Seetha agrees to the instructions given by Anasuya on the duties of a devoted wife. At the end of the conversation with Seetha, Anasuya requests her to ask for a boon, and highly pleased with her, Anasuya bestows heavenly flowers and ornaments on her. Anasuya then requests Seetha to relate to her the story of her marriage with Rama. Then Seetha relates that story to Anasuya in detail.
सा तु एवम् उक्ता वैदेही अनसूयान् असूयया |
प्रतिपूज्य वचो मन्दम् प्रवक्तुम् उपचक्रमे || २-११८-१
1. saa vaidehii = that Seetha; anasuuyaa = without any jealousy; evam = thus; uktaa = spoken; anasuuyayaa = by Anasuya; pratipuujya = with full reverence to; vachaH = her word; upachakrame = and began; pravaktum = to speak; mandam = gently (as follows):
Anasuya having spoken thus, Seetha without any jealousy, full of reverence for her, addressed her gently as follows:
न एतद् आश्चर्यम् आर्याया यन् माम् त्वम् अनुभाषसे |
विदितम् तु मम अप्य् एतद् यथा नार्याः पतिर् गुरुः || २-११८-२
2. na = It is not; aashcharyan = a surprise; yat tvam = that you; aaryaayaaH = a venerable woman like you; abhibhaaSate = talk; maam = to me; etat = like this; viditam tu = It is known; mamaapi = to me too; etat = this acclamation; yathaa = how; patiH = a husband; guruH = is a respectable person; naaryaaH = for a woman.
"It is not a surprise that a venerable woman like a you, talk to me like this, for, I know well that a husband is a respectable person for a woman."
यद्य् अप्य् एष भवेद् भर्ता मम आर्ये वृत्त वर्जितः |
अद्वैधम् उपवर्तव्यः तथा अप्य् एष मया भवेत् || २-११८-३
3. aarye = O; venerable woman!; yadyapi = even if; eSaH = this; mama bhartaa = my husband; bhavet = be; vR^itta arjitaH = without fortune; eSaH = he; tathaapi = even the; advaidham = should unhesitatingly; upachartavyaH = be obeyed; mayaa = by me.
"O, venerable woman! Even if my husband be without fortune, he should unhesitatingly be obeyed by me."
किम् पुनर् यो गुण श्लाघ्यः सानुक्रोशो जित इन्द्रियः |
स्थिर अनुरागो धर्म आत्मा मातृ वर्ती पितृ प्रियः || २-११८-४
4. kim punaH = how much more; yaH = if he be; gunaH shlaaghyaH = renowned for his virtues; saamkroshaH = compassionate; jitendriyaH = master of my heart; sthiraanuraagaH = who is ever affectionate; dharmaatmaa = a religious person; priyaH = and manifests the tenderness; maatR^ivat = of a mother; pitR^ivat = and a father (to me).
"How much more, if he be renowned for his virtues, compassionate, master of my heart, who is ever affectionate, a religious person, manifests the tenderness of a mother and a father to me."
याम् वृत्तिम् वर्तते रामः कौसल्यायाम् महा बलः |
ताम् एव नृप नारीणाम् अन्यासाम् अपि वर्तते || २-११८-५
5. mahaabalaH = the exceedingly strong; raamaH = Rama; vartate = bears; taameva = himself; a nyaasaam = to all other; nR^ipanaariiNaamapi = Queens; yaam vartate = as he exercises; vR^ittim = his behaviour; kausalyaayaam = towards Kausalya.
The exceedingly strong Rama bears himself to all other Queens, as he exercises his behaviour towards his mother, Kausalya."
सकृद् दृष्टासु अपि स्त्रीषु नृपेण नृप वत्सलः |
मातृवद् वर्तते वीरो मानम् उत्सृज्य धर्मवित् || २-११८-६
6. viiraH = the valiant Rama; nR^ipavatsalaH = who has affection towards Dasaratha; dharmavit = and who knows righteousness; vartate = behaves; maatR^ivat = like with a mother; striiSvapi = towards even the women; dR^iSTaasu = who were seen; nR^ipaNa = by Dasaratha; sakR^it = even once; utsR^ijya = free from; maanam = all sense of importance.
"The valiant and pious Rama who is devoted to Dasartha and free from all sense of importance treats all those women as his mothers on whom Dasaratha has even once bestowed a single glance."
