Book V : Sundara Kanda - Book Of Beauty
In this chapter Ravana entices Seetha with wealth, gems, sovereignty over all wives of Ravana.
sa taam parivR^itaaM diinaaM niraanandaaM tapasviniim |
saakaarairmadhurairvaakyairnyadarshayata raavaNaH || 5-20-1
1. raavaNaH=Ravana; nyadarshayata=conveyed; saakaaraiH vaakyaiH = in significant words; taam= (to) that Seetha; parivR^itaam = surrounded (by ogresses); diinaam= (who was) wretched; nirranandaam=without happiness; tapasviniim=(and) pitiable.
Ravana conveyed in significant words to that Seetha who was surrounded by ogresses, wretched, without happiness and pitiable.
maaM dR^iSTvaa naaganaasoru guuhamaanaa stanodaram |
adarshanamivaatmaanaM bhayaannetuM tvamichchasi || 5-20-2
2. naagavaasoru = (You are) With thighs like the trunk of an elephant; maam dR^ishhTvaa = seeing me; guhamaanaa = covering; stanodaram=(your) breasts and belly; tvam = you; ichchhasiiva = desire; netum = obtaining; adarshanam = disappearence; aatmaanam = of self; bhayaat = due to fear.
"You are with thighs like the trunk of an elephant. Seeing me covering your breasts and belly, you desire obtaining disappearance of self due to fear.
kaamaye tvaam vishaalaakshi bahumanyasva maaM priye |
sarvaaN^gaguNasampanne sarvalokamanohare || 5-20-3
3. vishaalakshii = O wide eyed one!; sarvaaN^ga guNa sampannaa = you are endowed with bodily excellencies; sarva loka manohare=pleasing to all people; tvaam kaamaye = I desire you; priye = O lovable one!; maam bahumayasva = respect me.
"O wide eyed one! You are endowed with bodily excellencies, pleasing to all people. I desire you. O lovable one! respect me."
neha kechinmanuSyaa vaa raakshasaaH kaamaruupiNaH |
vyapasarpatu te siite bhayam mattaH samutthitam || 5-20-4
4. seethe = O Seetha!; iha = here; kechit na = there are no; manushhyaaH = humans; kaamaruupiNaH raakshasaaH vaa = or ogres with ability to change form; te bhayam = (Let)your fear; samutthitam = caused; mattaH = due to me; vyapasarpatu = be removed;
"O Seetha! Here there are no humans or ogres with ability to change form. Let your fear caused due to me be removed."
svadharmo rakshasaaM bhiiru sarvathaiva na samshayaH |
gamanaM vaa parastriiNaam haraNam sampramathya vaa || 5-20-5
5. bhiiru = O one with fear; gamanam vaa = obtaining parastriiNaam = women belonging to others; haraNam vaa = or abducting; saMpramathya = by force; svadharmaH = is the righteous deed; rakshasaam = for ogres; sarvathaiva = by all means; saMshayaH na = there is no doubt (in this).
"O one with fear! Obtaining women belonging to others or abducting by force is the righteous deed for ogres by all means. There is no doubt in this."
evaM caitadakaamaaM tu na tvaaM sprakshyaami maithili |
kaamam kaamaH shariire me yathaakaamaM praartataam || 5-20-6
6. maithili = O Seetha!; etat evam = It is like this; kaamaH = desire; kaamam = very much; yathaa kaamam pravartataam = may behave in whatever way it likes; me = in my; shariire= body; tu =but; na spR^ikshyaami = I will not touch; tvaam = you; akaamaam= without lust.
"O Seetha! It is like this. desire very much may behave in whatever way it likes in my body. But I will not touch you without lust."
devi neha bhayam kaaryam mayi vishvasihi priye |
praNayasva cha tatvaena maivam bhuuH shikalaalasaa || 5-20-7
7. devi = O queen (of my heart)!;iha = in this matter; bhayam na kkaryam = fear is not to be made; priye = O love! vishvasihi = believe; mayi = in me; tattvena = truly; praNayasva = become with love; maa bhuuH = do not become; shokalaalasaa = absorbed in sorrow;evam = like this.
