Book II : Ayodhya Kanda - Book Of Ayodhya
Rama approaches his mother Kausalya to inform her of the calamity. Kausalya on hearing the news, faints. On recovering, she laments in the most grevious tones to Rama.
tasmimstu purushhvyaaghre nishhkraamati kR^itaaJNjalau |
aartashacdo mahaan jajJNe striiNaama ntaHpure tadaa || 2-20-1
1. tadaa =Then; tasmin = that Rama; purushha vyaaaghre = the best of men; nishhkraamati = While leaving; kR^itaanjalou= after offering salutation; sriiNaam= among women; antaHpura= in the palace; jajJNe = there was; mahaan =great aartashsbdaH =cry of pain.
While Rama, the best of men was leaving, after offering salutation to his father, women in the palace were weaping loudly.
kR^tyeshhvachoditaH pitraa sarvasyaantaH purasya cha |
gatiryaH sharaNam chaasiit sa roomo.adya pravatsyati || 2-20-2
2. yaH= which Rama; achoditaH= without being prompted; pitraa =by father kR^ityeshhu =in actions; aasiit =became; gatiH= the recourse; sharaNamcha =and protector; sarvasya= to entire; anta purasya =palace; saH raamaH =such Rama; pravatsyati =is going to exile; adya =now.
Which Rama, without being told by his father, used to do necessary activities and protect the entire palace, is about to go to exile now”.
kausalyaayaam yathaa yukto jananyaam vartate sadaa |
tathaiva vartate.asmaasu janmaprabhR^iti raaghavaH || 2-20-3
3. raaghavaH= Rama; janma prabhR^iti =since he was born; vartate =was behaving; tathaiva =in the same way; asmaasu =towards us; yathaa =as how; yuktaH =attentive; sadaa =always; kausalyaam =towards Kausalya; jananyaam =who was the mother.
“Rama, since he was born, was showing the same attention to us, as he was showing to his mother Kausalya.”
na krudhyatyabhishasto.api krodhaniiyaani varjayan |
kR^iddhaan prasaadayan sarvaan sa ito.adya pravatsyati || 2-20-4
4.varjayan= used to avoid; krodhayaani =actions which created anger; prasaadayani =soothed; sarvaan =all; kruddhaan =who were angry; na kruddhyati =was not furious; abhishasto api= even if abused; saH= Such Rama Pravatsyati = is going to exile; adya =to day; itaH = from here.
“He used to avoid actions which created anger and soothed all those who were angry. Rama was not furious with those who abused him. Such Rama is going today to exile.”
abhuddhirbata no raajaa jiivalokam charatyayam |
yo gatim sarvabhuutaanaam parityajati raaghavam || 2-20-5
5. yaH= Which Dasaratha parityajati =by abonding raaghavam =Rama gatim =who was helpful sarvabhuutaanaam =to all beings ayam =this naH rajahaa = our king abuddhiH= who is stupid, charati =is offending jiivalokam =all beings.”
“Our stupid king by abandoning Rama who was helpful to all beings , is offending all the beings.”
iti sarvaa mahishhyastaa vivatsaa iva dhenavaH |
patimaachukrushushchaiva sasvaram chaapi chukrushuH || 2-20-6
6. iti =Thus sarvaaH= all taaH =those mahishhaH =king’s consorts chukrushuHcha api =were weaping sasvaram =with sound, dhenavaH =who lost their calves aachukrushushcha eva =also abused patim =husband.
Thus, all the king consorts while weaping loudly, as cows which lost their Calves, abused their husband .
sa hi chaantaH pure ghoramaartashabdham mahiipatiH |
putrashokaabhisantaptaH shrutvaa vyaaliiyataasane || 2-20-7
7. shrutva =After hearing aarta shabdam =the distressful sounds yhoram =which was horrible, antaHpura =in the palace mahiipatiH= king Dasaratha vyaaliiyata =clung, aasane =to the seat putra shokaabhisantaptaH =with extreme anguish for his son.