आगग्च्छन्त्याः च विजनम् वनम् एवम् भय आवहम् |
समाहितम् हि मे श्वश्र्वा हृदये यत् स्थितम् महत् || २-११८-७
7. aagachchhantyaaH = while departing; evam = thus; bhayaavaham = for a fearful; vijanam = and lonely; vanam = forest; dhR^itam = I am hR^idaye = in my heart; tat = that; mahat = great message; samaahitam = imparted; me = to me; shvashraa = by my mother-in-law.
"While departing for the lonely and fearful forest, my mother-in-law imparted a great message to me, which I have inscribed in my heart."
प्राणि प्रदान काले च यत् पुरा तु अग्नि सम्निधौ |
अनुशिष्टा जनन्या अस्मि वाक्यम् तद् अपि मे धृतम् || २-११८-८
8. puraa = earlier; paaNipraadaana kaale = at the time of my marriage; agnisannidhau = in the vicinity of a fire; yat = which; vaakyam = words; asmi = I was; anushiSTaa = taught; jananyaa = by my mother; tadapi = those words dhR^itam = are detained; me = by me.
"What my mother taught me when witnessed by the fire, earlier at the time of my marriage with Rama, I shall always remember them."
नवी कृतम् तु तत् सर्वम् वाक्यैः ते धर्म चारिणि |
पति शुश्रूषणान् नार्याः तपो न अन्यद् विधीयते || २-११८-९
9. dharma chaariNi = O; virtuous woman!; te vaakyaiH = by your words; tat sarvam = all that; naviikR^itam = is being renewed; anyat = other than; patishushruuSaNaat = obedience to one's husband; na tapaH = no austerity; vidhiiyate = is decreed; maaryaaH = for a woman.
"O, virtuous woman! By your words, all that is being renewed. No austerity, other than obedience to one's husband is decreed for a woman."
सावित्री पति शुश्रूषाम् कृत्वा स्वर्गे महीयते ||
तथा वृत्तिः च याता त्वम् पति शुश्रूषया दिवम् || २-११८-१०
10. saavitrii = Savitri*; mahiiyate = is highly honoured; svarge = in heaven; kR^itvaa = for having done; patishushruuSaam = service to her lord; tvam cha = you too; tathaa vR^ithiH = having such a conduct; yaataa = will proceed; divam = to heaven; pati shushruuSayaa = by obedience to your husband.
Savitri* is now highly honoured in heaven, for having served her lord faithfully heaven, You too, having followed this, will proceed to heaven, in showing obedience to your husband."
SAvitri was the celebrated wife of Prince Satyavan.
वरिष्ठा सर्व नारीणाम् एषा च दिवि देवता |
रोहिणी च विना चन्द्रम् मुहूर्तम् अपि दृश्यते || २-११८-११
11. eSaa rohiNii = This goddess Rohini; variSThaa = the excellent; sarva nariiNaam = among all the women; na dR^ishyate = is not seen; chandram vinaa = without the moon; muhuurtamapi = even for a moment; divi = in the sky.
"This goddess Rohini, the excellent among all women, is not seen without the moon even for a single moment in the sky."
एवम् विधाः च प्रवराः स्त्रियो भर्तृ दृढ व्रताः |
देव लोके महीयन्ते पुण्येन स्वेन कर्मणा || २-११८-१२
12. evam vidhaaH = such; pravaraaH = excellent; striyaH = women; bhartR^idriDha vrataaH = devoted to their husbands; svena = by their own; puNyena = meritorious; karmaNaa = deed; mahiiyante = are highly honoured; devaloke = in heaven.
"Such excellent women, devoted to their husbands, and by their meritorious deeds, are highly honoured in heaven."
ततो अनसूया सम्हृष्टा श्रुत्वा उक्तम् सीतया वचः |
शिरस्य् आघ्राय च उवाच मैथिलीम् हर्षयन्त्य् उत || २-११८-१३
13. tataH = then; shrutvaa = hearing; vachaH = the words; uktam = spoken; siitayaa = by Seetha; anasuuyaa = Anasuya; samhR^iSTaa = was very much pleased; aaghraaya = kissed on; shirasi = the head; maithiliim = of Seetha; uvaacha = and spoke; harSayantii = delightfully (as follows)
Hearing the words of Seetha, Anasuya was very much pleased, kissed on Seetha's forehead and spoke delightfully (as follows)
नियमैर् विविधैर् आप्तम् तपो हि महद् अस्ति मे |
तत् संश्रित्य बलम् सीते चन्दये त्वाम् शुचि व्रते || २-११८-१४
14. siite = O; Seetha; shuchi smite = with a bright smile!; asti hi = there is indeed; mahat = a great; tapaH = merit; aaptam = acquired; me = by me; vividhaiH = in virtue of my various; niyamaiH = pious observances; samshritya = taking shelter; tat balam = of that power; chhandaye = I wish to confer a boon; tvaam = on you.
