Bharata enters Ayodhya city, which appears to him gloomy and asks his charioteer why the city is looking luster-less. Thus speaking in many ways, Bharata enters his father's house which exhibits a vacant look and feels distressed.
स्निग्ध गम्भीर घोषेण स्यन्दनेन उपयान् प्रभुः |
अयोध्याम् भरतः क्षिप्रम् प्रविवेश महा यशाः || २-११४-१
1. bharataH = Bharata; mahaayashaaH = the highly illustrious; prabhuH = Lord; upayaan = riding; syndanena = on a chariot; snigdhagambhiiraghoSeNa = producing a gentle and deep sound; pravivesha = entered; kSipram = soon; ayodhyaam = the city of Ayodhya.
The highly illustrious Lord, Bharata riding on a chariot emanating a gentle and deep sound entered soon the city of Ayodhya.
बिडाल उलूक चरिताम् आलीन नर वारणाम् |
तिमिर अभ्याहताम् कालीम् अप्रकाशाम् निशाम् इव || २-११४-२
2. biDaa loluuka charitaam = (He entered the city) frequented by cats and owls; aaliina nara vaaraNaam = abiding with crouched men and elephants; nishaamiva = looking like a night; timiraabhyaahataam = enveloped by gloom; aprakaashaam = indistinctness; kaLiim = and darkness.
He entered the city, frequented by cats and owls, abiding with crouched men and elephants and looking like a night enveloped by gloom, indistinctness and darkness.
राहु शत्रोः प्रियाम् पत्नीम् श्रिया प्रज्वलित प्रभाम् |
ग्रहेण अभ्युत्थितेन एकाम् रोहिणीम् इव पीडिताम् || २-११४-३
3. rohiNiimiva = like the planet Rohini; ekaam = the lonely one; priyaam = the beloved; patniim = consort; raahushatroH = of the moon-god (treated as the enemy by the demon Rahu); piiDitaam = tormented; grahena = by the planet Rahu*; abhyutthitena = in the ascendant; prajvalita prabhaam = though invested with an exceedingly bright splendour; shriyaa = by virtue of her glory.
Ayodhya looked like the planet Rohini, the beloved consort of the moon-god (treated as the enemy by the demon Rahu), tormented by planet Rahu* in the ascendant though ordinarily invested with an exceedingly bright splendour by virtue of her glory.
*The demon presiding over a planet of the same name figuring in Indian astronomy and identified by modern astronoy with the shadow of the earth cast on the orb of the moon during what is known as a lunar eclipse.
अल्प उष्ण क्षुब्ध सलिलाम् घर्म उत्तप्त विहम्गमाम् |
लीन मीन झष ग्राहाम् कृशाम् गिरि नदीम् इव || २-११४-४
4. girinadiimiva = (Ayodhya further looked); kR^ishaam = emaciated; like a mountain stream; alopoSNa kSubdha salilaam = whose scanty waters had become hot and agitated; gharmoptapta vihangamaam = birds living in which were scorched by the sun; liina miinajhaSagraahaam = and whose fish; small and big and alligators had perished.
Ayodhya further looked emaciated like a mountain stream, whose scanty waters had become hot and agitated, birds living in which were scorched by the sun, and whose fish, small and big and alligators had perished.
विधूमाम् इव हेम आभाम् अध्वर अग्नि समुत्थिताम् |
हविर् अभ्युक्षिताम् पश्चात् शिखाम् विप्रलयम् गताम् || २-११४-५
5. (Ayodhya looked); shikhaamiva = like a flame; adhvaraagne = of sacrificial fire; (which when) havirbhyukSitaam = oblation is poured into it; samutthitaam = rises; hemabhaam = like a golden cone; vidhuumam = without smoke; pashchaat = and thereafter; gataam = sinks into vipralayam = extinction (ash).
Ayodhya looked like a flame of sacrificial fire which when oblation is poured into it, rises like a golden cone without smoke and thereafter sinks into extinction (ash).
