Book II : Ayodhya Kanda - Book Of Ayodhya
In this chapter, Sumantra enters the royal court and observes all the arrangements made for the coronation of Sri Rama. Ordered by Dasaratha to fetch Sri Rama, he enters the mighty building of Sri Rama.
te tu t˜m rajanŸm uÿya br˜hmaõ˜ veda p˜rag˜× |
upatasthur upasth˜nam saha r˜ja purohit˜× || 2-15-1
1. te= these, brahmaNaaH = brahmanas, vedapaaragaaH = skilled in vedas, ushhya = stayed, taam rajiniim = for whole night, upatasthuH = and arrived, upasthaanam = at nearby place, saha raaja purohitaaH = along with royal priest, Vasista.
Those brahmans skilled in Vedas stayed there all the night and arrived at a nearby place along with the royal priest, Vashishta.
am˜ty˜ bala mukhy˜× ca mukhy˜ ye nigamasya ca |
r˜ghavasya abhiÿeka arthe prŸyam˜õ˜× tu samgat˜× || 2-15-2
2. amaatyaaH = ministers, balamukhyaasheha = army chiefs, ye = which, mukyaaH = prominent leaders, nigamasya = of the city (those people), samgataaH = assembled, priyamaaNaaH = welcoming, abhishhekaarthe = cause of Rama's coronation.
Ministers, army chiefs, prominent leaders of the city assembled there, welcoming the cause of Rama's coronation.
udite vimale s¨rye puÿye ca abhy˜gate ahani |
abhiÿek˜ya r˜masya dvija indrai× upakalpitam || 2-15-3
k˜ncan˜ jala kumbh˜× ca bhadra pŸ÷ham svalamkrtam |
3. raamasya = Rama's, abhishhekaaya = coronation, upakalpitam = arranged by, dvijendraiH = the best of brahmanas, udite = after rising, suurye = of sun, vimale = clearly, abhyaagate = on arrival of , pushhyecha = pushyami star, praapte = and after arrival of, raamasya = Rama's, janma = birth, sthite = position, karkatakalagne = of auspicious time of cancer.
The best of brahmanas were prepared to do Rama's coronation in day-time after the sun rises clearly at the arrival of Pushya star and on arrival of Rama's auspicious birth time of Cancer.
k˜ñcan˜ jalakum˜bhaþca bhadrapŸ÷haÕ svalaðk®tam || 2-15-4
rathaþca samyag˜ stŸrõobh˜svat˜ vy˜gracarmaõ˜ |
4. kaaJNchanaa = golden, jala kumbhaasheha = water pots, svalaNkR^itam = well decorated, bhadrapiitham = throne, rathashcha = and the chariot, aastiirNaH = covered by, bhaaasvataa = shining, vyaaghracharmaNaa = tiger-skin.
Golden water-pots, well-decorated throne and chariot covered well by shining tiger-skin were impressive.
gaðg˜yamunayo× puõy˜tsaðgam˜d˜h®taÕ jalam || 2-15-5
y˜þc˜ny˜× sarita× puõy˜ hrad˜× k¨p˜× sar˜Õsi ca |
pr˜gv˜h˜þcordhvav˜h˜þca tiryagv˜h˜ ssam˜hit˜× || 2-15-6
t˜bhyaþcaiv˜h®taÕ to yaÕ samudrebhyaþca sarvaþa× |
5,6. jalam = water, aahR^itam = brought from, puNyaat = auspicious, gangaayammayoH saN^gaat = conjuction of ganga and yamuna rivers, yaaH = which, anyaaH = other, saritaH = rivers(from them), hradaaH = lakes, kuupaaH = wells, saraamsicha = ponds, pragvaahaaH = those flowing upwards, tiryagvaahaaH = those flowing crossward, samaahitaaH = from those which joined together, taabhyaH cha = from them, samudrebhyaH cha = and from oceans, sarvashaH = from all sides, toyam = water, ahR^itam = was brought.
