The ambidextrous archery of Rama is established here for the first time. So far, he has been using his archery sporadically, and here it is said to have a different dimension. The speed with which he draws arrows from quiver, the quickness with which he strings them, and the precision with which he shoots, is suggested here, though not explained. Though no apparent divinity is attached to this excercise, it suggests a divine expertise of a human.
There are fourteen thousand demons against one Rama, and the Divine beings watch this from heavens as a sport, without according any miraculous powers to Rama, suggesting that a human has to face any number of problems, here fourteen thousand demons, for himself and no divine grace suddenly comes to his help.
Rama gives the demons enough time and warning, but as the atrocity is escalating, he uses one gandharva missile and many other arrows, which will devastate the entire army of Dushana's brute force.
अवष्टब्ध धनुम् रामम् क्रुद्धम् च रिपु घातिनम् |
ददर्श आश्रमम् आगम्य खरः सह पुरःसरैः || ३-२५-१
1. kharaH puraHsaraiH saha = Khara, forerunning soldiers, along with; aashramam aagamya = at hermitage, on coming; avaSTabdha dhanum = at Rama, who is holding fast, bow; kruddham = wrathful one; ripu ghaatinam raamam ca = enemy, eliminator, also; dadarsha = has seen.
Khara on arriving at the hermitage along with forerunning soldiers saw the enemy-eliminator and wrathful Rama holding fast to his bow. [3-25-1]
तम् दृष्ट्वा सगुणम् चापम् उद्यम्य खर निःस्वनम् |
रामस्य अभिमुखम् सूतम् चोद्यताम् इति अचोदयत् || ३-२५-२
2. tam dR^iSTvaa = at him [Rama,] on seeing; khara niHsvanam = Khara, bawling [or, ass-like, braying bow]; sa guNam caapam udyamya = with, string-taut, bow, on raising up; raamasya abhimukham = to Rama's, fore; codyataam = let [chariot] be driven; iti suutam acodayat = thus, at charioteer, drove [him crazy.]
On seeing Rama that bawling Khara raised his string-taut bow that makes an ass-like braying twang, drove his charioteer crazy saying, "drive to the fore of that Rama..." [3-25-2]
स खरस्य आज्ञया सूतः तुरगान् समचोदयत् |
यत्र रामो महाबाहुः एको धुन्वन् धनुः स्थितः || ३-२५-३
3. saH suutaH = that, charioteer; kharasya aaj~nayaa = Khara's, by order; mahaabaahuH ekaH raamaH = mighty armed one, single, Rama; yatra dhanuH dhunvan sthitaH = where he is, bow, while swaying, standing; to there; turagaan sam acodayat = horses, well, driven.
On the orders of Khara the charioteer drove the horses to there where the mighty armed Rama is standing single-handedly while swaying his bow. [3-25-3]
तम् तु निष्पतितम् दृष्ट्वा सर्वे ते रजनी चराः |
मुंचमाना महानादम् सचिवाः पर्यवारयन् || ३-२५-४
4. niSpatitam = who has fallen in - descended on; tam tu dR^iSTvaa = him, but - for their part, on seeing; sacivaaH te sarve rajanii caraaH = ministers - deputies, they, all, demons; mahaa naadam = with great, noise - battle cries; muncamaanaa venting out; pari avaarayan = around, encircled.
On seeing Khara descending on Rama then all those nightwalkers who are the deputies of Khara encircled Khara venting out loud battle cries. [3-25-4]
स तेषाम् यातुधानानाम् मध्ये रथः गतः खरः |
बभूव मध्ये ताराणाम् लोहिता.ंग इव उदितः || ३-२५-५
5. teSaam yaatudhaanaanaam madhye = of their, of demons, among; rathaH gataH saH kharaH = in chariot, staying, he, that Khara; taaraaNaam madhye = stars, in midst of; uditaH lohita anga = up-shot, copper, coloured bodied one - Mars; iva = like; babhuuva = became - shone forth.
Khara staying on his chariot in the thick of those demons appeared to be like coppery-red planet Mars up-shot in the thick of stars. [3-25-5]
ततः शर सहस्रेन रामम् अप्रतिम ओजसम् |
अर्दयित्वाअ महानादम् ननाद समरे खरः || ३-२५-६
6. tataH = then; kharaH samare = Khara, in combat - prone to a combat; shara sahasrena = with arrows, a thousand; a pratima ojasam = one with - not, paralleled [unique,] force; raamam = Rama is; ardayitvaaa = having assaulted; mahaa naadam nanaada = loud, battle cry, blared.