"O queen of my heart! In this matter fear is not to be made. O love! Believe in me. Truly become with love. Do not become absorbed in sorrow like this."
ekaveNii dharaashayyaa dhyaanaM malinamambaram |
asthaane.apyupavaasashcha naitaanyaupayikaani te || 5-20-8
8. ekaveNii = single plait; dharaashayya = the bed of ground; dhyaanam = meditation; malinam ambaram = dirty cloth; asthaane upavaasashcha = fasting at an inappropriate time; etaani = all these; na aupayikaani = are not useful; te = to you.
"Single plait, the bed of ground,mediation,dirty cloth,fasting at an inappropriate time - all these are not useful to you."
vichitraaNi cha maalyaani chandanaanyagaruuNi cha |
vividhaani cha vaasaaMsi dvyaanyaabharaNaani cha || 5-20-9
mahaarhaNi cha paanaani shayanaanyaasanaani cha |
giitam nR^ittaM cha vaadyaM cha labha maM praapya maithili || 5-20-10
9, 10. maithilii = O Seetha!; praapya = getting; maam = me; labha = gain; vichitraaNi maalyaani = wonderful garlands; chandanaani = sandals; agaruuNi = Agallochums; vividhaani vaasaaMsi cha = a variety of cloths; divyaani aabharaNaani cha = and best ornaments; mahaarhaaNi paanaani = the best drinks; shayanaani = beds; aasanaani cha = and seats; giitam = song, nR^ittam cha = and dance; vaadyam cha = and musical instrument.
"O Seetha! After getting me gain wonderful garlands, sandals, Agallochums, a variety of cloths and best ornaments, the best drinks, beds and seats, song and dance and musical instrument."
striiratnamasi maivam bhuuH kuru gaatreSu bhuuSaNam |
maaM praapya hi katham nu syaastvamanarhaa suvigrahe || 5-20-11
11. strii ratnma asi = You are a gem among women; maa bhuuH = do not be; evam = like this; kuru = make; bhuushhaNam = decoration; aatrshhu = on your limbs; suvigrahe = O one with a good body!; praapya getting; maam = me; katham nu = how (will you); syyaH =become; anarhaaH = unsuited (for luxuries).
"You are a gem among women. Do not be like this. Make decoration on your limbs. O one with a good body! Getting me how will you become unsuited for luxuries?"
idam te chaaru samjaatam yauvanam vyativartate |
yadatiitaM punarnaiti srotaH shiighramapaamiva || 5-20-12
12. idam = this; te yauvanum = your youth; chaaru saMjaatam = born beautifully; vyativartate= is passing away; yat = Whichever (youth); siighram = (is) quickly; atiitam = passing away; naiti = will not come back; punaH = again; apaam srotaH iva = like the flow of water.
"This your youth born beautifully is passing away, whichever youth is quickly passing away will not come back again like the flow of water."
tvaaM kR^itvoparato manye ruupakartaa sa vishvasR^ik |
na hi ruupopamaa tvanyaa tavaasti shubhadarshane || 5-20-13
13. shubha darshane = O one with auspicious appearance!; ruupa kartaa = the creator of form; saH = that; visvasR^ik = creator of the world, Lord Brahma; kR^itvaa = made; tvaam = you; uparataH = and stopped; manye = I think so; anyaa = Another; naasti hi = is indeed not; tava ruupopamaa = equal to your appearance.
"O one with auspicious appearance! The creator of form, that creator of the world, Lord Brahma has made you and stopped - I think thus. There is not another who is equal to your appearance."
tvaam samaaasaadya vaidehi ruupayauvanashaaliniim |
kaH pumaanativarteta saakshaadapi pitaamahaH || 5-20-14
14. vaidehii = O Seetha!; samaasaadya = obtaining; tvaam = you; ruupayauvanashaaliniim = endowed with beauty and youth; kaH pumaan = which man; sakshaat pitaamahaH = (even if he is) Lord Brahma himself; ativarteta= will disregard (you).
"O Seetha! Obtaining you endowed with beauty and youth, which man even if he is Lord Brahma himself will disregard (leave) you."
yadyatpashyaami te gaatram shiitaamshusadR^ishaanane |
tasmimstasmin pR^idhushroNi cakshurmama nibadhyate || 5-20-15
15. shiitaaMshusadR^ishhanane = O one with face like that of moon!; pR^ithushroNi=O one with broad hips!; te = your; yadyat = whichever; gaatram =limb; pashyaami = I see; mama = my; chakshuH = eye; nibadhyate = is getting tied; tasmin tasmin = in that that (limb).