Water was brought from auspicious conjunction of rivers ganga and Yamuna, from other rivers, lakes, wells, ponds, from streams flowing eastwards, from streams which joined together and from oceans in all sides.
sal˜j˜× kÿŸribhiþchann˜ gha÷˜× k˜ñcanar˜jat˜× || 2-15-7
padmotpalayut˜ bh˜nti p¨rõ˜× paramav˜riõ˜ |
7. kaaN^chana raajataaH = gold and silver, ghataaH = pots, puurNaaH = filled with, paramavaariNaa = excellent water, salaajaaH = together with popped grain, chhannaaH = covered by, kshiiribhiH = milky sapped leaves, padmotpalayutaaH = along, with lotuses and water lilies, bhaanti = were shining.
Gold and silver pots filled with best water together with popped grain and covered by milky sapped leaves, lotuses and water-lilies were shining there.
kÿaudraÕ dadhi gh®taÕ l˜j˜ darbh˜× sumanasa× paya× || 2-15-8
veþy˜þcaiva þubh˜c˜r˜× sarv˜bharaõabh¨ÿit˜× |
8. kshaudram = honey, dadhi = curd, ghR^itam = clarified butter, laajaaH = popped grain, darbhaaH = sacred grass, sumanasaH = flowers, payaH = milk(were glimmering), veshyaaHcha eva = as also harlots, shubhaachaaraaH = with good customs,sarvaabhara Na bhuushhitaaH = and adorned with all types of ornaments.
Honey, curd, clarified butter popped grain, sacred grass, flowers and milk were kept ready. Harlots adorned with all types of ornaments were also glimmering there.
candr˜ÕþuvikacaprakhyaÕ k˜ñcanaÕ ratnabhuÿitam ||2-15-9
sajjaÕ tiÿ÷hati r˜masya v˜lavyajanamuttamam |
9. raamasya = Rama's, uttamam = excellent, vaalavyajanam = fly-flapper, chandraanshu vikachaprakhyam = like spread-out rays of moon, kaanchanam - made with gold, ratna bhuushhitam = adorned with diamonds, tishhTati = was kept, sajjam = ready.
An excellent fly-flopper which was like spread-out rays of moon, made of gold, adorned with diamonds was kept ready for Rama.
candramaõýalasamk˜þam˜tapatraÕ ca p˜õýuram || 2-15-10
sajjaÕ dyutikaraÕ þrŸmadabhiÿekapurask®tam |
10. paaN^Duram = white, aatapatramcha = umbrella also, chandramN^dalasankaasham = equal to circular moon dyutikaram = which was shining, shriimat = which was beautifl, abhishhekapuraskR^itam = which was kept in advance for the occasion of coronation, sajjam = was ready.
A white umbrella like circular moon, which was kept in advance for the occasion of coronation was also kept ready.
p˜õýuraþca v®ÿa× sajja× p˜õýuro'svaþca susthita× || 2-15-11
pras®taþca gaja× þrŸm˜naupav˜hya× pratŸkÿate |
11. paaN^DuraH = white, vR^ishhaH cha = bull also, sajjaH = was ready, paaN^DuraH =white, ashvaH cha = horse also, susthitaH = was in well established position, gajaH cha = elephant also, prasR^itaH = which was mighty, shriimaan = which was beautiful, oupaaahyaH = which was fit to be mounted by kings, pratiikshhate = was waiting.
