In this chapter Kaikeyi asks King Dasaratha to fulfill the boons given to her in earlier times.
taM manmathasharairviddhaM kaamavegavashaanugam |
uvaacha pR^ithiviipaalaM kaikeyii daaruNaM vachaH || 2-11-1
1. kaikeyii = Kaikeyi; uvacha = spoke ; daaruNam = harsh; vachaH = words; tam pR^ithiviipaalam = to that king; viddham = struck; manmadhasharaH = by cupid's arrows; kaamavega vashaanugan = yielded to hasty lust.
Kaikeyi spoke harsh words to that king, who was struck by cupid's arrows and yielded to hasty lust.
naasmi viprakR^itaa deva kena chinnaavamaanitaa |
abhipraayastu me kashchittamichchhaami tvayaa kR^itam || 2-11-2
2. deva = Oh; King!; naasmi = I am not; viprakR^itaa = insulted; kenachit = by anybody; na avamaanitaa = nor despired; tu = but; me = my; kashchit = certain; abhipraayaH = wish ; ichchhaami = I desire; tam = it; kR^itam = to be accomplished; tvayaa = by you.
"Oh, King! no body has insulted me, nor despised me. But I have a certain, desire that needs to be fulfilled by you."
pratijJNaaM pratijaaniishhva yadi tvaM kartu michchhasi |
atha tadvyaaharishhyaami yadabhipraarthitaM mayaa || 2-11-3
3. tvam ichchhasiyadi = If you wish; kartum = to do; pratijJNaam pratijaaniishhva = you promise; atha = Thereafter; vyaaharishhyaami = I shall tell; at = that; yat = which; abhipraarthitam = desired.
"If you wish to fulfil my desire, you promise to fulfil it. After your promise I shall inform you that which is desired by me."
taamuvaacha mahaatejaaH kaikeyiimiishhadutsmaitaH |
kaamii hastena saMgR^ihya muurdhajeshhu shuchismitaam || 2-11-4
4. mahaatejaH = The most majestic; kaamii = lustful Dasaratha; utsmitaH = out smiled; iishaat = a little; samgR^ihya = seized; hastena = with hand; muuritaneshhu = into hair; taam kaikeyiim = that Kaikeyi; shuchismitaam = having white smile; uvaacha = and spoke
The most majestic and lustful Dasaratha smiled a little and caressingly kept his hand into her hair and spoke these words to Kaikeyi who was having white smile in her face.
avalipte na jaanaasi tvattaH priyataro mama |
manujo manujavyaaghraadraamaadanyo na vidyate || 2-11-5
5. avalipte = Oh; proud woman!; najaanaasi = don't you know; avidyate anyaH = there is no other; manujaH = man; priyataraH = more dearer; mama = to me; tvattaH = than you; raamaat = except Rama; manuja vyaagraat = the best among men.
"Oh, proud woman! Don't you know that there is nobody on this earth more dearer to me than you except Rama, the best among men."
tenaajayyena mukhyena raaghaveNa mahaatmanaa |
shape te jiivanaarheNa bruuhi yanmanasechchhasi || 2-11-6
6. tena raaghaveNa = By that Rama; ajayyena = who cannot be defeated; mukhyena = who is important person|; jeevanaarheNa = who is worthy of being lived upon; mahaatmanaa = who is highsouled; shape = I take oath; bruuhi = Tell; yat = what; ichhasi = is desired.
"Rama cannot be defeated by enemies. He is a very important person in our family. He is the supporter of life and a high souled man. I take oath by him. Tell me what is desired by you".
yaM muhuurtamapashyaMstu na jiiveyamahaM dhruvam |
tena raameNa kaikeyi shape te vachanakriyaam || 2-11-7
7. kaikeyi = Oh; Kaikeyi!; aham = I; na jiiveyam = cannot live; dhR^ivam = certainly; muhuurtam = a moment; apashyan = with out seeing; yam = Rama; tena raameNa = by that Rama; shape = I take oath; te vachana kriyaam = to fulfill your word.
