Book II : Ayodhya Kanda - Book Of Ayodhya
Rama approaches his mother Kausalya to inform her of the calamity. Kausalya on hearing the news, faints. On recovering, she laments in the most grevious tones to Rama.
tasmimstu puruÿvy˜ghre niÿkr˜mati k®t˜ñjalau |
˜rtaþacdo mah˜n jajñe strŸõ˜ma nta×pure tad˜ || 2-20-1
1. tadaa =Then; tasmin = that Rama; purushha vyaaaghre = the best of men; nishhkraamati = While leaving; kR^itaanjalou= after offering salutation; sriiNaam= among women; antaHpura= in the palace; jajJNe = there was; mahaan =great aartashsbdaH =cry of pain.
While Rama, the best of men was leaving, after offering salutation to his father, women in the palace were weaping loudly.
krtyeÿvacodita× pitr˜ sarvasy˜nta× purasya ca |
gatirya× þaraõam c˜sŸt sa roomo'dya pravatsyati || 2-20-2
2. yaH= which Rama; achoditaH= without being prompted; pitraa =by father kR^ityeshhu =in actions; aasiit =became; gatiH= the recourse; sharaNamcha =and protector; sarvasya= to entire; anta purasya =palace; saH raamaH =such Rama; pravatsyati =is going to exile; adya =now.
Which Rama, without being told by his father, used to do necessary activities and protect the entire palace, is about to go to exile now”.
kausaly˜y˜m yath˜ yukto janany˜m vartate sad˜ |
tathaiva vartate'sm˜su janmaprabh®ti r˜ghava× || 2-20-3
3. raaghavaH= Rama; janma prabhR^iti =since he was born; vartate =was behaving; tathaiva =in the same way; asmaasu =towards us; yathaa =as how; yuktaH =attentive; sadaa =always; kausalyaam =towards Kausalya; jananyaam =who was the mother.
“Rama, since he was born, was showing the same attention to us, as he was showing to his mother Kausalya.”
na krudhyatyabhiþasto'pi krodhanŸy˜ni varjayan |
k®ddh˜n pras˜dayan sarv˜n sa ito'dya pravatsyati || 2-20-4
4.varjayan= used to avoid; krodhayaani =actions which created anger; prasaadayani =soothed; sarvaan =all; kruddhaan =who were angry; na kruddhyati =was not furious; abhishasto api= even if abused; saH= Such Rama Pravatsyati = is going to exile; adya =to day; itaH = from here.
“He used to avoid actions which created anger and soothed all those who were angry. Rama was not furious with those who abused him. Such Rama is going today to exile.”
abhuddhirbata no r˜j˜ jŸvalokam caratyayam |
yo gatim sarvabh¨t˜n˜m parityajati r˜ghavam || 2-20-5
5. yaH= Which Dasaratha parityajati =by abonding raaghavam =Rama gatim =who was helpful sarvabhuutaanaam =to all beings ayam =this naH rajahaa = our king abuddhiH= who is stupid, charati =is offending jiivalokam =all beings.”
“Our stupid king by abandoning Rama who was helpful to all beings , is offending all the beings.”
iti sarv˜ mahiÿyast˜ vivats˜ iva dhenava× |
patim˜cukruþuþcaiva sasvaram c˜pi cukruþu× || 2-20-6
6. iti =Thus sarvaaH= all taaH =those mahishhaH =king’s consorts chukrushuHcha api =were weaping sasvaram =with sound, dhenavaH =who lost their calves aachukrushushcha eva =also abused patim =husband.
Thus, all the king consorts while weaping loudly, as cows which lost their Calves, abused their husband .
sa hi c˜nta× pure ghoram˜rtaþabdham mahŸpati× |
putraþok˜bhisantapta× þrutv˜ vy˜lŸyat˜sane || 2-20-7
7. shrutva =After hearing aarta shabdam =the distressful sounds yhoram =which was horrible, antaHpura =in the palace mahiipatiH= king Dasaratha vyaaliiyata =clung, aasane =to the seat putra shokaabhisantaptaH =with extreme anguish for his son.
