Rama and the other two on their way to Panchavati come into contact with Jatayu, the mighty eagle. When Rama questions about its identity, Jatayu narrates the creation of animal species along with humans, and informs Rama that he is a friend of King Dasharatha and would like to help Rama in exile.
अथ पंचवटीम् गच्चन्न् अन्तरा रघुनन्दनः |
आससाद महाकायम् गृध्रम् भीम पराक्रमम् || ३-१४-१
1. atha = then; raghunandanaH pancavaTiim gacChann = Rahu's descendent, to Panchavati, while proceeding; antaraa = in midway; mahaa kaayam bhiima paraakramam = with mammoth, bodied, with marvellous, might; gR^idhram aasasaada = an eagle he reached, came across.
Then while proceeding to Panchavati that Rahu's descendent came across a mammoth eagle with marvellous might in midway. [3-14-1]
तम् दृष्ट्वा तौ महाभागौ वनस्थम् राम लक्ष्मणौ |
मेनाते राक्षसम् पक्षिम् ब्रुवाणौ को भवान् इति || ३-१४-२
2. mahaabhaagau tau raama lakSmaNau = highly privileged, those two, Rama, Lakshmana; vanastham = in forest [vaTastham = on tree]; tam pakSim dR^iSTvaa = him, that bird, on seeing; kau bhavaan iti = who, you are, thus; bruvaaNau = saying; raakSasam menaate = demon, they presumed.
On seeing such an eagle in the forest those two highly privileged brothers Rama and Lakshmana questioned it asking, "Who you are?" presuming it to be a demon. [3-14-2]
स तौ मधुरया वाचा सौम्यया प्रीणयन्न् इव |
उवाच वत्स माम् विद्धि वयस्यम् पितुर् आत्मनः || ३-१४-३
3. saH = he, that eagle; tau madhurayaa saumyayaa vaacaa = to them, with sweet, soft, with words; uvaaca priiNayann iva = spoke, pleasing them, as though; vatsa = oh boy Rama; maam aatmanaH pituH vayasyam viddhi = me, of your, father's, friend , thus you know.
But that eagle with sweet ad soft words spoke to them as though to please them, "oh boy Rama know me as your father's friend." [3-14-3]
स तम् पितृ सखम् मत्वा पूजयामास राघवः |
स तस्य कुलम् अव्यग्रम् अथ पप्रच्छ्ह नाम च || ३-१४-४
4. saH = he that; raaghavaH = Raghava; tam = that bird; pitR^i sakham matvaa puujayaamaasa = him, as father's, friend, accepting, revered; atha saH avyagram = then, he [Rama,] without haste; tasya kulam naama ca papracCha = its, lineage, name, also, asked for.
Accepting that bird as his father's friend Raghava revered it, and he that Rama then asked for that eagle's name and lineage. [3-14-4]
रामस्य वचनम् श्रुत्वा कुलम् आत्मानम् एव च |
आचचक्षे द्विजः तस्मै सर्वभूत समुद्भवम् || ३-१४-५
5. dvijaH = that bird; raamasya vacanam shrutvaa = Rama's, words, on hearing; sarva bhuuta sam udbhavam = reg. all, beings, overall, genesis; kulam aatmaanam eva ca = ancestry, himself, thus, also; aacacakSe tasmai = said, to them.
On hearing Rama's words that bird said about his ancestry and himself, and in doing so, that eagle also narrated the overall genesis of all beings. [3-14-5]
पूर्वकाले महाबाहो ये प्रजापतयो अभवन् |
तान् मे निगदतः सर्वान् आदितः शृणु राघव || ३-१४-६
6. puurva kaale mahaabaahuH = once, upon a time, oh dextrous one; Raaghava; ye prajaa patayaH abhavan = those, people's, lords, were there; taan sarvaan = of them, all; me nigadataH = from me, while I narrate; aaditaH = from beginning; shR^iNu = you may listen.