In his proneness to war then Khara assaulted that uniquely forceful Rama with a thousand arrows and blared a roaring battle cry. [3-25-6]
ततः तम् भीम धन्वानम् क्रुद्धाः सर्वे निशाचराः |
रामम् नाना विधैः शस्त्रैः अभ्यवर्षन्त दुर्जयम् || ३-२५-७
7. tataH = then; sarve kruddhaaH nishaacaraaH = all, infuriated, nightwalkers; bhiima dhanvaanam = one with - horrific, bow; dur jayam = one impossible, to vanquish - invincible; tam raamam = at him, that Rama; naanaa vidhaiH shastraiH abhyavarSanta = with many, types, of weapons, much [incessantly] rained.
All of those infuriated nightwalkers then incessantly rained diverse weapons on that invincibleRama who is handling a horrific bow. [3-25-7]
मुद्गरैः आयसैः शूलैः प्रासैः खड्गैः परश्वधैः |
राक्षसाः समरे रामम् निजघ्नू रोष तत्पराः || ३-२५-८
8. raakSasaaH roSa tatparaaH = demons, to rancour, indulged - caught up; mudgaraiH aayasaiH shuulaiH praasaiH khaDgaiH parashvadhaiH = with bludgeons, lances, tridents, darts, hatchets; samare raamam nijaghnuu = in war, Rama, bombarded.
Those demons that are already caught up with rancour bombarded Rama with bludgeons, lances, tridents, darts and hatchets. [3-25-8]
ते वलाहक संकाशा महाकाया महाबलाः |
अभ्यधावन्त काकुत्स्थम् रथैः वाजिभिः एव च || ३-२५-९
गजैः पर्वत कूट अभैः रामम् युद्धे जिंघासवः |
9, 10a. valaahaka samkaashaa = immense-cloud, resembling - and jostling; mahaa kaayaa mahaa balaaH = massive bodied, exceptionally mighty ones; such as they are; te = those; rathaiH vaajibhiH eva ca = with chariots, horses, even, also; parvata kuuTa abhaiH gajaiH = mountain, ridges, similar, on elephants; yuddhe raamam jimghaasavaH = in war, Rama, eager to kill; kaakutstham abhyadhaavanta = towards Rama, they rushed in on.
Those massive bodied and exceptionally mighty demons came jostling like immense clouds in their eagerness to kill Rama in that war, while some mounted on chariots and horsebacks, and some more riding mountain-ridges like elephants rushed in on Rama. [3-25-9,10a]
ते रामे शर वर्षाणि व्यसृजन् रक्षसाम् गणाः || ३-२५-१०
शैलेन्द्रम् इव धाराभिर् वर्षमाणा महाधनाः |
10b, 11a. te rakSasaam gaNaaH = those, of demons, bands of; raame = on Rama; varSamaaNaa = that which is raining; mahaa ghanaaH = enormous, black clouds; dhaaraabhiH = with discharge of torrents; shaila indram iva = on mountain, the best - lofty one, as with; shara varSaaNi = arrow, torrents; vyasR^ijan = outpoured.
And those bands of demons have outpoured arrows on Rama, as with enormous black-clouds disemboguing torrents on a lofty mountain. [3-25-10b, 11a]
सर्वैः परिवृतो रामो राक्षसैः कॄरदर्शिनैः || ३-२५-११
तिथिषु इव महादेवो वृतः पारिषदाम् गणैः |
11b, 12a. raamaH = Rama; sarvaiH raakshasaiH kR^Ira darshinaiH = by all, demons, by demons, grisly, in their appearance; mahaa devaH = supreme, deity [Rudra]; tithiSu = on [certain] days; paariSadaam gaNaiH vR^itaH iva = retinue, group of, surrounded, as with; pari vR^itaH = around, [Rama is] hemmed in.