विध्वस्त कवचाम् रुग्ण गज वाजि रथ ध्वजाम् |
हत प्रवीराम् आपन्नाम् चमूम् इव महा आहवे || २-११४-६
6. (Ayodhya looked terrific); aapannaam chamuumiva = like an afflicted army; vidhvasta kavachaam = shattered of its armour; mahaahave = in a great battle; ragNa gaja vaaji rathadhvajaam = whose ensigns borne on horses; elephants; chariots had been torn; hata praviinaam = its heroic warriors slain.
Ayodhya looked like an afflicted army, shattered of its armour in a major conflict, whose ensigns borne on horses, elephants and chariots had been torn, and its heroic warriors slain.
सफेनाम् सस्वनाम् भूत्वा सागरस्य समुत्थिताम् |
प्रशान्त मारुत उद्धूताम् जल ऊर्मिम् इव निह्स्वनाम् || २-११४-७
7. (Ayodhya appeared); jalormimiva = like the waves of the sea; samutthitaam = though tossed very high; sa phanaam = with foam; sasvanaam = and a roar; bhuutvaa = is rendered; missvanaam = noiseless; prashaanta maarutoddhuutaam = being shaken up by a silent wind.
Ayodhya appeared like the waves of the sea though tosses very high with foam and a roar, is rendered noiseless, being shaken up by a silent wind.
त्यक्ताम् यज्न आयुधैः सर्वैर् अभिरूपैः च याजकैः |
सुत्या काले विनिर्वृत्ते वेदिम् गत रवाम् इव || २-११४-८
8. (Ayodhya appeared); vedimiiva = like a sacred altar; suttyaakaale = which; when the period of offering oblations into the sacred ifre; vinivR^ite = has completely expired; tyaktaam = has been cleared; sarvaiH = of all; yajJNaayndhaiH = sacrificial implements; gataravaam = and deserted of recitations; abhiruupaiH = by the learned; yaajakaiH = priests.
Ayodhya appeared like a sacred altar, which, when the period of offering oblations into fire has completely expired, has been cleared of all sacrificial implements and deserted of recitations by the learned priests.
गोष्ठ मध्ये स्थिताम् आर्ताम् अचरन्तीम् नवम् तृणम् |
गो वृषेण परित्यक्ताम् गवाम् पत्नीम् इव उत्सुकाम् || २-११४-९
9. (Ayodhya appeared) utsuka patniimiva = like restless kine; parityaktaam = deprived of; govR^iSeNa = the bull; acharantiim = who cease to graze; navam tR^iNam = in the new pasture; sthitaam- and stand; goSTamadhye = in the cow-pen; aartaam = dispirited.
Ayodhya appeared like restless kine, deprived of the bull, who cease to graze in new pastures and stand in the cow-pen, dispirited.
प्रभा करालैः सुस्निग्धैः प्रज्वलद्भिर् इव उत्तमैः |
वियुक्ताम् मणिभिर् जात्यैर् नवाम् मुक्ता आवलीम् इव || २-११४-१०
10. (Ayodhya appeared); navaam muktavaliimiva = like a new pearl-necklace; viyuktaam = bereft of; maNibhiH = gems; prabhaakaraadyaiH = rubies and the like; susnigdhaiH = well- polished; prajvaldbhiriva = dazzling; uttamaiH = excellent ; jaatyaiH = and of genuine quality.
Ayodhya was resembling a new pearl-necklace, bereft of well- polished dazzling and excellent gems, rubies and the like, of genuine quality.
सहसा चलिताम् स्थानान् महीम् पुण्य क्षयाद् गताम् |
सम्हृत द्युति विस्ताराम् ताराम् इव दिवः च्युताम् || २-११४-११
11. (Ayodhya appeared); taaraamiva = like a meteor; chalitaam = which moved; sthaanaat = from its position; puNyakSayaat = due to exhaustion of virtue; samvR^ita dyuti vistaaraam = with reduced dissemination of light; sahasaa = quickly; chyutaam = dropped; divaH = from the sky; gataam = and fallen to; mahiim = earth.
