In this chapter, Kaikeyi enters the house of wrath. Dasaratha tries to pacify her anger.
विदर्शिता यदा देवी कुब्जया पापया भृशम् |
तदा शेते स्म सा भूमौ दिग्धविद्धेव किन्नरी || २-१०-१
1. yadaa = when; vidarshitaa = being wrongly preached; kubjayaa = by the hunch backed manthara; bhR^isham paapayaa = who was the most sinful person; tadaa = then; saa devii = that kaikeyi; shetesma = lied down; bhumau = on floor; kinnariiva = like a kinnara woman; digdhaviddhaa = beaten by poisoned arrow.
Having been thus wrongly preached by that sinful Manthara. Kaikeyi lied down on the floor as a Kinnara woman beaten by a poisoned arrow.
निश्चित्य मनसा कृत्यम् सा सम्यगिति भामिनी |
मन्थरायै श्नः सर्वमाच्चक्षे विचक्षणा || २-१०-२
2. saa bhaaminii = that lady; vichakshhaNaa = skilful; nishchitya = after deciding; samyak = well; manasaa = in mind; iti = thus; kR^ityam = what ought to be done; aachachakshae = said; sarvam = all; mantharaayai = to Manthara; shanaiH = slowly.
The skilful Kaikeyi, after deciding in mind what ought to be done told it all slowly to Manthara.
सा दीना निश्चयं कृत्वा मन्थरावाक्यमोहिता |
नागकन्येव निःस्वस्य दीर्घमुष्णं च भामिनी || २-१०-३
मुहूर्तं चिन्तयामास मार्गमात्मसुखावहम् |
3. mantharaavaakyamohitaa = stupefied by the words of Manthara; saa bhaaminii = that Kaikeyi; diina = became dejected; nishchayam kR^itvaa = made firm resolution; niHshvasya = sighed; diirgham = deeply; ushhNamcha = and warmly; naagakanyeva = like maiden-serpant; chintayaamaasa = thought; muhuurtam = for a moment; maargam = about the way; aatmasukhaavaham = which can lead to her happiness.
Being stupefied by the words of Manthara, that Kaikeyi became dejected, made firm resolve, with deep and warm sigh, like a maiden-serpent and thought for that moment about the ways which can lead to her happiness.
सा सुहृच्चार्थकामा च तं निशम्य सुनिश्चयम् || २-१०-४
बभूव परमप्रीता सिद्धिं प्राप्येव मन्थरा |
4.saa mantharaa = that Manthara; suhR^ichcha = who is desirous of getting benefit; nishamya = heard; tam sunishchayam = of that firm resolution; babhuuva = became; paramapriitaa = very much pleased; prapyeva = as if achieved; siddhim = success.
Manthara, who is Kaikeyi's companion and who is desirous of getting benefit, heard of Kaikeyi's firm resolve and became very much pleased as if she achieved success.
अथ सा रुषिता देवी सम्यक्कृत्वा विनिश्चयम् || २-१०-५
संविवेशाबला भूमौ निवेश्य भृकुटिं मुखे |
5. atha = afterwards; saa abala = that lady; devii = the queen; rushhitaa = being angry; samyak = well; kR^itvaa = made; vinishchayam = determination; savivesha = lied down; bhuumau = on floor; niveshya = keeping; bhrukutim = eyebrows contracted; mukhe = in face.
Kaikeyi, being angry and well determined, lied down on the floor with eye brows, knitted in her face.
ततश्चित्राणि माल्यानि दिव्यान्याभरणानि च || २-१०-६
अपविद्धानि कैकेय्या तानि भूमिं प्रपेदिरे |
6.tataH = thereafter; taani = those; chitraaNi = chaplets; divyaani = beautiful; aabharaNaani = ornaments; apaviddhaam = which were thrown away; kaikeyyaa = by Kaikeyi; prapedire = reached; bhuumim = the floor.
Thereafter, she threw away her colourful chaplets and beautiful ornaments on to the floor.