When hemmed in with those grisly-looking demons Rama appeared like Rudra surrounded by his divine retinue called prathama gaNa-s, on certain days, whereupon he starts his all-destructive cosmic-dance. [3-25-11b, 12a]
तानि मुक्तानि शस्त्राणि यातुधानैः स राघवः || ३-२५-१२
प्रतिजग्राह विशिखैः नदि ओघान् इव सागरः |
12b, 13a. saH raaghavaH = he, that Raghava; yaatudhaanaiH muktaani taani shastraaNi = by demons, discharged, those, arrows; saagaraH nadi oghaan iva = ocean, rivers', onrush, as with; vi shikhaiH = by verily, pointed [his arrows]; prati jagraaha = in turn, taken [pre-empted.]
That Raghava has pre-empted those arrows discharged by the demons with his excruciatingly pointed arrows as an ocean would do with the river's onrush. [3-25-12b, 13a]
स तैः प्रहरणैः घोरैः भिन्न गात्रो न विव्यथे || ३-२५-१३
रामः प्रदीप्तैर् बहुभिर् वज्रैर् इव महा अचलः |
13b, 14a. ghoraiH taiH praharaNaiH = gruesome one, with those, assault weapons; bhinna gaatraH san = gashed, bodied, even if; saH raamaH = he, that Rama; pra diiptaiH = highly, blazing; bahubhiH vajraiH = with very many, Thunderbolts; mahaa a calaH iva = enormous, not, moving one - mountain [Mt. Meru,] as with; na vi vyathe = not, at all, hurt - not rendered feeble.
Even if his body is gashed with those gruesome assault weapons Rama is not enfeebled, as with the enormous Mt. Meru that can withstand even if battered by very many highly blazing thunderbolts of Indra. [3-25-13, 14a]
स विद्धः क्षतज दिग्धः सर्व गात्रेषु राघवः || ३-२५-१४
बभूव रामः सन्ध्य अभ्रैः दिवाकर इव आवृतः |
14b, 15a. viddhaH sarva gaatreSu = bruised, on all, limbs; kSataja digdhaH = with blood, bedaubed; raaghavaH = one from the dynasty of Raghu-s; saH raamaH = that, Rama; sandhya abhraiH aavR^itaH = of eventide, by cloudscapes, covered with; divaakara iva = sun, as like; babhuuva = became -shone forth.
Bruised and bedaubed with blood on all his limbs that Rama of Raghu's dynasty took shape of the sun enshrouded by cloudscapes at eventide. [3-25-14b, 15a]
Rama is not fading away like the evening sun but becoming more like blood red sun. The 'covering of blood' on his limbs suggests the covering of reddish flaring fire on all his limbs, as we say that evening sun is stained with blood and fire.
विषेदुर् देव गन्धर्वाः सिद्धाः च परम ऋषयः || ३-२५-१५
एकम् सहस्रैः बहुभिः तदा दृष्ट्वा समावृतम् |
15b, 16a. tadaa = then; bahubhiH sahasraiH samaavR^itam = many, thousands [of demons,] surrounded by; ekam dR^iSTvaa = single one, on seeing; deva gandharvaaH siddhaaH parama R^iSayaH ca = gods, celestials, saints, sages, also; viSeduH = are dispirited.
On seeing lone Rama beset by many demons, then the gods, celestials, saints and sublime-sages are dispirited. [3-25-15b, 16a]
ततो रामः तु सुसंक्रुद्धो मण्डली कृत कार्मुकः || ३-२५-१६
ससर्ज निशितान् बाणान् शतशः अथ सहस्रशः |
16b, 17a. tataH = then; raamaH tu = Rama, for his part; susamkruddhaH = becoming highly, infuriated; maNDalii kR^ita kaarmukaH = circularity, made [curved,] having bow; shatashaH = in hundreds; atha = why hundreds?; sahasrashaH = in thousands; nishitaan baaNaan sasarja = trenchant, arrows, jetted out.
But Rama on becoming highly infuriated curved his bow to a full circularity on stretching the bowstring up to his ear, and then jetted out trenchant arrows in hundreds. Why hundreds? He surged them in thousands. [3-25-16b, 17a]
दुरवारान् दुर्विषहान् कालपाश उपमान् रणे || ३-२५-१७
मुमोच लीलया रामः कंकपत्रान् कांचन भूषणान् |
17b, 18a. raamaH raNe = Rama, in that war; dur a vaaraan = impossible, not to, stop - unstoppable ones; dur vi sahaan = impossible, to verily, tolerate - intolerable ones; kaala paasha [daNDa] upamaan = Time's, lead [shaft,] in simile; kanka patraan = eagle, feathered; kaancana bhuuSaNaan = in gold, adorned; such arrows; mumoca liilayaa = discharged, sportily.
