In this chapter, Kaikeyi enters the house of wrath. Dasaratha tries to pacify her anger.
vidarśitā yadā devī kubjayā pāpayā bhṛśam |
tadā śete sma sā bhūmau digdhaviddheva kinnarī || 2-10-1
1. yadaa = when; vidarshitaa = being wrongly preached; kubjayaa = by the hunch backed manthara; bhR^isham paapayaa = who was the most sinful person; tadaa = then; saa devii = that kaikeyi; shetesma = lied down; bhumau = on floor; kinnariiva = like a kinnara woman; digdhaviddhaa = beaten by poisoned arrow.
Having been thus wrongly preached by that sinful Manthara. Kaikeyi lied down on the floor as a Kinnara woman beaten by a poisoned arrow.
niścitya manasā kṛtyam sā samyagiti bhāminī |
mantharāyai śnaḥ sarvamāccakṣe vicakṣaṇā || 2-10-2
2. saa bhaaminii = that lady; vichakshhaNaa = skilful; nishchitya = after deciding; samyak = well; manasaa = in mind; iti = thus; kR^ityam = what ought to be done; aachachakshae = said; sarvam = all; mantharaayai = to Manthara; shanaiH = slowly.
The skilful Kaikeyi, after deciding in mind what ought to be done told it all slowly to Manthara.
sā dīnā niścayaṃ kṛtvā mantharāvākyamohitā |
nāgakanyeva niḥsvasya dīrghamuṣṇaṃ ca bhāminī || 2-10-3
muhūrtaṃ cintayāmāsa mārgamātmasukhāvaham |
3. mantharaavaakyamohitaa = stupefied by the words of Manthara; saa bhaaminii = that Kaikeyi; diina = became dejected; nishchayam kR^itvaa = made firm resolution; niHshvasya = sighed; diirgham = deeply; ushhNamcha = and warmly; naagakanyeva = like maiden-serpant; chintayaamaasa = thought; muhuurtam = for a moment; maargam = about the way; aatmasukhaavaham = which can lead to her happiness.
Being stupefied by the words of Manthara, that Kaikeyi became dejected, made firm resolve, with deep and warm sigh, like a maiden-serpent and thought for that moment about the ways which can lead to her happiness.
sā suhṛccārthakāmā ca taṃ niśamya suniścayam || 2-10-4
babhūva paramaprītā siddhiṃ prāpyeva mantharā |
4.saa mantharaa = that Manthara; suhR^ichcha = who is desirous of getting benefit; nishamya = heard; tam sunishchayam = of that firm resolution; babhuuva = became; paramapriitaa = very much pleased; prapyeva = as if achieved; siddhim = success.
Manthara, who is Kaikeyi's companion and who is desirous of getting benefit, heard of Kaikeyi's firm resolve and became very much pleased as if she achieved success.
atha sā ruṣitā devī samyakkṛtvā viniścayam || 2-10-5
saṃviveśābalā bhūmau niveśya bhṛkuṭiṃ mukhe |
5. atha = afterwards; saa abala = that lady; devii = the queen; rushhitaa = being angry; samyak = well; kR^itvaa = made; vinishchayam = determination; savivesha = lied down; bhuumau = on floor; niveshya = keeping; bhrukutim = eyebrows contracted; mukhe = in face.
Kaikeyi, being angry and well determined, lied down on the floor with eye brows, knitted in her face.
tataścitrāṇi mālyāni divyānyābharaṇāni ca || 2-10-6
apaviddhāni kaikeyyā tāni bhūmiṃ prapedire |
6.tataH = thereafter; taani = those; chitraaNi = chaplets; divyaani = beautiful; aabharaNaani = ornaments; apaviddhaam = which were thrown away; kaikeyyaa = by Kaikeyi; prapedire = reached; bhuumim = the floor.
Thereafter, she threw away her colourful chaplets and beautiful ornaments on to the floor.
tayā tānyapaviddhāni mālyānyābharaṇāni ca || 2-10-7
aśobhayanta vasudhāṃ nakṣatrāṇi yathā nabhaḥ |
7. taani = those; maalyaani = chaplets; aabharaaNicha = and ornaments; apaviddhaani = which were thrown away; tayaa = by her; ashobhayanta vasudhaam = were making the earth shine; yathaa = as; nakshhatraaNi = stars; babhaH = in the sky.