After hearing the terrific distressful crying sounds in the palace, Dasaratha clung to the seat, with extreme anguish for his son.
raamaH tu bhRsham aayastaH nihshvasann iva kunjaraH |
jagaama sahitaH bhraatraa maatur antaH puram vashii || 2-20-8
8. raamastu =Rama, be it so, bhRisham =greatly aayastaH =hurt, niHshvasan =sighed kuN^jaraHiva =like elephant, vashii =subdued the senses jagaama =went antaHpuram =to the palace maatuH =of mother bhraatraa sahitaH =along with brother.
Rama, who was greatly hurt, sighed like an elephant, subdued his senses and went to his mother’s palace along with Lakshmana
so apashyat puruSam tatra vRddham parama puujitam |
upaviSTam gRha dvaari tiSThataH ca aparaan bahuun || 2-20-9
9. saH =Rama apashyat =saw parama puujitam =much-worshipped vriddham purusham =old man upavishTam =sitting gR^ihadvaari =at the gateway, bahuum =many aparaamshcha =others tishTataH= standing tatra =there.
Rama saw a much worshipped old man sitting at the gateway of the house and many other standing there.
dR^shhTvai tu tadaa raamaM te sarve sahasotthitaaH |
jayena jayataam shreshhTham vardhayanti sma raaghavam || 2-20-10
10. tadaa =Then, dR^iTvaiva =after seeing raamam =Rama te sarve =all of them utthitaaH =rose up sahasaa =quickly vardhayantisma =exhilarating their spirits jayena =by uttering “Hail! Glory!” raaghavam =to Rama jayatam shreshTam =the most triumphant man.
After seeing Rama, all of them rose quickly and greeted Rama the most triumphant man, by uttering the words “May you have increased success!”
pravishya prathamaam kakSyaam dvitiiyaayaam dadarsha saH |
braahmaNaan veda sampannaan vRddhaan raaj~naa abhisatkRtaan || 2-20-11
11. saH =That Rama pravishya =entered prathamaam kakshyaam =the first enclosure, dadarsha =saw dvitiiyaam =at the second gate vriddhaaan =old braahmaNaan =brahmanas, veda sampannaan =perfect in Vedas abhisatkRitaan =honoured raaGyaa =by king.
Rama crossed the first gate and saw old Brahmanas who were perfect in Vedas and duly honoured by the king.
praNamya raamaH taan vRddhaams tRtiiyaayaam dadarsha saH |
striyo vRddhaaH ca baalaaH ca dvaara rakSaNa tatparaaH || 2-20-12
12. raamaH =Rama pranamya =saluted taan =those vipraan =brahmanas, dadarsha =saw vR^iddhaaH =old striyaH= women tathaa =and balaaH =girls dvaara rakshaNa tatparaaH =who were interested in guarding the gate tR^itiiyaayaam =the third enclosure.
Rama offered salutation to those brahmanas and saw old women and girls, guarding the gate in the third enclosure.
vardhayitvaa prahRSTaaH taaH pravishya ca gRham striyaH |
nyavedayanta tvaritaa raama maatuH priyam tadaa || 2-20-13
13. tadaa =Then taaH =those striyaH =women, prahR^ishTaaH =having been glad, vardhayatvaa =greeted Rama with word of success, tvaritaaH= quickly pravishya= entered gR^iham =house, nyavedayasta =informed raamamaatuH =Kausalya, the mother of Rama priyam =the pleasing news.
Then those women, having been delighted, greeted Rama with good word of success, quickly entered the house and informed Kausalya about the lovely arrival of Rama .
kausalyaa api tadaa devii raatrim sthitvaa samaahitaa |
prabhaate tu akarot puujaam viSNoh putra hita eSiNii || 2-20-14
14. tadaa =at that time, kausalyaa =Kausalya sthitvaa =having stayed samaahitaa =steadfast raatrim =all the night, akarot =performed pujaam =worship vishhnoH =to Vishnu prabhaate =at dawn putrahi taishhiNii =for the welfare of the son.