In that war Rama sportily discharged eagle-feathered arrows adorned in gold which are unstoppable and intolerable, and which in simile are the leads of Time-god. [3-25-17b, 18a]
ते शराः शत्रु सैन्येषु मुक्ता रामेण लीलया || ३-२५-१८
आददू रक्षसाम् प्राणान् पाशाः कालकृता इव |
18b, 19a. raameNa liilayaa = by Rama, playfully; shatru sainyeSu muktaa = on enemy's, army, discharged; te sharaaH = those, arrows; kaala kR^itaa paashaaH iva = by Time-god, made [flung,] tethers, as with; rakSasaam praaNaan aadaduu = demon's, lives, [arrows] grabbed.
Those arrows that are playfully discharged on the army of enemy have grabbed the lives of demons like the tethers flung by the Time-god. [3-25-18b, 19a]
भित्त्वा राक्षस देहान् ताम् ते शरा रुधिर आप्लुताः || ३-२५-१९
अंतरिक्ष गता रेजुः दीप्त अग्नि सम तेजसः |
19b, 20a. te sharaa = those, arrows; taam raakSasa dehaan bhittvaa = their, demon's, bodies, on impaling; rudhira aaplutaaH = in blood, swamped; antarikSa gataa = into welkin, on going; diipta agni sama tejasaH = inflamed, flame, equal, with the flare; rejuH = shone forth.
On impaling the bodies demons, the arrows swamped in blood have gone into welkin, where they are aglow with flares equalling inflamed flames. [3-25-19b, 20a]
The similitude between redness of blood and the redness of flaring fire is again suggested, as said at 3-25-14b, 15a above.
असंख्येयाः तु रामस्य सायकाः चाप मण्डलात् || ३-२५-२०
विनिष्पेतुः अतीव उग्रा रक्षः प्राण अपहारिणः |
20b, 21a. raamasya = Rama's; caapa maNDalaat = bow's, from nimbus - from circularly bent arrow; atiiva ugraaH = highly, frightening; rakSaH praaNa apahaariNaH = demons, lives, filchers of [resulted in]; a sankhyeyaaH = not, calculable; saayakaaH viniSpetuH [vi niS petuH = verily, out, fell] = fusilladed.
Innumerable and highly frightening arrows fusilladed from the nimbus of the bow of Rama that resulted as the filchers of the lives of demons. [3-25-20b, 21a]
तैः धनूंषि ध्वज अग्राणि चर्माणि च शिरांसि च || ३-२५-२१
बहून् स हस्त आभरणान् ऊरून् करि कर उपमान् |
चिछ्हेद रामः समरे शतशः अथ सहस्रशः || ३-२५-२२
21b, 22. raamaH = Rama; samare = in that war; taiH = with such of them - arrows; shatashaH atha sahasrashaH = in hundreds, now, in thousands; dhanuumSi dhvaja agraaNi = bows, war-flags, pinnacles; carmaaNi ca = skins [armours,] also; shiraamsi ca = heads [of demons,] also; sa hasta aabharaNaan = with, hand, ornaments; bahuun = arms; kari kara upamaan = elephant's, trunk, similar; uuruun = thighs; ciCheda = shredded.
In that war, shooting now with hundreds, and now with thousands of such arrows, Rama shredded those many bows, pinnacles of war-flags, armours and the like. And even shred are the heads of demons, along with their ornamented arms and thighs similar to the trunks of elephants. [3-25-21b, 22]
हयान् कांचन सन्नाहान् रथ युक्तान् स सारथीन् |
गजाम् च स गज आरोहान् स हयान् सारधिनः तदा || ३-२५-२३
चिछ्हिदुः बिभिदुः च एव राम बाणा गुण च्युताः |
पदातीन् समरे हत्वा हि अनयत् यम सदनम् || ३-२५-२४
23, 24. raama baaNaa [caapaat] guNa cyutaaH = Rama's, bow's, string, fallen from [with arrows]; kaancana sannaahaan = with golden, harnesses; ratha yuktaan = chariots, yoked to; sa saarathiin = with, charioteers; hayaan = horses; sa gajaam aarohaan = with, elephants, along with those that are riding; gajaam ca = elephants, also; ciChiduH bibhiduH ca eva hi = shredded, scrapped, also, thus, indeed; tadaa = likewise; sa hayaan saaradinaH = with, horses, cavaliers; padaatiin = infantrymen; samare hatvaa = in war, on killing; yama sadanam anayat = to Yama's, abode, led.
