Vasishta gives details of the creation of the world to Sri Rama. He says that Brahma, in the form of a boar caused the earth to rise from water and from Brahma is created the entire world. He recites the Genealogy of Rama's line. He informs that Aja and Suvrata were the two sons of Nabhaga and it was Aja who begot the virtuous King Dasaratha; Rama's father. Vasishta also informs Rama that i the whole of Ikshvaku race, only the eldest son becomes the king. He requests Sri Rama not to violate this tradition and take over the reins of Ayodhya.
क्रुद्धम् आज्ञाय राम तु वसिष्ठः प्रत्युवाच ह।
जाबालिः अपि जानीते लोकस्य अस्य गत आगतिम्॥ २-११०-१
1. aajJNaaya = recognising; raamam = Rama's; kruddham = anger; vasiSThaH = Vasishta; pratyuvaacha ha = spoke as follows: jabaalirapi = even Jabali; jaaniite = is aware; gataagatam = of the going and coming; asya lokasya = of this world.
Recognising that Rama has become angry, Vashishta spoke as follows: "Even Jabali is aware of the going and coming of this world."
निवर्तयितु कामः तु त्वाम् एतद् वाक्यम् अब्रवीत् |
इमाम् लोक समुत्पत्तिम् लोक नाथ निबोध मे || २-११०-२
2. uktavaan = (He) spoke; etat = these; vaakyam = words; tvaam nivartayitu kaamastu = on account of his desire that you should return; lokanaatha = O; Lord of the poeple! nibodha = learn; me = from me; lokasamutpattim = of the creation of the world!.
"He apoke in this manner, on account of his desire that you should return. O, Lord of the poeple! Learn from me of the creation of the world!"
सर्वम् सलिलम् एव आसीत् पृथिवी यत्र निर्मिता |
ततः समभवद् ब्रह्मा स्वयम्भूर् दैवतैः सह || २-११०-३
3. sarvam = all; aasiit = was; salilam eva = water only (in the beginning); yatra = from which element; pR^ittivii = the earth; nirmitaa = was formed; tataH = and after that; svayambhuuH = the self-existent; brahmaa = Brahma; daivataiH saha = with all the gods; sambhavat = came into existence.
"All was water only in the beginning" from which element the earth was formed. After that, the self-existent Brahma with all the gods came into existence."
स वराहः ततो भूत्वा प्रोज्जहार वसुंधराम् |
असृजच् च जगत् सर्वम् सह पुत्रैः कृत आत्मभिः || २-११०-४
4. tataH = thereafter; saH = that Brahma; bhuutvaa = assuming; varaahaH = the form of a boar; projjahaara vasundharaam = caused the earth to rise (from water); putraiH saha = and with his sons; kR^itaatmabhiH = of pure soul; aasR^ijachcha = created; sarvam = the entire; jagat = world.
"Thereafter, that Brahma, assuming the form of boar, caused the earth to rise from water and with his sons of pure soul, created the entire world."
आकाश प्रभवो ब्रह्मा शाश्वतो नित्य अव्ययः |
तस्मान् मरीचिः सम्जज्ने मरीचेः कश्यपः सुतः || २-११०-५
5. shaashvataH = the eternal; ityaH = changeless; avyayaH = and imperishable; brahmaa = Brahma; aakaasha prabhavaH = was begotten from ether; tasmaat = and from him; mariichiH = Marichi; samjajNe = was born; kashyapaH = Kashyapa; maricheH = was Marichi's; sutaH = son.
"The eternal, changeless and imperishable Brahma was begotten from ether and from his was born Marichi. Marichi's son was kashyapa."
विवस्वान् कश्यपाज् जज्ने मनुर् वैवस्तवः स्मृतः |
स तु प्रजापतिः पूर्वम् इक्ष्वाकुः तु मनोः सुतः || २-११०-६
6. kashyapaat = from Kashyapa; vivasvaan = Vivasvan; jajJNe = was born; manuH = Manu; vaivasvataH sutaH = was the son of Vivasvan; satu = Manu for his part; puurvam = formerly; prajaapatiH = was the lord of creation; ikSvaakuH = Ikshvaku; manoH = was Manu's sutaH = son.