Those chaplets and ornaments which were thrown away by her were making the earth shine, as stars to the sky.
krodhāgāre nipatitā sā babhau malināmbarā || 2-10-8
ekaveṇīṃ dṛḍhaṃ baddhvā gatasattveva kinnarī |
8. baddhvaa = tying; ekaveNiim = single braid of; dR^iDham = tightly; malinaambaraa = wearing soiled clothes; saa = that Kaikeyi; nipatitaa = lying down; krodhaare = in chamber of wrath; babhau = shone(was); kinnarii eva = like kinnara woman.
Tying her single braid of hair tightly over her head and wearing soiled clothes, that Kaikeyi lying down in the chamber of wrath was looking like a Kinnara woman lying down dead.
ājñāpya tu mahārājo rāghavasyābhiṣecanm || 2-10-9
upasthāsamanujñāpya praviveśa niveśanm |
9. mahaaraajaH tu = but king Dasaratha; aajJNaapya = ordered for; raaghavasya = Rama's; abhishechanam = coronation; anujJNaapya = took permission; upasthaanam = from the nearest; pravivesha = entered; nivehsanam = the palace.
King Dasaratha ordered for various arrangements to be made for Rama's coronation, took permission to leave from the elders who were present there and entered his palace.
adya rāmābhiṣeko vai prasiddha iti jajñivān || 2-10-10
priyārhaṃ priyamākhyātuṃ viveśāntaḥpuraṃ vaśī |
10. vashii = Dasaratha who kept all activities under his control; vivesha = entered into; antaH puram = inner chambers; aakhyaatum = to tell; priyam = the good news; priyaarham = to Kaikeyi who was a worthy woman to be told good news.
king Dasaratha, who kept all activates under his control entered into the inner chambers to tell the good news of Rama's coronation to Kaikeyi who was a worthy woman to be told the good news first (thinking that she has not yet heard the news).
sa kaikeyyā gṛhaṃ śreṣṭhaṃ praviveśa mahāyaśāḥ || 2-10-11
pāṇḍurābhramivākāśaṃ rāhuyuktaṃ niśākaraḥ |
11. saH = that Dasaratha; mahaayashaaH = with great glory; pravivesha = entered; shreshhTam = most excellent; kaikeyyaagR^iham = Kaikeyi's house; nishaakaraH aakaashamiva = as the moon into sky; paaNDuraabhram = with white clouds; raahuyuktam = containing Rahu; the demon.
That Dasaratha with vast glory entered Kaikeyi's chambers as moon enters the sky with white clouds.
śukabarhiṇasaṃyuktaṃ krauñcahaṃsarutāyutam || 2-10-12
vāditraravasaṃghuṣṭaṃ kubjāvāmanikāyutam |
latāgṛhaiścitragṛhaiścampakāśokaśobhitaiḥ || 2-10-13
dāntarājata sauvarṇavedikābhissamāyutam |
nityapuṣpaphalairvṛkṣairvāpībhiścopaśobhitam || 2-10-14
dāntarājatasauvarṇaiḥ saṃvṛtaṃ paramāsanaiḥ |
vividhyairannapānaiścha bhakṣyaiścavi vidhairapi || 2-10-15
upapannaṃ mahārhaiśca bhūṣitaistridivopamam |
tatpraviśya mahārājaḥ svamantaḥpuramṛddhimat || 2-10-16
na dadarśa priyāṃ rājā kaikeyīṃ śayanottame |
12;13;14;15;16. mahaaraajaH = the great king; raajaa = Dasaratha; pravishya = entering; tat = that; svam = his; Riddhimat = magnificient; antaH puram = palace;shukabarahiNa samyuktam = containing parrots and peacocks; krauncha hamsa rutaayutam = filled with sounds of birds like curlews and swans; vaaditraravasanghushhtam = resonant with sounds of musical instruments; kubjaa vaamanikaayutam = consisting of short and hunch backed maid servants; champakaashoka shobhitai = with lovely champaka and ashoka trees; lataagR^ihaiH = with bowers surrounded by creapers; chitragR^ihaiH cha = with painted rooms; daantaraajata souvarNa; vedikaabhiH = with altars built with ivory; silver and gold;samaayutam = endowed with vsikshhaiH = trees; nitya pushhpa phalaiH = always yielding flowers and fruits; vaapiibhiH cha = and with wells; upashobhitam = adorned with paramaasanaiH = beautiful seats; daantaraajata sauvarNaiH = of ivory; silver and gold; upashobhitam = adorned with vividhaiH = various; aunapaanaiH cha = foods and drinks; vividhaiH = various; bhakshhaiH cha = snacks; upapannam = endowed with; bhuushhitaiH = beautifully adorned; mahaarhaiH = worthy women; tridivopamam = looking like heaven; nadadarsha = could not find; priyam = beloved; kaikeyiim = Kaikeyi; shayauottame = on the best couch.