With the arrows flung from the bow-bowstring-nimbus of Rama, he indeed shredded and scraped the horses hitched with golden harnesses, and the chariots to which they are yoked, and even their charioteers. Likewise, he even ripped off the elephants along with their riders, and the horses along with their cavaliers. And on eliminating infantrymen in that war Rama led them to the abode of Yama, the Time-god. [3-25-23, 24] [3-25-23]
ततो नालीक नाराचैः तीक्ष्ण अग्रैः विकर्णिभिः |
भीमम् आर्त स्वरम् चक्रुः छ्हिद्यमाना निशाचराः || ३-२५-२५
25. tataH naaliika naaraacaiH = then, tubular arrows, iron arrows; tiikshNa agraiH = sharp, edged ones; vi karNibhiH = upturned, ears [crescent-tipped] arrow; Chidyamaanaa = while ripped to pieces; nishaacaraaH = nightwalkers; bhiimam aarta svaram cakruH = disgusting, anguish, cries, let out.
While ripped to pieces with tubular arrows, with arrows made of iron, and with sharp-edged and crescent-tipped arrows those demons have let out disgusting cries of anguish. [3-25-25]
तत् सैन्यम् निशितैः बाणैः अर्दितम् मर्म भेदिभिः |
न रामेण सुखम् लेभे शुष्कम् वनम् इव अग्निना || ३-२५-२६
26. raameNa = by Rama; marma bhedibhiH = critical places, piercing ones; nishitaiH baaNaiH arditam = with sharp, arrows, when harrowed; tat sainyam = that, army; sukham vanam agninaa iva = dried-up - burnt to a cinder, forest, by wild fire, as with; shuSkam na lebhe = pleasure, not, they have taken - disquieted.
When those arrows that gore the critical parts are thus harrowing, that army is discomposed like a forest burnt to a cinder by wild-fire. [3-25-26]
केचिद् भीम बलाः शूराः प्रासान् शूलान् परश्वधान् |
चिक्षिपुः परम क्रुद्धा रामाय रजनीचराः || ३-२५-२७
27. bhiima balaaH shuuraaH = grotesquely, sinewy, brave ones; kecit rajaniicaraaH = some, nightwalkers; parama kruddhaa = highly, enraged; praasaan shuulaan parashvadhaan = darts, tridents, hatchets; raamaaya cikSipuH = towards Rama, they dashed.
Some of the grotesquely sinewy and braving nightwalkers are highly enraged and dashed their darts, tridents, and hatchets towards Rama. [3-25-27]
तेषाम् बाणैः महाबाहुः शस्त्राणि आवार्य वीर्यवान् |
जहार समरे प्राणान् चिच्छ्हेद च शिरो धरान् || ३-२५-२८
28. mahaabaahuH = mighty armed Rama; viiryavaan = valorous one; samare = in war; baaNaiH = with arrows; teSaam shastraaNi aavaarya = their, weapons, on fending off; shiraH dharaan = head, holders - necks; cicCheda = sheared off, praaNaan jahaara ca = filched, lives, also.
On fending off those weapons with his arrows that mighty armed and valorous Rama filched away their lives by shearing off their necks in that war. [3-25-28]
ते छ्हिन्न शिरसः पेतुः छ्हिन्न चर्म शरासनाः |
सुपर्ण वात विक्षिप्ता जगत्याम् पादपा यथा || ३-२५-२९
29. te = those demons; Chinna shirasaH = with severed, heads; Chinna carma shara aasanaaH = wrecked, shields, bows; suparNa vaata vikshiptaa = by Garuda, Divine-eagle, its gust, strewn around; paadapaa yathaa = trees, as with; jagatyaam petuH = on earth, crashed down.
Those demons crashed down to earth with their heads severed and shields and bows wrecked, like the trees strewn around on earth owing to the gust raised by Garuda, the Divine Eagle, when he takes a sudden flight in heavens. [3-25-29]
अवशिष्टाः च ये तत्र विषण्णाः ते निशाचराः |
खरम् एव अभ्यधावन्त शरणार्थम् शर आहताः || ३-२५-३०
30. tatra avashiSTaaH = there, remaining; ye nishaacaraaH = those, nightwalkers, even; shara aahataaH = by arrows, battered; viSaNNaaH ca = desperately, also; kharam eva = to Khara, alone; sharaNa artham abhyadhaavanta = for shelter, seeking, rushed.
