdom without a king is like cattle without a herdsman, army without a commander, night without the moon and cows without a bull."
iti tasya vachaH shrutvaa saantvapuurvamivaarthavat |
abhyakiiryata shokena bhuuya eva mahiipatiH || 2-14-58
58. mahiipatiH = King Dasaratha; iti = thus; shrutvaa = hearing; tasya vachaH = = his words; arthavat = which were meaningful; saantva puurvamiva = and which were very soothing ; abhyakiiryata = was surrounded ; shokena = with grief; bhuumya eva = once more.
King Dasaratha hearing his words which were soothing and meaningful, was surrounded with grief once more.
tataH sa raajaa tam suutam sanna harShaH sutam prati |
shoka aarakta iikShaNaH shriimaan udviikShya uvaaca dhaarmikaH || 2-14 59
vaakyaistu khalu marmaaNi mama bhuuyo nikR^intasi |
59. saH raajaa = That king ; dhaarmikaH = who was pious; shriimaan = and glorious; sannaharshha = having lost joy; sutam prati = about his son; udvuikshhya = looked up; shoka raktekshhaNaH = with burning red eyes ; uvaacha = spoke; tam suutam = to that charioteer; nikR^intasi = "You are chopping off; mama = my; marmaaNi = vitals; bhuuyaH eva = further; vaakyaiH = with words"
That king who was pious and glorious, having lost joy about his son, looked up with sorrowful red eyes and spoke those to Sumantra. "You are chopping off my vitals further more, with your words!."
sumantraH karuNam shrutvaa dRShTvaa diinam ca paarthivam || 2-14-60
pragRhiita anjaliH ki.ncit tasmaat deshaat apaakraman |
60. sumantraH = Sumantra; srutva a = hearing; karuNam = mournful words; dR^ishhTvaacha = and seeing ; diinam = depressed; paarthivam = king; pragR^i hiitaaJNjaliH = taken upon himself the joined palms; apaakramat = slipped away; kiNchit = a little; tasmaat deshaat = from that place.
Sumantra, after seeing the depressed king and hearing mournful words, joined palms with salutation and slipped away to a distance from that place.
yadaa vaktum svayam dainyaan na shashaaka mahii patiH || 2-14-61
tadaa sumantram mantraGYaa kaikeyii pratyuvaaca ha |
61. yadaa = when; mahiipati H = the king; na shashaaka = could not; vaktum = say; svayam = himself; dainyaat = due to depression; tadaa = then; kaikeyi = Kaikeyi; mantrajJNaa = who is experienced in fore-thoughts; pratyuvaachaha = replied; suman tram = to Sumantra.
Dasaratha could not say any thing himself because of depression. Then, Kaikeyi who is experienced in fore-thoughts, spoke thus to Sumantra.
sumantra raajaa rajaniiM raamaharshhasamutsukaH || 2-14-62
prajaagaraparishraanto nidraavashamupeyuvaan |
62. sumantra = Oh; Sumantra! raajaa = The king; raama harshha samutsakah = getting emotional by the joy related to Rama; prajaagaraparishraantaH = was tired of awakening ; rajaniim = the whole night; upeyivaam = got; nidraavasham = subjected to sleep.
"Oh Sumantra! The king, being smitten by emotional joy in relation to Rama, who tired of awakening the whole night and got subjected to sleep"
tadgachchha tvaritaM suuta raajaputraM yashasvinam || 2-14-63
raamamaanaya bhadraM te naatra kaaryaa vichaaraNaa |
63. suuta = Oh; sumantra!; tat = Hence; tvaritam = quickly; gachchha = proceed; aanaya = to bring; raamam = Rama; yashasvinam = the glorious; raajaputram = prince; bhadram = blessedness ; te = to you; na kaaryaa = do not form; vichaara Naa = hesitation; atra = in the matter.
"Oh, Sumantra! Hence, quickly go and bring the glorious prince Rama. Blessedness to you! Do not have any hesitation in this matter. "
sa manyamaanaH kalyaaNam hR^idayena nannandha cha || 2-14-64
nirjagaama cha saMpriityaa tvarito raajashaasanaat |
64. saH = He; manyamaanaH = was thinking; kalyaanam = of auspicious occasion; hR^idayena = in heart; nanandacha = and rejoiced; sampriityaa = With pleasure; nirjagaama = he started; tvaritaH = hurriedly; raaja shaasanaat = by the orders of the king.
"He was thinking of that auspicious occasion in heart and rejoiced. With pleasure, he set out, by the orders of the king."
sumantrashchintayaamaasa tvaritaM choditastayaa || 2-14-65
vyaktaM raamo.abhishhekaarthamihaayaasyati dharmavit |
65. chiditaH = Instigated; tayaa = by her; sumantraH = Sumantra; chintayaamaasa = thought(thus); raamaH = Rama; dharmavit = the righteous; aayaasya = will come ; iha = here; abhishhekaarthan = for coronation; vyaktam = certainly.
Instigated by her, Sumantra thought that the righteous Rama would come there certainly for coronation.
iti suuto matiM kR^itvaa harshheNa mahataa vR^itaH || 2-14-66
nirjagaama mahaabaaho raaghavasya didR^ikshayaa |
66. suutaH = Sumantra; iti = thus; matimkR^itvaa = thinking ; mahataa harshheNa = in great joy; nirjagaama = set out; didR^ikshhayaa = with desire to see; raaghavasya = Rama; mahaabaaho = the long armed
Sumantra thus thinking and dwelling in a great joy, set out with a desire to see the long armed Rama
saagarahradasaMkaashaatsumantro.antaHpuraachchhubhaat || 2-14-67
nishhkramya janasaMbaadhaM dadarsha dvaaramagrataH |
67. sumantraH = Sumantra; nishhkramya = coming out; antaHpuraat = of gynaeceum; shubhaat = splendid; saagrahrada sankaashaat = like a pool in the sea; dadarsha = saw; dvaaram = the gate; jana sambaadhaam = looking congested; with men; agrahataH = in front.
Sumantra coming out of gynaceumwhich looked like a splendid pool in the sea, saw the gate being congested with throngs of people.
tataH purastatsaasaa vinirgato |
mahiipatiin dvaaragato vilokayan |
dadarsha pauraan vividhaanmahaadhanaa |
nupasthitaan dvaaramupetya vishhThataan || 2-14-68
68. tatah = Afterwards; vinirgataH = going out; purastaat = further on; dvaaragataH = approached the entrance; vilokayan = by seeing; dvaaram = the gate; upetya = come nearer; dadarsha = saw; mahiipatiim = kings; vishhTitaam = stationed; mahaadhanaan = very rich; pauraan = citizens; upasthitaan = having arrived.
Afterwards, proceeding further on, he saw near the gate some kings stationed there and very rich citizens having arrived there.
- - -
|| ityaarshe sriimadraamaayane aadikaavye ayodhyakaande chaturdashaH sargaH ||
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© 1999, K.M.K.Murthy
What the world says about
verse and locator
uploaded by FREE Go FTP Client