"Oh, Kaikeyi ! I can't live even for a moment without seeing Rama. This is certain. By that Rama, I am taking my oath and promising to fulfill your word".
aatmanaa vaatmajaishchaanyairvR^iNe yaM manujarshhabham |
tena raameNa kaikeyi shape te vachanakriyaam || 2-11-8
8. kaikeyi = Oh; Kaikeyi ! vR^iNe = I desire; yam = which; manujarshhabham = best of men; anyaiH = by other; aatmajaishcha = sons; tena raameNa = by that Rama ; manasa = by your mind
"I desire the well being of Rama, the best of men, even at the cost of my life or the lives of my other sons. I take oath by that Rama and tell you that I shall fulfil your word."
bhadre hR^idayamapyetadannumR^ishyoddharasva me |
etatsamiikshya kaikeyi bruuhi yatsaadhu manyase || 2-11-9
9. bhadre = Oh; auspicious woman! uddharasva = Raise; tat = this; me = my; hR^idayam = heart; anum R^ishya = by touching; kaikeyi = Oh;Kaikeyi! samiikshhya = observe; etat = this; bruuhi = tell; yat = which; manyase = you think; saadhu = as good.
"Oh, auspicious lady! My heart is sinking. You raise it by your touch. Oh, Kaikeyi! you observe all this and tell me that which you think as good."
balamaatmani jaanantii na maaM shaN^kitumarhasi |
karishhyaami tava priitiM sukR^itenaapi te shape || 2-11-10
10. na arhasi shaNk^itum = to doubt; maam = me; jaanantii = you know; balam = your strength; aatmaani = over me; shape = I take oath; te = to you; sukR^itenaapi = by auspiciousness also; karishhye = I shall do; tava = your; priitim = desire.
"You need not doubt me as you know your authority over me. I am taking oath on my auspiciousness. I shall do whatever is desired by you."
saa tadarthamanaa devii tamabhipraayamaagatam |
nirmaadhyasthyaachcha harshhaachcha babhaashhe durvachaM vachaH || 2-11-11
11. devi = Kaikeyi; tadarthamanaaH = keeping in mind her wish for coronation of Bharata and for Rama's exile; avedayanthi = informing; tam abhipraayam = that wish; aagatam = coming to her mind; babhaashhe = spoke; durvacham = unspeakable; vachaH = words; nirmaadhyasthuaat = with bias; harshhaatcha = and with delight.
That Kaikeyi, who has utmost desire for coronation of Bharata and for sending Rama to exile, revealing that wish from her mind, uttered unspeakable wordswith bias and delight.
tena vaakyena saMhR^ishhTaa tamabhipraayamaagatam |
vyaajahaara mahaaghoramabhyaagatamivaantakam || 2-11-12
12. sahR^ishhTaa = Kaikeyi having delighted; tena vaakyena = by those words; vyaajahaara = spoke; tam abhipraayam = that wish; aagatam = coming to her mind; mahaaghoram = which is very terrific; antakamiva = like death; abhyaagatam = coming suddenly.
Kaikeyi, having been delighted with Dasaratha's words, conveyed him of the very horrible wish in her mind as conveying the news of a suddenly befallen death.
yathaa krameNa shapasi varaM mama dadaasi cha |
tachchhR^iNvantu trayastriiMshaddevaaH saagnipurogamaaH || 2-11-13
13. saagnipurogamaH = with the god of Fire in the forefront; sriNvantu trayastrimshaddevaaH = thirty three celestials hear; tat = that; dadaasicha = offering of; varam = boon; mama = to me; thaa = as; krameNa = with series of; sapasi = your oaths.
"Let thirty three celestials with the god of Fire in the forefront hear your words giving boons to me, preceded by series of your oaths"
chandraadityau nabhashaiva grahaa raatryahanii dishaH |
jagachcha pR^ithivii cheyaM sagandharvaa saraakshasaa || 2-11-14
nishaacharaaNi bhuutaani gR^iheshhu gR^ihadevataaH |
yaani chaanyaani bhuutaani jaaniiyurbhaashhitaM tava || 2-11-15
14;15. jaaniiyuH tava bhaashitam = Let your words be known to; chandraadityau = moon and sun; nabhaH evacha = sky; grahaaH = planets; raatrayahaani = nights and days; dishaH = directions; jagachcha = universe ; sagandharvaa = together with celestial musicians; saraakshhasaa = with demons; iyam = this; pRi^thivii = earth; bhuutaani = spirits; nishaacharaaNi = wandering in nights; gR^ihadevataaH = house gods; gR^iheshhu = in houses; yaani = which; anyaani = other; bhuutaani = spirits.