Those nightwalkers that are battered by those arrows and remaining there, they desperately rushed towards Khara alone seeking shelter. [3-25-30]
तान् सर्वान् धनुर् आदाय समाश्वास्य च दूषणः |
अभ्यधावत सुसंक्रुद्धः क्रुद्धः [रुद्रम्] क्रुद्ध इव अन्तकः || ३-२५-३१
31. duuSaNaH = Duushana; taan sarvaan = them, all; samaashvaasya= on comforting; [punaH = again]; aadaaya = on taking them; su sam kruddhaH antakaH = very, highly, infuriated, Terminator; [rudram] iva = [to Rudra,] as with; dhanuH aadaaya = bow, taking; kruddham = infuriated - Rama;[kaakutstham = to Rama]; abhyadhaavata = hurried towards.
Comforting all of them and taking his bow, very highly infuriated Duushana rushed towards that infuriated Rama like the furious Eliminator Yama.
That highly infuriated Duushana rushed towards Rama as highly infuriated Yama rushes towards Rudra, where Rudra being the ultimate eliminator himself, angry rush of Yama towards Rudra is therefore futile. [3-25-31]
The second meaning can be expressed by substituting the word 'kruddha' with 'rudra' as in other mms than that of Gorakhpur version.
निवृत्ताः तु पुनः सर्वे दूषण आश्रय निर्भयाः |
रामम् एव अभ्यधावन्त साल ताल शिल आयुधाः || ३-२५-३२
32. sarve = all of them; duuSaNa aashraya nir bhayaaH = Duushana, in shelter of, without, fear - emboldened; punaH nivR^ittaaH tu = again, returned, but; saala taala shila aayudhaaH = saala trees, palm trees, boulders, as weapons; raamam eva abhyadhaavanta = to Rama, alone, towards rushed.
Coming under the shelter of Duushana all of those demons are but emboldened and returned, and they once again rushed towards Rama with saala trees, palm trees and boulders as their weapons. [3-25-32]
शूल मुद्गर हस्ताः च पाश हस्ता महाबलाः |
सृजन्तः शर वर्षाणि शस्त्र वर्षाणि संयुगे|| ३-२५-३३
द्रुम वर्षाणि मुंचन्तः शिला वर्षाणि राक्षसाः |
33, 34a. shuula mudgara hastaaH ca = tridents, maces, in hands, along with; paasha hastaa = leashes, in hands; mahaabalaaH raakshasaaH = great-mighty, demons; shara varSaaNi = arrow, torrents; shastra varSaaNi = missile, torrents; druma varSaaNi = tree, torrents; shilaa varSaaNi = boulder, torrents; sa.nyuge = in that war; sR^ijantaH = created; muncantaH = released.
Handling tridents, maces, and leashes those great-mighty demons have created torrents of arrows, missiles, trees and boulders, and inundated Rama in that war. [3-25-33, 34a]
तद् बभूव अद्भुतम् युद्धम् तुमुलम् रोम हर्षणम् || ३-२५-३४
रामस्य अस्य महाघोरम् पुनः तेषाम् च रक्षसाम् |
34b, 35a. punaH = again; raamasya = to Rama; teSaam rakSasaam ca = to the, demons, also; tumulam adbhutam = tumultuous, stunning; roma harSaNam = hair, raising one; asya yuddham = that, war; mahaa ghoram babhuuva = highly, gruesome, became.
