Rama reveals to Bharata that Kaikey's marriage, stating that Dasaratha would confer the kingdom as a marriage-dowry. Rama also adds that Kaikeyi also received the promise of two boons from Dasaratha as a token of his pleasure and gratitude for the help Kaikeyi rendered during the conflict long ago between gods and demons. Rama further informs Bharata that according to that promise, Kaikeyi asked for the two boons, one for Bharata's throne and another for his own exile to the forest. Rama requests Bharata to make Dasaratha's promises true and asks him to return to Ayodhya and assume its rulership.
punar evam bruvaaNam tu bharatam lakShmaNa agrajaH |
pratyuvaca tataH shriimaan jnaati madhye atisatkR^itaH || 2-107-1
1. tataH = thereafter; shriimaan = the illustrious; abhisatkR^itaH = pratyuvaacha = replied (as follows); bharatam = to Bharata; evam = who was thus; bruvaaNam = speaking; jJNaatimadhye = among their relatives.
Thereafter, the illustrious Rama, highly respected among his fraternity, (as follows) to Bharata who was speaking as aforesaid among his relatives.
upapannam idam vaakyam yat tvam evam abhaaShathaaH |
jaataH putro dasharathaat kaikeyyaam raaja sattamaat || 2-107-2
2. idam = these; vaakyam = words; yat = which; abhyabhaaSathaaH = were spoken; evam = thus; tvam = by you; jaataH = born; putraH = as a son; kaikeyyaam = in Kaikeyi; dasharathaat = through Dasartha; raajasattamaat = the excellent king; upapannam = are suited for the occasion.
"These words, which you have spoken are worthy of you, the son of Dasaratha the excellent king, born through Kaikeyi."
puraa bhraataH pitaa naH sa maataram te samudvahan |
maataamahe samaashrauShiid raajya shulkam anuttamam || 2-107-3
3. bhraataH = O; My brother!; puraa = long ago; samudvahan = while marrying; te maataram = your mother; saH = that; naH pitaa = our father; samaashrouSiit = promised; anuttamam = an exceptional; raajyashulkam = marriage dowry in the form of our kingdom; maataamahe = to you maternal grandfather.
"O, My brother! Long ago, when our father married your mother, he promised your maternal grandfather that he would confer his kingdom as an exceptional marriage-dowry"
deva asure ca samgraame jananyai tava paarthivaH |
samprahR^iShTo dadau raajaa varam aaraadhitaH prabhuH || 2-107-4
4. prabhuH = the efficient; paarthivaH = lord of the earth; raajaa = King Dasaratha; dadau = bestowed; varamcha = a boon; tava jananyai = to your mother; samprahR^iSTaH = he having been overjoyed; aaraadhitaH = by your mother's service; samgraame = in a conflict; daivaasure = between Gods and demons.
"Thereafter, in a conflict between Gods and demons, your mother received the promise of two boons from the efficient lord of the earth, King Dasartha, as a token of his joy and gratitude."
tataH saa sampratishraavya tava maataa yashasvinii |
ayaacata nara shreShTham dvau varau vara varNinii || 2-107-5
tava raajyam nara vyaaghra mama pravraajanam tathaa |
tac ca raajaa tathaa tasyai niyuktaH pradadau varau || 2-107-6
5; 6. naravyaaghraH = O; Tiger among men!; tataH = then; tava maataa = your mother; yashasvinii = the illustrious woman; vara varNinii = with a beautiful complexion; sampratishraavya = having been made a promise; narashreSTam = by Dasaratha the chief of men; ayaachata = asked; dvau = two; varau = boons; raajyam = (one for giving) kingdom; tava = to you; tathaa = and; pravraajanam = (the other) the exile; mama = for me; tadaa = then; niyuktaH = the enjoined; raajaacha = king also; pradadau = gave; tau varau = those boons.
"O, Tiger among men! Your illustrious mother of beautiful complexion consequently demanded these two boons from that cheif of men, for you the throne and for me the exile to the forest."
tena pitraa aham apy atra niyuktaH puruSha R^iShabha |
caturdasha vane vaasam varShaaNi varadaanikam || 2-107-7
7. puruSarSabha = O; excellent among men!; ahamapi = I too; niyuktaH = have been enjoined; tena pitraa = by our aforesaid father; vaasam = to live; atra = in this; vane = forest; chaturdasha vaSaaNi = for fourteen years; varadaanikam = in accord with the granting of boon.