"Let your words be heard by sun, moon, sky, planets, day, night, the directions, universe, earth, celestial musicians, demons, spirits wandering in nights , house-gods and other spirits."
satysandho mahaatejaadharmajJNH susamaahitaH |
varaM mama dadaatyeshha tanme shR^iNvantu devataaaH || 2-11-16
16. eshhaH = This king Dasaratha; satyasandhaH = who has true promise; mahaatejaH = who has great valour; dharmagyaH = who knows righteousness; susamaahitaH = who has good equanimity ; dadaati = is giving; varam = boon; mama = to me; sR^iNvantu devataaH = let celestials hear; tat = it; me = for my sake.
"King Dasaratha, who has true promise, who has great valour, who knows righteousness and who has good equanimity of mind, is giving boon to me. Let the celestials hear it for my sake."
iti devii maheshhvaasaM parigR^ihyabhishasya cha |
tataH paramuvaachedaM varadaM kaamamohitam || 2-11-17
17. devii = Kaikeyi; parigR^ihya = overpowered; maheshhvaasam = Dasaratha; who has great bow ; abhishasyacha = promised too much and; tataHaparam = thereafter; uvachaa = spoke; idam = these words; shatruH = the enemy; aachya avayat = removed; tava jiivitam antaraa = almost everything except your life.
Kaikeyi made Dasaratha to hear these words, praised him too much and thereafter spoke these words to him who was ready to give boons as he was infatuated by lust.
smara raajn puraa vR^ittaM tasmin daivaasure raNe |
tatra chaachyaavayachchhatrustava jiivatamantaraa || 2-11-18
18. raajan = Oh;King! smara = remember; vR^itam = the occasion of; tasmin = that; daivaasure = between celestials and demons; puraa = in the past; tatra = in the battle;varan = boons; me = to my self.
"Oh, King! Remember what happened in the battle between celestials and demons in the olden times. There the enemy destroyed almost every thing except your life".
tatra chaapi mayaa deva yattvaM samabhirakshitaH |
jaagratyaa yatamaanaayaastato me praadadaa varau || 2-11-19
19. deva = Oh; King! tatracha = There; yat = by which reason; tvam = you; samabhirakshitaH = were saved; mayaa = by me; tataH = by that reason praadadaaH = you give; kaama mohitam = infatuated by lust; varadam = who was ready to confer boons.
"Oh, King! There, I saved you. Hence you gave boon to myself who was attentive in trying to save you."
tau tu dattau varau deva nikshepau mR^igayaamyaham |
tathaiva pR^ithiviipaala sakaashe satyasaMgara || 2-11-20
20. deva = Oh;King! PR^ithiviipaala = The protector of the Earth; satyasangara = the one who has true promise; aham = I; mR^igayaami = am hunting; tou varautu = for those boons; dattau = given; nikshhepau = kept for safe custody; tava sakaashe eva = at your vicinity only.
"Oh, King! The protection of the Earth, the one who has true promise! I am hunting for those boons, which were given by you and kept with you for safe custody."
tatpratishrutya dharmeNa na cheddaasyasi me varam |
adyaiva hi prahaasyaami jiivitaM tvadvimaanitaa || 2-11-21
21. tat = for that reason; pratishrutya = after promising; me = my; varam = boon; na daashyasi = if you do not give it; dharmeNa = as per right; tvadvimaanitaa = I being despised by you; prahaashyaami hi = shall abandon; jiivitam = life; adyaiva = now itself.
"You have to give that boon, as per right, to me as promised by you. If you despise me by not giving it, I should abandon my life now itself".
vaaN^maatreNa tadaa raajaa kaikeyyaa svavashe kR^itaH |
prachskanda vinaashaaya paashaM vR^iga ivaatmanaH || 2-11-22
22. tadaa = Then; raajaH = Dasaratha; kR^itaH = who was made; svavashe = into her submission; vaaN^maatreNa = in full measure of words; kaikeyyaa = by Kaikeyi; prachaskanda = fell into; paasham = trap; mR^igaHiva = as a deer; aatmanaH = for his self; vinaashaaya = destruction.