At that time, Kausalya having spent the whole night with steadfastness, who performing worship to Vishnu,at dawn, for the welfare of her son.
saa kSauma vasanaa hRSTaa nityam vrata paraayaNaa |
agnim juhoti sma tadaa mantravat kRta mangalaa || 2-20-15
15. saa =Kausalya vrata paraayaNaa = who was interested to pracise religious vows nityam =regularly, kshhouma vesanaa =was wearing white silk sari kR^ita maN^galaa =made up of auspiciousness, hR^ishhTaa =thrilling with rapture, juhotisma =was doing sacrificial ceremony agnim =in fire mantravat =reciting vedic hymns.
Kausalya, who was interested to practise religious vows regularly was appearing auspiciously by wearing a white silk sari and gladly performing sacrificial ceremony in a sacred fire, by reciting vedic hymns.
pravishya ca tadaa raamaH maatur antaH puram shubham |
dadarsha maataram tatra haavayantiim huta ashanam || 2-20-16
16. tadaa =Then raAmaH =Rama provishya =entered shubham =auspicious maatuH antaHpuram = mother’s apartment, dadarsha =saw maataram = mother haavayantiim =performing sacrificial ceremony hutaashanam =in sacred fire tatra =there.
Then Rama entered the auspicious mother’s apartment and saw his mother performing sacrificial ceremony in sacred fire there.
devakaaryanimittam cha tatraapashyat samudyatam|
dadhyakshatam ghR^itam chaiva modakaan havishhastadaa || 2-20-17
laajaan maalyaani shuklaani paayasam kR^isaram tathaa |
samidhaH puurNakumbhaamshchha dadarsha raghunamdanaH || 2-20-18
17,18. tatra =There, raghunandanaH= Rama apashyat =saw samudyatam =articles of worship kept ready devakaaryanimiHam =for the purpose of sacred ceremony, dadhyakshhatam = curd,unbroken rice, gR^itam chaiva =clarified butter modakaan =sweet meats, tathaa =and havishhaH= things fit for oblation laajaan= fried grain, shuklaani =white maalyaani =garlands, paayasam =rice boiled in milk, kR^isaram =mixture of rice and peas with a few spices, samidhaH =sacrificial sticks puurNa kumbhaashcha =vessels full of water.
There, Rama saw the articles of worship kept ready for the purpose of the sacred ceremony like curd, unbroken rice, clarified butter, sweet meats, things fit for oblation, fried grain, garlands made of white flowers, rice boiled in milk, mixture of rice and peas with a few spices, sacrificial sticks, vessels full of water etc.
taam shuklakshaumasamviitaam vratayogena karshitaam |
tarpayantiim dadarshaadbhiH devataam devavarNiniim || 2-20-19
19. dadarsha =saw taam =Kausalya shukla kshhouma samviitaam =who was wearing white silk sari, karshitaam =became lean vratayogena =because of observance of vow, deva varNiniim =having appearance of an angel devataam =gods abdhiH =with water.
Kausalya, who became lean because of observance of vows, was shining like an angel with her white silk sari and was satiating gods by presenting to them libations by water.
saa cirasya aatmajam dRSTvaa maatR nandanam aagatam |
abhicakraama samhRSTaa kishoram vaDavaa yathaa || 2-20-20
20. dr^ishTvaa =by seeing aatmajam =her son, aagatam =who came chirasya =after a long time, maatR^i nandanam = who gave delight to his mother, saa =Kausalya samhRishhTaa =was glad abhichakrama =approached, by moving in front, kishoram yathaa =like a young colt, badabaa =by a female horse.
By seeing her son who came after a long time and who gave delight to mother, Kausalya was pleased and approached towards him, like a female horse approaching her young colt.
sa maataramabhikraantaamupasamgR^ihya raaghavaH |
parishhvaktashcha baahubhyaamupaagraatashcha muurdhani || 2-20-21
21. raamaH =Rama upa samgR^ihya =offered salutation by touching the feet abhikraantam =of approaching maataram =mother, parishhvaktaH= was embraced baahubhyaam =by her arms, upaaghraatashcha =was smelt muurdhani =in his head.