King Dasaratha entered his magnificent palace but could not find his beloved kaikeyi on her best couch there. Peacocks and parrots were being reared in that palace, sounds of birds like curlews, and swans were heard around. The place was resonant with sounds of musical instruments. Short and hunch-backed maid-servants were moving here and there. There were bowers surrounded with creepers and lovely champaka and Ashoka trees. There were painted rooms. There were altars built with ivory, silver and gold. There were trees yielding flowers and fruits in all seasons and wells in the middle. There were beautiful seats constructed with ivory, silver and gold. Various types of food, drinks and snacks were made available. That palace was looking like heaven with beautifully adorned women.
sa kāmabalasaṃyukto ratyarthaṃ manujādhipaḥ || 2-10-17
apaśyan dayitāṃ bhāryāṃ papraccha viṣasāda ca |
17. kaamabalasamyuktaH = being possessed of power of lust; saH = that ; manujaadhipaH = king; ratyartham = with object of sexual pleasure; vishhasaada = was distress; apashyam = in not seeing; dayitaam = beloved; bhaaryaam = wife; paprachachha = and asked also.
Being possessed of power of lust, that king who came with object of sexual pleasure, was distressed in not finding his beloved wife and enquired the people there.
na hī tasya purā devī tāṃ veldāmatyavartata || 2-10-18
na ca rājā gṛhaṃ śūnyaṃ praviveśa kadācana |
18. puraa = in former times; devii = queen Kaikeyi; na atyavartatahi = did not transgress; tasya taam veLaam = such of his time; raajaa = the king; na pravivesha cha = did not enter also; shuunyam = empty; gR^iham = house; kadaachana = at any time.
In former times, Kaikeyi did not keep away herself at that kind of hour, nor the king enter her chambers at any time without her presence.
tato gṛhagato rājā kaikeyīṃ paryapṛcchata || 2-10-19
yathāpuramavijñāya svārthalipsumapaṇḍitām |
19. tataH = thereafter; raajaa = the king; gR^ihagataH = who entered the house; paryapR^ichchata = enquired; yathaa puram = as before; avijJNaayakaikeyiim apaNDitaam = about without kuching foolish Kaikeyi; swaartha lipsum = who desired to get her selfish ends.
After entering the house, king Dasaratha enquired with the aid-servants there as before, without knowing about foolish Kaikeyi who desired to get her selfish ends.
pratīhārī tvathovāca saṃtrastā tu kR^tāñjaliḥ || 2-10-20
deva devī bhṛśaṃ kṛddhā krodhāgāramabhidrutā |
20. atta = then; santrastaa = fearful; pratiihaarii = female door keeper; kR^itaaJNjaliH = folding hands in supplication; uvaacha = said; deva = "Oh; king!; devii = the queen; abhidrutaa = ran; krodhaagaaram = to chamber of wrath; bR^isham kruddhaa = after becoming too much angry".