"From Kashyapa, Vivasvan(sun-god) was born. manu was the son of Vivasvan. Manu for his part, was formerly the lord of creation. Ikshvaku was Manu' s son."
यस्य इयम् प्रथमम् दत्ता समृद्धा मनुना मही |
तम् इक्ष्वाकुम् अयोध्यायाम् राजानम् विद्धि पूर्वकम् || २-११०-७
7. yasya = to whom; samR^iddhaa = the fertile; mahii = earth; prathamam = initially; dattaa = was given; manunaa = by Manu; viddhi = know; tam ikSvaakum = the Iksvaku; puurvakam = as the first; raajaanam = king; ayodhyaayaam = of Ayodhya.
"The entire fertile earth was given by Manu to Ikshvaku and know that Ikshvaku was thus the first king of Ayodhya!"
इक्ष्वाकोः तु सुतः श्रीमान् कुक्षिर् एव इति विश्रुतः |
कुक्षेर् अथ आत्मजो वीरो विकुक्षिर् उदपद्यत || २-११०-८
8. ikSvaakoH = Ikshvaku's; sutaH = son; vishrutaH = was known as; shriimaan = the illustrious; kukSireveti = Kukshi; atha = thereafter; kukSeH = kukshi's; aatmajaH = son; viiraH = was the valiant; vikukSiH = Vikukshi; udapadyata = born.
"Ikshvaku's son was known as Kukshi, the illustrious king. Then, Kukshi's son was the valiant Vikukshi."
विकुक्षेः तु महा तेजा बाणः पुत्रः प्रतापवान् |
बाणस्य तु महा बाहुर् अनरण्यो महा यशाः || २-११०-९
9. vikukSeH = to Vikukshi (was born); baaNaH = Bana; mahaatejaaH = the most splendid; prataapavaan = and powerful; putraH = son; baaNasya = to Bana; (was born); anaraNyaH = Anaranya; mahaabaahuH = the mighty armed; mayaayashaaH = and the most illustrious one.
"To Vikukshi was born the most splendid and powerful son, Bana. To Bana was born Anaranya the mighty armed and the most illustrious son."
नाना वृष्टिर् बभूव अस्मिन् न दुर्भिक्षम् सताम् वरे |
अनरण्ये महा राजे तस्करो वा अपि कश्चन || २-११०-१०
10. asmin anaraNye = (While) this Anaranya = vare = the excellent; sataam = among beings; mahaaraaje = was the emperor; na babhuuva = there was no; anavR^iSThiH = dearth of rain; na = nor; durbhikSam = drought; na kashchana = no one; takraH = was a thief.
"While this King Anaranya, the most excellent among beings was reigning, there was neither dearth of rain nor a drought. No one was a thief."
अनरण्यान् महा बाहुः पृथू राजा बभूव ह |
तस्मात् पृथोर् महा राजः त्रिशन्कुर् उदपद्यत || २-११०-११
स सत्य वचनाद् वीरः सशरीरो दिवम् गतः |
11. anaraNyaat = from Anaranya; babhuuvaha = was born; mahaabahuH = the mighty armed; raajaa = king; pR^ithuH = Prithu; tasmaat pR^ithoH = from that Prithu; udapadyata = was born; mahaaraajaH = the Emperor; trishaNkuH = Trishanku; saH viiraH = that valiant man; gataH = ascended to; divam = heaven; sa shariiraH = along with his mortal body; satya vachanaat = for his true eloquence.
"From Anaranya was born the mighty armed king Prithu. From Prithu was born the Emperor Trishanku. That valiant man ascneded to heaven along with his mortal body, because of his true eloquence."
त्रिशन्कोर् अभवत् सूनुर् धुन्धुमारो महा यशाः || २-११०-१२
धुन्धुमारान् महा तेजा युवन अश्वो व्यजायत |
12. trishaN^koH = to Trishanku; abhavat = was born; suumuH = a son; mahaayashaaH = the highly illustrious; dundhumaaraH = Dundhumara; dundhumaarut = from Dundhumara; vyajaayata = was born; mahaatejaaH = the hero; yuvanaashvaH = Yuvanasva.