"O, Seetha with a bright smile! There is a great merit acquired by me in virtue of my various pious observances. Through that power, I wish to confer a boon on you."
उपपन्नम् च युक्तम् च वचनम् तव मैथिलि |
प्रीता च अस्म्य् उचितम् किम् ते करवाणि ब्रवीह्यहम् || २-११८-१५
15. maithili = O; Seetha!; tava rachanam = your words; upapannam = are suited for the occasion; manojJNamcha = and are charming too; asmi = I am; priitaa = satisfied; braviihi = tell; me = me; kim = what; uchitam good; aham karavaaNi = I may do; te = for you.
"O, Seetha! Your words are suitable for the occasion and are charming too. I am satisfied. Tell me what good I may do for you."
तस्यास्तद्वचनम् श्रुत्वा विस्मिता मन्दविस्मया |
कृतम् इत्य् अब्रवीत् सीता तपो बल समन्विताम् || २-११८-१६
16. shrutvaa = hearing; tadvachanam = those words; tasyaaH = of Anasuya; siitaa = Seetha; vismitaa = was surprised; mandavismayaa = and with gentle smile; abraviit = spoke; tapobala samanvitam = to Anasuya who was richly endowed with the power of askesis; (as follows): kR^itamiti = "Everything stands fulfilled (by your grace)."
Hearing those words of Anasuya, Seetha was surprised and with a gentle smile spoke to her, who was richly endowed with the power of askesis, saying; "Everything stands fulfilled (by your grace).
सा तु एवम् उक्ता धर्मज्ना तया प्रीततरा अभवत् |
सफलम् च प्रहर्षम् ते हन्त सीते करोम्यहम् || २-११८-१७
17. evam = thus; uktaa = spoken; tayaa = by that Seetha; saa = that Anasuya; dharmajNaa = the pious minded; abhavat = became; priita taraa = more delighted; siite = O; Seetha!; hanta = Alas!; aham = I; karomi = will create; praharSam = a great joy; te = for you; saphalam = which will be to your advantage.
Thus spoken by Seetha, the pious-minded Anasuya became more delighted and said: "O, Seetha! Alas! I will create a great joy for you, which will be to your advantage."
इदम् दिव्यम् वरम् माल्यम् वस्त्रम् आभरणानि च |
अन्ग रागम् च वैदेहि महा अर्हम् अनुलेपनम् || २-११८-१८
मया दत्तम् इदम् सीते तव गात्राणि शोभयेत् |
अनुरूपम् असम्क्लिष्टम् नित्यम् एव भविष्यति || २-११८-१९
18; 19. siite = O; Seetha; vaidehi = the daughter of Videha kingdom!; idam = here are; divyam = divine; varam = gifts; maalyam = a garland; vastram = apparel; aabharaNaanicha = jewels; aN^ga raagamcha = scented cosmetic; mahaarham = and a rare; anulepanamcha = cream; idam = these are all; dattam = given; mayaa = by me; shobhayet = to adorn; tava = your; gaatraaNi = limbs; nityameva = It wll be ever; anuruupam = worthy of you; bhaviSyati = and will remain; asamkliSTam = intact (even after constant use).
"O, Seetha, the daughter of Videha kingdom! Here are divine gifts: a garland, an apparel, jewels, a scented cosmetic and rare body-cream. These are all given by me to adorn your limbs. They will be ever worthy of your and will remain in tact (even after constant use)."
अन्ग रागेण दिव्येन लिप्त अन्गी जनक आत्मजे |
शोभयिष्यामि भर्तारम् यथा श्रीर् विष्णुम् अव्ययम् || २-११८-२०
20. janakaatmaje = O; Seetha! liptaaN^gii = your body; anointed; divyena = with this celestial; aN^garaageNa = cosmetic; shobhayiSyasi bhartaaram = will cause yourhusabdn to look beautiful; yathaa = as; shriiH = Lakshmi (the goddess of fortune and beauty); (does); avyayam = the imperishable; viSNum = Vishnu (the lord of preservation).