After hearing the terrific distressful crying sounds in the palace, Dasaratha clung to the seat, with extreme anguish for his son.
r˜ma× tu bhrþam ˜yasta× nihþvasann iva kunjara× |
jag˜ma sahita× bhr˜tr˜ m˜tur anta× puram vaþŸ || 2-20-8
8. raamastu =Rama, be it so, bhRisham =greatly aayastaH =hurt, niHshvasan =sighed kuN^jaraHiva =like elephant, vashii =subdued the senses jagaama =went antaHpuram =to the palace maatuH =of mother bhraatraa sahitaH =along with brother.
Rama, who was greatly hurt, sighed like an elephant, subdued his senses and went to his mother’s palace along with Lakshmana
so apaþyat puruÿam tatra vrddham parama p¨jitam |
upaviÿ÷am grha dv˜ri tiÿ÷hata× ca apar˜n bah¨n || 2-20-9
9. saH =Rama apashyat =saw parama puujitam =much-worshipped vriddham purusham =old man upavishTam =sitting gR^ihadvaari =at the gateway, bahuum =many aparaamshcha =others tishTataH= standing tatra =there.
Rama saw a much worshipped old man sitting at the gateway of the house and many other standing there.
drÿ÷vai tu tad˜ r˜maÕ te sarve sahasotthit˜× |
jayena jayat˜m þreÿ÷ham vardhayanti sma r˜ghavam || 2-20-10
10. tadaa =Then, dR^iTvaiva =after seeing raamam =Rama te sarve =all of them utthitaaH =rose up sahasaa =quickly vardhayantisma =exhilarating their spirits jayena =by uttering “Hail! Glory!” raaghavam =to Rama jayatam shreshTam =the most triumphant man.
After seeing Rama, all of them rose quickly and greeted Rama the most triumphant man, by uttering the words “May you have increased success!”
praviþya pratham˜m kakÿy˜m dvitŸy˜y˜m dadarþa sa× |
br˜hmaõ˜n veda sampann˜n vrddh˜n r˜jñ˜ abhisatkrt˜n || 2-20-11
11. saH =That Rama pravishya =entered prathamaam kakshyaam =the first enclosure, dadarsha =saw dvitiiyaam =at the second gate vriddhaaan =old braahmaNaan =brahmanas, veda sampannaan =perfect in Vedas abhisatkRitaan =honoured raaGyaa =by king.
Rama crossed the first gate and saw old Brahmanas who were perfect in Vedas and duly honoured by the king.
praõamya r˜ma× t˜n vrddh˜ms trtŸy˜y˜m dadarþa sa× |
striyo vrddh˜× ca b˜l˜× ca dv˜ra rakÿaõa tatpar˜× || 2-20-12
12. raamaH =Rama pranamya =saluted taan =those vipraan =brahmanas, dadarsha =saw vR^iddhaaH =old striyaH= women tathaa =and balaaH =girls dvaara rakshaNa tatparaaH =who were interested in guarding the gate tR^itiiyaayaam =the third enclosure.
Rama offered salutation to those brahmanas and saw old women and girls, guarding the gate in the third enclosure.
vardhayitv˜ prahrÿ÷˜× t˜× praviþya ca grham striya× |
nyavedayanta tvarit˜ r˜ma m˜tu× priyam tad˜ || 2-20-13
13. tadaa =Then taaH =those striyaH =women, prahR^ishTaaH =having been glad, vardhayatvaa =greeted Rama with word of success, tvaritaaH= quickly pravishya= entered gR^iham =house, nyavedayasta =informed raamamaatuH =Kausalya, the mother of Rama priyam =the pleasing news.
Then those women, having been delighted, greeted Rama with good word of success, quickly entered the house and informed Kausalya about the lovely arrival of Rama .
kausaly˜ api tad˜ devŸ r˜trim sthitv˜ sam˜hit˜ |
prabh˜te tu akarot p¨j˜m viÿõoh putra hita eÿiõŸ || 2-20-14
14. tadaa =at that time, kausalyaa =Kausalya sthitvaa =having stayed samaahitaa =steadfast raatrim =all the night, akarot =performed pujaam =worship vishhnoH =to Vishnu prabhaate =at dawn putrahi taishhiNii =for the welfare of the son.