Then, a female door-keeper fearfully folding her hands in supplication, said: "Oh, king! The queen ran to her chamber of wrath with much anger".
pratīhāryā vacaḥ śrutvā rājā paramadurmanāḥ || 2-10-21
viṣasāda punarbhuyo lulitavyākulendhriyaḥ |
21. raaja = the king; paramadurmanaaH = having much disturbed mind; lulitavyaakulendriyaH = with wavering and agitated senses; punaH = again; vishhasaada = was dejected; bhuuyaH = more; shrutvaa = after hearing; pratiihaaryaaH = door keeper's; vachaH = words.
That Dasaratha having much disturbed mind already for the absence of Kaikeyi there, became more dejected after hearing the words of door-keeper.
tatratāṃ patitāṃ bhūmau śayānāmatathocitām || 2-10-22
pratapta iva duḥkhena so.apaśyajjagatīpatiḥ |
22. jagatiipatiH = Lord of the earth; saH = that Dasaratha; apashyat = saw; taam = her; patitaam = lying down; bhuumau = on floor; tatra = there; shayaanaam = sleeping; atathochitaam = in such and improper condition; praptaH eva = like burning; duHkhena = with grief.
King Dasaratha, after seeing Kaikeyi lying down on floor in the chamber of wrath, became tormented with grief.
sa vṛddhastaruṇīṃ bhāryāṃ prāṇebhyo.api garīyasīm || 2-10-23
apāpaḥ pāpasaṅkalpāṃ dadarśa dharaṇītale |
latāmiva viniṣkṛttāṃ patitāṃ deva tāmiva || 2-10-24
kinnarīmiva nirdhūtāṃ cyutāmapsarasaṃ yathā |
māyāmiva paribhraṣṭāṃ hariṇīmiva saṃyatām || 2-10-25
23;24;25. vR^iddhaH = the aged; apaapaH = sinless; saH = Dasaratha; dadarsha = saw; bhaaryaam = wife; taruNiim = a youthful woman; gariiyasiim = greater; praaNebhyao api = than life; paapasankalpaam = with a desire to do sin; lataamiva = like creeper; vinishhkR^ittaam = completely uprooted; devataamiva = like angel; patitaam = fallen; kinnariimiva = like Kinnara woman; nirdhuutaam = thrown down; apsarasam yathaa = like Apsarasa; chytaam = expelled; mayaamiva = like illusionism; paribhrashhTaam = dropped off; hariNiimiva = like female deer; samyataam = tied up.
That Dasaratha, who was sinless, a youthful woman dearer than his life, lying down on the floor with an intent to do sin. At that time, she was looking like a completely uprooted creeper, like a fallen angel, like a thrown down Kinnara woman, like an expelled divine dancer Apsarasa, like a dropped off illusionism and like a female deer tied up in a net.
kreṇumiva digdhena viddhāṃ mṛgayunā vane |
mahāgaja invāraṇye snehātparimamarśa tām || 2-10-26
26. mahaagajaH iva = like great elephant; araNye = in a forest; kareNumiva = a female elephant; viddhaam = wounded; dighena = by poisoned arrow; vane = in the grove; parimarsha = (he) touched; taam = her; snehaat = affectionately.
That Dasaratha touched Kaikeyi affectionately, as a great elephant in a forest touches a female elephant which is wounded by poisoned arrow.
parimṛśya ca pāṇibhyāmabhisaṃtrastacetanaḥ |
kāmī kamalapatrākṣīmuvāca vanitāmidam || 2-10-27
27. kaamii = possessed with infatuation; abhisantrasta chetanaH = having fearful mind; parimR^ishya = touched; kamala patraakshhiim = lotus-eyed; vanitaam = woman; paaNibhyaam = with hands; uvaacha = spoke; idam = these words.
That Dasaratha, possessed with infatuation and having fearful mind, touched that lotus-eyed woman with his hands and spoke the following words.
na te.ahamabhijānāmi krodhamātmani saṃśritam |
devi kenābhiśaptāsi kena vāsi vimānitā || 2-10-28
yadidaṃ mamam duḥkhāya śeśe klyāṇi pāṃsuṣu |
28. devii = "Oh queen; kalyaaNi = of auspicious qualities! aham = I; na abhijaanaami = do not know; te = your; krodham = anger; samshR^itam = in habited; aatmani = in me; kena = by whom; abhishaptaa asi = you are cursed; kenavaa = or by whom; vimaanitaa asi = you are insulted; idam mama duHkhaayaa = this has become cause for my pain; yat seshhe = that you are resting; paamsushhu = on dirty floor."