"O, Seetha! Your body, anointed with these heavenly cosmetics, will cause your husband to look beautiful, as Lakshmi (the goddess of fortune and beauty) does the imperishable Vishnu (the Lord of Preservation)."
सा वस्त्रम् अन्ग रागम् च भूषणानि स्रजः तथा |
मैथिली प्रतिजग्राह प्रीति दानम् अनुत्तमम् || २-११८-२१
21. saa maithilii = that Seetha; pratijagraaha = accepted; vastram = the apparel; aNgaraagam cha = the scented cosmetic; bhuuSaNaani = the jewels; tathaa = and; srajaH = the garlands; anuttamam = as unsurpassed priitidaanam = gifts of love.
Seetha accepted the apparel, the scented cosmetic, the jewels and the garlands as unsurpassed gifts of love.
प्रतिगृह्य च तत् सीता प्रीति दानम् यशस्विनी |
श्लिष्ट अन्जलि पुटा धीरा समुपास्त तपो धनाम् || २-११८-२२
22. yashasvinii = the illustrious; siitaa = Seetha; pratigR^ihya = having accepted; tat = those; priitidaanam = gifts of love; shliSTaajJNalipuTaa = with joined palms; samupaasta = sat near; tapodhanaam = that female ascetic.
Having accepted those gifts of love, the illustrious Seetha with joined palms, sat near that female ascetic.
तथा सीताम् उपासीनाम् अनसूया दृढ व्रता |
वचनम् प्रष्टुम् आरेभे कांचिद् त्प्रियाम् कथामनु || २-११८-२३
23. praSTum = to inquire about; priyakathaamanu = a lovely tale; kaamchit = of once upon a time; anasuuyaa = Anasuya; dR^iDhavrataa = who was firm in austerity; aarebhe = started (asking); vachanam = (the following) words; siitaam = to Seetha; upaasiinaam = who was sitting near her;tathaa = in that manner.
To inquire about a lovely tale of once upon a time, Anasuya who was firm in austerity, started asking the following words to Seetha who was sitting near her in that manner.
स्वयम् वरे किल प्राप्ता त्वम् अनेन यशस्विना |
राघवेण इति मे सीते कथा श्रुतिम् उपागता || २-११८-२४
24. siite = O; Seetha! kila = It is so said that; tvam = you; praaptaa = were received as a wife; raaghaveNa = by Rama; yashasvinaa = the illustrious man; svayamvare = through a process of your self-choosing; iti = this; kathaa = report; upaagataa = has reached; me = my; shrutim = ear.
"O, Seetha! It is so said that you were won by the illustrious Rama through a process of your self-choosing (svayamvara)*. This report has reached my ear."
*Svayamvara= the ceremony of self-choice, when a princess chooses her own consort from the royal suitors assembled, by placing a garland around his neck.
ताम् कथाम् श्रोतुम् इग्च्छामि विस्तरेण च मैथिलि |
यथा अनुभूतम् कार्त्स्न्येन तन् मे त्वम् वक्तुम् अर्हसि || २-११८-२५
25. maithili = O; Seetha!; ichchhaami = I wish; shrotum = to hear; taam = that narrative; vistareNa = in detail; tat = hence; tvam = you; arhasi = ought; vaktum = to tell; kaarsnnyena = in full; yathaanubhuutam = as you experience it.
"O, Seetha! I wish to hear that narrative in detail. Hence, tell me that tale in full as you experienced it."
एवम् उक्ता तु सा सीता ताम् ततो धर्म चारिणीम् |
श्रूयताम् इति च उक्त्वा वै कथयाम् आस ताम् कथाम् || २-११८-२६
26. saa siitaa = that Seetha; uktaa = having been spoken; evam = thus; tataH = then; uktvaa = said; iti shruuyataam = "Let this be heard"; kathayaamaasa = and narrated; taam kathaam = that tale; vai = truly; taam = to that; dharmachaariNiim = Anasuya = the virtuous woman.
Then, Seetha obediently answered, saying "Hear me" and began to truly narrate that tale of Svayamvara to the virtuous woman, Anasuya."
मिथिला अधिपतिर् वीरो जनको नाम धर्मवित् |
क्षत्र धर्मण्य् अभिरतो न्यायतः शास्ति मेदिनीम् || २-११८-२७
27. mithilaadhipatiH = A king of Mithila kingdom; janakonaama = named Janaka; viiraH = who was valiant; dharmavit = and knower of righteousness; abhirataH = was devoted to; kSatra dharme = the duty of a Warrior class; shaasti = and was ruling; mediniim = the earth; nyaataH = in a fitting manner.