At that time, Kausalya having spent the whole night with steadfastness, who performing worship to Vishnu,at dawn, for the welfare of her son.
s˜ kÿauma vasan˜ hrÿ÷˜ nityam vrata par˜yaõ˜ |
agnim juhoti sma tad˜ mantravat krta mangal˜ || 2-20-15
15. saa =Kausalya vrata paraayaNaa = who was interested to pracise religious vows nityam =regularly, kshhouma vesanaa =was wearing white silk sari kR^ita maN^galaa =made up of auspiciousness, hR^ishhTaa =thrilling with rapture, juhotisma =was doing sacrificial ceremony agnim =in fire mantravat =reciting vedic hymns.
Kausalya, who was interested to practise religious vows regularly was appearing auspiciously by wearing a white silk sari and gladly performing sacrificial ceremony in a sacred fire, by reciting vedic hymns.
praviþya ca tad˜ r˜ma× m˜tur anta× puram þubham |
dadarþa m˜taram tatra h˜vayantŸm huta aþanam || 2-20-16
16. tadaa =Then raAmaH =Rama provishya =entered shubham =auspicious maatuH antaHpuram = mother’s apartment, dadarsha =saw maataram = mother haavayantiim =performing sacrificial ceremony hutaashanam =in sacred fire tatra =there.
Then Rama entered the auspicious mother’s apartment and saw his mother performing sacrificial ceremony in sacred fire there.
devak˜ryanimittam ca tatr˜paþyat samudyatam|
dadhyakÿatam gh®tam caiva modak˜n haviÿastad˜ || 2-20-17
l˜j˜n m˜ly˜ni þukl˜ni p˜yasam k®saram tath˜ |
samidha× p¨rõakumbh˜mþcha dadarþa raghunamdana× || 2-20-18
17,18. tatra =There, raghunandanaH= Rama apashyat =saw samudyatam =articles of worship kept ready devakaaryanimiHam =for the purpose of sacred ceremony, dadhyakshhatam = curd,unbroken rice, gR^itam chaiva =clarified butter modakaan =sweet meats, tathaa =and havishhaH= things fit for oblation laajaan= fried grain, shuklaani =white maalyaani =garlands, paayasam =rice boiled in milk, kR^isaram =mixture of rice and peas with a few spices, samidhaH =sacrificial sticks puurNa kumbhaashcha =vessels full of water.
There, Rama saw the articles of worship kept ready for the purpose of the sacred ceremony like curd, unbroken rice, clarified butter, sweet meats, things fit for oblation, fried grain, garlands made of white flowers, rice boiled in milk, mixture of rice and peas with a few spices, sacrificial sticks, vessels full of water etc.
t˜m þuklakÿaumasamvŸt˜m vratayogena karþit˜m |
tarpayantŸm dadarþ˜dbhi× devat˜m devavarõinŸm || 2-20-19
19. dadarsha =saw taam =Kausalya shukla kshhouma samviitaam =who was wearing white silk sari, karshitaam =became lean vratayogena =because of observance of vow, deva varNiniim =having appearance of an angel devataam =gods abdhiH =with water.
Kausalya, who became lean because of observance of vows, was shining like an angel with her white silk sari and was satiating gods by presenting to them libations by water.
s˜ cirasya ˜tmajam drÿ÷v˜ m˜tr nandanam ˜gatam |
abhicakr˜ma samhrÿ÷˜ kiþoram vaýav˜ yath˜ || 2-20-20
20. dr^ishTvaa =by seeing aatmajam =her son, aagatam =who came chirasya =after a long time, maatR^i nandanam = who gave delight to his mother, saa =Kausalya samhRishhTaa =was glad abhichakrama =approached, by moving in front, kishoram yathaa =like a young colt, badabaa =by a female horse.
By seeing her son who came after a long time and who gave delight to mother, Kausalya was pleased and approached towards him, like a female horse approaching her young colt.
sa m˜taramabhikr˜nt˜mupasamg®hya r˜ghava× |
pariÿvaktaþca b˜hubhy˜mup˜gr˜taþca m¨rdhani || 2-20-21
21. raamaH =Rama upa samgR^ihya =offered salutation by touching the feet abhikraantam =of approaching maataram =mother, parishhvaktaH= was embraced baahubhyaam =by her arms, upaaghraatashcha =was smelt muurdhani =in his head.
