Book II : Ayodhya Kanda - Book Of Ayodhya
Dasaratha is shocked by the strange wishes of Kaikeyi and tries to convince Kaikeyi of her wishes as being harmful. Kaikeyi would not heed to the emperor's words.
tataH shrutvaa mahaaraajaH kaikeyyaa daaruNam vachaH |
chintaamabhisamaapede muhuurtam pratataapa cha || 2-12-1
1. tataH shrutvaa= After hearing; daaruNam= cruel; vachaH= words; kaikeyyaaH= of Kaikeyi; mahaaraajaH= the great king; abhisamaapede= got; chintaam= disturbed; pratataapacha= suffered great agony; muhuurtatam= for a while.
After hearing the cruel words of Kaikeyi; King Dasaratha got disturbed and suffered great agony for a while.
kim nu me yadi vaa svapnashchittamohoo.api vaamama |
anubhuutopasargo vaa manaso vaapyupadravaH || 2-12-2
2. svapnamkinu= It is a dream; me= on my yadivaa= or; mama= my chittamoho apivaa= confusion of mind?; anubhuutopasargo vaa= or disease; manasaH= of mind.
"As it a day-dream or confusion of my mind? Or could it be an eclipse of my experience or a disease of the mind?"
iti samchintya tadraajaa naadhyagachchha ttadaa sukham |
pratilabhya chiraatsamjJNaam kaikeyiivaakyataaDitaH || 2-12-3
vyathito viklabashachaiva vyaaghriim dR^ishhTvaa yathaa mR^igaH |
asamvR^itaayaamaasiino jagatyaam diirghamuchchhvasan || 2-12-4
maNDle pannago ruddho mantrairiva mahaavishhaH |
ahodhigiti saamarshho vaachamuktvaa naraadhipaH || 2-12-5
mohamaapedivaanbhuuyaH shokopahatachetanaH |
3, 4, 5. samchintya= Thinking over; iti= thus; tat= about it; rajaa= the king; naadya gachchhat= could not get; sukham= comfort; naraadhipaH= That king; kiakeyiivaakya taaditaH= being banged by Kaikeyi's words; pratilabhya= got; samG^yaam= consciousness; vyathitaH= was disturbed; viklabaHcha eva= and disgusted ; mR^gaH yathaa= like deer; dR^ishhTvaa= seeing; vyaghriim= lioness; aasiinaH= sitting; jagatyaam= on floor; asamvR^itaayaam= uncovered; diirgham uchchvasan= sighing long = mahaavishhaH pannagaH iva = like the most poisonous serpant; ruddaH= fixed; maNdale= to a charmed spot; mantraiH = through magic spells; uktvaa= Attering; vaacham= words; saamarshhaH= with anger; iti= that; aho= "Oh!"; dhik= "what a pity!"; bhuuyaH= again; aapedivaan= got; moham= loss of consciousness; shokopahata chetasaH= due to his sensibility being beaten by anguish.
Thinking over thus, the king could not make out on the spur of the moment what it was. Then, regaining consciousness, he felt tormented by Kaikeyi's words. Distressed and disgusted as a deer at the sight of a lioness and seated on the bare floor, he gave forth a long sigh like a highly venomous serpent fixed to a charmed spot through magic spells. Uttering words "what a pity!" the angry king fell into a swoon once more, his mind infatuated with grief.
chireNa tu nR^ipaH samjJNaam pratilabhya suduHkhitaH || 2-12-6
kaikeyiimabraviitkruddhaH pradahanniva chakshushhaa |
6. pratilabhya = Having got; samG^yaam= consciousness; chireNa= after a long time; nR^ipaH= the king; suduHkhitaH= who was much distressed; kR^iddhaH= was angry; pradahavniva= like the one who burns away another; chakshhushhaa= with eyes; abraviit= spoke; kaikeyi= to Kaikeyi
Regaining consciousness after a long time and feeling much distressed and angry; the King spoke thus to Kaikeyi, as though consuming her with fire in his eyes
nR^ishamse dushhTachaaritre kulasyaasya vinaashini || 2-12-7
kim kR^itam tava raameNa paapaM paape mayaapi vaa |
7. nR^isshamse= Oh, the cruel one!; dushhTa chaaritre= one of wicked conduct!; vinaashini= one who exterminates; asya kulasya= this race!; pape= the sinful on!; kim kR^itam= what has been done; tava= to you; raameNa= by Rama; mayaapi= or by me?
"Oh cruel woman of wicked conduct inclined to exterminate this race! What wrong has been done to you by Rama or by me?"
yadaa te jananiitulyaam vR^ittim vahati raaghavaH || 2-12-8
tasyaiva tvamanarthaaya kim nimittamihodyataa |
8. yadaa= when; raaghavaH= Rama; vahati= is displaying; vR^ittim= behaviour; te= towards you; jananii tulyaam= as equal to mother; kimnimiHam= for what reason; tvam= you; udyataa= are bent upon; anardhaaya= to harm; tasyaiva= only him.
"When Rama is treating you in the same way as his mother, why are you bent upon harming only him?"
tvaM mamaatmavinaashaartham bhavanam svaM praveshitaa || 2-12-9
avijJNaanaannR^ipasutaa vyaaLii tiikshNavishhaa yathaa |
9. aviJN^aanaat= By not knowing; tvam= you; vyaaLiiva= as female serpant; tiiKshhNa vishhaa= with fiery poison; pravishitaa= you are admitted; nR^ipasutaa= as princess; mayaa= by me; svam bhavanam= in my house; aatmavinaashaartham= for my own destruction.