"O, excellent among men! I too, have been enjoined by our aforesaid father to live here in the forest for fourteen years, in accord iwth granting of boon."
so aham vanam idam praapto nirjanam lakShmaNa anvitaH |
shiitayaa ca apratidvandvaH satya vaade sthitaH pituH || 2-107-8
8. saH aham = I as such; apratidvandvaH = without any rival; idam = nirjanam = to this lonely; vanam = forest; lakSmaNaanvitaH = accompanied by Lakshmana; siitayaa cha = and Seeta; sthitaH = standing firm; satya vaade = with the promise gien; pituH = by our father.
"I as such, without any rival, have come to this lonely forest accompanied by Lakshmana and Seetha in order to carry out the promise given by our father."
bhavaan api tathaa ity eva pitaram satya vaadinam |
kartum arhati raaja indram kShipram eva abhiShecanaat || 2-107-9
9. bhavaanapi = you too; arhati = ought; tathetyeva = likewise; kartum = to make; pitaram = our father; satyavaadinam = as a person having given a true promise; raajendra = O; Indra the Lord of celestials among Kings!; abhiSechanaat = by getting anointed to the crown; kSiprameva = without delay.
"You too ought, likewise, to make our father, as a person having given a true promise, O Indra (the Lord of Celestials) among kings, by getting yourself anointed to the crown without any delay.
R^iNaan mocaya raajaanam mat kR^ite bharata prabhum |
pitaram traahi dharmajna maataram ca abhinandaya || 2-107-10
10. bharata = O; Bharata; matkR^ite = for my sake; mochaya = relive; prabhum = the mighty; raajaanam = king; R^iNaat = from the debt; abhinandaya pitaram chappi maataram cha = make our father and happy mother.
"O, Bharata! For my sake relieve the mighty king from his vow and make both our mother and fahter happy."
shruuyate hi puraa taata shrutir giitaa yashasvinii |
gayena yajamaanena gayeShu eva pitR^iR^in prati || 2-107-11
11. taata = my dear brother!; puraa = formerly; yashasvinaa = by an illustrious king; gayena = named Gaya; yajamaanena = while performing a sacrifice; gayeSvena = in a place called Gaya; pitR^iin prati = in honour of his ancestors; shrutiH = a verse; giitaa = was changed; shruuyate hi = and indeed heard (as follows)
"My dear brother! Formerly, an illustrious king named Gaya, while perfoming a sacrifice in a place called Gaya in honour of his ancestors, chanted the following verse:
pum naamnaa narakaad yasmaat pitaram traayate sutaH |
tasmaat putra iti proktaH pitR^iR^in yat paati vaa sutaH || 2-107-12
12. yasmaat = since; sutaH = a son; traayate = delivers; pitaram = his father; narakaat = from a place of torment; punnaamaH = called 'Put'; tasmaat = for that reason; protaH = (he) is named; pitra iti = as "Putra"; yaH = he who; paati = delivers; pitR^iin = his ancestors; sarvataH = from all (dangers).
"Since a son delivers his father from a place of torment (hell) called 'Put', he is named as 'Putra'- 'he who delivers his ancestors from all dangers'"
eShTavyaa bahavaH putraa guNavanto bahu shrutaaH |
teShaam vai samavetaanaam api kashcid gayaam vrajet || 2-107-13
13. bahavaH = many; yuNavantaH = viruous; bahushrutaaH = and very learned; putraH = sons; eSTavyaaH = are to be desired; teSaam = In them; kashchidapi = at lease one; samavetaanaam = who is intimately related; vrajet = may go; gayaam = to Gaya (to perform a sacrifice)
"To have many virtuous and learned sons is to be desired, since one, atleast among them, who is intimately connected will ocme to Gaya to perform a sacrifice."
evam raaja R^iShayaH sarve pratiitaa raaja nandana |
tasmaat traahi nara shreShTha pitaram narakaat prabho || 2-107-14
14. raaja nandan = O; Prince!; sarve = all; raajarSayaH = the royal sages; pratiitaaH = the royal sages; pratiitaaH = are convinced; evam = in this narashreSTa = and the excellent among men!; tasmaat = for that reason; traahi = save; pitaram = our father; narakaat = from hell.