Ayodhya appeared like a meteor, which moved from its position with its virtue exhausted, soon dropped from the sky and fallen to earth, deprived of its splendour.
पुष्प नद्धाम् वसन्त अन्ते मत्त भ्रमर शालिनीम् |
द्रुत दाव अग्नि विप्लुष्टाम् क्लान्ताम् वन लताम् इव || २-११४-१२
12. (Ayodhya appeared); vanalataamiva = like a flowering creeper; puSpa naddhaam = laden with blossom; vasantaante = in the spring-tide; matt bhramara naaditaam = reverberant with intoxicated bees; drutadaavaagni vipluSTaam = that is suddenly consumed by a forest fire; klaantaam = and withering.
Ayodhya appeared like a flowering creeper laden with blossom in the spring-tide, frequented by a swarm of intoxicated bees, that is suddenly consumed by a forest fire and withering.
सम्मूढ निगमाम् सर्वाम् सम्क्षिप्त विपण आपणाम् |
प्रग्च्छन्न शशि नक्षत्राम् द्याम् इव अम्बु धरैर् वृताम् || २-११४-१३
13. (Ayodhya resembled); dyaamiva = like a firmament; vR^itaam = covered; ambudharaiH = with clouds; prachchhanna shashi nakSatraam = with the moon and the stars obscured; sammuuDharigamaam = with its senseless traffic; stabdhaam = paralyzed; samkSipta vipaNaa paNaam = the fairs and markets closed.
With its senseless traffic paralyzed and with its fairs and markets closed, Ayodhya resembled like a firmament, covered with clouds, with the moon and stars obscured.
क्षीण पान उत्तमैर् भिन्नैः शरावैर् अभिसम्वृताम् |
हत शौण्डाम् इव आकाशे पान भूमिम् असंस्कृताम् || २-११४-१४
14. (Ayodhya appeared splendour less); paana bhuumim iva = like a tavern; aakaashe = in an open space; hatashauN^Daam = with its vendor of spirituous liquors killed; kSiiNa paanottamaiH = the excellent wine expended; sharaavaiH = the drinking pots and glasses; bhagraiH = broken; abhisamvR^itaam = laid aside; dhvastaam = and scattered in disorder; asamskR^itaam = and uncleaned.
Ayodhya appeared splendourless, like a deserted and uncleaned tavern, with its vendor of spirituous liquors killed, the excellent wine expended, its drinking pots and glasses broken and the pieces stewn in disorder.
वृक्ण भूमि तलाम् निम्नाम् वृक्ण पात्रैः समावृताम् |
उपयुक्त उदकाम् भग्नाम् प्रपाम् निपतिताम् इव || २-११४-१५
15. (Ayodhya resembled); prapaamiva = like a cistern supplying water; vR^ikNa bhuumi talaam = its platform rivers; upayuktodakaam = its water spent; vR^ikNa paatraiH = its jars and earthen vessels broken; samaavR^itaam = and perished; mimnaam = collapsed; bhagnaam = shattered; nipatitaam = and fell down.
Ayodhya resembled a cistern erected for storage and distribution of water, but now broken and collapsed with its platform riven and sunk, and covered with broken jars and earthen vessels, its water having been used up.
विपुलाम् वितताम् चैव युक्त पाशाम् तरस्विनाम् |
भूमौ बाणैर् विनिष्कृत्ताम् पतिताम् ज्याम् इव आयुधात् || २-११४-१६
16. (Ayodhya resembled); jyaamvia = a bow-string; vipulaam = which was large; vitataam = and bent; yukta paashaam = with suitable noose at both ends; viniSkR^ittaam = severed; aayudhaat = from the bow; baaNaiH = by the arrows; tarasvinaam = of heroes; patitaam = and fallen; bhuumam = to the ground.
Ayodhya resembled a bow-string, which was large and bent, with suitable noose at both ends, but severed from the bow by the arrows of heroes and fallen to the ground.