"Oh queen, of auspicious qualities! I do not know that you are angry with me. Who has cursed or disrespected you? I am pained to see you resting in this way on a dirty floor."
bhūmau śeṣe kimarthaṃ tvaṃ mayi kalyāṇacetasi |
bhūtopahatacitteva mama cittapramāthinī || 2-10-29
29. mayi kalyaana chetasi = when I have a good sense of mind; kimartham = why; tvam = you; mama chiHa pramaathinii = hurt my mind; seshhe = by resting; bhuumau = on floor; bhuutopahata chitteva = like one who is possessed of a devil.
"when I am here to expend all good to you, why are you hurting my mind by lying down on the floor like the one who is possessed of a devil."
santi me kuśalā vaidyāstvabhituṣṭāśca sarvaśaḥ |
sukhitāṃ tvāṃ kariṣyanti vyādhimācakṣva bhāmini || 2-10-30
30. bhaamini = Oh; Kaikeyi! me = my; vaidyaaH = physicians; santi = are there; kushalaaH = who are skilled; saravashaH abhishhTutaaH cha = and who are enlogised on all sides; karishhyanti = who can made; tvaam = you; sukshitaam = healthy; achakshhva = tell; vyaadhim = the sickness.
"There are so many royal physicians who are skilled and famous on all sides. They can make you healthy. Tell me your sickness".
kasya vā te priyaṃ kāryaṃ kena vā vipriyaṃ kṛtam |
kaḥ priyaṃ labhatāmadya ko vā sumahadapriyam || 2-10-31
31. kasyavaa = to whom; priyam = favour; kaaryam = ought to be done; te = by you? kena vaa = by whom; vipriyam = offence; kR^itam = was done? katt = who; labhataam = has to get; priyam = favour; adya = now? kovaa = who; sumahat = great; apriyam = offence?'
"To whom do you want a favour to be done? who has offended you? Tell me to whom I have to extend a favour now and to whom I have to do a great offensive act."
mā rodīrmā ca kārṣistvaṃ devi saṃpariśoṣaṇam || 2-10-32
avadhyo vadhyatāṃ ko vā ko vā vadhyo vimucyatām |
daridraḥ ko bhavedāḍhyo dravyavānvāpyakiñcanaḥ || 2-10-33
32;33. devi = " oh; queen! tvam = you; maa rodiiH = do not weep; maa cha kaarshhiiH = nor make ; samparishoshhaNam = body dry up; kovaa = who; avadhyaH = exempt from death; vadhyataam = is to be killed?; kovaa = who; vadhyaH = worthy of killing; vimuchyataam = is to be released? kovaa = who; daridraH = a poor person; bhavet = to become; aadhyaH = wealthy? dravyavaanvaapi = or a rich man; akiN^ichanaH = destitute.
"Oh, Kaikeyi! Do not weep and get your body dried up. If you tell, I shall kill a person who is exempt from death or shall release a person who is worthy to be killed. I shall make a poor man prosperous or a rich man, destitute".
ahaṃ caiva madīyāśca sarve tava vaśānugāḥ |
na te kiṃcidabhiprāyaṃ vyāhantumahamutsahe || 2-10-34
34. ahamchaiva = I and; sarvexha = all; madiiyaaH = my people; tava vashaamgaaH = are submissive to you; aham = I; na utsahe = do not try; vyaahantum = to foil; kiN^chit = even a little of; te = your; abhipraayam = intention.
"I and all my people are submissive to you. I do not wish to foil even a little of your intention".