Dasaratha, after having thus yielded in full measure to kaikeyi's words, fell into her trap as a deer, for his self destruction.
tataH paramuvaachedaM varadaM kaamamohitam |
varau yau me tvayaa deva tadaa dattau mahiipate || 2-11-23
tau taavadaha.ndyaiva vakshyaami shR^iNu me vachaH |
23. tataHparam = There afterwards; uvaacha = spoke; idam = these words; varadam = to Dasaratha who is ready to give boons; kaama mohitam = and who was infatuated by lust; deva = Oh; King! mahiipate = the lord of the Earth! adyaivataavat = Now only; vakshhyaami = Iam asking; tau = those; varau = boons; yau = which were; datton = given; tvayaa = by you; me = to me; tadaa = then; shR^iNu = Listen to; me vachaH = my words.
There-afterwards, Kaikeyi spoke these words to Dasaratha who was ready to give boons and who was infatuated by lust: "Oh, King! the lord of Earth, now only I am asking for those boons which were given by you then. Listen to my words".
abhishhekasamaarambhao raaghavasyopakalpitaH || 2-11-24
anenaivaabhishhe keNa bharato me.abhishhichyataam |
24. upakalpitaH = Arrangements have been made; raaghavasya abhishheka samaarambhaH = to undertake Rama's coronation; me bharataH abhi- shhichyataam = Let my Bharata coronated; anena = in this; abhishhekeNaiva = anointment ceremony itself.
"All arrangements have been made to undertake Rama's coronation. Let my Bharata instead be coronated on this occasion itself".
yo dvitiiyo varo deva dattaH priitena me tvayaa || 2-11-25
tadaa daivaasure yuddhe tasya kaalo.aya maagataH |
25. tasya = for it; ayam = this; kaalaH = time; aagataH = has come; yaH = for which; dvitiiya varaH = second boon; dattaH = is given; me = to me; priitenaa = affectionately; tvayaa = by you; taada = then; daivaasurayuddhe = in the battle between celestials and demons.
"Now, the time has arrived for the second boon given by you affectionately then in the battle between celestials and demons."
nava paJNcha cha varshhaaNi daNDakaaraNyamaashritaH || 2-11-26
chiiraajinajaTaadhaarii raamo bhavatu taapasaH |
26. raamaH = Rama; aashritaH = has to take refuge; daNdakaaranyam = in the forest of Dandaka; nava paJNcha cha varshhaNi = for fourteen years; bhavatu taapasaH = let him become ascetic; chiiraajiina jataadhaarii = wearing rags; deer skin and matted hair.
"Rama has to take refuge in the forest of Dandaka for fourteen years and let him become an ascetic wearing rags, deer skin and matted hair".
bharato bhajataamadya yauvaraajyamakaNTakam || 2-11-27
eshha me paramaH kaamo dattameva varaM vR^iNe |
adyachaiva hi pashyeyaM prayaantaM raaghavaM vanm || 2-11-28
27;28. adya = Now; bharataH = Bharata bhajataam = should get; yauvaraajyam = rights of succession to kingdom; ; akaNTakam = which is free of enemies.; eshhaH = This is; me = my ; paramaH = greatest; kaamaH = desire; vR^iNe = I am asking; dattam parameva = for boon given earlier; adyamaiva = Now itself; pashyeyam = let me see; raaghavam = Rama; prayaantam = going; vanam = to forest .
"Now itself, Bharata has to get rights of succession to kingdom, which is free of enemies. This is my greatest desire. Now I am asking for the boon given by you in earlier. "
sa raajaraajo bhava styasaMgaraH |
kulaM cha shiilaM cha hi raksha janma cha |
paratra vaase hi vadntyanuttamaM |
tapodhanaaH satyavacho hitaM nR^iNaam || 2-11-29
29. saH = you as that; raajaraajaH = king of kings; bhava = become; satya sangaraH = true to your promise; rakshhahi = protect; kulamcha = caste; shiilamcha = character; janmacha = and birth; tapodhanaaH = Ascetics; vadantihi = even told that; nR^ipaaNaam = for human beings; satyavachaH = speaking only truth; anuttamam hitam = is greatly benificial; vaase = while dwelling; paratra = in another world.
"Oh King of the Kings, Dasaratha ! Be true to your promise and protect your caste, character and birth. Are not the ascetics tell that for human beings to get happiness in another world, they have to speak only the truth."
- - -
|| iti vaalmiiki raamaayaNe aadi kaavye ayodhya kaaNDe 11th sargaH ||
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© 1999, K.M.K.Murthy