A white bull, a white horse a mighty and beautiful elephant which was fit to be mounted by kings were readily waiting.
aÿ÷au ca kany˜ m˜ðgaly˜× sarv˜bharaõabh¨ÿit˜× || 2-15-12
v˜ditr˜õi ca sarv˜õi vandinaþca tath˜pare |
12. ashhTau = eight, maaN^galyaaH = auspicious, kanyaaH = virgins, sarvaabharaNa bhuushhitaaH = adorned with all types of ornaments, sarvaaNi = all types of, vaaditraaNi = musical instruments, vandinaH cha = panegyrishts, tathaa = and, pare = others, (were waiting)
Eight auspicious virgins adorned all types of ornaments, various types of musical instruments, panegyrists and others were also waiting.
ikÿv˜k¨õ˜Õ yath˜ r˜jye sambhriyet˜bhiÿecanam || 2-15-13
tath˜j˜tŸyam˜d˜ya r˜japutr˜bhiÿecanm |
te r˜javacan˜ttatra samavet˜ mahŸpatim || 2-15-14
apaþyanto'bruvan ko bu r˜jñona× pratip˜dayet |
13,14. te = they, samavetaaH = who gathered, tatra = there, aadaaya = getting, raajaputraabhishhechanam = the things required for coronation cermony, raaja vachanaat = as per insturctions of king,tathaajaatiiyam = of such a kind, abhishhechanam = of things required for coronation, yathaa = as,sambhriyeta = collected, raajye = in kingdom, ikshhvakuuNaam = of Ikshhvaaku dynasty, apashyamtaH = could not see, mahiipatim = the kings, abruvam = spoke, kaH nu = who, pratipaadayet = will inform, raajJNo = the king, naH = about us.
The people who gathered there after getting the things required as per orders of king for coronation ceremony to be held in a kingdom of Ikshhvaaku dynasty, could not sight the king and discussed among themselves about how to inform the king regarding their arrival.
na paþy˜maþca r˜j˜namuditaþca div˜kara× || 2-15-15
yauvar˜jy˜bhiÿekaþca sajjo r˜masya dhŸmata× |
15. nacha pashyaamaH = (we are ) not seeing, raajaanam = the king, divaakaraH cha = the sun also, uditahH = has risen, dhiimataH = the wise, raamasya = Rama's yauvaraajyaabhishhekaH cha = crowing ceremony also, sajjaH - is ready.
" The king is not being seen. The sun has risen. Everything is ready for the coronation of Rama, the wise".
iti teÿu bruv˜õeÿu s˜rvabhaum˜n mahŸpatŸn || 2-15-16
abravŸtt˜nidaÕ sarv˜nsumantro r˜jasatk®ta× |
16. teshhu bruvaaNeshu = while they were speaking, iti = thus, sumantraH = sumantra, raaja satkR^itaH = who is well respected by king, abraviit = spoke, idam = these words, taan mahiipatiin = to those kings, sarvaan saarvaabhaumaan = who belong to all countries entirely.
Sumantra, who received good respect from Dasaratha, heard them thus speaking and addressed those kings, who came from different countries.
r˜ma× ca samyag ˜stŸrõo bh˜svar˜ vy˜ghra carmaõ˜ || 2-15-17
gang˜ yamunayoh puõy˜t samgam˜t ˜hrtam jalam |
17. aham = I, prasthitaH asmi = am going on journey, tvarayaa = quickly, raamam = to Rama, niyogena = as per orders of, raajJNaH = king, bhavantutuH = but you are, puujyaaH = worthy of worship, raajJNaH = to king, raamasyacha visheshhataH = and in particular to Rama.
"I am going to Rama quickly as per king's directions. But, you are all worthy of worship by Dasaratha and by Rama in particular."
ayaÕ p®cch˜mi vacan˜t sukham˜yuÿmat˜maham || 2-15-18
r˜jñ× sampratibuddhasya c˜n˜gamanak˜raõam |
18. aayam aham = this I, pR^ichchhaami = shall ask, vachanaat = as word, aayushhmataam = if you who are long- lived, sukham = about well being, raajJNaH = of king, sam pratibuddhasya = who is now awake, anaagamana kaaraaNam cha = and about the reason of not coming.