Rama offered salutation to the approaching mother by touching her feet. Then, she took him into her arms and smelt his head.
tam uvaaca duraadharSam raaghavam sutam aatmanaH |
kausalyaa putra vaatsalyaat idam priya hitam vacaH || 2-20-22
22. kausalya =Kausalya vuvaacha =spoke idam =these priyahitham =pleasing and salutary vachaH =words putravaatsalyaat =due to affection on son aatmanaH= her sutam =son tam raaghavam =that Rama duraadharshham =who was unassailable
Kausalya spoke these pleasing words affectionately to her son Rama, who was unassailable by enemies.
vRddhaanaam dharma shiilaanaam raajarSiiNaam mahaatmanaam |
praapnuhi aayuH ca kiirtim ca dharmam ca upahitam kule || 2-20-23
23. praapnuhi =obtain aayushcha =long life, kiirtimeha =glory, dharmamcha =and duty upahitam =engrained kule =in your race, vriddhaanam =as with the aged, dharmashhiilaanaam =the great souled, raajarshhiiNaam =the rayol sages.
“Obtain long life and glory, as obtained by the aged , the virtuous, the great souled and the royal sages .Protect the righteousness engrained in your race”
satya pratij~nam pitaram raajaanam pashya raaghava |
adya eva hi tvaam dharma aatmaa yauvaraajye abhiSekSyati || 2-20-24
24. raaghava =Oh, Rama! pashya = see raajaanam =the king pitaram =your father, satya pratiG^yam =who is having true promise adyaiva =Today itself, dharmaatmaa =that virtuous man abhishhekshhyati =will install tvaam =you youvaraajye =as successor to kingdom.
“Oh,Rama ! King Dasaratha ,your father is a man of true promise. Today itself, you will be installed as successor to the kingdom by your virtuous father.”
dattamaasanamaalabhya bhojanena nimantritaH |
maataram raaghavaH kimcit prasaarya anjalim abraviit || 2-20-25
25. raaghavaH =Rama nimantritaH= was called bhojanena =for food, aalabhya =touched aasanam =the seat dattam =offered, prasaarya =raised kinchit =slightly aNjalim =joined palms, abraviit =spoke maataram =to mother.
Kausalya asked Rama to take food , but Rama just touched the seat offered by her and after performing salutation to her, spoke thus to his mother.
sa svabhaava viniitaH ca gauravaac ca tadaa aanataH |
prasthito daNDakaaraNyamaaprashhTumupachakrame || 2-20-26
26. tadaa =Then saH =that Rama , svabhaava viniitashcha =being humble in nature, nataHcha =and modest gouravaat =due to respect for mother, prasthtaH =setting fourth journey daNd^akaaraNy^am =to Dandaka forest, upakrame =was set about aaprasTum =to seek permission.
That Rama , being humble in nature , became still modest due to respect for his mother and was set about to ask her permission before setting forth his journey to Dandaka forest.
devi nuunam na jaaniiSe mahad bhayam upasthitam |
idam tava ca duhkhaaya vaidehyaa lakSmaNasya ca || 2-20-27
27. devii =oh, mother! na jaaniishhe =you do not know mahat =-great bhayam =dismay upasthitam =is approaching nuunam =indeed. idam =This duHkhaaya =brings grief tavaacha =to you , vaidehyaa =to Sita lakshhmaN^asyacha =and to Lakshmana.
“Oh,mother! You do not know that a great dismay is approaching now. It brings grief to you, to Sita and to Lakshmana”
gamishhye daNDakaaraNyam kimanenaasanena me |
vishhTaraasanayogyo hi kaalo.ayam maamupasthitaH || 2-20-28
28. gamishhye =while going daN^dakaarNy^am =to Dandaka forest, kim =why anena =This seat me =for me? ayam = This kaalaH= time upasthitaH =has appeared, visTaraasanayogyaH= which is fit for a seat made of kusa grass.