सहसा युद्ध शौण्डेन हय आरोहेण वाहिताम् |
निहताम् प्रतिसैन्येन वडवामिव पातिताम् || २-११४-१७
17. (Ayodhya appeared); vaDavaamiva = like a mare = suddenly; hayaaroheNa = by a horse-man; yuddha shauNDena = skilled in war-fare; paatitaam = and fallen down; nihataam = when killed; pratisainyena = by the opposite army.
Ayodhya appeared like a mare, urged on suddenly by a horse-man, skilled in war-fare and fallen down when killed by the opposite army.
भरतस्तु रथस्थः सन् श्रीमान् दशरथात्मजः |
वाहयन्तं रथश्रेष्ठं सारथिम् वाक्यमब्रवीत् || २-११४-१८
18. rathasthassan = sitting in the chariot; shriimaan = the glorious; bharatastu = Bharata; dasharathaatmajaH = the vaakyam = the following words; saarathiim = to the charioteer; vaahayantam = who was riding; ratha shreSTham = the excellent chariot.
Sitting in the chariot, the glorious Bharata, the son of Dasaratha, spoke the following words to the charioteer who was riding his excellent chariot:
किम् नु खल्वद्य गम्बीरो मूर्चितो न निशम्यते |
यथापुरमयोध्यायाम् गीतवादित्रनिस्वनः || २-११४-१९
19. kim nu khalu = how is it; gambhiiraH = that the deep; muurchhitaH = and intensified; giitavaaditranisvanaH = sound of vocal and instrumental music; na nishamyate = is not heard; yathaa puraa = as before; ayodhyaam = in Ayodhya; adya = today?
"How is it that the deep and intensified sound of vocal and instrumental music is not heard as before in Ayodhya today?"
वारुणीमदगन्धश्च माल्यगन्धश्च मूर्चितः |
धूपितागरुगन्धश्च न प्रवाति समन्ततः || २-११४-२०
20. vaaruNii madagandhashcha = the intoxicating odour of spirituous liquor; maalya gandhashcha = or the fragrance of floral garlands; dhuupitaa garu gandhashcha = or the aroma of aloe-wood fumes; muurchitaH = which used to be spread; samantataH = on all sides; na pravaati = are not being wafted.
"The intoxicating odour of spirituous liquor or the fragrance of floral garlands or the aroma of sandal and aloe-wood fumes, which used to be spread once on all sides, are not being wafted."
यानप्र वरघोषश्च स्निग्धश्च हयनिस्वनः |
प्रमत्तगजनादश्च महांश्च रथनिस्वनः || २-११४-२१
नेदानीम् श्रूयते पुर्यामस्याम् रामे विवासिते || २-११४-२२
21; 22. vivaasite = Due to exile; raame = of Rama; yaana pravara ghoSashcha = the sound of the excellent carriages; snigdhaH = the charming; hayanishvanashcha = sound of the horses; pramatta gajanaadashcha = the sound of the intoxicating elephants; mahaan ratha nisranaH cha = and the clattering of the great chariots; na shruuyate = are not heard; asyaam puraam = in this city; idaaniim = now.
"O, Sumantra! I do not hear, as before, the sound of the horses, the sound of the intoxicating elephants and the clattering of the great chariots in this city now."
चन्दनागारुगन्धांश्च महार्हश्च नवस्रजः || २-११४-२३
गते हि रामे तरुणाः संतप्ता नोपभुञ्जते |
23. raame = Rama; gate = having left Ayodhya; taruNaaH = the youth; samtaptaaH = in distress; nopabhujJNate = are not making use of; chandanaagarugandhaamshcha = the perfumes of sandal-wood and aloe-wood; mahaarhaaH = and the excellent; navasrajashcha = fresh floral garlands.
"Rama, having left Ayodhya, the distressful youth are not making use of the perfumes like sandal-wood, aloe wood as also the most admirable and fresh floral garlands."