Again there chanced a highly gruesome war between Rama and those demons that is tumultuous, stunning, and a hair-raising. [3-25-34b, 35a]
ते समन्तात् अभिक्रुद्धा राघवम् पुनर् आर्दयन् || ३-२५-३५
ततः सर्वा दिशो दृष्ट्वा प्रदिशाः च समावृताः |
राक्षसैः सर्वतः प्राप्तैः शर वर्षाभिः आवृतः || ३-२५-३६
स कृत्वा भैरवम् नादम् अस्त्रम् परम भास्वरम्|
समयोजयत् गान्धर्वम् राक्षसेषु महाबलः || ३-२५-३७
35b, 36, 37. te = those demons; abhi kruddhaa = in high, dudgeon; punaH raaghavam = again, at Raghava; samantaat = all around; aardayan = on pressurising; [ahyayuH - abhi yayuH = came towards him - resurfaced]; tataH = then; mahaa balaH saH = exceptionally, forceful, he, that Rama; raakshasaiH sarvataH praaptaiH = by demons, from everywhere, reappeared; sarvaa dishaH pra dishaaH ca = all, directions, inter, directions, also; sam aavR^itaaH = fully, filled in; shara varSaabhiH aavR^itaH = with arrow, torrents, storming; dR^iSTvaa = on seeing; bhairavam naadam kR^itvaa = thunderous, sound, making; raakshaseSu = among demons; parama bhaasvaram astram = extremely, blazing, missile; gaandharvam samayojayat = gandharva missile, launched.
Those demons have resurfaced from all around pressurising Raghava in high dudgeon. On seeing the reappearance of demons from everywhere, with whom all the directions and inter-directions are fully filled, and who are storming torrents of arrows, then that exceptionally forceful Rama made a thunderous sound and launched an extremely blazing missile among the gather of demons, called gandharva missile. [3-25-35b, 36, 37]
ततः शर सहस्राणि निर्ययुः चाप मण्डलात् |
सर्वा दश दिशो बानैः आपूर्यन्त समागतैः || ३-२५-३८
38. tataH caapa maNDalaat = then, from bow's, nimbus; shara sahasraaNi = arrows, in thousands; nir yayuH = out, scurried; samaagataiH baanaiH = with arrived, arrows; sarvaaH dasha dishaH = all, ten, sides; aapuuryanta = started to fill - crammed.
Then from the nimbus of his bow, arrows in thousand have scurried out, and with them thus arrived all the ten sides are cramped up. [3-25-38]
न आददानाम् शरान् घोरान् विमुंचंतम् शर उत्तमान् |
विकर्षमाणम् पश्यन्ति राक्षसाः ते शर आर्दिताः || ३-२५-३९
39. shara aarditaaH = by arrows, harrowed; te raakshasaaH = those, demons; ghoraan = deadly ones; sharaan aadadaanaam = arrows, drawing forth; na pashyanti = not, seeing; shara uttamaan vimuncantam = arrows, supreme, unloosening; na = not [seen]; vikarSamaaNam = traction [of bowstring]; [na = they have not seen.]
Either the drawing of those supreme arrows from the quiver, or the traction of bowstring on placing them, or unloosing them from the bow is unperceived by those demons that are harrowing under those arrows. [3-25-39]
शर अन्धकारम् आकाशम् आवृणोत् स दिवाकरम् |
बभूव अवस्थितो रामः प्रक्षिपन् इव तान् शरान् || ३-२५-४०
40. shara andhakaaram = arrows, darkness; sa divaakaram aakaasham = with, sun, sky; aavR^iNot = overspread; raamaH = Rama; taan sharaan = those, arrows; pra kshipan iva [pra vaman iva] = spew forth, as though; avasthitaH babhuuva = standing - persevered, he became.
Darkness caused by the thick of the arrows overspread the sky including its sun, while Rama happened to persevere spewing forth his arrows. [3-25-40]
Dark grew the air with arrowy hail / Which hid the sun as with a veil. - Griffith.
युगपत् पतमानैः च युगपच्च हतैः भ्रिशम् |
युगपत् पतितैः चैव विकीर्णा वसुधा अभवत् || ३-२५-४१
41. vasudhaa = earth; yugapat patamaanaiH ca = in a trice, falling down, and; yugapat hataiH ca = in a trice, killed, even; yugapat patitaiH caiva = in a trice, fallen down, also thus; bhrisham vikiirNaa abhavat = far and wide, scattered [with them,] became.
Far and wide the earth is scattered with herds that are falling instantaneously, hosts that have fallen instantly, and huddles that are already felled with an instantaneity. [3-25-41]
Fiends wounded, falling, fallen, slain, / All in a moment, spread the plain, - Griffith.
निहताः पतिताः क्षीणा च्छ्हिन्न भिन्न विदारिताः |
तत्र तत्र स्म दृश्यन्ते राक्षसाः ते सहस्रशः || ३-२५-४२
42. te raakshasaaH = those, demons; tatra tatra = there, and there; sahasrashaH nihataaH = in thousands, when killed; patitaaH = when fell; kshiiNaa = when enfeebled; bhinna = when gashed; cChinna = when slashed; vidaaritaaH = when ripped; dR^ishyante sma = noticeable, they are.