तया तान्यपविद्धानि माल्यान्याभरणानि च || २-१०-७
अशोभयन्त वसुधां नक्षत्राणि यथा नभः |
7. taani = those; maalyaani = chaplets; aabharaaNicha = and ornaments; apaviddhaani = which were thrown away; tayaa = by her; ashobhayanta vasudhaam = were making the earth shine; yathaa = as; nakshhatraaNi = stars; babhaH = in the sky.
Those chaplets and ornaments which were thrown away by her were making the earth shine, as stars to the sky.
क्रोधागारे निपतिता सा बभौ मलिनाम्बरा || २-१०-८
एकवेणीं दृढं बद्ध्वा गतसत्त्वेव किन्नरी |
8. baddhvaa = tying; ekaveNiim = single braid of; dR^iDham = tightly; malinaambaraa = wearing soiled clothes; saa = that Kaikeyi; nipatitaa = lying down; krodhaare = in chamber of wrath; babhau = shone(was); kinnarii eva = like kinnara woman.
Tying her single braid of hair tightly over her head and wearing soiled clothes, that Kaikeyi lying down in the chamber of wrath was looking like a Kinnara woman lying down dead.
आज्ञाप्य तु महाराजो राघवस्याभिषेचन्म् || २-१०-९
उपस्थासमनुज्ञाप्य प्रविवेश निवेशन्म् |
9. mahaaraajaH tu = but king Dasaratha; aajJNaapya = ordered for; raaghavasya = Rama's; abhishechanam = coronation; anujJNaapya = took permission; upasthaanam = from the nearest; pravivesha = entered; nivehsanam = the palace.
King Dasaratha ordered for various arrangements to be made for Rama's coronation, took permission to leave from the elders who were present there and entered his palace.
अद्य रामाभिषेको वै प्रसिद्ध इति जज्ञिवान् || २-१०-१०
प्रियार्हं प्रियमाख्यातुं विवेशान्तःपुरं वशी |
10. vashii = Dasaratha who kept all activities under his control; vivesha = entered into; antaH puram = inner chambers; aakhyaatum = to tell; priyam = the good news; priyaarham = to Kaikeyi who was a worthy woman to be told good news.
king Dasaratha, who kept all activates under his control entered into the inner chambers to tell the good news of Rama's coronation to Kaikeyi who was a worthy woman to be told the good news first (thinking that she has not yet heard the news).
स कैकेय्या गृहं श्रेष्ठं प्रविवेश महायशाः || २-१०-११
पाण्डुराभ्रमिवाकाशं राहुयुक्तं निशाकरः |
11. saH = that Dasaratha; mahaayashaaH = with great glory; pravivesha = entered; shreshhTam = most excellent; kaikeyyaagR^iham = Kaikeyi's house; nishaakaraH aakaashamiva = as the moon into sky; paaNDuraabhram = with white clouds; raahuyuktam = containing Rahu; the demon.
That Dasaratha with vast glory entered Kaikeyi's chambers as moon enters the sky with white clouds.
शुकबर्हिणसंयुक्तं क्रौञ्चहंसरुतायुतम् || २-१०-१२
वादित्ररवसंघुष्टं कुब्जावामनिकायुतम् |
लतागृहैश्चित्रगृहैश्चम्पकाशोकशोभितैः || २-१०-१३
दान्तराजत सौवर्णवेदिकाभिस्समायुतम् |
नित्यपुष्पफलैर्वृक्षैर्वापीभिश्चोपशोभितम् || २-१०-१४
दान्तराजतसौवर्णैः संवृतं परमासनैः |
विविध्यैरन्नपानैश्छ भक्ष्यैश्चवि विधैरपि || २-१०-१५
उपपन्नं महार्हैश्च भूषितैस्त्रिदिवोपमम् |
तत्प्रविश्य महाराजः स्वमन्तःपुरमृद्धिमत् || २-१०-१६
न ददर्श प्रियां राजा कैकेयीं शयनोत्तमे |
12;13;14;15;16. mahaaraajaH = the great king; raajaa = Dasaratha; pravishya = entering; tat = that; svam = his; Riddhimat = magnificient; antaH puram = palace;shukabarahiNa samyuktam = containing parrots and peacocks; krauncha hamsa rutaayutam = filled with sounds of birds like curlews and swans; vaaditraravasanghushhtam = resonant with sounds of musical instruments; kubjaa vaamanikaayutam = consisting of short and hunch backed maid servants; champakaashoka shobhitai = with lovely champaka and ashoka trees; lataagR^ihaiH = with bowers surrounded by creapers; chitragR^ihaiH cha = with painted rooms; daantaraajata souvarNa; vedikaabhiH = with altars built with ivory; silver and gold;samaayutam = endowed with vsikshhaiH = trees; nitya pushhpa phalaiH = always yielding flowers and fruits; vaapiibhiH cha = and with wells; upashobhitam = adorned with paramaasanaiH = beautiful seats; daantaraajata sauvarNaiH = of ivory; silver and gold; upashobhitam = adorned with vividhaiH = various; aunapaanaiH cha = foods and drinks; vividhaiH = various; bhakshhaiH cha = snacks; upapannam = endowed with; bhuushhitaiH = beautifully adorned; mahaarhaiH = worthy women; tridivopamam = looking like heaven; nadadarsha = could not find; priyam = beloved; kaikeyiim = Kaikeyi; shayauottame = on the best couch.