"I shall ask as your word about the well-being of king who is now awake and also about the reason of his not coming here."
ityuktv˜nta×puradv˜ram˜jag˜ma pur˜õavit || 2-15-19
sad˜saktaÕ ca tadveþma sumantra× praviveþa ha |
19. sumantra = Sumantra, puraaNavit = knower of sacred works, iti = thus, uktvaa = spoke, aajagaama = approached, antaHpura dvaaram = entrance of royal palace, praviveshaH = entered, tat = that, vesham = house, saktam = which is kept close, sadaa = always.
That Sumantra, knower of sacred works spoke thus, approached entrance of royal palace and entered the inner quarters which is always kept closed.
tuÿ÷˜v˜sya tad˜ vaÕþaÕ praviþya sa viþ˜Õ pate× || 2-15-20
þayanŸyaÕ narendhrasya tadas˜dya vyatiÿ÷hata |
20. tadaa = then, saH = he, pravishya = entered, tushhTaava = praised, asya = this, vishaampateH = kings's vamsham = dynasty, aasaadya = approached, narendrasya tat shayaniiyam = that king's bedroom, vyatishhTat = stood at a distance.
He entered the inner quarters and praised the king's dynasty. He approached the royal bedroom and stood there at a distance.
so'ty˜s˜dya tu tadveþma tiraskariõi mantr˜ || 2-15-21
˜þŸrbhirguõayukt˜bhirabhituÿ÷˜va r˜ghavam |
21. saH = he, aasaadya = approached, veshma = bed room, tiraskariNimantaraa = as nearere to the curtain, abhitushhTaava = praised, raaghavam = Dasaratha, aashiirbhiH with blessings, guNa yuktaabhiH = countaining qualities.
He entered the bedroom, approached nearer to the curtain there and praised Dasaratha's qualities with blessings.
somas¨ryau ca k˜kutstha þivavaiþravaõ˜vapi || 2-15-22
varuõaþcagnirindraþca vijayam pradiþantu te |
22. kaakutthsa = oh, king Dasaratha! soma suuryau = moon and sund, shivavyashravaNau api = shiva and kubera, varuNaH cha = Varuna, agniH = Agni, indraH cha = Indra, pradishantute = grant, vijayam = victory, te = to you.
"Oh, king Dasaratha! Let sun and the moon, guardians of the world like Shiva and Kubera, Varuna, Agni and Indra grant victory to you!"
gat˜ bhagavatŸ r˜trira× þivamupasthitam || 2-15-23
buddhyasva n®paþ˜rd¨la kuru k˜ryamanantaram |
23. nR^ipashaarduula = oh, the best of kings! bhagavatii = the venerable, raatriH = night, gataa = has gone, shivam = the auspicious, ahaH = day, upasthitam = has come, buddhyasya = wake up, kuru = do, kaaryam = whatever to be done, anantaram = thereafter.
"Oh, the best of kings! The venerable night has gone. The auspicious day has come. Wake up and do whatever needs to be done thereafter."
br˜hmaõ˜ balamukhy˜þca naigam˜þc˜gat˜ n®pa || 2-15-24
darþanam pratik˜ðkÿante pratibuddhyasva r˜ghava |
24. raaghava nR^ipa = oh, king born in Raghu dynasty ! braahmaNaaH cha = chiefs of armed forces, nygamaaH cha = and traders, aagataaH = have come, pratikaaN^kshhante = willing, darshanam = to see, paratibuddhyasya = wake up!
"Oh, king Dasaratha ! Brahmanas, chiefs of armed forces and traders are waiting to see you. Please wake up."
stuvantaÕ tam tad˜ s¨taÕ sumantraÕ mantrakovidam || 2-15-25
pratibuddhya tato r˜j˜ idaÕ vacanamabravŸt |
25. tataH thereafter, raajaa = king Dasaratha, pratibuddhya woke up, abraviit = and spoke, idam vachanam = these words, sumantram = to Sumantra, tadaa = then, stuvantam = enlogising, mantrakovidam = skilled in giving advice, suutam = charioteer.