"To Trishanku was born a son, the highly illustrious Dundhumara. From Dundhumara was born the hero, Yuvanasva."
युवन अश्व सुतः श्रीमान् मान्धाता समपद्यत || २-११०-१३
मान्धातुः तु महा तेजाः सुसंधिर् उदपद्यत |
सुसंधेर् अपि पुत्रौ द्वौ ध्रुव संधिः प्रसेनजित् || २-११०-१४
यशस्वी ध्रुव संधेः तु भरतो रिपु सूदनः |
13; 14. shriimaan = the illustirous; maandhaataa = Mandhata; sampadyata = was born; yuvanaaashva sutaH = as a son to Yuvanasva; mandhaatuH = to Mandhata; udapadyata = was born; mahaatejaaH = the hero; susandhiH = Susandhi; dvau = (therewere) too; putrau = sons; dhruvasandhiH = Dhruvasandhi; prasenajit = and Prasenajit; susandherapi = to Susandhi; dhruvasandheH = from Dhruvasandhi (was born); yashasvii = the illustrious; bharataH = Bharata; ripusuudanaH = the annihilata of enemies.
"The illustrious Mandhata was born as a son to Yuvanasva. To Mandhata was born the hero, Susandhi. There were two sons Dhruvasandhi and prasenajit to Susandhi. From Dhruvasandhi was born the illustrious Bharata, the annihilator of enemies."
भरतात् तु महा बाहोर् असितो नाम जायत || २-११०-१५
यस्य एते प्रतिराजान उदपद्यन्त शत्रवः |
हैहयाः ताल जन्घाः च शूराः च शश बिन्दवः || २-११०-१६
15; 16. mahaabaahoH bharataat = from the mighty armed Bharata; jaayata = was born; asitonaama = a son named Asita; yasya = for whom; haihayaaH = Haihayas; taalaN^ghaashcha = Talajanghas; shuuraaH = and the valiant; shashibindavashcha = shashibindavas; upapadyanta = became; pratiraajaanaH = royal adversaries; shatravoH = and enemies.
"From the mighty armed Bharata was born a son named Asita, for whom his royal adversaries, Haihayas, Talajanghas and the valiant Shashibindavas became the enemies."
तामः तु सर्वान् प्रतिव्यूह्य युद्धे राजा प्रवासितः |
स च शैल वरे रम्ये बभूव अभिरतो मुनिः || २-११०-१७
17. prati vyuuhya = having drawn out his battle-array against; taan sarvaan = all those kings; yuddhe = in a combat; raajaa = the king Asita; pravaasitaH = was driven away; saH = he; babhuuva = became; abhirataH = a devoted; muniH = sage; ramye = on a beautiful; shailavare = and excellent mountain.
"Having drawn out his battle-array against all those kings in a combat, the king Asita was driven away. Asita then became a devoted sage taking asylum in an excellent and charming mountain."
द्वे च अस्य भार्ये गर्भिण्यौ बभूवतुर् इति श्रुतिः |
एका गर्भविनाशाय सपत्न्यै गरळं ददौ || २-११०-१८
18. asya = Asita's; dve bhaarye = two wives; babhuuvatuH = became; garbhiNyau = pregnant; iti = this is; shrutiH = a hear-say; ekaa = one wife; dadau = gave; garalam = poison; sapatnai = to the other co-wife; gabhavinaashaaya = for the destruction of foetus.
"Asita's two wives became pregnant. It is a hearsay that one of his wives gave poison to the other co-wife in order to destroy her foetus."
