Vasishta gives details of the creation of the world to Sri Rama. He says that Brahma, in the form of a boar caused the earth to rise from water and from Brahma is created the entire world. He recites the Genealogy of Rama's line. He informs that Aja and Suvrata were the two sons of Nabhaga and it was Aja who begot the virtuous King Dasaratha; Rama's father. Vasishta also informs Rama that i the whole of Ikshvaku race, only the eldest son becomes the king. He requests Sri Rama not to violate this tradition and take over the reins of Ayodhya.
kruddham aaj~naaya raama tu vasiShThaH pratyuvaaca ha |
jaabaaliH api jaaniite lokasya asya gata aagatim || 2-110-1
1. aajJNaaya = recognising; raamam = Rama's; kruddham = anger; vasiSThaH = Vasishta; pratyuvaacha ha = spoke as follows: jabaalirapi = even Jabali; jaaniite = is aware; gataagatam = of the going and coming; asya lokasya = of this world.
Recognising that Rama has become angry, Vaishta spoke as follows: "Even Jabali is aware of the going and coming of this world."
nivartayitu kaamaH tu tvaam etad vaakyam abraviit |
imaam loka samutpattim loka naatha nibodha me || 2-110-2
2. uktavaan = (He) spoke; etat = these; vaakyam = words; tvaam nivartayitu kaamastu = on account of his desire that you should return; lokanaatha = O; Lord of the poeple! nibodha = learn; me = from me; lokasamutpattim = of the creation of the world!.
"He spoke in this manner, on account of his desire that you should return. O, Lord of the poeple! Learn from me of the creation of the world!"
sarvam salilam eva aasiit pR^ithivii yatra nirmitaa |
tataH samabhavad brahmaa svayambhuur daivataiH saha || 2-110-3
3. sarvam = all; aasiit = was; salilam eva = water only (in the beginning); yatra = from which element; pR^ittivii = the earth; nirmitaa = was formed; tataH = and after that; svayambhuuH = the self-existent; brahmaa = Brahma; daivataiH saha = with all the gods; sambhavat = came into existence.
"All was water only in the beginning" from which element the earth was formed. After that, the self-existent Brahma with all the gods came into existence."
sa varaahaH tato bhuutvaa projjahaara vasu.ndharaam |
asR^ijac ca jagat sarvam saha putraiH kR^ita aatmabhiH || 2-110-4
4. tataH = thereafter; saH = that Brahma; bhuutvaa = assuming; varaahaH = the form of a boar; projjahaara vasundharaam = caused the earth to rise (from water); putraiH saha = and with his sons; kR^itaatmabhiH = of pure soul; aasR^ijachcha = created; sarvam = the entire; jagat = world.
"Thereafter, that Brahma, assuming the form of boar, caused the earth to rise from water and with his sons of pure soul, created the entire world."
aakaasha prabhavo brahmaa shaashvato nitya avyayaH |
tasmaan mariiciH samjajne mariiceH kashyapaH sutaH || 2-110-5
5. shaashvataH = the eternal; ityaH = changeless; avyayaH = and imperishable; brahmaa = Brahma; aakaasha prabhavaH = was begotten from ether; tasmaat = and from him; mariichiH = Marichi; samjajNe = was born; kashyapaH = Kashyapa; maricheH = was Marichi's; sutaH = son.
"The eternal, changeless and imperishable Brahma was begotten from ether and from his was born Marichi. Marichi's son was kashyapa."
vivasvaan kashyapaaj jajne manur vaivastavaH smR^itaH |
sa tu prajaapatiH puurvam ikShvaakuH tu manoH sutaH || 2-110-6
6. kashyapaat = from Kashyapa; vivasvaan = Vivasvan; jajJNe = was born; manuH = Manu; vaivasvataH sutaH = was the son of Vivasvan; satu = Manu for his part; puurvam = formerly; prajaapatiH = was the lord of creation; ikSvaakuH = Ikshvaku; manoH = was Manu's sutaH = son.
"From Kashyapa, Vivasvan(sun-god) was born. manu was the son of Vivasvan. Manu for his part, was formerly the lord of creation. Ikshvaku was Manu' s son."
yasya iyam prathamam dattaa samR^iddhaa manunaa mahii |
tam ikShvaakum ayodhyaayaam raajaanam viddhi puurvakam || 2-110-7
7. yasya = to whom; samR^iddhaa = the fertile; mahii = earth; prathamam = initially; dattaa = was given; manunaa = by Manu; viddhi = know; tam ikSvaakum = the Iksvaku; puurvakam = as the first; raajaanam = king; ayodhyaayaam = of Ayodhya.