"A king of Mithila kingdom, named Janaka who was valiant and a knower of righteousness, was devoted to the duty of his warrior class and was ruling the earth in a fitting manner."
तस्य लान्गल हस्तस्य कर्षतः क्षेत्र मण्डलम् |
अहम् किल उत्थिता भित्त्वा जगतीम् नृपतेः सुता || २-११८-२८
28. tasya = (While) he; karSataH = was furrowing kSetra maNDalam = a territory of land; laaNgala hastasya = holding a plough in his hand; kila = it is so said that; aham = I; utthitaa = came forth; bhitvaa = splitting; jagatiim = the land; sutaa = as a daughter; nR^ipateH = of that king.
"While he was furrowing a territory of land, holding a plough in his hand, it is so said that I came forth, splitting up the land, as a daughter of that king."
स माम् दृष्ट्वा नर पतिर् मुष्टि विक्षेप तत् परः |
पांशु गुण्ठित सर्व अन्गीम् विस्मितो जनको अभवत् || २-११८-२९
29. saH janakaH = that Janaka; narapatiH = the king; muSTi vikSepa tatparaH = who was absorbed in scattering handfuls of seeds; abhavat = became; vismitaH = surprised; dR^iSTvaa = to see; maam = me; paa su guNThita sarvaaNgii = with all my limbs covered with dust.
"The king Janaka, who was absorbed in scattering handfuls of seeds was surprised to see me, with all my limbs covered with dust."
अनपत्येन च स्नेहाद् अन्कम् आरोप्य च स्वयम् |
मम इयम् तनया इत्य् उक्त्वा स्नेहो मयि निपातितः || २-११८-३०
30. aaropya = placing me; svayam = himself; aNkam = in his lap; snchaat = with affection; anapatyena = that childless king; Janaka; uktvaa = spoke; iti = thus; iyam = She; mama tanayaa = is my daughter; snehaH = and his fondness; nipaatitaH = got a place.
"Placing me personally in his lap with affection, that childless king Janaka called one as his daughter, and was very fond of me since then."
अन्तरिक्षे च वाग् उक्ता अप्रतिमा मानुषी किल |
एवम् एतन् नर पते धर्मेण तनया तव || २-११८-३१
31. kila = It is so said; vaak = A voice resembling that of a human being; antarikSe = in the air above me; uktaa = rang out; (saying); narapate = O; King!; evam etat = let it be so; amaanuSii = this divine being; apratimaa = without a match; tanayaa = is a daughter; tava = to you; dharmayaa = rightly.
"It is said that voice resembling that of a human being in the air above me rang out, saying": "O, King! Let it be so. This divine child without a match is a daughter to you, rightly."
ततः प्रहृष्टो धर्म आत्मा पिता मे मिथिला अधिपः |
अवाप्तो विपुलाम् ऋद्धिम् माम् अवाप्य नर अधिपः || २-११८-३२
32. tataH = thereafter; me pitaa = my father; dharmaatmaa = the pious minded; maraadhipaH = the lord of men; mithilaadhipaH = and the king of Mithila kingdom; prahR^iSTaH = was rejoiced; maam avaapya = in my possession; avaaptaH = and acquired; vipulaam = extensive; R^iddhim = property.
"Thereafter, my father the pious mind the lord of men and the king of Mithila kingdom was rejoiced in my possession and acquired extensive property."
दत्त्वा च अस्मि इष्टवद् देव्यै ज्येष्ठायै पुण्य कर्मणा |
तया सम्भाविता च अस्मि स्निग्धया मातृ सौहृदात् || २-११८-३३
33. puNyakarmaNaa = by that king performing auspicious acts; asmi = I was; datta = given; iSTavat = into the care of; jyeSThaayai devajai = the chief Queen; asmi = I was; sambhaavitaa = nourished; maatR^i sauhR^idaat = with maternal affection; snighdayaa = and tenderness; tayaa = by her.
"That king performing auspicious acts gave me into the care of the chief Queen. She nourished me fondly and with maternal affection."
पति सम्योग सुलभम् वयो दृष्ट्वा तु मे पिता |
चिन्ताम् अभ्यगमद् दीनो वित्त नाशाद् इव अधनः || २-११८-३४
34. dR^iSTvaa = seeing; rayaH = my age; pati samyoga sulabham = to be such when union with a husabnd can be easily had; me pitaa = my father; abhyagamat = fell a prey; chintaam = to anxiety; adhanaH iva = like an indegent man; diinaH = miserable; vittanaashaat = from the loss of all his possessions.