भार्गवः च्यवनो नाम हिमवन्तम् उपाश्रितः |
तम् ऋषिम् समुपागम्य कालिन्दी तु अभ्यवादयत् || २-११०-१९
स ताम् अभ्यवदद् विप्रो वर ईप्सुम् पुत्र जन्मनि |
19. chayaveno naama = A sage called Chyavana; bhaargavaH = belonging to Bhrign race; upaashritaH = was taking a shelter; himavantam = in a Himalayan mountain; kaalindii = Kalindi; samupaagamya = approached; tam R^iSim = that sage; abhyavaadayat = and offered her salutaion; saH vipraH = that brahmana; abhyavadat = spoke; taam = to her; varepsum = who wanted to get a boon; putrajanmani = for the birth of a son.
"A sage called Chyavana, belonging to Bhrign race was staying in a Himalayan mountain. Kalindi (Asita's wife) approached that sage and offered her salutation. That brahmna spoke the following words to her, who wanted to obtain a boon for the birth of a son."
पुत्रस्ते भविता देवि महात्मा लोकविश्रुतः || २-११०-२०
धार्मिकश्च सुशीलश्च वंशकर्तारिसूदनः |
20. devi = O; Queen!; putraH = A son; mahaatmaa = with a great soul; lokavishrutaH = world-famous; dhaarmikashcha = a rightous man; sushiilashcha = of a good conduct; vamsha kartaa = a perpetuator of the race; arisuudanaH = and an annihilator of enemies; bhavitaa = will be born; te = to you.
"O, Queen! A high-souled son, who will be world-famous, rightous, of a good conduct, a perpetuator of the race and an annihilator of enemies will be born to you."
कृत्वाप्रदक्षिणं हृष्टा मुनिं तमनुमान्य च || २-११०-२१
पद्मपत्रसमानाक्षं पद्मगर्भसमप्रभम् |
ततः सा गृहम् आगम्य देवी पुत्रम् व्यजायत || २-११०-२२
21; 22. saH devii = that Queen Kalindi; hR^iSTaa = delighted as she was; pradakSiNam kR^iSTaa = delighted as she was; pradakSiNam kR^itvaa = circumambulated; tam munim = that sage; anumaanyacha = took permission to leave; tataH = and thereafter; aagamya = on reaching; gR^itam = home; vyajaayat = had delivered; putram- a son; padmapatra samaanaakSam = having eyes resembling lotus-leaves; padmagarbha samaprabham = and having a radiance like that of Brahma the Lord of creation.
"The delighted Queen Kalindi circumambulated that sage, took permission from him to leave and thereafter on reaching home, had delivered a son, having eyes resembling lotus-leaves and having a radiance like that of Brahama the Lord of creation."
सपत्न्या तु गरः तस्यै दत्तो गर्भ जिघांसया |
गरेण सह तेन एव जातः स सगरो अभवत् || २-११०-२३
23. garaH = poison; dattaH = was given; tasyaiH = to her; sapatnyaa = by her co-wife; garbha jighaamsayaa = with an intention to kill her foetus; jaataH = born; tena gareNa sahaiva = with that poison itself; saH = he; abhavat = became; sagaraH = Sagara ( a man with poison).
"Poison was given earlier by her co-wife with an intention to kill her foetus. Born with that poison itself, he became Sagara (a man with poison)."
स राजा सगरो नाम यः समुद्रम् अखानयत् |
इष्ट्वा पर्वणि वेगेन त्रासयन्तम् इमाः प्रजाः || २-११०-२४
24. saH = He; yaH = which; sagaro naama raajaa = king was named as Sagara; iSTvaa = performed sacrifices; parvaNi = on the day of the full moon; akhaanayat = got excavated; samndram = the ocean; traasa yantam = frightening; imaam prajaaH = these people; vegena = by his seed of digging.
"It was king SAgara who excavated the ocen and who, by his sacrifice, on the day of the full moon, by his energy, frightened the people here by the speed of his digging."
असमन्जः तु पुत्रो अभूत् सगरस्य इति नः श्रुतम् |
जीवन्न् एव स पित्रा तु निरस्तः पाप कर्म कृत् || २-११०-२५
25. asamaNJNaH = Asmanja; abhuut = was; sagarasya = Sagara's; putraH = son; shrutam = there was a hearsay; naH = to us; iti = that; saH = Asamanja; paapakarama kR^it = on account of his wicked deeds; nirastah = was banished; pitraa = by his fatehr; jiivanneva = even while living.