Rama offered salutation to the approaching mother by touching her feet. Then, she took him into her arms and smelt his head.
tam uv˜ca dur˜dharÿam r˜ghavam sutam ˜tmana× |
kausaly˜ putra v˜tsaly˜t idam priya hitam vaca× || 2-20-22
22. kausalya =Kausalya vuvaacha =spoke idam =these priyahitham =pleasing and salutary vachaH =words putravaatsalyaat =due to affection on son aatmanaH= her sutam =son tam raaghavam =that Rama duraadharshham =who was unassailable
Kausalya spoke these pleasing words affectionately to her son Rama, who was unassailable by enemies.
vrddh˜n˜m dharma þŸl˜n˜m r˜jarÿŸõ˜m mah˜tman˜m |
pr˜pnuhi ˜yu× ca kŸrtim ca dharmam ca upahitam kule || 2-20-23
23. praapnuhi =obtain aayushcha =long life, kiirtimeha =glory, dharmamcha =and duty upahitam =engrained kule =in your race, vriddhaanam =as with the aged, dharmashhiilaanaam =the great souled, raajarshhiiNaam =the rayol sages.
“Obtain long life and glory, as obtained by the aged , the virtuous, the great souled and the royal sages .Protect the righteousness engrained in your race”
satya pratijñam pitaram r˜j˜nam paþya r˜ghava |
adya eva hi tv˜m dharma ˜tm˜ yauvar˜jye abhiÿekÿyati || 2-20-24
24. raaghava =Oh, Rama! pashya = see raajaanam =the king pitaram =your father, satya pratiG^yam =who is having true promise adyaiva =Today itself, dharmaatmaa =that virtuous man abhishhekshhyati =will install tvaam =you youvaraajye =as successor to kingdom.
“Oh,Rama ! King Dasaratha ,your father is a man of true promise. Today itself, you will be installed as successor to the kingdom by your virtuous father.”
dattam˜sanam˜labhya bhojanena nimantrita× |
m˜taram r˜ghava× kimcit pras˜rya anjalim abravŸt || 2-20-25
25. raaghavaH =Rama nimantritaH= was called bhojanena =for food, aalabhya =touched aasanam =the seat dattam =offered, prasaarya =raised kinchit =slightly aNjalim =joined palms, abraviit =spoke maataram =to mother.
Kausalya asked Rama to take food , but Rama just touched the seat offered by her and after performing salutation to her, spoke thus to his mother.
sa svabh˜va vinŸta× ca gaurav˜c ca tad˜ ˜nata× |
prasthito daõýak˜raõyam˜praÿ÷umupacakrame || 2-20-26
26. tadaa =Then saH =that Rama , svabhaava viniitashcha =being humble in nature, nataHcha =and modest gouravaat =due to respect for mother, prasthtaH =setting fourth journey daNd^akaaraNy^am =to Dandaka forest, upakrame =was set about aaprasTum =to seek permission.
That Rama , being humble in nature , became still modest due to respect for his mother and was set about to ask her permission before setting forth his journey to Dandaka forest.
devi n¨nam na j˜nŸÿe mahad bhayam upasthitam |
idam tava ca duhkh˜ya vaidehy˜ lakÿmaõasya ca || 2-20-27
27. devii =oh, mother! na jaaniishhe =you do not know mahat =-great bhayam =dismay upasthitam =is approaching nuunam =indeed. idam =This duHkhaaya =brings grief tavaacha =to you , vaidehyaa =to Sita lakshhmaN^asyacha =and to Lakshmana.
“Oh,mother! You do not know that a great dismay is approaching now. It brings grief to you, to Sita and to Lakshmana”
gamiÿye daõýak˜raõyam kimanen˜sanena me |
viÿ÷ar˜sanayogyo hi k˜lo'yam m˜mupasthita× || 2-20-28
28. gamishhye =while going daN^dakaarNy^am =to Dandaka forest, kim =why anena =This seat me =for me? ayam = This kaalaH= time upasthitaH =has appeared, visTaraasanayogyaH= which is fit for a seat made of kusa grass.