"Once upon a time there were lords of people, oh dextrous Raghava, and you may listen all about them from the beginning, while I narrate [3-14-6]
कर्दमः प्रथमः तेषाम् विकृतः तद् अनन्तरम् |
शेषः च संश्रयः चैव बहु पुत्रः च वीर्यवान् || ३-१४-७
स्थाणुर् मरीचिर् अत्रिः च क्रतुः चैव महाबलः |
पुलस्त्यः च अ.ंगिराः चैव प्रचेताः पुलहः तथा || ३-१४-८
दक्षो विवस्वान् अपरो अरिष्टनेमिः च राघव |
कश्यपः च महातेजाः तेषाम् आसीत् च पश्चिमः || ३-१४-९
7. teSaam = among them; kardamaH prathamaH = Kardama, the first one; vikR^iitaH tat anantaram = Vikrita, then, afterwards; sheSaH ca samshrayaH caiva = Sesha, also, Samshraya, also thus; bahu putraH ca viiryavaan = with many, children, also, vigorous one; sthaaNuH mariiciH atriH ca = Sthanu, Mariichi, Atri, also; kratuH caiva mahaabalaH = Kratu, also thus, great mighty one; pulastyaH ca angiraaH caiva pracetaaH pulahaH tathaa = Pulasthya, also, Angiira, also thus, Pracheta, Pulah, then; dakSaH vivasvaan aparaH ariSTanemiH ca = Daksha, Vivaswan, then, Arishtanemi; raaghava = oh Raghava; kashyapaH ca mahaatejaaH = Kashyapa, also, great resplendent; teSaam aasiit pashcimaH = of them, was there, the last one.
"Of them Kardama was there at first, and afterwards Sesha, and later Samshraya was there with many children and a vigorous one he was. Then Sthaanu, Mariichi, Atri, the great mighty one Kratu, Pulasthya, Angira, Pracheta and Pulah were there. And oh, Raghava, Daksha, Vivaswan were while the other name of Vivasvan is Arishtanemi, and lastly the great resplendent Kashyapa, was there as Prajapati. [3-14-9] [3-14-7]
प्रजापतेः तु दक्षस्य बभूवुर् इति विश्रुतम् |
षष्टिर् दुहितरो राम यशस्विन्यो महायशः || ३-१४-१०
10. mahaa yashaH raama = oh, highly, glorious, Rama; prajaapateH dakSasya = people's lord, for Daksha; SaSTiH duhitaraH = sixty, daughters; yashasvinyaH = highly renowned ones; babhuuvuH iti vi shrutam = were there, thus, we hear.
"Oh glorious Rama, there were sixty highly renowned daughters to Daksha, thus we hear. [3-14-10]
कश्यपः प्रतिजग्राह तासाम् अष्टौ सुमध्यमाः |
अदितिम् च दितिम् चैव दनूम् अपि च कालकाम् || ३-१४-११
ताम्राम् क्रोध वशाम् चैव मनुम् च अप्य् अनलाम् अपि |
11, 12a. kashyapaH = Kashyapa; taasaam = from them; aditim ca ditim caiva = Aditi, also, Diti, like that; danuum = Danu; api ca = even, also; kaalakaam taamraam krodhavashaam caiva = Kaalakaa Taamra, Krodhavasha, also thus; manum ca api analaam api = Manu, also, even, Anala, also; aSTau su madhyamaaH prati jagraaha = eight, slender, waisted ones, has accepted.
"Of them Kashyapa accepted eight slender-waisted daughters of Daksha Prajapati, namely Aditi, Diti, Danu, Kaalakaa and Taamra, Krodhavasha, also thus Manu and even Anala also as wives. [3-14-11, 12a]
ताः तु कन्याः ततः प्रीतः कश्यपः पुनर् अब्रवीत् || ३-१४-१२
पुत्रामः त्रैलोक्य भर्तॄन् वै जनयिष्यथ मत् समान् |
12b, 13a. tataH priitaH kashyapaH = then, gladdened, Kashyapa is; taaH kanyaaH punaH abraviit = to them, girls � young wives, in turn, said; trai lokya bhartR^In vai = three, worlds, sustainers of, indeed; mat samaan putraam janayiSyatha = sons, to me, similar, you deliver.
"Then Kashyapa is gladdened and said to those young wives, "You all shall deliver sons similar to me and who can sustain the three worlds." [3-14-12b, 13a]
अदितिः तन् मना राम दितिः च दनुर् एव च || ३-१४-१३
कालका च महाबाहो शेषाः तु अमनसो अभवन् |
13b, 14a. aditiH tan manaa = Aditi, that, agreed; raama = Rama; mahaabaahuH = oh, dextrous one; ditiH ca danuH eva ca = Diti, also, Danu, even, also kaalakaa ca[ manaa] = Kaalakaa, also, [agreed]; sheSaaH tu a manasaH abhavan = others, but, not, heedful, they became;.