"Asamanja was Sagara's son. There was a hearsay that on account of his wicked deeds, Asamanja was banished by his father even during his life time."
अंशुमान् इति पुत्रो अभूद् असमन्जस्य वीर्यवान् |
दिलीपो अंशुमतः पुत्रो दिलीपस्य भगीरथः || २-११०-२६
26. AsamaNJasya = to asamanja; abhuut = was born; viiryavaan = a valiant; putraH = son; amshumaaniti = called Amshuman; diliipaH = dilipa; amshumataH = was Amshuman's; putraH = son; bhagiirathaH = Bhagiratha; diliipasya = was Dilipa's son.
"A valiant son called amshuman was born to Asamanja. Dilipa was Amshuman's son. Bhagiratha was Dilipa's son.
भगीरथात् ककुत्स्थः तु काकुत्स्था येन तु स्मृताः |
ककुत्स्थस्य तु पुत्रो अभूद् रघुर् येन तु राघवः || २-११०-२७
27. bhagiirathaat = of Bhagiratha; kakutthsaH = was born; kaakutthaaH = the Kakutsthas; vishrutaaH = take their name; kakutthsasya cha = to Kakutstha; abhuut = was born; putra = a son; raghuH = called Raghu; yena = from whence (spring); raaghavaaH = Ragahavas.
"Of Bhagiratha was born kakutstha, from whom the Kakutsthas take their name. To Kakutsthas was born a son called Raghu, from whence spring Raghavas."
रघोः तु पुत्रः तेजस्वी प्रवृद्धः पुरुष अदकः |
कल्माष पादः सौदास इत्य् एवम् प्रथितो भुवि || २-११०-२८
28. raghoH = from Raghu (was born); tejasvii = a renowned; putraH = son; pravR^iddhaH = called Pravriddha; prathitaH = known; bhuvi = in the world; ityevam = under the names; puruSaadakaH = Purushadaka; kalmaaSapaadaH = Kalmashapada; sondaasaH = and Soudasa.
"From Raghu was born a renowned son named Pravriddha, known in the world under the names Purushadaka, Kalmashapada and Soudasa."
कल्माष पाद पुत्रो अभूत् शन्खणः तु इति विश्रुतः |
यः तु तद् वीर्यम् आसाद्य सह सेनो व्यनीनशत् || २-११०-२९
29. kalmaSapaada putraH = Kalmashapada's son; abhuut = was; vishrutaH = renowned; iti = as; shaNkhaNaH = Shankhana; tadviiryam = kalmashapada's valour; vyaniishat = perished; saha sainyaH = along with his army.
"Kalmashapada's son was renowned as Shankhana, who, even on attaining his father's valour, perished (in a battle) along with his army."
शन्खणस्य तु पुत्रो अभूत् शूरः श्रीमान् सुदर्शनः |
सुदर्शनस्य अग्नि वर्ण अग्नि वर्षस्य शीघ्रगः || २-११०-३०
शीघ्रगस्य मरुः पुत्रो मरोः पुत्रः प्रशुश्रुकः |
प्रशुश्रुकस्य पुत्रो अभूद् अम्बरीषो महा द्युतिः || २-११०-३१
अम्बरीषस्य पुत्रो अभून् नहुषः सत्य विक्रमः |
नहुषस्य च नाभागः पुत्रः परम धार्मिकः || २-११०-३२
अजः च सुव्रतः चैव नाभागस्य सुताउ उभौ |
अजस्य चैव धर्म आत्मा राजा दशरथः सुतः || २-११०-३३
30; 31; 32; 33. shriiman = the fortunate; sadarshanaH = Sudarshana; putraH = was the son; shaNkhaNasya = of Shankhana; sudarshanasya = Sudarshana's (son); (was); agnivarNaH = Agnivarna; agnivarNasya = and of Agnivarna (was born); shiighragaH = Shigraga; shiighragasya = Shighraga's' putraH = son was; maruH = Maru; maroH = Maru's; putraH = son; prashushruvaH = was Prashushruva; prashushruvasya = of Prashushruva; abhuut = was born; putraH = a son; ambariiSaH = Ambarisha; ambariiSasya = of Ambarisha; abhuut = was born; putraH = a son; nahuSaH = Nahusha; satyavikramaH = who was full ofvalour; nahuSasya = Nahusha's; putraH = son; naabhaagaH = Nabhaga; parama dhaarmikaH = of outstanding virtue; ajashcha = Aja; su vratashchaiva = Suvrata; ubhau = were the two; sutau = sons; naabhagasya = of Nabhaga; ajasyaiva = sutau = sons; naabhaagasya = of Nabhaga; ajasyaiva = Aja's; sutaH = son; dharmaatmaa = was the virtuous; raaja dasharathaH = king Dasaratha.