"O, prince! This is the conviction of all the royal sages. O, the efficient and the excellent of men! Therefore, save our father from hell.
ayodhyaam gagcchha bharata prakR^itiir anuranjaya |
shatrughna sahito viira saha sarvair dvijaatibhiH || 2-107-15
15. viiraH = O; the valiant; bharataH = Bharata!; gachchha = go; ayodhyaam = to Ayodhya; shatrughna sahitaH = along with Shatrughna; sarvaiH = and all; dvijaatibhiH saha = the brahmanas; anuraNjaya = and give joy; prakR^itiiH = the people.
"O, the valiant Bharata! Go to Ayodhya along with Shatrughna and all the Brahmanas and give joy to the people there."
pravekShye daNDaka araNyam aham apy avilambayan |
aabhyaam tu sahito raajan vaidehyaa lakShmaNena ca || 2-107-16
16. raajan = O; King!; ahamapi = I too; avilambayan = without delay; pravekSe = shall enter; daNDakaaraNyam = the forest of Dandaka; sahitaH = along with; abhyaam = this; vaidehyaa = Seetha; lakSmaNena = and Lakshmana.
"O, King! I too, without delay, will proceed to Dandaka forest along with Seetha and Lakshaman."
tvam raajaa bhava bharata svayam naraaNaam |
vanyaanaam aham api raaja raaN mR^igaaNaam |
gagcchha tvam pura varam adya samprahR^iShTaH |
samhR^iShTaH tu aham api daNDakaan pravekShye || 2-107-17
17. bharata = O; Bharata!; tvam = you; svayam = yourself; bhava = become; raajaa = the Lord; naraaNaam = of men; ahamapi = I too; raajaraaT = (will become) the great Lord; mR^igaaNaam = of the wild beasts; vanyaanaam = in this forest; tvam = you; gachchha = proceed; puravaram = to the excellent city of Ayodhya; adya = now; samprahR^iSTaH = with joy; ahampai = I also; pravekSye = shall enter; daN^Dakaan; Dandaka forest; sampraR^iSTaH = with joy.
"O, Bharata! You become the Lord of men. I will become the emperor of the wild beasts of the forest! Return now to the excellent city of Ayodhya full of joy and I also full of joy will enter Dankada Forest!"
chaayaam te dina kara bhaaH prabaadhamaanam |
varShatram bharata karotu muurdhni shiitaam |
eteShaam aham api kaanana drumaaNaam |
chaayaam taam atishayiniim sukham shrayiShye || 2-107-18
18. bharata = O; Bharata!; varSatram = (Let) the umbrella; karotu = make; shiitaam = a coo; chhaayaam = shadow; te muurdhni = for your head; prabaadhamaanam = which is affected; dinakarabhaaH = by sunlight; ahamapi = I too; sukhii = comfortably; shrayiSye = shall take; shelter; taam = under that; atishayaniim = abundant; chhaayaam = shadow; kaanana drumaaNaam = of forest-trees.
"O, Bharata! Let the (royal) white umbrella provide a cool shadow for your head, repulsing the rays of sunlight. I will take shelter comoftably under the abundant shadow of these forest-trees."
shatrughnaH kushala matiH tu te sahaayaH |
saumitrir mama viditaH pradhaana mitram |
catvaaraH tanaya varaa vayam nara indram |
satyastham bharata caraama maa viShaadam || 2-107-19
19. bharata = O; Bharata!; kushalamatiH = the intelligent; shatrughnaH = Shatrughna; sahaayaH = is helpful; te = to you; saumitriH = Lakshmana; viditaH = is known; pradhaana mitram = to be a cheif companion; mama = for me; vayam = we ; chatvaaraH = the four; tanayavaraaH = excellent sons; charaama = will make; narendram = the king; satyastham = true to his promise; maa viSiida = do not grieve.
"O, Bharata! The wise Shatrughna is helpful to you. Lakshmana is known to be an outstanding friend for me. We, the four excellent sons, will ultimately make the king true to his promise. Do not get disappointed."
- - -
ityaarShe shriimadraamaayaNe aadikaavye ayodhyaakaaNDe saptottarashatatamaH sargaH
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© August 2005, K. M. K. Murthy
Further info on
Fastest FTPS and FTPS anywhere, FREE Go FTP Software