"Oh, dextrous Rama, Aditi, Diti, Kaalakaa and Danu have agreed for that, but others became unheedful of Kashyapa's words. [3-14-13b, 14a]
अदित्याम् जज्ञिरे देवाः त्रयः त्रिंशत् अरिंदम || ३-१४-१४
आदित्या वसवो रुद्रा अश्विनौ च परंतप |
14b, 15a. arindama = oh enemy-destroyer; adityaam devaaH aadityaa vasavaH rudraa ashvinau ca = from Aditi, Aadityaa-s, Vasu-s, two Ashvini-s; trayaH trimshat devaaH jaj~nire = thirty three, gods, are born; parantapa = oh enemy-oppressor.
"Aditi gave birth to twelve Aditya-s, the Sun-gods, eight Vasu-s, the Terrestrials-gods, eleven Rudraa-s, the Fury-gods, and two Ashvinis, the medicine-gods, total thirty-three of them. [3-14-14b, 15a]
दितिः तु अजनयत् पुत्रान् दैत्याम् तात यशस्विनः || ३-१४-१५
तेषाम् इयम् वसुमती पुरा आसीत् स वन अर्णवा |
15b, 16a. taata = oh, boy; ditiH tu yashasvinaH daityaam putraan ajanayat = Diti, but, well-known ones, Daitya-s [so-called demons,] as sons, gave birth to; sa vana arNavaa = with, forests, oceans; iyam vasumatii teSaam puraa aasiit = this, earth, theirs, earlier, was there.
"Oh, boy Rama, Diti gave birth to well-known Daitya-s, the so-called demons, and earlier this earth with forests and oceans belonged to them. [3-14-15b, 16a]
दनुः तु अजनयत् पुत्रम् अश्वग्रीवम् अरिंदम || ३-१४-१६
नरकम् कालकम् चैव कालका अपि व्यजायत |
16b, 17a. arindama = oh, enemy- destroyer Rama; danuH ashvagriivam putram ajanayat = Danu, to Ashvagriiva or Hayagriiva, the son, gave birth to; narakam kaalakam caiva = Naraka, Kaalaka, also thus; kaalakaa api vyajaayata = Kaalakaa, even gave birth to.
"And oh, enemy-destroyer Rama, Danu gave birth to son Ashvagriiva or also called Hayagriiva, Horse-headed god, and Kaalakaa gave birth to Naraka and Kaalaka. [3-14-16b, 17a]
क्रौन्चीम् भासीम् तथा श्येनीम् धृतराष्ट्रीम् तथा शुकीम् || ३-१४-१७
ताम्रा तु सुषुवे कन्याः पंच एता लोकविश्रुताः |
17b, 18a. taamraa tu = Taamraa, but; kraunciim bhaasiim tathaa shyeniim dhR^itaraaSTriim tathaa shukiim = to Krounchi, Bhaasii, then, to Shyenii, Dhritaraashtrii, like that, to Shukii; etaa = these [above mentioned]; loka vishrutaaH panca kanyaaH suSuve = world, renowned, to five, girls, gave birth.
"But Taamraa gave birth to five world renowned girls namely, Krounchi, Bhaasii, Shyenii, Dhritaraashtrii, and Shukii. [3-14-17b, 18a]
उलूकान् जनयत् क्रौन्ची भासी भासान् व्यजायत || ३-१४-१८
श्येनी श्येनाम् च गृध्राम च व्यजायत सुतेजसः |
धृतराष्ट्री तु हंसाम् च कलहंसाम् च सर्वशः || ३-१४-१९
18b, 19. krauncii uluukaan janayat = Kraunchii, given birth, to Uluukaa-s [owls]; bhaasii vyajaayata bhaasaan = Bhaasii, gave birth to, Bhaasaa-s [vultures]; shyenii vyajaayata su tejasaH shyenaam gR^idhraama ca = Shyenii, gave birth to, very sharp, eagles, falcons [or, raptors as the case may be]; tu = but [in contrast]; dhR^itaraaSTrii hamsaam ca sarvashaH kala hamsaam ca = Dhritaraashtrii, [gave birth to]; swans, also, all of the, kalahamsa-s [other graceful water-birds.]
"And from each of the five daughters of Taamraa in turn emanated are the other avian species, where Kraunchii gave birth to Uluuka-s, the owls, Bhasii-s gave birth to Bhaasaa-s, the vultures, and Shyenii gave birth to very sharp eagles and falcons, and then Dhritaraashtrii gave birth to swans and all other kinds of graceful water-birds. [3-14-18b, 19]
चक्रवाकाम् च भद्रम् ते विजज्ञे सा अपि भामिनी |
शुकी नताम् विजज्ञे तु नताया विनता सुता || ३-१४-२०
20. saa bhaaminii cakravaakaam ca api vijaj~ne = she, that lady, Chakravaaka birds, also, even, gave birth to; bhadram te = safe, you be Rama; shukii vijaj~ne nataam tu = Shukii, gave birth, to Nata; nataayaaH sutaa vinataa = Nata's, daughter, is Vinata.