“I am going to Dandaka forest. Why this seat for me? Time has come for me to sit on a seat made of Kusha grass.”
caturdaþa hi varÿ˜õi vatsy˜mi vijane vane |
madhu m¨la phalai× jŸvan hitv˜ munivad ˜miÿam || 2-20-29
29. vatsyaami =I shall live vane =in forest, vijane =bereft of people munivat =like sage chaturdasha =fourteen varshhaaNi =years hitvaa =leaving off aamishham =meat, jiivan =living madhu muulaphalaiH= with honey, roots and fruits.
“I shall live in a solitary forest like a sage for fourteen years, leaving off meat and living with roots, fruits and honey”.
bharat˜ya mah˜ r˜jo yauvar˜jyam prayaccati |
m˜m punar daõýaka araõyam viv˜sayati t˜pasam || 2-20-30
30. mahaarajaH= the great king prayachhati =is giving bharataaya =to Bharata youvaraajyam =the succession to kingdom. maam punaH = To me, however, taapasam =as a sage nivaasayati = making me stay daN^dakaaraNye =in forest
"The great king is giving to Bharata the succession to kingdom and to me, however, he is making me a sage to stay in the forest of Dandaka."
sa ÿ÷c˜aÿ÷au ca varÿ˜õi vatsy˜mi vijane vane |
˜sevam˜no vany˜ni phalam¨laiþca cartayan || 2-20-31
31. saH =such of myself, aasevamaanaH =has to satisfy vanyaani =with things existing in the forest, vartayam =live phala nuulai =with roots and fruits vatsyaami =reside in vijane vane =forest, of people shaTcha =ashhToucha =for fourteen varshhaaNi =years.
“I have to satisfy with the things existing in the forest and subsist with roots and fruits in a solitary forest for fourteen years.”
s˜ nik®ttaiva s˜lasya yaÿ÷i× paraþun˜ vane |
pap˜ta sahas˜ devŸ devateva divaþcyut˜ || 2-20-32
32. saa devii =That queen papaata =fell on floor sahasaa =all at once yashTiH iva =like the branch saalasya =of the tree nikRitta =cut down parashunaa =by axe vane =in the forest, devatena =as angel chyutaa =dropping down divaH= from heaven
The queen Kausalya fell on the floor all at once like the branch of a tree, cut down by an axe and as an angel dropping down from heaven.
t˜m aduhkha ucit˜m drÿ÷v˜ patit˜m kadalŸm iva |
r˜ma× tu utth˜pay˜m ˜sa m˜taram gata cetasam || 2-20-33
33. raamaH = Rama dR^ishTvaa =saw taam maataram =that mother aduHkhochitaam =who was fit to be from sorrow, utthaapayaamaasa =lifted up her gatachetanam =who lost consciousness, patitaam =who fell on the floor kadaLiimiva =like a plantain tree.
Seeing Kausalya who was fit to be free from sorrow, Rama lifted up her, who had fallen unconsciously on the floor like a plantain tree.
up˜vrtya utthit˜m dŸn˜m vaýav˜m iva v˜hit˜m |
p˜mþu guõ÷hita sarva agnŸm vimamarþa ca p˜õin˜ || 2-20-34
34. vi mamarsha =Rama touched paaNinaa =with hand diinaam =miserable Kausalya, paamsukuNThita sarvaaN^giim =whose limbs were covered with fragrant powder badamaamiva =like a female horse, vaahitaam =made to be carried of load, utthitaam =rose upaavR^ittya =after rolling from side to side.
Rama touched with his hand that miserable Kausalya,whose limbs were covered with fragrant powder and who rose like a loaded horse from the floor on which it rolled from side to side.
s˜ r˜ghavam up˜sŸnam asukha ˜rt˜ sukha ucit˜ |
uv˜ca puruÿa vy˜ghram upaþrõvati lakÿmaõe || 2-20-35
35. saa =That kausalya =sukhochita = who was fit for happiness asukhaartaa =but afflicted with sorrow, uvaacha =spoke raaghavam =to Rama purushhavyaaghram =the best of men upaasiinam =who was sitting nearby, lakshhmaN^e =while Lakshmana upashR^iNvati =was hearing.