"Seeing my age to be such, when union with a husband can be easily had, my father fell a prey to anxiety like an indigent man, feeling miserable by the loss of all his possessions."
सदृशाच् च अपकृष्टाच् च लोके कन्या पिता जनात् |
प्रधर्षणाम् अवाप्नोति शक्रेण अपि समो भुवि || २-११८-३५
35. kanyaapita samo.api = even though the father of an unmarried girl be like; shakreNa = Indra himself; bhuvi = on earth; avaapnoti = gets; pradharSaNaam = ill-treatment; loke = in the world; janaat = from the suitor's men; sadR^ishaashcha = ( no matter whether) they are equal; apakR^iSTaashcha = or inferior to him.
"Eventhough the father of an unmarried girl be like Indra himself on earth, suffers indignity in the world from the suitor's men, no matter whether they are equal or inferior to him."
ताम् धर्षणाम् अदूरस्थाम् संदृश्य आत्मनि पार्थिवः |
चिन्न्ता अर्णव गतः पारम् न आससाद अप्लवो यथ || २-११८-३६
36. dR^iSTvaa = perceiving; taam dharSaNaam = that ill-treatment; aduurasthaam = to be not far-off; aatmani = for him; paarthivaH = the king Janaka; chintaarNava gataH = was plunged into an ocean of anxiety; naasasaada = and did not reach; paaram = its end; aplavoyathaa = any more than a man without a bark (would reach the end of a sea)
"Perceiving that ill-treatment threatening him at no distant date, the king Janaka was plunged into an ocean of anxiety and did not reach its end any more than a man without a bark would reach the end of a sea."
अयोनिजाम् हि माम् ज्नात्वा न अध्यगग्च्छत् स चिन्तयन् |
सदृशम् च अनुरूपम् च मही पालः पतिम् मम || २-११८-३७
37. jJNaatvaa = knowing; maam = me; ayonijaam = to be the one not emerged from a mother's womb; mahiipaalaH = the king; vichintayan = after a deep reflection; naadhyagachchhat = was unable to find; anuruupam cha = a suitable; sadR^isham = and worthy; patim = husband; mama = for me.
"Knowing me to be the one not emerged from a mother's womb, the king after a deep reflection, was unable to find a suitable and worthy husband for me."
तस्य बुद्धिर् इयम् जाता चिन्तयानस्य सम्ततम् |
स्वयम् वरम् तनूजायाः करिष्यामि इति धीमतः || २-११८-३८
38. tasya = to him; dhiimataH = the wiseman; chintayaamasya = after reflecting (thus); santatam = constantly; jaataa = it has come; iyam buddiH = to his mind; iti = thus; kariSyaami = "I shall arrange; svayamvaram = for a process of self-choosing marriage; tanuujayaaH = for my daughter."
"After reflecting thus deeply, the thought came to him, 'I shall inaugurate a Svayamvara, a process of self-choosing marriage, for my daughter."
महा यज्ने तदा तस्य वरुणेन महात्मना |
दत्तम् धनुर् वरम् प्रीत्या तूणी च अक्षय्य सायकौ || २-११८-३९
39. tadaa = In ancient days; mahaayajJNe = on the occasion of a great sacrifice; mahaatmanaa = by the high-souled; varuNena = Varuna; the rain-god; tasya = to him; dattam = was given; dhanurvaram = an excellent bow; tuuNiicha = with two quivers; akSaya saayakau = that should never lack arrows; priityaa = with affection.
"In ancient days, Janaka received with affection from Varuna the rain-god, an excellent bow with two quivers that should never lack arrows."
असंचाल्यम् मनुष्यैः च यत्नेन अपि च गौरवात् |
तन् न शक्ता नमयितुम् स्वप्नेषु अपि नर अधिपाः || २-११८-४०
40. gauravaat = because of heavy weight; tat = that bow; asamchaalyam = which could not be lifted; manuSyaiH = by men; yatnenaapi = even with effort; naraadhiparaH = and the kings; na shaktaaH = were unable; namayitum = to bend (it); svapneSvapi = even in their dreams.
"That bow was so heavy in weight that no man could lift it up nor any of the kings were bale to bend it even in their dreams."