ātmano jīvitenāpi bruhi yanmanasecchasi |
balamātmani jānantī na māṃ śaṅkitumarhasi || 2-10-35
kariṣyāmi tava prītiṃ sukṛtenāpi te śape |
35. bruuhi = tell; yat = that which; ichhasi = you desire; manasaa = from mind; jiivitenaapi = even by life; na arhasi shaN^kitum = to suspect; maam = me; jaanantii = as you knew; balam = your strength; aatmani = over me; shape = I keep my oath; sikR^itenaapi = even by righteousness; te = to you; karishhye = I shall do; tava = your; riitim = liking.
"Tell me that which is desired by your mind to be achieved even at the cost of my life. You need not suspect me, as you very well know your authority over me. I keep my oath on my righteousness that I shall certainly do whatever is liked by you".
yāvadāvarta te cakraṃ tāvatī me vasundharā || 2-10-36
prācīnāḥ sindhusauvīrāḥ saurāṣṭrā dakṣiṇāpathāḥ |
vaṅgāṅgamagadhā matsyāḥ samṛddhāḥ kāśikosalāḥ || 2-10-37
36;37. me vasundharaa = my earth; yaavat taavati = is as long as; chakram = chariout-wheel; aavartate = revolves; prachiinaaH = eastern countries; sindhu sauviiraaH = Sindhu; Sauviva countries; sauraashhtraaH = Saurastra; dakshhiNaapathaaH = sounthern countries; vaN^gaaN^ga magadhaaH = Vanga; Anga and Magadha countries; matsyaaH = the country of Matsya; kaashi kausalaaH = kasi and Kausala countries; samR^iddhaaH = are all affluent.
My jurisdiction over this earth stretches out as much to the extent as to the extent a chariot-wheel revolves. Eastern countries, Sindhu, Sauviira and Saurastra countries, as well as countries in the south, Vanga, Anga, Magadha and Matsya countries, Kasi and Kausala countries are all full of riches.
tatra jātaṃ bahudravyaṃ dhanadhānya majāvikam |
tato vṛṇīṣva kaikeyi yadyattvaṃ manasecchasi || 2-10-38
38. tatra = there; dhana dhaanyam = gold and grain; ajaavikam = sheep and goats; bahu = various; dravyam = goods; jaatam = are produced; kaikeyi = Oh; Kaikeyi; yadyat = which; tataH = fo those; ichhasi = do you want; VR^iNiishhva = to acquire; manasaa = from the mind.
In those countries, gold and grain, sheep and goats and all types of goods are produced. Oh, Kaikeyi! which of the goods do you want to acquire?
kimāyāsena te bhīru uttiṣṭottiṣṭa śobhane |
tatvaṃ me brūhi kaikeyi yataste bhayamāgatam || 2-10-39
tatte vyapanayiṣyāmi nīharamiva rśmivān |
39. biiru = "oh; fearful one! kim = what use; aayaasena = by exertion; te = to you; shobhane = oh; beautiful woman! uttishhTha; uttishhTha = get up; get up! kaikeyi = Oh; Kaikeyi! bruuhi = tell; me = me; tat = that; yataH = from where; bhayam = fear; aagatam = came; te = to you; vyapena yisshhyaami = I shall remove; te = your; tat = that source of fear; niihaaramiva = as mist; rashmivaan = by sund.
"Oh, fearful one! why are you exerted like this? oh, beautiful lady? Get up get up! Oh, Kaikeyi1 Tell me the source of your fear. I shall remove that source as sun sets aside the mist."
tathoktā sā samāsvastā vaktukāmā tadapriyam || 2-10-40
paripīḍayituṃ bhūyo bhartāramupacakrame |
40. samaashvastaa = consoled by; tathaa uktaa = thus spoken words; saa = she; vaktukaamaa = intending to; tat apriyam = that unkindly word; upachakrame = was begining; paripiidayitum = harass; bharataaram = husband; bhuuyaH = further.
Consoled by hearing the words of Dasaratha, Kaikeyi intending to tell unkindly words like Rama's exile was beginning to harass her husband further, by her words.
- - -
|| ityārṣe srimadrāmāyaṇe addikāvye ayodhya kāṇde daśama sargaḥ ||
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© 1999, K. M. K. Murthy
What the world says about
File transferred by FREE Go FTP