Then, Dasaratha woke up and spoke these words to Sumantra, who was eulogising him, who was skilled in giving advice and who was his charioteer.
r˜mam˜naya s¨teti yadasyabhihitoanay˜ || 2-15-26
kimidaÕ k˜raõam yena mam˜jñ˜ pratihanyate |
26. suuta = oh, the charioteer! kim = what is, idam kaaraNam = this reason, yena by which, mama aajJNaa = my order, pratihamyate = is being rejected, yat abhihitaH api = eventhough you were told, anaya = to bring, raamam = Rama.
"Why have you not followed my orders even though you were asked by her to bring Rama."
na caiva samprasupto'ham˜nayeh˜þu r˜ghavam || 2-15-27
iti r˜j˜ daþaratha× s¨taÕ tatr˜nvaþ˜tpuna× |
27. raajaa dasharathaH = king Dasaratha, anvashaat = ordered, suuutam = charioteer, tatra = there, punaH = again, iti = thus, aham nacha eva samprasupataH = "I am not sleeping, aanaya =bring, raamam = Rama, iha = here, aashu = soon.
King Dasaratha ordered that charioteer there again thus - " I am not sleeping. Bring Rama here soon".
sa r˜javacanaÕ þrutv˜ þiras˜ pratip¨jya tam || 2-15-28
nirjagama n®p˜v˜s˜nmanyam˜na× priyaÕ mahat |
28. saH - he, shrutvaa - listened to, raajavachanam = king's words, pratipuujya = paid respect, tam = to him, shirasaa = with head, manyamaanaH = thinking of, mahat = abundant, priyam = goodness, nirjagaama = came out, nR^ipaavaasaat = from king's house.
He listened to king's words, bowed his head in salutation to him, thought for goodness of king, and came out of the king's palace.
prasanno r˜jam˜rgaÕ ca pat˜k˜dhvajaþobhitam || 2-15-29
h®ÿ÷a× pramudita× s¨to jag˜m˜þu vilokayan |
29. suutaH = the charioteer placid, prasannaH = became placeid, jagaama = went, hR^ishhTaH = rejoiced, pramuditaH = with pleasure, vilokayan = seeing, raajamaargamcha = royal roads, pataakaadhvaja shobhitam = adorned with flags and banners.
That Sumantra with placid mind, went happily seeing the royal roads adorned with flags and banners.
sa s¨tastatra þuþr˜va r˜m˜dhikaraõ˜× kath˜× || 2-15-30
abhiÿecanasaÕyukt˜ssarvalokasya h®ÿ÷avat |
30. suutaH = that charioteer, shushraava = heard, kathaaH = conversatious, raamadhikaraNaaH = about Rama, abhishechana samyuktaaH + and Rama's coronation, sarvalokasya = of all people, hR^ishhTavat = who were joyful.
Sumantra heard the words pertaining to Rama and Rama's coronation spoken together by joyful people there.
tato dadarþa ruciraÕ kail˜saþikharaprabham || 2-15-31
r˜maveþma sumantrastu þakraveþmasamaprabham |
31. tataH = then, sumantraH tu = Sumantra, dadarshha = saw, raamaveshma = Rama's palace, ruchiram = which ws lovely, kailaasa sikharaprabham = shining like top of a mountain, shakra veshma samaprabham = radiant like Indra's palace.