"The entire fertile earth was given by Manu to Ikshvaku and know that Ikshvaku was thus the first king of Ayodhya!"
ikShvaakoH tu sutaH shriimaan kukShir eva iti vishrutaH |
kukSher atha aatmajo viiro vikukShir udapadyata || 2-110-8
8. ikSvaakoH = Ikshvaku's; sutaH = son; vishrutaH = was known as; shriimaan = the illustrious; kukSireveti = Kukshi; atha = thereafter; kukSeH = kukshi's; aatmajaH = son; viiraH = was the valiant; vikukSiH = Vikukshi; udapadyata = born.
"Ikshvaku's son was known as Kukshi, the illustrious king. Then, Kukshi's son was the valiant Vikukshi."
vikukSheH tu mahaa tejaa baaNaH putraH prataapavaan |
baaNasya tu mahaa baahur anaraNyo mahaa yashaaH || 2-110-9
9. vikukSeH = to Vikukshi (was born); baaNaH = Bana; mahaatejaaH = the most splendid; prataapavaan = and powerful; putraH = son; baaNasya = to Bana; (was born); anaraNyaH = Anaranya; mahaabaahuH = the mighty armed; mayaayashaaH = and the most illustrious one.
"To Vikukshi was born the most splendid and powerful son, Bana. To Bana was born Anaranya the mighty armed and the most illustrious son."
naanaa vR^iShTir babhuuva asmin na durbhikSham sataam vare |
anaraNye mahaa raaje taskaro vaa api kashcana || 2-110-10
10. asmin anaraNye = (While) this Anaranya = vare = the excellent; sataam = among beings; mahaaraaje = was the emperor; na babhuuva = there was no; anavR^iSThiH = dearth of rain; na = nor; durbhikSam = drought; na kashchana = no one; takraH = was a thief.
"While this King Anaranya, the most excellent among beings was reigning, there was neither dearth of rain nor a drought. No one was a thief."
anaraNyaan mahaa baahuH pR^ithuu raajaa babhuuva ha |
tasmaat pR^ithor mahaa raajaH trishankur udapadyata || 2-110-11
sa satya vacanaad viiraH sashariiro divam gataH |
11. anaraNyaat = from Anaranya; babhuuvaha = was born; mahaabahuH = the mighty armed; raajaa = king; pR^ithuH = Prithu; tasmaat pR^ithoH = from that Prithu; udapadyata = was born; mahaaraajaH = the Emperor; trishaNkuH = Trishanku; saH viiraH = that valiant man; gataH = ascended to; divam = heaven; sa shariiraH = along with his mortal body; satya vachanaat = for his true eloquence.
"From Anaranya was born the mighty armed king Prithu. From Prithu was born the Emperor Trishanku. That valiant man ascneded to heaven along with his mortal body, because of his true eloquence."
trishankor abhavat suunur dhundhumaaro mahaa yashaaH || 2-110-12
dhundhumaaraan mahaa tejaa yuvana ashvo vyajaayata |
12. trishaN^koH = to Trishanku; abhavat = was born; suumuH = a son; mahaayashaaH = the highly illustrious; dundhumaaraH = Dundhumara; dundhumaarut = from Dundhumara; vyajaayata = was born; mahaatejaaH = the hero; yuvanaashvaH = Yuvanasva.
"To Trishanku was born a son, the highly illustrious Dundhumara. From Dundhumara was born the hero, Yuvanasva."
yuvana ashva sutaH shriimaan maandhaataa samapadyata || 2-110-13
maandhaatuH tu mahaa tejaaH susa.ndhir udapadyata |
susa.ndher api putrau dvau dhruva sa.ndhiH prasenajit || 2-110-14
yashasvii dhruva sa.ndheH tu bharato ripu suudanaH |
13; 14. shriimaan = the illustirous; maandhaataa = Mandhata; sampadyata = was born; yuvanaaashva sutaH = as a son to Yuvanasva; mandhaatuH = to Mandhata; udapadyata = was born; mahaatejaaH = the hero; susandhiH = Susandhi; dvau = (therewere) too; putrau = sons; dhruvasandhiH = Dhruvasandhi; prasenajit = and Prasenajit; susandherapi = to Susandhi; dhruvasandheH = from Dhruvasandhi (was born); yashasvii = the illustrious; bharataH = Bharata; ripusuudanaH = the annihilata of enemies.