बहिर्यात्रां न गच्छन्ति चित्रमाअल्यधरा नराः || २-११४-२४
नोत्सवाः सम्प्रवर्तन्ते रामशोकार्दिते पुरे |
24. pure = in the city; raamashokaardite = afflicted by the grief of Rama's desertion; naraaH = people; na gachchhanti = are not going; bahiH = out; yaatraam = for pleasure-trips; chitramaalyadharaaH = wearing colourful garlands; na = nor; utsavaaH = festivals sampravartante = are observed.
"In the city afflicted by Rama's desertion, people are not going out for pleasure-trips, wearing colourful garlands nor festivals are observed by them."
सह नूनम् मम भ्रात्रा पुरस्यास्य द्युतिर्गता || २-११४-२५
न हि राजत्ययोध्येयं सासारेवार्जुनी क्षपा |
25. dyutiH = the luster; asya purasya = of this city; gata = has departed; mama bhraatraa saha = along with my brother; nuunam = it is a certain; iyam = this; ayodhyaa = Ayodhya; na raajati hi = is not shining indeed; saasaaraa kSapaa iva = like a rainy night; arjunii = at the time of the waning moon.
"The lustre of Ayodhya has departed along with my brother. It is certain. This Ayodhya is not shining indeed, like a rainy night at the time of the waning moon."
कदा नु खलु मे भ्राता महोत्सव इवागतः || २-११४-२६
जनयिष्यत्ययोध्यायां हर्षम् ग्रीष्म इवाम्बुदः |
26. kadaa = when; me bhraataa = will my brother; aagataH = return; mahotsava iva = like a carnival; janayiSayi nu khalu = diffusing; harSam = joy; ayodhyaam = in Ayodhya; griiSme aambudaH iva = as do the autumnal rains?
"When will my brother return, like a carnival, diffusing joy in Ayodhya, as do the autumnal rains?"
तरुणैः चारु वेषैः च नरैर् उन्नत गामिभिः |
सम्पतद्भिर् अयोध्यायाम् न विभान्ति महा पथाः || २-११४-२७
27. mahaapathaaH = the high ways; ayodhyaam = in Ayodhya; naabhibhaanti = are not glittering; taruNaiH = with youthful; naraiH = people; chaaru veSaiH = richly attired; unnatagaamibhiH = bearing themselves bravely; sampatadbhiH = and roaming about in groups.
"The highways in Ayodhya are not glittering with youthful people, richly attired, bearing themselves bravely and roaming about in groups."
एवम् बहु विधम् जल्पन् विवेश वसतिम् पितुः |
तेन हीनाम् नर इन्द्रेण सिम्ह हीनाम् गुहाम् इव || २-११४-२८
28. evam = thus; jalpan = speaking; bahuvidham = in many ways; (Bharata); vivesha = entered; pituH = his father's; vasatim = house; hiinaam = bereft of; tena = that; narendreNa = king; guhaamiva = and which resembled a cave; simhahiinaam = bereft of a lion.
Thus speaking in many ways, Bharata entered his father's house, bereft of that emperor and which resembled a cave bereft of a lion.
तदा तदन्तःपुरमुज्घितप्रभम् |
सुरैरिवोत्सृष्टमभास्करम् दिनम् |
निरीक्ष्य सर्वम् तु विविक्तमात्मवान् |
मुमोच बाष्पं भरतः सुदुःखितः || २-११४-२९
29. bharataH = Bharata; aatmavaan = a composed man; tadaa = then; mumocha = shed; baaSpam = tears; niriikSya = by seeing; tat sarvam antaHpuram = that entire gynaecium; divamivva = looking like a day; abhaaskaram = without the sun; ujjhitaprabham = with relinquished radiance; viviktam = and empty.
Bharata, though a composed man himself, shed tears by seeing that entire empty gynaecium, looking like a day without the sun with its relinquished radiance.
- - -
इत्यार्षे श्रीमाद्रामायणे आदिकाव्ये अयोध्याकाण्डे चतुर्दशोत्तरशततमः सर्गः
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© September 2005, K. M. K. Murthy