Then, Sumantra saw Rama's palace which was lovely shining like top of a mountain and radiant like Indra's palace.
mah˜kav˜÷apihitaÕ vitardiþataþobhitam || 2-15-32
k˜ñcanapratimaik˜graÕ maõividrumatoraõam |
þ˜rad˜bhraghanaprakhyaÕ dŸptaÕ meruguhopamam || 2-15-33
maõibhirvaram˜ly˜n˜Õ sumahadbhiralaðk®tam |
mukt˜maõibhir˜kŸrõaÕ candhan˜gurubh¨ÿitam || 2-15-34
gandh˜nmanojñ˜n vis®jaddh˜rduraÕ þikharaÕ yath˜ |
s˜rasaiþca may¨raiþca vinadadbhirvir˜jitam || 2-15-35
suk®teh˜m®g˜kŸrõaÕ sukŸrõaÕ bhaktibhistath˜ |
manþcakÿuþca bh¨t˜n˜m˜dadattigmatejas˜ || 2-15-36
candrabh˜skarasaðk˜þam kuberabhavanopamam |
mahendradh˜mapratimaÕ n˜n˜pakÿisam˜kulam || 2-15-37
meruþ®ðgasamam s¨to r˜maveþma dadarþa ha |
upasthitai× sam˜kŸrõam janairañjalik˜ribhi× || 2-15-38
up˜d˜ya sam˜kr˜ntaistath˜ j˜napadairjanai× |
r˜m˜bhiÿekasumukhairunmukhai× samalamk®tam || 2-15-39
mah˜meghasamaprakhyamudagraÕ suvibh¨ÿitam |
n˜n˜ratnasam˜kŸrõaÕ kubjakair˜tak˜v®tam || 2-15-40
32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40. suutaH = Sumantra, dadarshaH = saw, raamaveshma = Rama's house, mahaakavaata pihitam = with large doors, vitardhishata shobhitam = adorned, with hundreds of raised, quadrangular seats, kaaN^chana pratimaikaagram = having a summit embedded with golden idols, maNividruma toranam = with festooned decorations over doorways with gems and corals, sharadaabhraghanaprakhyam = with brilliance like automnal cloud, diiptam - shining, meruguhopamam - like vace of Meru mountain, alankR^itam = adorned withmaNibhiH = precious stones, sumadbhiH = with large, ramaalyaanaam=- best of garlands, aakiirNam = abundantly seathered , muktaamaNibhiH = pearls, chandanaagurubhuushhitam = decorated with sandal and aloe woods, visR^ijat = spreading out, manojJNaan = beautiful, gandhaan = smalls, saarasaiH = with cranes, mayuuraishcha = and with peacoks, vinadadbhiH = singing, viraajitam = was illuminated, sukR^itehaa mR^igaakiirNam = surrounded by well-arranged wolves, tathaa = and, sukiirNam = well place, bhaktibhiH = sculptures, aadadat = attracting, manaH minds, chakshhushcha = and eyes, bhuutaanaam = of living beings, chandrabhaaskaraa sankaasham = equal to sund and the moon, kubera bhavanopamana = like palace of kubera, mahendra chaama pratimam = equal to house of Indra, nanaapakshhisamaakulam = full of various kinds of birds, marushR^ingasamam = equal to Meru mountain, samaakiirNam = over spread, janaiH = by people upasthitaiH = who arrived, aN^jalikaaribhiH = with joined palms,tatha = and upadaaya = taking gifts and the like, jaanapadaiH = rural folk, raamaabhishheka sumukhaiH = favouring Rama's coronation, unmkhaiH = eagerly waiting, alankR^itam = decorated, udagram = elevated, mahaameghasamaprakhyam = like great clouds, suvibhuushhitam = adorned with , naanaaratnasamaakiirNam = various diamonds spread all over, kubja kairaavakaavR^itam = with hunch backed servants and servant of kirata tribe moving around.