"Dhritaraashtrii gave birth even to Chakravaaka water-birds, and Shukii gave birth to a daughter Nata, and Nata's daughter is Vinata. [3-14-20]
दश क्रोधवशा राम विजज्ञे अपि आत्मसंभवाः |
मृगीम् च मृगमंदाम् च हरीम् भद्रमदाम् अपि || ३-१४-२१
मात.ंगीम् अथ शार्दूलीम् श्वेताम् च सुरभीम् तथा |
सर्व लक्षण संपन्नाम् सुरसाम् कद्रुकाम् अपि || ३-१४-२२
21, 22. raama = Rama; krodhavashaa = by Krodhavasha; vijaj~ne api = given birth, even; mR^igiim = Mrigi; mR^igamandaam = Mrigamanda; hariim = Hari; bhadramadaam = Bhadramanda; maatangiim = maatangii; shaarduuliim = shadruulii; shvetaam = shweta; surabhiim = Surabhi; sarva lakSaNa sampannaam surasaam = all, giftedness, possessing, Surasa; kadrukaam api = Kadruva, even to; aatma sambhavaaH dasha = self-same, ten [daughters.]
"Oh, Rama, Krodhavasha gave birth to ten of her self-same daughters namely Mrigi, Mrigamanda, Hari, Bhadramanda, Maatangii, Sharduulii, Shweta, Surabhii, and like that to Surasa, who is embodied with all giftedness, and even to Kadruva. [3-14-21, 22]
अपत्यम् तु मृगाः सर्वे मृग्या नरवरोत्तम |
ऋक्षाः च मृगमंदायाः सृमराः चमराः तथा || ३-१४-२३
23. nara vara uttama = oh, best of the best men Rama; sarve mR^igaaH = all of the, deer; mR^igyaaH apatyam = Mrigi's, progeny; mR^igamandaayaaH apatyam = Mrigamanda's, children are; R^ikSaaH sR^imaraaH camaraaH = bears, Srimara-s, a kind of antelopes, yak like oxen; tathaa = like that.
"Children Mrigi are all of the the deer, oh best of the best-men, Rama, and Mrigamnda's progeny is Riksha-s, Bears, a kind of antelope, and like that the Himalayan yak like species.[3-14-23]
ततः तु इरावतीम् नाम जज्ञे भद्रमदा सुताम् |
तस्याः तु ऐरावतः पुत्रो लोकनाथो महागजः || ३-१४-२४
24. tataH = then; bhadramadaa jaj~ne = Bhadramanda, gave birth to; iraavatiim naama sutaam = to Iravati, named, daughter; tasyaaH putraH airaavataH = her, son is, Airavata; mahaa gajaH = great, elephant; loka naathaH = world, protector.
"Then Bhadramanda gave birth to the girl named Iravati and her son is elephant the great, Airaavata, the protector of world. [3-14-24]
हर्याः च हरयो अपत्यम् वानराः च तपस्विनः |
गोला.ंगूलाः च शार्दूली व्याघ्राम् च अजनयत् सुतान् || ३-१४-२५
25. harayoH = lions; tarasvinaH = mighty [tapasvinaH = sagely, gentle]; vaanaraaH = monkeys; haryaaH apatyam = [lady] Hari's, offspring; shaarduulii ajanayat sutaan = [lady] Sharduulii, gave birth, to sons; golaanguulaaH vyaaghraam = baboons, tigers;
"And Hari's offspring are lions and sagely/mighty monkeys, while Sharduulii gave birth to baboons and tigers. [3-14-25]
मात.ंग्याः तु अथ मातंगाअपत्यम् मनुज ऋषभ |
दिशागजम् तु श्वेत काकुत्स्थ श्वेता व्यजनयत् सुतम् || ३-१४-२६
26. manujarSabha = oh, the best man Rama; atha = then; maatangyaaH aapatyam maatangaH = Maatangi's, children, are elephants; kaakutstha = oh, Rama; shveta vyajanayat sutaan dishaa gajaam = Shweta, gave birth, to sons, at quarters, elephants; = .