“I am going to Dandaka forest. Why this seat for me? Time has come for me to sit on a seat made of Kusha grass.”
caturdasha hi varSaaNi vatsyaami vijane vane |
madhu muula phalaiH jiivan hitvaa munivad aamiSam || 2-20-29
29. vatsyaami =I shall live vane =in forest, vijane =bereft of people munivat =like sage chaturdasha =fourteen varshhaaNi =years hitvaa =leaving off aamishham =meat, jiivan =living madhu muulaphalaiH= with honey, roots and fruits.
“I shall live in a solitary forest like a sage for fourteen years, leaving off meat and living with roots, fruits and honey”.
bharataaya mahaa raajo yauvaraajyam prayacchati |
maam punar daNDaka araNyam vivaasayati taapasam || 2-20-30
30. mahaarajaH= the great king prayachhati =is giving bharataaya =to Bharata youvaraajyam =the succession to kingdom. maam punaH = To me, however, taapasam =as a sage nivaasayati = making me stay daN^dakaaraNye =in forest
"The great king is giving to Bharata the succession to kingdom and to me, however, he is making me a sage to stay in the forest of Dandaka."
sa shhTchaaashhTau cha varshhaaNi vatsyaami vijane vane |
aasevamaano vanyaani phalamuulaishcha cartayan || 2-20-31
31. saH =such of myself, aasevamaanaH =has to satisfy vanyaani =with things existing in the forest, vartayam =live phala nuulai =with roots and fruits vatsyaami =reside in vijane vane =forest, of people shaTcha =ashhToucha =for fourteen varshhaaNi =years.
“I have to satisfy with the things existing in the forest and subsist with roots and fruits in a solitary forest for fourteen years.”
saa nikR^ittaiva saalasya yashhTiH parashunaa vane |
papaata sahasaa devii devateva divashchyutaa || 2-20-32
32. saa devii =That queen papaata =fell on floor sahasaa =all at once yashTiH iva =like the branch saalasya =of the tree nikRitta =cut down parashunaa =by axe vane =in the forest, devatena =as angel chyutaa =dropping down divaH= from heaven
The queen Kausalya fell on the floor all at once like the branch of a tree, cut down by an axe and as an angel dropping down from heaven.
taam aduhkha ucitaam dRSTvaa patitaam kadaliim iva |
raamaH tu utthaapayaam aasa maataram gata cetasam || 2-20-33
33. raamaH = Rama dR^ishTvaa =saw taam maataram =that mother aduHkhochitaam =who was fit to be from sorrow, utthaapayaamaasa =lifted up her gatachetanam =who lost consciousness, patitaam =who fell on the floor kadaLiimiva =like a plantain tree.
Seeing Kausalya who was fit to be free from sorrow, Rama lifted up her, who had fallen unconsciously on the floor like a plantain tree.
upaavRtya utthitaam diinaam vaDavaam iva vaahitaam |
paamshu guNThita sarva agniim vimamarsha ca paaNinaa || 2-20-34
34. vi mamarsha =Rama touched paaNinaa =with hand diinaam =miserable Kausalya, paamsukuNThita sarvaaN^giim =whose limbs were covered with fragrant powder badamaamiva =like a female horse, vaahitaam =made to be carried of load, utthitaam =rose upaavR^ittya =after rolling from side to side.
Rama touched with his hand that miserable Kausalya,whose limbs were covered with fragrant powder and who rose like a loaded horse from the floor on which it rolled from side to side.
saa raaghavam upaasiinam asukha aartaa sukha ucitaa |
uvaaca puruSa vyaaghram upashRNvati lakSmaNe || 2-20-35
35. saa =That kausalya =sukhochita = who was fit for happiness asukhaartaa =but afflicted with sorrow, uvaacha =spoke raaghavam =to Rama purushhavyaaghram =the best of men upaasiinam =who was sitting nearby, lakshhmaN^e =while Lakshmana upashR^iNvati =was hearing.
Kausalya, who was fit for happiness but was afflicted with grief, spoke thus to Rama the best of men who was sitting nearby, while Lakshmana was hearing.
yadi putra na jaayethaa mama shokaaya raaghava |
na sma duhkham ataH bhuuyaH pashyeyam aham aprajaa || 2-20-36
36. putra =oh,son! raaghavaa =Rama! jayethaaH yadi =If you were not born shokaaya =to cause grief mama =to me aham =I nasma pashyeyam =would not have seen bhuuyaH =greater duHkham =grief ataH =than this aprajaaH =without progeny.