"The illustrious Mandhata was born as a son to Yuvanasva. To Mandhata was born the hero, Susandhi. There were two sons Dhruvasandhi and prasenajit to Susandhi. From Dhruvasandhi was born the illustrious Bharata, the annihilator of enemies."
bharataat tu mahaa baahor asito naama jaayata || 2-110-15
yasya ete pratiraajaana udapadyanta shatravaH |
haihayaaH taala janghaaH ca shuuraaH ca shasha bindavaH || 2-110-16
15; 16. mahaabaahoH bharataat = from the mighty armed Bharata; jaayata = was born; asitonaama = a son named Asita; yasya = for whom; haihayaaH = Haihayas; taalaN^ghaashcha = Talajanghas; shuuraaH = and the valiant; shashibindavashcha = shashibindavas; upapadyanta = became; pratiraajaanaH = royal adversaries; shatravoH = and enemies.
"From the mighty armed Bharata was born a son named Asita, for whom his royal adversaries, Haihayas, Talajanghas and the valiant Shashibindavas became the enemies."
taamH tu sarvaan prativyuuhya yuddhe raajaa pravaasitaH |
sa ca shaila vare ramye babhuuva abhirato muniH || 2-110-17
17. prati vyuuhya = having drawn out his battle-array against; taan sarvaan = all those kings; yuddhe = in a combat; raajaa = the king Asita; pravaasitaH = was driven away; saH = he; babhuuva = became; abhirataH = a devoted; muniH = sage; ramye = on a beautiful; shailavare = and excellent mountain.
"Having drawn out his battle-array against all those kings in a combat, the king Asita was driven away. Asita then became a devoted sage taking asylum in an excellent and charming mountain."
dve ca asya bhaarye garbhiNyau babhuuvatur iti shrutiH |
ekaa garbhavinaashaaya sapatnyai garaLaM dadau || 2-110-18
18. asya = Asita's; dve bhaarye = two wives; babhuuvatuH = became; garbhiNyau = pregnant; iti = this is; shrutiH = a hear-say; ekaa = one wife; dadau = gave; garalam = poison; sapatnai = to the other co-wife; gabhavinaashaaya = for the destruction of foetus.
"Asita's two wives became pregnant. It is a hearsay that one of his wives gave poison to the other co-wife in order to destroy her foetus."
bhaargavaH cyavano naama himavantam upaashritaH |
tam R^iShim samupaagamya kaalindii tu abhyavaadayat || 2-110-19
sa taam abhyavadad vipro vara iipsum putra janmani |
19. chayaveno naama = A sage called Chyavana; bhaargavaH = belonging to Bhrign race; upaashritaH = was taking a shelter; himavantam = in a Himalayan mountain; kaalindii = Kalindi; samupaagamya = approached; tam R^iSim = that sage; abhyavaadayat = and offered her salutaion; saH vipraH = that brahmana; abhyavadat = spoke; taam = to her; varepsum = who wanted to get a boon; putrajanmani = for the birth of a son.
"A sage called Chyavana, belonging to Bhrign race was staying in a Himalayan mountain. Kalindi (Asita's wife) approached that sage and offered her salutation. That brahmna spoke the following words to her, who wanted to obtain a boon for the birth of a son."
putraste bhavitaa devi mahaatmaa lokavishrutaH || 2-110-20
dhaarmikashcha sushiilashcha vaMshakartaarisuudanaH |
20. devi = O; Queen!; putraH = A son; mahaatmaa = with a great soul; lokavishrutaH = world-famous; dhaarmikashcha = a rightous man; sushiilashcha = of a good conduct; vamsha kartaa = a perpetuator of the race; arisuudanaH = and an annihilator of enemies; bhavitaa = will be born; te = to you.
"O, Queen! A high-souled son, who will be world-famous, rightous, of a good conduct, a perpetuator of the race and an annihilator of enemies will be born to you."
kR^itvaapradakShiNaM hR^iShTaa muniM tamanumaanya cha || 2-110-21
padmapatrasamaanaakShaM padmagarbhasamaprabham |
tataH saa gR^iham aagamya devii putram vyajaayata || 2-110-22
21; 22. saH devii = that Queen Kalindi; hR^iSTaa = delighted as she was; pradakSiNam kR^iSTaa = delighted as she was; pradakSiNam kR^itvaa = circumambulated; tam munim = that sage; anumaanyacha = took permission to leave; tataH = and thereafter; aagamya = on reaching; gR^itam = home; vyajaayat = had delivered; putram- a son; padmapatra samaanaakSam = having eyes resembling lotus-leaves; padmagarbha samaprabham = and having a radiance like that of Brahma the Lord of creation.