King Dasaratha entered his magnificent palace but could not find his beloved kaikeyi on her best couch there. Peacocks and parrots were being reared in that palace, sounds of birds like curlews, and swans were heard around. The place was resonant with sounds of musical instruments. Short and hunch-backed maid-servants were moving here and there. There were bowers surrounded with creepers and lovely champaka and Ashoka trees. There were painted rooms. There were altars built with ivory, silver and gold. There were trees yielding flowers and fruits in all seasons and wells in the middle. There were beautiful seats constructed with ivory, silver and gold. Various types of food, drinks and snacks were made available. That palace was looking like heaven with beautifully adorned women.
स कामबलसंयुक्तो रत्यर्थं मनुजाधिपः || २-१०-१७
अपश्यन् दयितां भार्यां पप्रच्छ विषसाद च |
17. kaamabalasamyuktaH = being possessed of power of lust; saH = that ; manujaadhipaH = king; ratyartham = with object of sexual pleasure; vishhasaada = was distress; apashyam = in not seeing; dayitaam = beloved; bhaaryaam = wife; paprachachha = and asked also.
Being possessed of power of lust, that king who came with object of sexual pleasure, was distressed in not finding his beloved wife and enquired the people there.
न ही तस्य पुरा देवी तां वेळामत्यवर्तत || २-१०-१८
न च राजा गृहं शून्यं प्रविवेश कदाचन |
18. puraa = in former times; devii = queen Kaikeyi; na atyavartatahi = did not transgress; tasya taam veLaam = such of his time; raajaa = the king; na pravivesha cha = did not enter also; shuunyam = empty; gR^iham = house; kadaachana = at any time.
In former times, Kaikeyi did not keep away herself at that kind of hour, nor the king enter her chambers at any time without her presence.
ततो गृहगतो राजा कैकेयीं पर्यपृच्छत || २-१०-१९
यथापुरमविज्ञाय स्वार्थलिप्सुमपण्डिताम् |
19. tataH = thereafter; raajaa = the king; gR^ihagataH = who entered the house; paryapR^ichchata = enquired; yathaa puram = as before; avijJNaayakaikeyiim apaNDitaam = about without kuching foolish Kaikeyi; swaartha lipsum = who desired to get her selfish ends.
After entering the house, king Dasaratha enquired with the aid-servants there as before, without knowing about foolish Kaikeyi who desired to get her selfish ends.
प्रतीहारी त्वथोवाच संत्रस्ता तु क्ऱ्^ताञ्जलिः || २-१०-२०
देव देवी भृशं कृद्धा क्रोधागारमभिद्रुता |
20. atta = then; santrastaa = fearful; pratiihaarii = female door keeper; kR^itaaJNjaliH = folding hands in supplication; uvaacha = said; deva = "Oh; king!; devii = the queen; abhidrutaa = ran; krodhaagaaram = to chamber of wrath; bR^isham kruddhaa = after becoming too much angry".
Then, a female door-keeper fearfully folding her hands in supplication, said: "Oh, king! The queen ran to her chamber of wrath with much anger".