The fortunate Sudarshana was the son of Shankhana. Sudarshana's son was Agnivarna; and of Agnivarna was born Shighraga. Shighraga begot Maru and Maru's son was Prashushruva from Prashushruva was born Ambarisha of that great radiance. To Ambarisha was born a son named Nahusha who was full of valour. Nahusha's son was Nabhaga of outstanding virtue. Aja and Suvrata were the two sons of Nabhaga and it was Aja who begot the virtuous King Dasartha."
तस्य ज्येष्ठो असि दायादो राम इत्य् अभिविश्रुतः |
तद् गृहाण स्वकम् राज्यम् अवेक्षस्व जगन् नृप || ३४
34. asi = you are; jyeSThaH = the eldest son; tasya = of that Dasaratha; abhivishrutaH = very well known; raama iti = as Rama; daayaadaH = the heir who can claim over the inheritance; nR^ipaiH = O; king!; tat = for that reason; gR^ihaaNa = take over; svakam = your; raajyam = kingdom; avekSasva = look after; janam = your people.
"You are the eldest son of that Dasaratha, very well-known as Rama, the heir who can claim over the inheritance. O, King! Hence, take over your kingdom and look after your people there."
इक्ष्वाकूणाम् हि सर्वेषाम् राजा भवति पूर्वजः |
पूर्वजेन अवरः पुत्रो ज्येष्ठो राज्ये अभिषिच्यते || २-११०-३५
35. puurvajaH = the eldest son only; bhavati = becomes; raajaa = the king; sarveSaam = in the entire; ikSvaakuuNaam = people born in Ikshvaku race; puuraje = (when) the eldest exists; avaraH = the younger; na = will not (become the king); jyeSThaH putraH = the eldest son only; abhiSichyate = is anointed; raajye = to the cronw.
"The eldest son only becomes the king in the entire Ikshvaku race. When the eldest son exists, the younger son will not become a king. The eldest son only is anointed to the crown.
स राघवाणाम् कुल धर्मम् आत्मनः |
सनातनम् न अद्य विहातुम् अर्हसि |
प्रभूत रत्नाम् अनुशाधि मेदिनीम् |
प्रभूत राष्ट्राम् पितृवन् महा यशाः || २-११०-३६
36. mahaayashaH = O; the celebrated one!; sanaatanam = this is the eternal; kuladharmam = tradition of your race; raghuvaaNaam = those born in Raghu dynasty; aatmanaH = yours; saH = as such; naarhasi = and ought not; vihantum = to be violated by you; adya = now; anushaadhi = rule over; mediniim = the earth; prabhuuta ratnaam = abundant with precious metals; prabhuuta raaSTraam = and a vast kingdom; pitR^ivat = as did your father.
"O, the celebrated one! This is the eternal tradition of your race, those born in Raghu dynasty and ought not to be violated by you. Rule over the earth, this vast kingdom abudant with precious metals, as did your father."
- - -
इत्यार्षे श्रीमद्रामायणे आदिकाव्ये अयोध्याकाण्डे दशोत्तरशततमः सर्गः यशाः ||(ए)(ग़ेम्)
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© August 2005, K. M. K. Murthy