"The delighted Queen Kalindi circumambulated that sage, took permission from him to leave and thereafter on reaching home, had delivered a son, having eyes resembling lotus-leaves and having a radiance like that of Brahama the Lord of creation."
sapatnyaa tu garaH tasyai datto garbha jighaa.nsayaa |
gareNa saha tena eva jaataH sa sagaro abhavat || 2-110-23
23. garaH = poison; dattaH = was given; tasyaiH = to her; sapatnyaa = by her co-wife; garbha jighaamsayaa = with an intention to kill her foetus; jaataH = born; tena gareNa sahaiva = with that poison itself; saH = he; abhavat = became; sagaraH = Sagara ( a man with poison).
"Poison was given earlier by her co-wife with an intention to kill her foetus. Born with that poison itself, he became Sagara (a man with poison)."
sa raajaa sagaro naama yaH samudram akhaanayat |
iShTvaa parvaNi vegena traasayantam imaaH prajaaH || 2-110-24
24. saH = He; yaH = which; sagaro naama raajaa = king was named as Sagara; iSTvaa = performed sacrifices; parvaNi = on the day of the full moon; akhaanayat = got excavated; samndram = the ocean; traasa yantam = frightening; imaam prajaaH = these people; vegena = by his seed of digging.
"It was king SAgara who excavated the ocen and who, by his sacrifice, on the day of the full moon, by his energy, frightened the people here by the speed of his digging."
asamanjaH tu putro abhuut sagarasya iti naH shrutam |
jiivann eva sa pitraa tu nirastaH paapa karma kR^it || 2-110-25
25. asamaNJNaH = Asmanja; abhuut = was; sagarasya = Sagara's; putraH = son; shrutam = there was a hearsay; naH = to us; iti = that; saH = Asamanja; paapakarama kR^it = on account of his wicked deeds; nirastah = was banished; pitraa = by his fatehr; jiivanneva = even while living.
"Asamanja was Sagara's son. There was a hearsay that on account of his wicked deeds, Asamanja was banished by his father even during his life time."
a.nshumaan iti putro abhuud asamanjasya viiryavaan |
diliipo a.nshumataH putro diliipasya bhagiirathaH || 2-110-26
26. AsamaNJasya = to asamanja; abhuut = was born; viiryavaan = a valiant; putraH = son; amshumaaniti = called Amshuman; diliipaH = dilipa; amshumataH = was Amshuman's; putraH = son; bhagiirathaH = Bhagiratha; diliipasya = was Dilipa's son.
"A valiant son called amshuman was born to Asamanja. Dilipa was Amshuman's son. Bhagiratha was Dilipa's son.
bhagiirathaat kakutsthaH tu kaakutsthaa yena tu smR^itaaH |
kakutsthasya tu putro abhuud raghur yena tu raaghavaH || 2-110-27
27. bhagiirathaat = of Bhagiratha; kakutthsaH = was born; kaakutthaaH = the Kakutsthas; vishrutaaH = take their name; kakutthsasya cha = to Kakutstha; abhuut = was born; putra = a son; raghuH = called Raghu; yena = from whence (spring); raaghavaaH = Ragahavas.
"Of Bhagiratha was born kakutstha, from whom the Kakutsthas take their name. To Kakutsthas was born a son called Raghu, from whence spring Raghavas."
raghoH tu putraH tejasvii pravR^iddhaH puruSha adakaH |
kalmaaSha paadaH saudaasa ity evam prathito bhuvi || 2-110-28
28. raghoH = from Raghu (was born); tejasvii = a renowned; putraH = son; pravR^iddhaH = called Pravriddha; prathitaH = known; bhuvi = in the world; ityevam = under the names; puruSaadakaH = Purushadaka; kalmaaSapaadaH = Kalmashapada; sondaasaH = and Soudasa.
"From Raghu was born a renowned son named Pravriddha, known in the world under the names Purushadaka, Kalmashapada and Soudasa."
kalmaaSha paada putro abhuut shankhaNaH tu iti vishrutaH |
yaH tu tad viiryam aasaadya saha seno vyaniinashat || 2-110-29
29. kalmaSapaada putraH = Kalmashapada's son; abhuut = was; vishrutaH = renowned; iti = as; shaNkhaNaH = Shankhana; tadviiryam = kalmashapada's valour; vyaniishat = perished; saha sainyaH = along with his army.