"Then Maatangi's childrenm are elephants, oh, best one among men, Rama, and Shweta gave birth to eight elephants that are at eight quarters of world, sustaining the world on their head. [3-14-26]
ततो दुहितरौ राम सुरभिर् द्वे वि अजायत |
रोहिणीम् नाम भद्रम् ते गन्धर्वीम् च यशस्विनीम् || ३-१४-२७
27. tataH = then; surabhiH = Surabhi; rohiNiim naama yashasviniim = Rohini, named, illustrious one; gandharviim ca = Gandharvii, also; vi ajaayata dve duhitarau = gave birth, to two, daughters; bhadram te= safe, you be; yashasviniim = noted one.
"Then, oh Rama, Surabhi gave birth to two daughters, one is named as illustrious Rohini, safe you be, and the other is Gandharvi. [3-14-27]
रोहिणि अजनयद् गावो गन्धर्वी वाजिनः सुतान् |
सुरसा अजनयन् नागान् राम कद्रूः च पन्नगान् || ३-१२४-२८
28. rohiNi ajanayat gaavaH = Rohini, gave birth, to cows; gandharvii [ajanayat ] sutaan vaajinaH = Gandharvii, [gave birth] to sons, the horses; surasaa ajanayan naagaan = Surasa, gave birth, many headed serpents; raama = oh, Rama; kadruuH ca pannagaan = Kadru, also, to [ordinary] serpents.
"Rohini gave birth to cows and other livestock, while Surasa gave birth to Naagaa-s, viz., many headed serpents, while Kadru gave birth to ordinary serpents. [3-124-28]
मनुर् मनुष्यान् जनयत् कश्यपस्य महात्मनः |
ब्राह्मणान् क्षत्रियान् वैश्यान् शूद्राम् च मनुजर्षभ || ३-१४-२९
29. manujarSabha = man, the best among, Rama; manuH = [lady] Manu; kashyapasya mahaatmanaH = [wife] of Sage Kashyapa, the great-soul; braahmaNaan kSatriyaan vaishyaan shuudraam ca = Brahmans, Kshatriya-s, Vaishyaa-s, Shuudraa-s, also; manuSyaan janayat = procreated, humans.
"Oh, the best among men Rama, the wife of great-soul Kashyapa, lady Manu procreated humans, Brahman--s, Kshatriya-s, Vyasya-s, and Shudra-s. [3-14-29]
मुखतो ब्राह्मणा जाता उरसः क्षत्रियाः तथा |
ऊरुभ्याम् जज्ञिरे वैश्याः पद्भ्याम् शूद्रा इति श्रुतिः || ३-१४-३०
30. mukhataH braahmaNaa jaataa = from face, Brahman-s, came; urasaH kSatriyaaH tathaa = from chest, Kshatriya-s, likewise; uurubhyaam jaj~nire vaishyaaH = from two thighs, came out, Vyasya-s; padbhyaam shuudraa = from two feet, shuudraa-s; iti shrutiH = thus, we hear from scriptures [Veda-s.]
"The Brahman-s emerged from face, the Kshatriya-s from chest, the Vyasya-s from two thighs, and the Shudra-s from two feet, thus we hear from the scriptures viz., Veda, i.e., Rig Veda Purusha Shuukta. [3-14-30]
सर्वान् पुण्य फलान् वृक्षान् अनला अपि व्यजायत |
विनता च शुकी पौत्री कद्रूः च सुरसा स्वसा || ३-१४-३१
31. analaa api = [lady] Anala, even; vyajaayata = gave birth to; puNya phalaan sarvaan vR^ikSaan = merited ones, fruit-bearing, all, trees; vinataa ca shukii pautrii [dauhitri] = Vinata, also, Shuki's, grand daughter [daughter's daughter]; kadruuH ca surasaa svasaa = Kadru, also, Surasa's, sister; I will narrate.
"All the merited fruit-bearing trees are given birth by Anala, and now I will narrate about Vinata, the daughter's daughter of Shukii, and about Kadru, the sister of Surasa. [3-14-31]
कद्रूर् नाग सहस्रम् तु विजज्ञे धरणीधरन् |
द्वौ पुत्रौ विनतायाः तु गरुडो अरुण एव च || ३-१४-३२
32. kadruuH = [lady] Kadru; sahasram [sahasra aasyam] = thousand faced; dharaNii dharan = earth, bearer -- one who can bear the earth; naaga [naagam] vijaj~ne = to serpent, gave birth; vinataayaaH tu = of Vinata, but; garuDaH aruNa eva ca = Garuda and AruNa, also, like that; dvau putrau = two, sons [took birth.]