"O one with face like that of moon! O one with broad hips! Your whichever limb I see, my eye is getting tied in that that limb."
bhava maithili bhaayaa me mohamenam visarjaya |
bahviinaamuttamastriiNaamaahR^itaanaamitastataH || 5-20-16
sarvaapaameva bhadraM te mamaagramahiSii bhava |
16. maithilii = O Seetha!; bhava = become; me = my; bhaaryaa = wife; visarjaya = leave; evam = this; moham = ignorance; sarvasaameva = In all; mama = my;bahviinaam = many; uttama strrinaam = best women; aahR^itaanaam = brought; itastataH = from here and there; bhava = become; agramahishhii = foremost consort; te bhadram = (let there be) auspicious to you.
"O Seetha! Become my wife. Leave this ignorance. In all my many best women brought from here and there, become foremost consort. Let there be auspicious to you."
lokebho yaani ratnaani sampramathyaahR^itaani vai || 5-20-17
taani me bhiiru sarvaaNi raajyam chaitadahaM cha te |
17. bhiiru = O timid one!; raani ratnaani = Whatever gems; aahR^itaani vai = (that have been)brought; saMpramadhya = by force; taani sarvaaNi = all those; me = my; etat = this; raajyam = kingdom; aham cha = and also myself; te = (belong to) you.
"O timid one! Whatever gems that have been brought by force, all those, my this kingdom and also myself belong to you."
vijitya pR^ithiviiM sarvaaM naanaanagaramaaliniim || 5-20-18
janakaaya pradaasyaami tava hetorvilaasini |
18. vilaasini = O charmful lady!; vijitya = conquering; sarvaam pR^ithiviim = the entire earth; naanaa nagara maaliniim = together with chain of various cities; tava hetoH = for your sake; pradaasyaami = I can give; janakaaya = to king Janaka.
"O charmful lady! Conquering the entire earth together with chain of various cities for your sake, I can give to king Janaka.
neha pashyaami loke.anyam yo me pratibalo bhavet || 5-20-19
pashya me sumahadviiryamapratidvandvamaahave |
19. iha loke = in this world; na pashyaami = I do not see; anyam = another one; yaH = who; pratibalaH = is equally matched (to me); pashya = see; me = my; sumahat = very great; viiryam = power.
"In this world I do not see another one who is equally matched to me. See my very great power."
asakR^itsamyuge bhagnaa mayaa vimR^iditadhvajaaH || 5-20-20
ashaktaaH pratyaniikeSu sthaatuM mama suraasuraaH |
20. suraasuraaH = Suras and Asuras; bhagnaaH = defeated; vimR^idita dhvajaaH = with broken flags; mayaa = by me; saMyuge = in war; asakR^it = many times; ashaktaaH = are powerless; sthaatum = to stand; pratyaniikeshhu = (in an army)against met;mama = of me.
"Suras and Asuras defeated with broken flags by me in war many times are powerless to stand in an army against me."
ichchha maaM kriyataamadya pratikarma tavottamam || 5-20-21
saprabhaaNyavasajyantaaM tavaaMge bhuuSaNaani cha |
saadhu pashyaami te ruupam samyuktaM pratikarmaNaa || 5-20-22
21, 22. iccha = desire; maam = me; adya = now; tava = (let) your; uttamam = best; pratikarma = decoration; kriyataam = be made; tava =on your; aN^ge = body; bhushhaNaani = (let) ornaments also; saprabhaaNi = with great brilliance; avasajya = be fit; saadhu pashyaami = I will see well; tava = your ruupam = form; pratikarmaNaa yuktam = together with decoration.
"Desire me! Now let your best decoration be made. On your body let ornaments also with great brilliance be fit. I will see well your form together with decoration."
pratikarmaabhisamyuktaa daakshiNyena varaanane |
bhumkSva bhogaanyathaakaamaM piba bhiiru ramasva cha || 5-20-23
23. varaane = O one with best face!; bhiiru = O timid one! daakshiNyena = with consideration; pratikarmaabhi saMyuktaa = together with decoration; bhuMksva = enjoy; bhogaan = luxuries; yathaa kaamam = according to your desire; piba = drink; ramasva cha = Rejoice
"O one with best face! O timid one! With consideration enjoy luxuries according to your desire together with decoration. Drink. Rejoice."
yathechchham cha prayachchha tvaM pR^ithiviim vaa dhanaani cha |
lalasva mayi visrabdhaa dhR^iSTamaajJNaapayasva cha || 5-20-24
24. tvam = you; prayaccha = donate; priR^thiviim = land; dhanaani cha = and wealth; yathecchham = according to wish; visrabhdaa = with confidence; lalasva = behave freely; mayi = in my matter; dhR^ishhtam = fearlessly; aajJNaapayasva cha = order also.