Rama's palace was beautiful with large doors and adorned with hundreds of raised quadrangular seats. There were festooned decorations over doorways with gems and corals. It was adorned with various precious stones and the best of garlands. Pearls were scattered all over abundantly. It was decorated with sandal and aloe woods, spreading out beautiful smells like the peak of a Darddura Mountain. Cranes and peacocks were singing sweetly. Figures of wolves and other art forms were sculptured here and there. It was attracting the eyes and minds of living beings by its brilliance. It was shining like a constellation of moon and the sun. It was full of various kinds of birds. It was as high as Meru mountain. Sumantra saw such a palace of Rama. People who came from different rural parts to see Rama's coronation were waiting with different gifts in their hands. That house decorated with various diamonds, was looking high like a great cloud. Hunch backed servants and servants of kirata tribe were moving all over the house.
sa v˜jiyuktena rathena s˜rathi |
rnar˜kulaÕ r˜jakulam vir˜jayan |
var¨thin˜ r˜mag®h˜bhip˜tin˜ |
purasya sarvasya man˜Õsi harþayan || 2-15-41
41. saH = that, saarathi = charioteer, rathena = with chariot, vaajiyuktena = fasterned with horses, varuuthinaa = having a top, raamagR^ihaabhipaatinaa = approaching towards Rama's palace,viraajayam = beautifying, naraakulam = human race, raajakulam = and royal race, harshhayam = gladdened, manaamsi = the hearts, purasya = of the city.
That Sumantra with chariot fastened with horses and having a top, approached towards Rama's palace, beautifying the human and the royal races, gladdened the hearts of all citizens.
tatassam˜s˜dya mah˜dhanaÕ mahat |
prah®ÿ÷arom˜ sa babh¨va s˜rathi× |
m®gairmay¨raiþca sam˜kulolbaõaÕ |
g®haÕ var˜rhasya þacŸpateriva || 2-15-42
42. tataH = then, saH = that, saarathiH = charioteer,babhuuva = became, prahR^ishhTa romaa = hair-risingly thrilled, samaasaadya = after approaching, varaarhasya = excellent Rama's gR^iham = palace, mahaadhanam = having great wealth, mahat = large, samaakulolbaNam = beautifully, mR^igaiH = deers, mayuuraishcha = and peacocks, shachiipataH iva = like Indra's palace.
That palace of the great souled Rama was like Indra's palace with great wealth. It was filled with various deer and peacocks. After approaching that palace, he became quite thrilled.
sa tatra kail˜sanibh˜× svalaðk®t˜× |
praviþya kakÿy˜stridaþ˜layopam˜× |
priy˜n var˜n r˜mamate sthit˜n bah¨n |
vyapohya þuddh˜ntamupasthito rathŸ || 2-15-43
43. saH = that, rathii = Sumantra, praveshya = entered, kakshhyaaH = inner apartments, kailaasavibhaaH = equal to Kailasa mountain, svalankR^itaaH = well decorated, tridashaalayopamaaH = like, abodes of deities, tatra = there, vyapohya = passed over, bahuun = many of , raamamate sthitaan = established Rama's welll wishers,varam = best, priyaan = friends, upasthitaH = approached, shuddhaantam = royal inner apartment.
The inner apartments of Rama's palace were well decorated, high as Kailasa mountain and like abodes of deities. Sumantra entered there, passed over many of Rama's friends who well wishers and approached Rama's inner apartment.
sa tatra þuþr˜va ca harÿayukt˜ |
r˜m˜bhiÿek˜rthak®t˜ jan˜n˜Õ |
sarvasya lokasya gira× prah®ÿ÷a× || 2-15-44
44. tatra = then, saH = he, shushraava = heard, prahR^ishhTaaH = delightful, giraH = words, lokasya = of people, raamaabhishhekaartha kR^itaan = about things done for Rama's coronation, harshayuktaaH = filled with joy, janaanaam = of people, abhimangalaarthaaH = for the sake of prosperity, narendra suunoH = of Rama.
There, Sumantra heard delightful people talking about Rama's coronation and the rites to be performed for the sake of Rama's prosperity.
mahendrasadmapratimaÕ tu veþma |
r˜masya ramyaÕ m®gamuccaÕ |
vibhr˜jam˜naÕ prabhay˜ sumamtra× || 2-15-45
45. sumantraH = Sumantra, dadarsha = saw, ramya = beautiful, raamasya veshma = Rama's palace, mahendrasadmapratimam = filled wih antelopes and birds, shR^ingam eva = like top, uchcha = of high, meroH = Meru mountain, vibhraajamaanam = shining, prabhayaa = with radiance.