Kausalya, who was fit for happiness but was afflicted with grief, spoke thus to Rama the best of men who was sitting nearby, while Lakshmana was hearing.
yadi putra na j˜yeth˜ mama þok˜ya r˜ghava |
na sma duhkham ata× bh¨ya× paþyeyam aham apraj˜ || 2-20-36
36. putra =oh,son! raaghavaa =Rama! jayethaaH yadi =If you were not born shokaaya =to cause grief mama =to me aham =I nasma pashyeyam =would not have seen bhuuyaH =greater duHkham =grief ataH =than this aprajaaH =without progeny.
“Oh, Rama! I would not have felt this much grief if I were childless .You are born only to produce sorrow to me.”
ekaeva hi vandhy˜y˜× þoko bhavati m˜nava× |
apraj˜ asmi iti samt˜po na hi anya× putra vidyate || 2-20-37
37. putra =Oh,son! na vidyate =There is no anyaH =other santaapaH =grief vandhyaayaaH =to a barren women bhavati hi =There is indeed ekaH =one shokaH eva =only grief maanasaH =relating to mind iti =that asmi aprajaaH “I have no children”
“Oh, son! There is no other grief to a barren woman except the only worry that “I have no sons”.
na drÿ÷a p¨rvam kaly˜õam sukham v˜ pati pauruÿe |
api putre vipaþyeyam iti r˜ma ˜sthitam may˜ || 2-20-38
38. raamaH=oh, Rama na dR^ishTa puurvam = earlier was not seen sukham vaa = happiness or kalyaaNam =prospering pate pourushhe =during my husband’s manliness. asthitam =It was believed mayaa =by me iti =that api pashyeyam =can I see putre_api =at least in my son
“Oh, Rama! I have not seen any happiness or prosperity earlier, while my husband is in power. I believed that I could see them at last when my son comes to power.”
s˜ bah¨ni amanojñ˜ni v˜ky˜ni hrdayaccid˜m |
aham þroÿye sapatnŸn˜m avar˜õ˜m var˜ satŸ || 2-20-39
39. saa aham =such a person as myself, varaa satii =who is a better and virtuous wife, bahuuni =so many amaroG^Yaani =disagreeable vaakyaani =words sapatniinaam = of fellow wives, avaraaNaam =who are inferior to me, hR^idayachhidaam =who pierce the heart.
“I have to hear so many disagreeable words from my fellow-wives who are inferior to me and who pierce my heart with their words though I am a better and virtuous wife among them.”
ata× duhkhataram kim nu pramad˜n˜m bhaviÿyati |
tvayi samnihite api evam aham ˜sam nir˜krt˜ || 2-20-40
40. kim nu =which one bhavishhyati =will be duHkhataram =more sorrowful pramadaanaam =to women ataH =than yaadR^ishaH =which -anantakaH =unending vilaapashcha =and dissolving shokaH= grief mama =to me
“Which one will be more sorrowful to women than this unending and consuming grief that occurred to me now?”
tvayi sannihite'pyevamaham˜saÕ nir˜k®t˜ |
kim puna× proÿite t˜ta dhruvam maraõam eva me || 2-20-41
41. taata =Oh, father(a term of affection addressed to a junior) tvayi sannihite api =Even when you are nearby, aham =I niraakR^itaa aasam =was rejected evam =thus kim punaH =what to tell proshhite =when you go to exile. maraNam =death dhR^ivam is certain me =to me
“Even when you are near by, I am being rejected. What to tell after you leave for exile? Death indeed is certain to me.”
atyantanig®hŸt˜smi bharturnitymatantrit˜ |
pariv˜reõa kaikeyy˜ sam˜ v˜pyathav˜'var˜ || 2-20-42
42. asmi =Iam, nityam ;always atyanta nigR^ihiitaa =held down heaving bhartuH =by husband, atantritaa =without independence samaava =equal to athavaa =or avaraa =lower than parivaareNa =servants kaikeyyaaH= of Kaikeyi
“My husband always held me down, without giving me any independence and treat me equal to or even lower than the servants of Kaikeyi”
yo hi m˜m sevate kaþcit atha v˜ api anuvartate |
kaikeyy˜× putram anvŸkÿya sa jano na abhibh˜ÿate || 2-20-43
43. yaH =kashchit =Anyone whatsoever sevate =serves maam =me athava =or anuvartate =follows saHjanaH =that person na abhibhaashhate hi=will not indeed speak anviikshhya =after seeing kaikeyyaaH= Kaikeyi’s putram =son
Those who serve me now and those who follow me, will not speak to me, after seeing Bharata”.