तद् धनुः प्राप्य मे पित्रा व्याहृतम् सत्य वादिना |
समवाये नर इन्द्राणाम् पूर्वम् आमन्त्र्य पार्थिवान् || २-११८-४१
41. me pitraa = by my father; satyavaadinaa = who speaks truth; aamantrya = having called paarthivaan = the princes; puurvam = first; vyaahR^itam = informed; samavaaye = in their meeting; tat dhanuH = about that bow; praapya = to be lifted.
"My truthful father called all the princes first and informed them in a meeting about the bow to be lifted."
इदम् च धनुर् उद्यम्य सज्यम् यः कुरुते नरः |
तस्य मे दुहिता भार्या भविष्यति न संशयः || २-११८-४२
42. yaH narah = whichever man; udyamya = lifts; idam dhanuH = this bow; kurute sajyamcha = and strings it; tasya = to him; me duhitaa = my daughter; bhaviSyati = will become; bhaaryaa = a consort (to him); na = there is no; samshayaH = doubt.
"Whoever is able to lift up and string this bow, I will bestow my daughter in marriage on him. There is no doubt about it."
तच् च दृष्ट्वा धनुः श्रेष्ठम् गौरवाद् गिरि सम्निभम् |
अभिवाद्य नृपा जग्मुर् अशक्ताः तस्य तोलने || २-११८-४३
43. dR^iSTvaa = seeing; tat dhanuH shreSTham- that excellent bow; girisannibham = resembling a mountain; gauravaato = from the point of view of its heavy weight; asaktaaH = and bieng unable; tolane = to life; tasya = it; nR^ipaaH = the princes; abhivaadhya = offered salutation to it; jagmuH = and went away.
"Seeing that excellent bow, resembling a mountain in weight, and being unable to lift it up, the princes offered salutation to it and went away."
सुदीर्घस्य तु कालस्य राघवो अयम् महा द्युतिः |
विश्वामित्रेण सहितो यज्नम् द्रष्टुम् समागतः || २-११८-४४
लक्ष्मणेन सह भ्रात्रा रामः सत्य पराक्रमः |
44. sudiirghasya kaalasya = after a very long time; ayam raamaH = this Rama; raaghavaH = born in Raghu dynasty; mahaa dyutiH = with a great splendour; satya paraakramaH = possessing a true valour; lakSmaNena saha = along with Lakshmana; bhraatraa = his brother; vishvaamitreNa sahitaH = together with Visvamitra the sage; samaagataH- came; draSTum = to behold; yajNam = a sacrifice.
"After a very long time, this Rama born in Raghu dynasty with a great splendour possessing a true valour, along with his brother Lakshmana together with a sage Visvamitra, came to witness a sacrifice."
विश्वामित्रः तु धर्म आत्मा मम पित्रा सुपूजितः || २-११८-४५
प्रोवाच पितरम् तत्र राघवो राम लक्ष्मणौ |
45. dharmaatmaa = the pious souled; vishvaamitrastu = Visvamitra; supuujitaH = having been worshipped well; mama pitraa = by my father;bhraatarau = about the two brothers; raama lakSmaNau = Rama and Lakshmana; tatra = there.
"The pious-souled Visvamitra, having been received well by my father said to my father, (as follows):
सुतौ दशरथस्य इमौ धनुर् दर्शन कान्क्षिणौ || २-११८-४६
धनुर्दर्शय रामाय राजपुत्राय दैविकम् |
46. imau = these two boys; sutau = the sons; dasharathasya = of Dasaratha; dhanurdarshana kaaN^kSiNau = wish to see that bow; darshaya = show; dhanuH = the bow; daivikam = coming from gods; raamaaya = to Rama; raajaputraaya = the prince.
"These two boys, the sons of Dasaratha wish to see that bow. Show that bow, coming from gods, to Rama the prince."
इत्य् उक्तः तेन विप्रेण तद् धनुः समुपानयत् || २-११८-४७
निमेष अन्तर मात्रेण तद् आनम्य स वीर्यवान् |
ज्याम् समारोप्य झटिति पूरयाम् आस वीर्यवान् || २-११८-४८
47; 48. iti = thus; uktaH = spoken; tena viprena = by that Brahmana; tatodhanuH upaanayat = (Janaka) caused that bow to be brought there; mahaabalaH = the mighty; viiryavaan = and the valiant Rama; aanamya = bent; tat = that bow; nimeSaantara meatreNa = merely within an instant; jhaTiti = and soon; samaaropya = stringed the bow; jyaam = with the bows-cord; puurayaamaasa = ad drew the bow to the full.