Rama's palace was as high as top of the Meru mountain, shining with radiance. The mansion was filled with birds and antelopes. It was like Indra’s mansion. Sumantra saw such a beautiful house of Rama.
upasthitai rañjalik˜ribhiþca |
ko÷y˜ par˜rdhaiþca vimuktay˜nai× |
sam˜kulaÕ dv˜rapadam dadarþa || 2-15-46
46. dadarsha = saw, dvaarapadam = area of entrance, samaakulam = filled with, kotyaa = crores, parardhaishcha = and millions of, jaanapadaiH = of rural folk, janaishcha = and people, upasthitaaH = who approached, anjalikaaribhisheha = with folded hands, sopaayanaiH = with gifts, vimuktayaanaiH = who left their respective vehicles.
He saw crores and millions of rural folk and other people with folded hands approaching the area leaving their respective vehicles.
tato mah˜meghamahŸdhar˜bhaÕ |
r˜mopav˜hy˜m ruciram dadarþa |
þatrumjayaÕ n˜gamudagrak˜yam || 2-15-47
47. tataH = there after, dadarsha = saw, ruchiram = beautiful, naagam = elephant, shatrunjayam = called satrunjayam, udagrakaayam = with highly elevated, raamopavaahyam = Rama's royal vehichle, mahaamegha mahiidharaabham = like great cloud and mountain,prabhinnam = intoxicated, atyaN^kusham = uncontrollabel, asahyam = intolerable.
There he saw a beautiful elephant called Satrunjaya with highly elevated body and Rama's royal conveyance. It was like a great cloud and a mountain. It was intoxicated, uncontrollable and intolerable.
svalaðk®t˜n s˜svarath˜n sakumjar˜ |
nam˜tyamukhay˜mþca dadarþa vallabh˜n |
vyapohya s¨ta× sahit˜nsamantata× |
sam®ddhamanta×pura m˜viveþa ha || 2-15-48
48. dadarsha = saw, amaatya mukhyaamshaha = the ministers in chief, vallabhaan = who were beloved to the king, svalankR^itaan = who were well-adorned, saashvarathaan= with horse carriages sakunjaraan= the people, gathered, tataH= on all sides, aviveshaH=entered, samR^iddham=rich, antaHpuram= inner apartment.
The ministers in chief who were beloved to the king, were well-adorned and came there on horse-carriages and elephants. Sumantra passed over the people gathered there on all sides and entered the rich inner apartment.
tato'drik¨÷˜calameghasanni bhaÕ |
av˜ryam˜õa× praviveþa s˜rathi× |
prabh¨taratnaÕ makaro yath˜rõavam || 2-15-49
49. tataH = then, saarathiH =the charioter, pravivesha = entered, mahaavimaanopama veshma samyutam = that Rama's palace containing houses equal to excellent divine cars, adrikuutaachala magha sannibham = similar to top of mountain, and immoveable cloud, makaro yathaa = like crocodile(entering) arNavam = ocean, prabhuutaratnam = containg, a number of precious stones, avaaryamaaNaH = without being obstructed by anyone.
Then, that Sumantra entered Rama's palace, which was like top of a mountain, like an unmoving cloud, which contained houses equal to excellent divine cars, like crocodile entering the ocean containing a number of precious stones. Nobody obstructed him.
|| ity˜rÿe þrŸmadr˜m˜yaõe ˜dik˜vye ayodhy˜k˜õýe
pañcadaþa× sarga× ||
Thus completes fifteenth sarga of Ayodhya kanda in Srimad Ramayana.
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© 1999, K. M. K. Murthy