nityakrodhatay˜ tasy˜× kathaÕ nu kharav˜di tat |
kaikeyy˜ vadanam draÿ÷um putra þakÿy˜mi durgat˜ || 2-20-44
44. putra =oh, son! durgataa=Myself, the miserable one! katham nu = how shakshhyaami =can I be able drashhTum =to see adanam =face tasyaaH kaikeyyaaH =of that Kaikeyi khara vaadi =who talks hurtingly nitya krodhatayaa ;because of the continuous anger
Oh, son! How can I, the miserable one, see the face of Kaikeyi who talks hurtingly because of her continuous anger.”
daþa sapta ca varÿ˜õi tava j˜tasya r˜ghava |
asit˜ni prak˜nkÿanty˜ may˜ duhkha parikÿayam || 2-20-45
45. raaghava =Oh, Rama! aasitaani =sat down mayaa =by me dasha saptacha =for seventeen varshhaa Ni =years tava jaatasya =after your second birth of your thread ceremony praakaaNkshhantyaa =with hope of duHkha parikshhantyaam =disappearance of troubles
“Oh,Rama! I have been waiting for seventeen years after your second birth of thread ceremony, with the hope that my troubles will disappear at one time or the other.”
tadakÿayam mah˜ddu×kham notsahe sahitum ciram |
viprak˜ram sapatnŸn˜mevam jŸrõ˜pi r˜ghava || 2-20-46
46. raaghava =oh, Rama! tat =for that reason, evam =in the way jiir Naapi =even if old aged, notsahe =I do not wish sahitum =to bear viprakaaram =insult sapatniinaam =of co-wives, akshhayam =un-ending mahat =great du Hkham =sorrow chiram =for long time
Oh, Rama! In this old age, I cannot bear insult from co-wives and this unending sorrow for a long time.
apaþyantŸ tava mukham parip¨rõaþaþiprabham |
k®paõ˜ vartayiÿy˜mi katham k®paõajŸvik˜m || 2-20-47
47. katham =How kR^ipaNaa =the pitiable me, vartayishhyaami =can roll on kR^ipaNa jiivikaam =this miserable life apashhyantii =without seeing tava =your mukham =face, paripuurNa sashiprabham =radiating like full moon
“How can I the pitiable one, spend this miserable life without seeing your face radiating like full moon.”
upav˜sai× ca yogai× ca bahubhi× ca pariþramai× |
duhkham samvardhita× mogham tvam hi durgatay˜ may˜ || 2-20-48
48. tvam =you samvardhitaH =were nourished mogham =in vain mayaa =by me durgatayaa =the unfortunate one, upavaasaishcha =and painful voes.
“You were nourished in vain by me ,the important one by fasts, by meditations, by various difficult and painful vows .”
sthiram tu h®dayam manye mama idam yan na dŸryate |
pr˜v®ÿi iva mah˜ nady˜× sp®ÿ÷am k¨lam nava ambhas˜ || 2-20-49
49. idam =This, mama =my hR^idayam =heart yat =for which reason na diiryate =is not breached kuulam iva =like bank mahaanadyaa =of great river spR^ishhTam =struck navaam bhasaa =by new water praavR^ishhi =in rainy season, manye =I think it sthhiram =as strong.
“My heart is not breached, as bank of a great river, struck by new water in monsoon, by hearing this news.That is why, I feel it is strong.”
mama eva n¨nam maraõam na vidyate |
na ca avak˜þo asti yama kÿaye mama |
yad antako adya eva na m˜m jihŸrÿati |
prasahya simho rudatŸm mrgŸm iva || 2-20-50
50. na vidyate =There is no maraNam =death naasti =There is no nuunam =indeed. avakaashaH= place, mama =to me yamakshhaye =in the abode of yama. yat =for which reason, antakaH= yama, the god of death najihiirshhati =is not wishing to carry off maam =me adyaiva =now itself prasahya =forcibly.