"You donate land and wealth according to your wish. With confidence behave freely in my matter. Fearlessly order also."
matrpasaadaallalantyaashcha lalantaaM baandhavaastava |
buddhiM mamaanupashya tvam shriyam bhadre yashashcha me || 5-20-25
25. matprasaadaat= By my grace; lalantyaaH = (with your) sporting; tava = your bandhavaaH = relatives; lalantaam = (will also) sport; bhadre = O auspicious one!; tvam = you; anupashya = see; mama =my; buddhim = wealth; me yashashcha= and my fame.
" By my grace with your sporting, tour relatives will also sport. O auspicious one! You see my wealth and my fame."
kiM kariSyasi raameNa subhage chiiravaasasaa |
nikSiptavijayo raamo gatashriirvanagocharaH || 5-20-26
vratii sthaNDilashaayii cha shaN^ke jiivati vaa na vaa |
26. subhage = O beautiful one!;kim = what; karishhyasi =can you do; raameNa =with Rama; chiira vasasaa = clad in tatters; nikshipta vijayaH = with lost hope of victory; gatashrii = with gone fortune; vana gocharaH = roaming in forests; vratii = observing austerities; sthaNDilashayii cha = and also sleeping on floor; shaN^ke = I doubt; raamaH =(if) Rama; jiivati = (is) alive or; na vaa = not.
"O beautiful one! What can you do with Rama clad in tatters, with lost hope of victory, with gone fortune. Roaming in forests, observing austerities and also sleeping on floor, I doubt if Rama is alive or not."
na hi vaidehi raamstvaaM draSTuM vaa pyupalassyate || 5-20-27
purobalaakairasitairme ghorjyotsnaamivaavR^itaam |
27. vaidehii = O Seetha!; raamaH = Rama; na hi upalapsyate = indeed does not get opportunity; drashhTum vaapi tvaam= even to see you; jyotsnaamiva = like moonlight; aavR^itaam = covered; asitaiH meghaiH = by dark clouds; purobalaakaiH = with cranes at the front.
"O Seetha, Rama indeed does not get opportunity even to see you like moonlight covered by dark clous with cranes at the front."
na chaapi mama hastaattvaaM praaptumarhati raaghavaH || 5-20-28
hiraNyakashipuH kiirtimindrahastagataamiva |
28. kiirtimiva = like keerthi; hiraNyakashipuH = (got by) Hiranyakasipu; indrahastagataam = from Indra's hand; raaghavaH = Rama; na chaapi arhati = is not suited; praaptum = to get; tvaam = you; mama hastaat = from my hand.
"Like Keerthi got by Hiranyakasipu from Indra's hand, Rama is not suited to get you from my hands."
chaarusmite chaarudati chaarunetre vilaasini || 5-20-29
mano harasi me bhiiru suparNaH panngaM yathaa |
29. chaarusmite = O One with a beautiful smile!; chaarudati = O one with beautiful teeth!; chaarunetre = O one with beautiful eyes!; vilaasinii = O charmful one!; bhiiru = O timid one!; harasi = you are stealing; me manaH = my heart; pannagaM yathaa = like a serpent; suparNaH = (stolen) by Garuda.
"O one with a beautiful smile! O one with beautiful teeth!O one with beautiful eyes! O charmful one! O timid one! You are stealing my heart like a serpent stolen by Garuda.
kliSTakausheyavasanaam tanviimapyanalamkR^itaam || 5-20-30
tvaaM dR^iSTvaa sveSu daareSu ratiM nopalabhaamyaham |
30. kliSTa kausheya vasanaam = (You are) wearing a silk cloth in a bad condition; tanviim = (you are) emaciated; analaMkR^itaamapi= Even though you have not decorated; dR^ishhTvaa = seeing; tvaam = you; aham = I; nopalabhaami = am not getting; ratim= happiness; sveshhu daareshhu = in my wives.