"Kadru gave birth to a thousand-headed serpent who is the bearer of this earth, and Vinata gave birth to two sons namely Garuda and Aruna. [3-14-32]
Garuda is the eagle-vehicle of Lord Vishnu, while Aruna, also called Anuuru, for he is a thigh-less being, is the charioteer of Sun's seven-horse chariot. The seven horses of Sun's chariot are the seven colours in vibgyor as in a rainbow. Aruna and Garuda are of avian origination and attributed to be the speediest propellers, and Jatayu and Sampati belong to that lineage.
तस्मात् जातो अहम् अरुणात् संपातिः च मम अग्रजः |
जटायुर् इति माम् विद्धि श्येनी पुत्रम् अरिंदम || ३-१४-३३
33. arindama = oh enemy destroyer Rama; aham = I am; tasmaat [asmaat] aruNaat = from that lineage / from him, from Aruna/Anuura; jaataH = took birth; sampaatiH mama agrajaH = Sampaati, is my, elder brother; shyenii putram = Shyeni's, son; maam = me; jaTaayuH iti viddhi = Jatayu, thus as, know me.
"Oh enemy-destroyer Rama, I took birth from that Aruna, the charioteer of Sun, and my elder brother Sampati too, hence know me as Jatayu, the son of Shyenii. [3-14-33]
सो अहम् वास सहायः ते भविष्यामि यदि इच्छ्हसि |
इदम् दुर्गम् हि कान्तारम् मृग राक्षस सेवितम्
सीताम् च तात रक्षिष्ये त्वयि याते सलक्ष्मणे || ३-१४-३४
34. saH aham = such as I am; icChasi yadi = you wish, if; te vaasa sahaayaH bhaviSyaami = your, at residence, as helpmate, I can be; durgam idam kaantaaram = impassable, this one, forest is; mR^iga raakshasa sevitam hi = by predators, demons, beloved to, isn't it; taata = oh boy; sa lakSmaNe tvayi yaate = with Lakshmana, on your, going out; siitaam rakSiSye = Seetha, I wish to protect.
"Such as I am, I can be your helpmate at your residence if only you wish me to... oh, boy, this impassable forest is a beloved one to predators and demons, isn't it... as such I can take care of Seetha if you and Lakshmana go out..." Thus Jatayu said to Rama. [3-14-34]
जटायुषम् तु प्रतिपूज्य राघवो
मुदा परिष्वज्य च सन्नतो अभवत् |
पितुर् हि शुश्राव सखित्वम् आत्मवान्
जटायुषा संकथितम् पुनः पुनः || ३-१४-३५
35. raaghavaH = Raghava; jaTaayuSam pratipuujya = at Jatayu, in turn, revering; mudaa pariSvajya ca = gladly, on hugging; sannataH abhavat = bowed down, he [Rama] became; aatmavaan = kind-natured one [Rama]; jaTaayuSaa punaH punaH sam kathitam = by Jatayu, again, again well, narrated; pituH sakhitvam shushraava hi = father's, friendship, heard of [he is regardful,] indeed.
Raghava revered Jatayu in his turn by gladly hugging and stood by him with his head bent, and that kind-natured Rama is indeed regardful of the friendship of his father with Jatayu that is repeatedly said by Jatayu. [3-14-35]
स तत्र सीताम् परिदाय मैथिलीम्
सह एव तेन अतिबलेन पक्षिणा |
जगाम ताम् पंचवटीम् सलक्ष्मणो
रिपून् दिधक्षन् शलभान् इव अनलः || ३-१४-३६
36. saH maithiliim siitaam paridaaya = he that Rama, Maithili's, Seetha, on taking; sa lakSmaNaH = with Lakshmana; ati balena tena pakSiNaa saha eva = very, mighty one, with that, bird, along with, thus; analaH shalabhaan iva = as fire, for grasshoppers, like; ripuun didhakSan = enemies, to incinerate; taam pancavaTiim = to that, Panchavati; jagaama = proceeded.
He that Rama took the princess from Mithila Seetha, and proceeded to Panchavati along with that very mighty bird and Lakshmana, as though to incinerate enemies, like fire that burns down grasshoppers. [3-14-36]
इति वाल्मीकि रामायणे आदि काव्ये अरण्य काण्डे चतुर्दशः सर्गः
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© 2001, Desiraju Hanumanta Rao, [Revised : March 04]