“Oh, Rama! I would not have felt this much grief if I were childless .You are born only to produce sorrow to me.”
ekaeva hi vandhyaayaaH shoko bhavati maanavaH |
aprajaa asmi iti samtaapo na hi anyaH putra vidyate || 2-20-37
37. putra =Oh,son! na vidyate =There is no anyaH =other santaapaH =grief vandhyaayaaH =to a barren women bhavati hi =There is indeed ekaH =one shokaH eva =only grief maanasaH =relating to mind iti =that asmi aprajaaH “I have no children”
“Oh, son! There is no other grief to a barren woman except the only worry that “I have no sons”.
na dRSTa puurvam kalyaaNam sukham vaa pati pauruSe |
api putre vipashyeyam iti raama aasthitam mayaa || 2-20-38
38. raamaH=oh, Rama na dR^ishTa puurvam = earlier was not seen sukham vaa = happiness or kalyaaNam =prospering pate pourushhe =during my husband’s manliness. asthitam =It was believed mayaa =by me iti =that api pashyeyam =can I see putre_api =at least in my son
“Oh, Rama! I have not seen any happiness or prosperity earlier, while my husband is in power. I believed that I could see them at last when my son comes to power.”
saa bahuuni amanoj~naani vaakyaani hRdayacchidaam |
aham shroSye sapatniinaam avaraaNaam varaa satii || 2-20-39
39. saa aham =such a person as myself, varaa satii =who is a better and virtuous wife, bahuuni =so many amaroG^Yaani =disagreeable vaakyaani =words sapatniinaam = of fellow wives, avaraaNaam =who are inferior to me, hR^idayachhidaam =who pierce the heart.
“I have to hear so many disagreeable words from my fellow-wives who are inferior to me and who pierce my heart with their words though I am a better and virtuous wife among them.”
ataH duhkhataram kim nu pramadaanaam bhaviSyati |
tvayi samnihite api evam aham aasam niraakRtaa || 2-20-40
40. kim nu =which one bhavishhyati =will be duHkhataram =more sorrowful pramadaanaam =to women ataH =than yaadR^ishaH =which -anantakaH =unending vilaapashcha =and dissolving shokaH= grief mama =to me
“Which one will be more sorrowful to women than this unending and consuming grief that occurred to me now?”
tvayi sannihite.apyevamahamaasaM niraakR^itaa |
kim punaH proSite taata dhruvam maraNam eva me || 2-20-41
41. taata =Oh, father(a term of affection addressed to a junior) tvayi sannihite api =Even when you are nearby, aham =I niraakR^itaa aasam =was rejected evam =thus kim punaH =what to tell proshhite =when you go to exile. maraNam =death dhR^ivam is certain me =to me
“Even when you are near by, I am being rejected. What to tell after you leave for exile? Death indeed is certain to me.”
atyantanigR^ihiitaasmi bharturnitymatantritaa |
parivaareNa kaikeyyaa samaa vaapyathavaa.avaraa || 2-20-42
42. asmi =Iam, nityam ;always atyanta nigR^ihiitaa =held down heaving bhartuH =by husband, atantritaa =without independence samaava =equal to athavaa =or avaraa =lower than parivaareNa =servants kaikeyyaaH= of Kaikeyi
“My husband always held me down, without giving me any independence and treat me equal to or even lower than the servants of Kaikeyi”
yo hi maam sevate kashcit atha vaa api anuvartate |
kaikeyyaaH putram anviikSya sa jano na abhibhaaSate || 2-20-43
43. yaH =kashchit =Anyone whatsoever sevate =serves maam =me athava =or anuvartate =follows saHjanaH =that person na abhibhaashhate hi=will not indeed speak anviikshhya =after seeing kaikeyyaaH= Kaikeyi’s putram =son
Those who serve me now and those who follow me, will not speak to me, after seeing Bharata”.