“There is no death to me, indeed .I have no place in the abode of god yama who presides over the spirits of the dead .That is why, Yama is not forcingly carrying me off like a lion carrying off a wailing antelope.”
sthiram hi n¨nam h®dayam mama ˜yasam |
na bhidyate yad bhuvi na avadŸryate |
anena du×khena ca deham arpitam |
dhruvam hi ak˜le maraõam na vidyate || 2-20-51
51. anena duHkhena = By the grief, deham = body arpitam =is pierced. nuunam =Indeed mama =my hR^idayam =heart sthhiram =which is hard aayasam =is made of iron. yat =for which reason na bhidyate =it is not broken naavadiiryate =it has not fallen into pieces, bhuvi =on the floor na vidyate =There is no akaale =untimely =maraNam =death dhR^ivam =It is certain.
“This grief is inserted into my body. Even then, my heart is stable. It has not broken into pieces and fallen on the floor .It is indeed made of iron. There is no untimely death, it is certain”
idam tu du×kham yad anarthak˜ni me|
vrat˜ni d˜n˜ni ca samyam˜× ca hi |
tapa× ca taptam yad apatya k˜raõ˜t |
suniÿphalam bŸjam iva uptam ¨ÿare || 2-20-52
52. idam =This is duHkham =sad anarthakaaniiti =to speak about waste of me =my vrataani =religious voes daanaamicha =charities samyamaashcha =and restraints. yat =which tapaH =austerity taptam =is performed apatya kaaraNaat =for the sake of offspring, sunishhphalam =is completely in vain biijam iva =as seed uptam =sown uushhare =in saline soil.
“I feel bad since all my religious vows, charities, restraints have all gone waste.The austerity I performed for the sake of of –spring has gone in vain, as a seed sown in a saline soil.”
yadi hi ak˜le maraõam svay˜ iccay˜ |
labheta kaþcit guru du×kha karþita× |
gat˜ aham adya eva pareta samsadam |
vin˜ tvay˜ dhenur iva ˜tmajena vai || 2-20-53
53. kaschit =If a person guruduHkhakarshitaH =in great distress labheta yadi =can get akaale =premature maraNam =death svayaa =ichchhayaa =out of his own will, aham =I gataa =would have got pareta sampadam =glory of the dead adyaiva =now itself tvayaa vinaa= without you dhenuriva =like cow aatmajenavina =without calf
“If a man in great distress can get premature death out of his own will, I being separated from you ,would have attain the glory of the dead now itself like cow without the calf.”
ath˜pi kim jŸvita madya me v®th˜ |
tvay˜ vin˜ cndranibh˜nanaprabha |
anuvrajiÿy˜mi vanam tvayaiva gau× |
sudurbal˜ vatsamiv˜nuk˜ðkÿay˜ || 2-20-54
54. athaapi =Moreover, chandranibhaanana prabha =oh, Rama! With your brilliant face shining like moon! kim =what me =my jiivitam =life tvayaavinaa =without you! vR^ithaa =waste indeed. adya =Now anuvrajishhyaami =Ican accompany tvayaiva =you only vanam =to the forest, vatsam iva =like with calf sudurbalaa = a completely weak cow gouH =cow anukaaNkshhayaa =with compassion
“Moreover, what is the use of life? Oh, Rama! With your brilliant face shining like moon! My life is useless without you. I shall accompany you to the forest like a weak cow going behind it’s calf”
bh®þam asukham amarÿit˜ tad˜ |
bahu vilal˜pa samŸkÿya r˜ghavam |
vyasanam upaniþ˜mya s˜ mahat |
sutam iva baddham avekÿya kimnarŸ || 2-20-55
55. tadaa =Then, saa =that Kausalya samiikshhya =looked at raaghavam =Rama, upanishaamya =beholden with mahat =great vyasanam =calamity, avekshhya =saw sutam =son badhham =tied up, vilaapa =lamented bhR^isham =very much bahu =in many ways asukham =uneasily amarshhitaa =with anger kinnariiva =like kinnara woman.
Then, that Kausalya looked at Rama to whom a great calamity has occurred, saw her son bound by grief and lamented very much in various ways like a kinnara woman.
|| ity˜rÿe þrŸmadr˜m˜yaõe ˜dik˜vye ayodhy˜k˜õýe vimþa×
Thus completes the twentieth canto of Ayodhya Kanda in srimad Ramayana.
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© 1999, K. M. K. Murthy