प्रतीहार्या वचः श्रुत्वा राजा परमदुर्मनाः || २-१०-२१
विषसाद पुनर्भुयो लुलितव्याकुलेन्ध्रियः |
21. raaja = the king; paramadurmanaaH = having much disturbed mind; lulitavyaakulendriyaH = with wavering and agitated senses; punaH = again; vishhasaada = was dejected; bhuuyaH = more; shrutvaa = after hearing; pratiihaaryaaH = door keeper's; vachaH = words.
That Dasaratha having much disturbed mind already for the absence of Kaikeyi there, became more dejected after hearing the words of door-keeper.
तत्रतां पतितां भूमौ शयानामतथोचिताम् || २-१०-२२
प्रतप्त इव दुःखेन सोऽपश्यज्जगतीपतिः |
22. jagatiipatiH = Lord of the earth; saH = that Dasaratha; apashyat = saw; taam = her; patitaam = lying down; bhuumau = on floor; tatra = there; shayaanaam = sleeping; atathochitaam = in such and improper condition; praptaH eva = like burning; duHkhena = with grief.
King Dasaratha, after seeing Kaikeyi lying down on floor in the chamber of wrath, became tormented with grief.
स वृद्धस्तरुणीं भार्यां प्राणेभ्योऽपि गरीयसीम् || २-१०-२३
अपापः पापसङ्कल्पां ददर्श धरणीतले |
लतामिव विनिष्कृत्तां पतितां देव तामिव || २-१०-२४
किन्नरीमिव निर्धूतां च्युतामप्सरसं यथा |
मायामिव परिभ्रष्टां हरिणीमिव संयताम् || २-१०-२५
23;24;25. vR^iddhaH = the aged; apaapaH = sinless; saH = Dasaratha; dadarsha = saw; bhaaryaam = wife; taruNiim = a youthful woman; gariiyasiim = greater; praaNebhyao api = than life; paapasankalpaam = with a desire to do sin; lataamiva = like creeper; vinishhkR^ittaam = completely uprooted; devataamiva = like angel; patitaam = fallen; kinnariimiva = like Kinnara woman; nirdhuutaam = thrown down; apsarasam yathaa = like Apsarasa; chytaam = expelled; mayaamiva = like illusionism; paribhrashhTaam = dropped off; hariNiimiva = like female deer; samyataam = tied up.
That Dasaratha, who was sinless, a youthful woman dearer than his life, lying down on the floor with an intent to do sin. At that time, she was looking like a completely uprooted creeper, like a fallen angel, like a thrown down Kinnara woman, like an expelled divine dancer Apsarasa, like a dropped off illusionism and like a female deer tied up in a net.
क्रेणुमिव दिग्धेन विद्धां मृगयुना वने |
महागज इन्वारण्ये स्नेहात्परिममर्श ताम् || २-१०-२६
26. mahaagajaH iva = like great elephant; araNye = in a forest; kareNumiva = a female elephant; viddhaam = wounded; dighena = by poisoned arrow; vane = in the grove; parimarsha = (he) touched; taam = her; snehaat = affectionately.
That Dasaratha touched Kaikeyi affectionately, as a great elephant in a forest touches a female elephant which is wounded by poisoned arrow.
परिमृश्य च पाणिभ्यामभिसंत्रस्तचेतनः |
कामी कमलपत्राक्षीमुवाच वनितामिदम् || २-१०-२७
27. kaamii = possessed with infatuation; abhisantrasta chetanaH = having fearful mind; parimR^ishya = touched; kamala patraakshhiim = lotus-eyed; vanitaam = woman; paaNibhyaam = with hands; uvaacha = spoke; idam = these words.
That Dasaratha, possessed with infatuation and having fearful mind, touched that lotus-eyed woman with his hands and spoke the following words.
न तेऽहमभिजानामि क्रोधमात्मनि संश्रितम् |
देवि केनाभिशप्तासि केन वासि विमानिता || २-१०-२८
यदिदं ममम् दुःखाय शेशे क्ल्याणि पांसुषु |
28. devii = "Oh queen; kalyaaNi = of auspicious qualities! aham = I; na abhijaanaami = do not know; te = your; krodham = anger; samshR^itam = in habited; aatmani = in me; kena = by whom; abhishaptaa asi = you are cursed; kenavaa = or by whom; vimaanitaa asi = you are insulted; idam mama duHkhaayaa = this has become cause for my pain; yat seshhe = that you are resting; paamsushhu = on dirty floor."