"You are Wearing a silk cloth in a bad condition. You are emaciated. Even though you have not decorated, seeing you I am not getting happiness in my wives."
antH puravinaasinyaH striyaH sarvaguNaanvitaaH || 5-20-31
yaavantyo mama sarvaasaamaishvaram kuru jaanaki |
31. jaanaki = O Seetha!; yaavantyaH = whovever; striyaH = women; mama antaHpura nivaasinyaH = living in my gynaeceum; sarvaguNaanvitaaH = endowed with all virtues; kuru = have; aishvaryam = sovereignty; sarvaasaam = on all of them.
"O Seetha! whoever women living in gynaeceum endowed with all virtues, have sovereignty on all of them."
mama hyasitakeshaante trailokyapravaraaH striyaH || 5-20-32
taastvaaM parichariSyanti shriyamapsaraso yathaa |
32. asitakeshhante = O one with black hair! mama = my; taaH = those; striyaH = women; apsarasaH = apsarasas; trailokyapravaraaH = best among the three worlds; paricharishhyanti = will serve; tvaam = you; shriyam yathaa = like the goddess of wealth.
"O one with black hair! My those women and apsarasas who are the best among the three worlds will serve you like the goddess of wealth."
yaani vaishravaNe subhru ratnaani cha dhanaani cha || 5-20-33
taani lokaamshcha sushroNi maaM cha bhumkSva yathaasukham |
33. sushroNi = O one with beautiful hips!; subhru = O one with beautiful eyebrows; bhunkshva = enjoy; yathaasukham = according to your comfort; yaani ratnaani = Whatever gems; dhanaani cha = and wealth; vaishravaNe = belonging to Kubera; taani = all those; lokaaMshcha = three worlds; maaM cha = and me;
"O one with beautiful hips! O one with beuatiful eyebrows! Enjoy according to your comfort whatever gems and wealth belonging to Kubera, all those three worlds and me."
na raamastapasaa devi na balena vikramaiH || 5-20-34
na dhanena mayaa tulyastejasaa yashasaapi vaa |
34. devii = O Seetha!; raamaH = Rama na tulyaH = is not equal; mayaa = to me; tapasaa = by austerity; na = not (equal); balaena cha = by might; na = not (equal); vikramaiH = by strength;na = not (equal) dhanena = by wealth; tejasaa = by brilliance; yashsaapi cha = and by fame.
"O Seetha! Rama is not equal to me by austerity, not equal by might; not equal by strength, not equal by wealth, by brilliance and by fame."
piba vihara ramasva bhuMkSva bhogaan |
dhananichauam pradishaami mediniim cha |
mayi lala lalane yathaasukham tvam |
tvayi cha sametya lalantu baandhavvaste || 5-20-35
35. lalane = O playful one!; pradishaami = I will give; dhananichayam = hordes of wealth; mediniim cha = and land; tvam = you; piba = drink; vihara = roam freely; ramasva = and play; bhunkshva = enjoy; bhogaan = luxuries; lala = sport; yathaasukham == according to comfort; mayi = in me; te baandhavaaH = your relatives; lalantu = may sport; sametya = together; tvayi = in you.
"O playful one! I will give hordes of wealth and land. You drink. Roam freely and play. Enjoy luxuries. Sport according to comfort in me. Your relatives may sport together in you."
vihara mayaa saha bhiiru kaananaani || 5-20-36
36. bhiiru = O timid one!; kanakavimalahaarabhuushhinaaN^gii = with body decorated by gold colored, pure garlands; vihaara = roam; mayaa saha = with me; kaananaani = in forests; samudratiirajaani = born at sea shore;kusumita taru jaala saMtataani = filled with groups of flowered trees; bhramara yutaani = with humble bees
"O timid one! With body decorated with gold colored, pure garlands, roam with me in forests born at sea shore filled with groups of flowered trees and with humble bees."
ityaarSe shriimadraamaayaNe aadikaavye sundarakaaNDe vimShaH sargaH
Thus completes 20th Chapter of Sundara Kanda of the glorious Ramayana of Valmiki, the work of a sage and the oldest epic.
© May 2005, Kishore Kopalle