"Kalmashapada's son was renowned as Shankhana, who, even on attaining his father's valour, perished (in a battle) along with his army."
shankhaNasya tu putro abhuut shuuraH shriimaan sudarshanaH |
sudarshanasya agni varNa agni varShasya shiighragaH || 2-110-30
shiighragasya maruH putro maroH putraH prashushrukaH |
prashushrukasya putro abhuud ambariiSho mahaa dyutiH || 2-110-31
ambariiShasya putro abhuun nahuShaH satya vikramaH |
nahuShasya ca naabhaagaH putraH parama dhaarmikaH || 2-110-32
ajaH ca suvrataH caiva naabhaagasya sutaau ubhau |
ajasya caiva dharma aatmaa raajaa dasharathaH sutaH || 2-110-33
30; 31; 32; 33. shriiman = the fortunate; sadarshanaH = Sudarshana; putraH = was the son; shaNkhaNasya = of Shankhana; sudarshanasya = Sudarshana's (son); (was); agnivarNaH = Agnivarna; agnivarNasya = and of Agnivarna (was born); shiighragaH = Shigraga; shiighragasya = Shighraga's' putraH = son was; maruH = Maru; maroH = Maru's; putraH = son; prashushruvaH = was Prashushruva; prashushruvasya = of Prashushruva; abhuut = was born; putraH = a son; ambariiSaH = Ambarisha; ambariiSasya = of Ambarisha; abhuut = was born; putraH = a son; nahuSaH = Nahusha; satyavikramaH = who was full ofvalour; nahuSasya = Nahusha's; putraH = son; naabhaagaH = Nabhaga; parama dhaarmikaH = of outstanding virtue; ajashcha = Aja; su vratashchaiva = Suvrata; ubhau = were the two; sutau = sons; naabhagasya = of Nabhaga; ajasyaiva = sutau = sons; naabhaagasya = of Nabhaga; ajasyaiva = Aja's; sutaH = son; dharmaatmaa = was the virtuous; raaja dasharathaH = king Dasaratha.
The fortunate Sudarshana was the son of Shankhana. Sudarshana's son was Agnivarna; and of Agnivarna was born Shighraga. Shighraga begot Maru and Maru's son was Prashushruva from Prashushruva was born Ambarisha of that great radiance. To Ambarisha was born a son named Nahusha who was full of valour. Nahusha's son was Nabhaga of outstanding virtue. Aja and Suvrata were the two sons of Nabhaga and it was Aja who begot the virtuous King Dasartha."
tasya jyeShTho asi daayaado raama ity abhivishrutaH |
tad gR^ihaaNa svakam raajyam avekShasva jagan nR^ipa || 34
34. asi = you are; jyeSThaH = the eldest son; tasya = of that Dasaratha; abhivishrutaH = very well known; raama iti = as Rama; daayaadaH = the heir who can claim over the inheritance; nR^ipaiH = O; king!; tat = for that reason; gR^ihaaNa = take over; svakam = your; raajyam = kingdom; avekSasva = look after; janam = your people.
"You are the eldest son of that Dasaratha, very well-known as Rama, the heir who can claim over the inheritance. O, King! Hence, take over your kingdom and look after your people there."
ikShvaakuuNaam hi sarveShaam raajaa bhavati puurvajaH |
puurvajena avaraH putro jyeShTho raajye abhiShicyate || 2-110-35
35. puurvajaH = the eldest son only; bhavati = becomes; raajaa = the king; sarveSaam = in the entire; ikSvaakuuNaam = people born in Ikshvaku race; puuraje = (when) the eldest exists; avaraH = the younger; na = will not (become the king); jyeSThaH putraH = the eldest son only; abhiSichyate = is anointed; raajye = to the cronw.
"The eldest son only becomes the king in the entire Ikshvaku race. When the eldest son exists, the younger son will not become a king. The eldest son only is anointed to the crown.
sa raaghavaaNaam kula dharmam aatmanaH |
sanaatanam na adya vihaatum arhasi |
prabhuuta ratnaam anushaadhi mediniim |
prabhuuta raaShTraam pitR^ivan mahaa yashaaH || 2-110-36
36. mahaayashaH = O; the celebrated one!; sanaatanam = this is the eternal; kuladharmam = tradition of your race; raghuvaaNaam = those born in Raghu dynasty; aatmanaH = yours; saH = as such; naarhasi = and ought not; vihantum = to be violated by you; adya = now; anushaadhi = rule over; mediniim = the earth; prabhuuta ratnaam = abundant with precious metals; prabhuuta raaSTraam = and a vast kingdom; pitR^ivat = as did your father.
"O, the celebrated one! This is the eternal tradition of your race, those born in Raghu dynasty and ought not to be violated by you. Rule over the earth, this vast kingdom abudant with precious metals, as did your father."
- - -
ityaarShe shriimadraamaayaNe aadikaavye ayodhyaakaaNDe dashottarashatatamaH sargaH yashaaH ||(E)(Gem)
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© August 2005, K. M. K. Murthy
Global View of
Secure FTPS anywhere, Go FTP FREE Program