"Oh queen, of auspicious qualities! I do not know that you are angry with me. Who has cursed or disrespected you? I am pained to see you resting in this way on a dirty floor."
भूमौ शेषे किमर्थं त्वं मयि कल्याणचेतसि |
भूतोपहतचित्तेव मम चित्तप्रमाथिनी || २-१०-२९
29. mayi kalyaana chetasi = when I have a good sense of mind; kimartham = why; tvam = you; mama chiHa pramaathinii = hurt my mind; seshhe = by resting; bhuumau = on floor; bhuutopahata chitteva = like one who is possessed of a devil.
"when I am here to expend all good to you, why are you hurting my mind by lying down on the floor like the one who is possessed of a devil."
सन्ति मे कुशला वैद्यास्त्वभितुष्टाश्च सर्वशः |
सुखितां त्वां करिष्यन्ति व्याधिमाचक्ष्व भामिनि || २-१०-३०
30. bhaamini = Oh; Kaikeyi! me = my; vaidyaaH = physicians; santi = are there; kushalaaH = who are skilled; saravashaH abhishhTutaaH cha = and who are enlogised on all sides; karishhyanti = who can made; tvaam = you; sukshitaam = healthy; achakshhva = tell; vyaadhim = the sickness.
"There are so many royal physicians who are skilled and famous on all sides. They can make you healthy. Tell me your sickness".
कस्य वा ते प्रियं कार्यं केन वा विप्रियं कृतम् |
कः प्रियं लभतामद्य को वा सुमहदप्रियम् || २-१०-३१
31. kasyavaa = to whom; priyam = favour; kaaryam = ought to be done; te = by you? kena vaa = by whom; vipriyam = offence; kR^itam = was done? katt = who; labhataam = has to get; priyam = favour; adya = now? kovaa = who; sumahat = great; apriyam = offence?'
"To whom do you want a favour to be done? who has offended you? Tell me to whom I have to extend a favour now and to whom I have to do a great offensive act."
मा रोदीर्मा च कार्षिस्त्वं देवि संपरिशोषणम् || २-१०-३२
अवध्यो वध्यतां को वा को वा वध्यो विमुच्यताम् |
दरिद्रः को भवेदाढ्यो द्रव्यवान्वाप्यकिञ्चनः || २-१०-३३
32;33. devi = " oh; queen! tvam = you; maa rodiiH = do not weep; maa cha kaarshhiiH = nor make ; samparishoshhaNam = body dry up; kovaa = who; avadhyaH = exempt from death; vadhyataam = is to be killed?; kovaa = who; vadhyaH = worthy of killing; vimuchyataam = is to be released? kovaa = who; daridraH = a poor person; bhavet = to become; aadhyaH = wealthy? dravyavaanvaapi = or a rich man; akiN^ichanaH = destitute.
"Oh, Kaikeyi! Do not weep and get your body dried up. If you tell, I shall kill a person who is exempt from death or shall release a person who is worthy to be killed. I shall make a poor man prosperous or a rich man, destitute".
अहं चैव मदीयाश्च सर्वे तव वशानुगाः |
न ते किंचिदभिप्रायं व्याहन्तुमहमुत्सहे || २-१०-३४
34. ahamchaiva = I and; sarvexha = all; madiiyaaH = my people; tava vashaamgaaH = are submissive to you; aham = I; na utsahe = do not try; vyaahantum = to foil; kiN^chit = even a little of; te = your; abhipraayam = intention.
"I and all my people are submissive to you. I do not wish to foil even a little of your intention".