Thousands of demons are noticeable hither and yon, killed, fallen and enfeebled, and slashed, gashed and ripped. [3-25-42]
And thousands scarce alive were left / Mangled, and gashed, and torn, and cleft. - Griffith.
स उष्णीषैः उत्तम अंगैः च स अ.ंगदैः बाहुभिः तथा |
ऊरुभिः बाहुभिः च्छ्हिन्नैः नाना रूपैः विभूषणैः || ३-२५-४३
हयैः च द्विप मुख्यैः च रथैः भिन्नैः अनेकशः |
चामर व्यजनैः छ्हत्रैः ध्वजैः नाना विधैः अपि || ३-२५-४४
रामेण बाण अभिहतैः विच्छ्हिन्नैः शूल पट्टिशैः |
खड्गैः खण्डीकृतैः प्रासैः विकीर्णैः च पश्वधैः || ३-२५-४५
चूणिताभिः शिलाभिः च शरैः चित्रैः अनेकशः |
विच्छ्हिन्नैः समरे भूमिः विस्तीर्णा आभूत् भयंकरा || ३-२५-४६
43, 44, 45, 46. samare = in war; sa uSNiiSaiH = with, headgears; uttama angaiH ca = with best, body part [heads,] also; tathaa = likewise; sa angadaiH baahubhiH = with, bicep-lets, with arms, cChinnaiH uurubhiH = cut off, with thighs; baahubhiH = arms [or, jaanubhiH = with knees]; naanaa ruupaiH vibhuuSaNaiH = diverse, patterns, with ornaments; an ekashaH = not, one - numerous; hayaiH ca = with horses, also; dvipa mukhyaiH ca = elephants, best ones, also; bhinnaiH = ravaged; rathaiH = chariots; caamaraiH vyajanaiH = chaamara animal's tail fur, royal-fans; ChatraiH = royal-parasols; naanaa vidhaiH = very many, kinds of; dhvajaiH api = war-flags, even; raameNa = by Rama; baaNa abhihataiH = by arrows, battered; vicChinnaiH shuula paTTishaiH = splintered, tridents, spears; khaNDii kR^itaiH = to pieces, made as - broken to pieces; khaDgaiH = swords; praasaiH = darts; vikiirNaiH = shattered and strewn; pashvadhaiH ca = with hatchets, even; shilaabhiH = with boulders; cuuNitaabhiH = pulverised [arrows]; an ekashaH vicChinnaiH = in many ways, gone to rack and ruin; citraiH sharaiH = with amazing, arrows; vistiirNaa bhuumiH= spread about, earth which is; bhayamkaraa aabhuut = horrifying, it [earth] became.
Some severed heads still have their headgears and some bare, some arms are with armlets and some bare, while some with their arms cut off, some with their thighs cut off, some with their divers patterns of ornaments on their bodies have fallen on ground. Numerous horses and elephants are felled. Chariots, royal-fans, royal-parasols, war-flags of very many kinds are ravaged in many ways. Hit down by Rama's arrows spears and tridents are variously splintered, swords broken to pieces, darts and hatchets shattered and strewn around. Also the boulders are pulverised, various amazing arrows have gone to rack and ruin in many ways. Spread with such wreckage the earth has become horrifying for a glance. [3-25-43, 44, 45, 46]
तान् दृष्ट्वा निहतान् सर्वे रक्षसाः परम आतुराः |
न तत्र चलितुम् शक्ता रामम् पर पुरंजयम् || ३-२५-४७
47. sarve rakshasaaH = all, [surviving] demons; taan nihataan dR^iSTvaa = them, killed, on seeing; parama aaturaaH = highly, enervated; tatra calitum na shaktaa = there, to make a move, not, capable of; raamam para puram jayam = towards Rama, enemy's, capital/castle, conqueror.
On seeing the killed demons all the surviving demons have become enervated and they are rendered incapable to make a move towards Rama, the conqueror of enemy's capitals. [3-25-47]
इति वाल्मीकि रामायणे आदि काव्ये अरण्य काण्डे पंच विंशः सर्गः
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© 2002, Desiraju Hanumanta Rao [Revised : June 04]
rama and arrows
Secure FTP anywhere, Go FTP FREE Software