nityakrodhatayaa tasyaaH kathaM nu kharavaadi tat |
kaikeyyaa vadanam drashhTum putra shakshyaami durgataa || 2-20-44
44. putra =oh, son! durgataa=Myself, the miserable one! katham nu = how shakshhyaami =can I be able drashhTum =to see adanam =face tasyaaH kaikeyyaaH =of that Kaikeyi khara vaadi =who talks hurtingly nitya krodhatayaa ;because of the continuous anger
Oh, son! How can I, the miserable one, see the face of Kaikeyi who talks hurtingly because of her continuous anger.”
dasha sapta ca varSaaNi tava jaatasya raaghava |
asitaani prakaankSantyaa mayaa duhkha parikSayam || 2-20-45
45. raaghava =Oh, Rama! aasitaani =sat down mayaa =by me dasha saptacha =for seventeen varshhaa Ni =years tava jaatasya =after your second birth of your thread ceremony praakaaNkshhantyaa =with hope of duHkha parikshhantyaam =disappearance of troubles
“Oh,Rama! I have been waiting for seventeen years after your second birth of thread ceremony, with the hope that my troubles will disappear at one time or the other.”
tadakshayam mahaadduHkham notsahe sahitum chiram |
viprakaaram sapatniinaamevam jiirNaapi raaghava || 2-20-46
46. raaghava =oh, Rama! tat =for that reason, evam =in the way jiir Naapi =even if old aged, notsahe =I do not wish sahitum =to bear viprakaaram =insult sapatniinaam =of co-wives, akshhayam =un-ending mahat =great du Hkham =sorrow chiram =for long time
Oh, Rama! In this old age, I cannot bear insult from co-wives and this unending sorrow for a long time.
apashyantii tava mukham paripuurNashashiprabham |
kR^ipaNaa vartayishhyaami katham kR^ipaNajiivikaam || 2-20-47
47. katham =How kR^ipaNaa =the pitiable me, vartayishhyaami =can roll on kR^ipaNa jiivikaam =this miserable life apashhyantii =without seeing tava =your mukham =face, paripuurNa sashiprabham =radiating like full moon
“How can I the pitiable one, spend this miserable life without seeing your face radiating like full moon.”
upavaasaiH ca yogaiH ca bahubhiH ca parishramaiH |
duhkham samvardhitaH mogham tvam hi durgatayaa mayaa || 2-20-48
48. tvam =you samvardhitaH =were nourished mogham =in vain mayaa =by me durgatayaa =the unfortunate one, upavaasaishcha =and painful voes.
“You were nourished in vain by me ,the important one by fasts, by meditations, by various difficult and painful vows .”
sthiram tu hR^idayam manye mama idam yan na diiryate |
praavR^iSi iva mahaa nadyaaH spR^iSTam kuulam nava ambhasaa || 2-20-49
49. idam =This, mama =my hR^idayam =heart yat =for which reason na diiryate =is not breached kuulam iva =like bank mahaanadyaa =of great river spR^ishhTam =struck navaam bhasaa =by new water praavR^ishhi =in rainy season, manye =I think it sthhiram =as strong.
“My heart is not breached, as bank of a great river, struck by new water in monsoon, by hearing this news.That is why, I feel it is strong.”
mama eva nuunam maraNam na vidyate |
na ca avakaasho asti yama kSaye mama |
yad antako adya eva na maam jihiirSati |
prasahya simho rudatiim mRgiim iva || 2-20-50
50. na vidyate =There is no maraNam =death naasti =There is no nuunam =indeed. avakaashaH= place, mama =to me yamakshhaye =in the abode of yama. yat =for which reason, antakaH= yama, the god of death najihiirshhati =is not wishing to carry off maam =me adyaiva =now itself prasahya =forcibly.