आत्मनो जीवितेनापि ब्रुहि यन्मनसेच्छसि |
बलमात्मनि जानन्ती न मां शङ्कितुमर्हसि || २-१०-३५
करिष्यामि तव प्रीतिं सुकृतेनापि ते शपे |
35. bruuhi = tell; yat = that which; ichhasi = you desire; manasaa = from mind; jiivitenaapi = even by life; na arhasi shaN^kitum = to suspect; maam = me; jaanantii = as you knew; balam = your strength; aatmani = over me; shape = I keep my oath; sikR^itenaapi = even by righteousness; te = to you; karishhye = I shall do; tava = your; riitim = liking.
"Tell me that which is desired by your mind to be achieved even at the cost of my life. You need not suspect me, as you very well know your authority over me. I keep my oath on my righteousness that I shall certainly do whatever is liked by you".
यावदावर्त ते चक्रं तावती मे वसुन्धरा || २-१०-३६
प्राचीनाः सिन्धुसौवीराः सौराष्ट्रा दक्षिणापथाः |
वङ्गाङ्गमगधा मत्स्याः समृद्धाः काशिकोसलाः || २-१०-३७
36;37. me vasundharaa = my earth; yaavat taavati = is as long as; chakram = chariout-wheel; aavartate = revolves; prachiinaaH = eastern countries; sindhu sauviiraaH = Sindhu; Sauviva countries; sauraashhtraaH = Saurastra; dakshhiNaapathaaH = sounthern countries; vaN^gaaN^ga magadhaaH = Vanga; Anga and Magadha countries; matsyaaH = the country of Matsya; kaashi kausalaaH = kasi and Kausala countries; samR^iddhaaH = are all affluent.
My jurisdiction over this earth stretches out as much to the extent as to the extent a chariot-wheel revolves. Eastern countries, Sindhu, Sauviira and Saurastra countries, as well as countries in the south, Vanga, Anga, Magadha and Matsya countries, Kasi and Kausala countries are all full of riches.
तत्र जातं बहुद्रव्यं धनधान्य मजाविकम् |
ततो वृणीष्व कैकेयि यद्यत्त्वं मनसेच्छसि || २-१०-३८
38. tatra = there; dhana dhaanyam = gold and grain; ajaavikam = sheep and goats; bahu = various; dravyam = goods; jaatam = are produced; kaikeyi = Oh; Kaikeyi; yadyat = which; tataH = fo those; ichhasi = do you want; VR^iNiishhva = to acquire; manasaa = from the mind.
In those countries, gold and grain, sheep and goats and all types of goods are produced. Oh, Kaikeyi! which of the goods do you want to acquire?
किमायासेन ते भीरु उत्तिष्टोत्तिष्ट शोभने |
तत्वं मे ब्रूहि कैकेयि यतस्ते भयमागतम् || २-१०-३९
तत्ते व्यपनयिष्यामि नीहरमिव र्श्मिवान् |
39. biiru = "oh; fearful one! kim = what use; aayaasena = by exertion; te = to you; shobhane = oh; beautiful woman! uttishhTha; uttishhTha = get up; get up! kaikeyi = Oh; Kaikeyi! bruuhi = tell; me = me; tat = that; yataH = from where; bhayam = fear; aagatam = came; te = to you; vyapena yisshhyaami = I shall remove; te = your; tat = that source of fear; niihaaramiva = as mist; rashmivaan = by sund.
"Oh, fearful one! why are you exerted like this? oh, beautiful lady? Get up get up! Oh, Kaikeyi1 Tell me the source of your fear. I shall remove that source as sun sets aside the mist."
तथोक्ता सा समास्वस्ता वक्तुकामा तदप्रियम् || २-१०-४०
परिपीडयितुं भूयो भर्तारमुपचक्रमे |
40. samaashvastaa = consoled by; tathaa uktaa = thus spoken words; saa = she; vaktukaamaa = intending to; tat apriyam = that unkindly word; upachakrame = was begining; paripiidayitum = harass; bharataaram = husband; bhuuyaH = further.
Consoled by hearing the words of Dasaratha, Kaikeyi intending to tell unkindly words like Rama's exile was beginning to harass her husband further, by her words.
- - -
|| इत्यार्षे स्रिमद्रामायणे अद्दिकाव्ये अयोध्य काण्दे दशम सर्गः ||
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© 1999, K. M. K. Murthy
World Wide view of
verse and locator
Secure FTPS on the planet Go FTP FREE Client