"Hearing the words of Vivamitra, Janaka caused the bow to be brought there. The mighty and the valiant Rama bent that bow merely within an instant and immediately stringed the bow with the bow-cord and drew the bow to the full."
तेन पूरयता वेगान् मध्ये भग्नम् द्विधा धनुः |
तस्य शब्दो अभवद् भीमः पतितस्य अशनेर् इव || २-११८-४९
49. tena = by that Rama; puurayataa = who was drawing the bow to the full; dhanuH = the bow; bhagnam = was broken; dvidhaaH = into two; madhye = in the middle vegaat = due to that jerk; tasya = its; bhiimaH = terrific; shabdaH = sound; abhavat = was; patitasya ashaneriva = like that of a falling thunder-bolt.
"While Rama was drawing the bow to the full, the bow was broken into two in the middle due to the resultant jerk. The terrific sound then created was like that of a falling thunderbolt."
ततो अहम् तत्र रामाय पित्रा सत्य अभिसंधिना |
उद्यता दातुम् उद्यम्य जल भाजनम् उत्तमम् || २-११८-५०
50. tataH = then; tatra = and there; pitraa = by my father; satyaabhisandhinaa = who was true to his promise; nishchitaa = it was decided; daatum = to give; aham = me; raamaaya = to Rama; udyamya = offering him; jalabhaajanam = of jar of pure water.
"Then and there, my father true to his promise decided to bestow me on Rama, offering him a jar of pure water."
दीयमानाम् न तु तदा प्रतिजग्राह राघवः |
अविज्नाय पितुः चन्दम् अयोध्या अधिपतेः प्रभोः || २-११८-५१
51. tadaa = then; raaghavaH = Rama; na tu pratijagraaha = did not consent to accept; diiyamaanaam = me who was being offered to him; avijJNaaya = withut knowing; chhandam = the opinion; pituH = of his father; prabhoH = the Lord; ayodhyaadhipateH = and the king of Ayodhya.
"But Rama did not consent to accept my hand till the will of his father, the Lord and the king of Ayodhya had been made known to him."
ततः श्वशुरम् आमन्त्र्य वृद्धम् दशरथम् नृपम् |
मम पित्रा अहम् दत्ता रामाय विदित आत्मने || २-११८-५२
52. tataH = thereupon; mama pitraa = by my father; shvashuram = my father -in-law; vR^iddham = and the aged; dasharatham nR^ipam = king Dasaratha; aamantrya = was invited; aham = I; dattaa = was given; raamaaya = to Rama; viditaatmane = the knower of the self.
Thereupon, my father-in-law and the aged Dasaratha was invited to Mithila by my father and with his approval, I was bestowed on Rama, the knower of the self."
मम चैव अनुजा साध्वी ऊर्मिला प्रिय दर्शना |
भार्य अर्थे लक्ष्मणस्य अपि दत्ता पित्रा मम स्वयम् || २-११८-५३
53. dattaa = was given; mama pitraa = by my father; svayam = personally; mama = my; anujaa = younger sister; uurmilaa = Urmila; saadhvii = the virtuous lady; priyadarshanaa = of lovely looks; bhaaryaarthe = as a consort; lakSmaNasyaapi = to Lakshmana.
"My younger sister Urmila, the virtuous lady of lovely looks was given as a consort to Lakshmana by my father himself."
एवम् दत्ता अस्मि रामाय तदा तस्मिन् स्वयम् वरे |
अनुरक्ता च धर्मेण पतिम् वीर्यवताम् वरम् || २-११८-५४
54. tadaa = then; asmi = I was; dattaa = given; evam = thus; raamaaya = to Rama; tasmin svayamvare = in that; svayamvara; a process of self-choosing marriage; asmi = I became; anuraktaa = devoted; dhameNa = by my good works; patim = to my husband; param = who is excellent; viiryavataam = among men of strength.
"I was given thus to Rama in that Svayamvara, a process of self-choosing marriage. I became devoted, by my good works, to my husband who is excellent among men of strength."
- - -
इत्यार्षे श्रीमद्रामायणे आदिकाव्ये अयोध्याकाण्डे अष्टादशोत्तरशततमः सर्गः
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© November 2005, K. M. K. Murthy
Global View of
further information concerning
Fastest FTPS anywhere, Go FTP FREE Software