“There is no death to me, indeed .I have no place in the abode of god yama who presides over the spirits of the dead .That is why, Yama is not forcingly carrying me off like a lion carrying off a wailing antelope.”
sthiram hi nuunam hR^idayam mama aayasam |
na bhidyate yad bhuvi na avadiiryate |
anena duHkhena ca deham arpitam |
dhruvam hi akaale maraNam na vidyate || 2-20-51
51. anena duHkhena = By the grief, deham = body arpitam =is pierced. nuunam =Indeed mama =my hR^idayam =heart sthhiram =which is hard aayasam =is made of iron. yat =for which reason na bhidyate =it is not broken naavadiiryate =it has not fallen into pieces, bhuvi =on the floor na vidyate =There is no akaale =untimely =maraNam =death dhR^ivam =It is certain.
“This grief is inserted into my body. Even then, my heart is stable. It has not broken into pieces and fallen on the floor .It is indeed made of iron. There is no untimely death, it is certain”
idam tu duHkham yad anarthakaani me|
vrataani daanaani ca samyamaaH ca hi |
tapaH ca taptam yad apatya kaaraNaat |
suniSphalam biijam iva uptam uuSare || 2-20-52
52. idam =This is duHkham =sad anarthakaaniiti =to speak about waste of me =my vrataani =religious voes daanaamicha =charities samyamaashcha =and restraints. yat =which tapaH =austerity taptam =is performed apatya kaaraNaat =for the sake of offspring, sunishhphalam =is completely in vain biijam iva =as seed uptam =sown uushhare =in saline soil.
“I feel bad since all my religious vows, charities, restraints have all gone waste.The austerity I performed for the sake of of –spring has gone in vain, as a seed sown in a saline soil.”
yadi hi akaale maraNam svayaa icchayaa |
labheta kashcit guru duHkha karshitaH |
gataa aham adya eva pareta samsadam |
vinaa tvayaa dhenur iva aatmajena vai || 2-20-53
53. kaschit =If a person guruduHkhakarshitaH =in great distress labheta yadi =can get akaale =premature maraNam =death svayaa =ichchhayaa =out of his own will, aham =I gataa =would have got pareta sampadam =glory of the dead adyaiva =now itself tvayaa vinaa= without you dhenuriva =like cow aatmajenavina =without calf
“If a man in great distress can get premature death out of his own will, I being separated from you ,would have attain the glory of the dead now itself like cow without the calf.”
athaapi kim jiivita madya me vR^ithaa |
tvayaa vinaa chndranibhaananaprabha |
anuvrajishhyaami vanam tvayaiva gauH |
sudurbalaa vatsamivaanukaaN^kshayaa || 2-20-54
54. athaapi =Moreover, chandranibhaanana prabha =oh, Rama! With your brilliant face shining like moon! kim =what me =my jiivitam =life tvayaavinaa =without you! vR^ithaa =waste indeed. adya =Now anuvrajishhyaami =Ican accompany tvayaiva =you only vanam =to the forest, vatsam iva =like with calf sudurbalaa = a completely weak cow gouH =cow anukaaNkshhayaa =with compassion
“Moreover, what is the use of life? Oh, Rama! With your brilliant face shining like moon! My life is useless without you. I shall accompany you to the forest like a weak cow going behind it’s calf”
bhR^isham asukham amarSitaa tadaa |
bahu vilalaapa samiikSya raaghavam |
vyasanam upanishaamya saa mahat |
sutam iva baddham avekSya kimnarii || 2-20-55
55. tadaa =Then, saa =that Kausalya samiikshhya =looked at raaghavam =Rama, upanishaamya =beholden with mahat =great vyasanam =calamity, avekshhya =saw sutam =son badhham =tied up, vilaapa =lamented bhR^isham =very much bahu =in many ways asukham =uneasily amarshhitaa =with anger kinnariiva =like kinnara woman.
Then, that Kausalya looked at Rama to whom a great calamity has occurred, saw her son bound by grief and lamented very much in various ways like a kinnara woman.
|| ityaarshhe shriimadraamaayaNe aadikaavye ayodhyaakaaNDe vimshaH
Thus completes the twentieth canto of Ayodhya Kanda in srimad Ramayana.
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© 1999, K. M. K. Murthy