"By not knowing you as a female snake with fiery poison, you were admitted by me as princess in my house for my own self destruction.
jiivaloko yadaa sarvo raamasyaaha guNastavam || 2-12-10
aparaadham kamuddishya tyakshyaamiishhTamaham sutam |
10. yadaa= when; sarvaH= all; jiiva lokaH= living beings; aaha= are casting; guNastavam= praise of virtues; raamasya= of Rama; uddishya= pointing; kam= to what ; aparaadham= offence; aham= I; tyakshhyaami= can leave; ishhTam sutam= beloved son?
"When all living beings extol the virtues of Rama, for what offence shall I forego my beloved son?"
kausalyaam vaa sumitraam vaa tyajeyamapi vaa shriyam || 2-12-11
jiivitam vaatmano raamam na tveva pitR^ivatsalam |
11. yadaa= when; sarvaH= entire; jiivaH lokaH= world of living beings; aaha= speaks; raamasya= Rama's; guNa stavam= eulogium of virtues; uddishya= pointing to; kam= which; aparaadham= offence; aham= I; tyakshhyaami= forsake; ishhTam sutam= beloved son?
"For what offence shall I forsake my beloved son; when the entire world of living beings extol the virtues of Rama?"
paraa bhavati me priitirdhR^ishhTvaa tanayamagrajam || 2-12-12
apashyatastu me raamam nashhTaa bhavati chetanaa |
12. drishhTvaa= on seeing; agrajam= the eldest ; tanayam= son;; paraa= supreme; priitiH= delight; bhavati= happens; me= to me; me= My; chetanaa= consciousness; nashhTaa bhavati= is lost; apashyatastu= if I do not see; raamam= Rama.
"Supreme delight comes to me on seeing my eldest son. My very consciousness is lost, if I fail to see Rama."
tishhThelloko vinaa suuryam sasyam vaa salilam vinaa || 2-12-13
na tu raamam vinaa dehe tishhThettu mama jiivitam |
13. lokaH= The world; tishhTet= can exist; suuryam vinaa= without sun; sasyam= crop; salilam vaa= without water; tu= But; jiivitam= life; na tishhTet= cannot exist; mama dehe= in my body; raamam vinaa= without Rama.
"The world can exist without the sun, a crop without water. But life cannot continue in my body, without Rama."
tadalam tyajyataameshha nishchayaH paapanishchaye || 2-12-14
api te charaNau muurdhnaa spR^ishaamyeshha prasiida me |
14. paapa nishchaye= Oh, woman with sinful resolve!; alam= Enough; tat= of it; eshhaH= This; nishchayaH= resolve; tyaajyataam= be given up; eshhaH= This I myself; spR^ishaamyapi= will even touch; te charaNou= your feet; muurdhnaa= with my head.; prasiida= Be gracious; me= to me.
"Oh, sinful woman! Enough of it. Let this resolution be given up. I even touch your feet with my head. Be gracious to me."
kimidam chintitam paape tvayaa paramadaaruNam || 2-12-15
atha jiijJNaasase maam tvam bharatasya priyaapriye |
astuyattattvayaaapuurvam vyaahR^itamraaghavamprati || 2-12-16
sa me jyeshhThaH sutaH shriimaan dharmajyeshhTha itiiva me |
tattvayaa priyavaadinyaa sevaartham kathitam bhavet || 2-12-17
15, 16, 17. paape= Oh, sinful woman!; kim= why; idam= this; parama daruNam= most cruel design; chintitam= has been thought of?; atha= If; tvam= you; jiG^yaasase= desire to know; maam= mine priyaapriye= about kindly and unkindly feeling; bharatasya= of Bharata; astu= let it be so; yat= = for which reason; tat= then; vyaahR^itam= was spoken; tvayaa= by you; puurvam= earlier; raaghavam prati= about Rama; itiiva= that; shriimaan= glorious; saH= Rama; me= my; jyeshhTha sutaH= eldest son; dharmajyeshhThaH= senior in practice of virtue; me= to me; tat= That; priya vaadinyaa= speaking pleasing words; kathitam bhavet= being told; tvayaa= by you; sevaartham= to exact service.
"Oh, sinful woman! Why this most design has been conceived by you? If you wish to ascertain my kindly or unkindly feeling towards Bharata, let it be so. But the observation made by you earlier that glorious Rama, who is senior in the practice of virtue is my eldest son as it were, must have been uttered in order to coax me or to get service from him."
tachchhrutvaa shokasamtaptaa samtaapayasi maam bhR^isham |
aavishhTaasi gR^iham shuunyam saa tvam paravasham gataa || 2-12-18
18. tat= That is why; saatvam= such of you; shokasantaptaa= afflicted with grief; shrutvaa= by hearing Ramas proposed installation; santaapasi= you are tormenting; maam= me; bhR^isham= = too much; aavishhTaa asi= you are possessed by an evil spirit; shuunyam gR^iham= in a lonely house; paravashamgataa= subject to control of another.
"Afflicted with grief by hearing Rama's proposed installation; you are tormenting me too much. Possessed by an evil spirit in a lonely house; you are subject to control of another"
ikshvaakuuNaam kule devi sampraaptaH sumahaanayam |
anayo nayasampanne yatra te vikR^itaa matiH || 2-12-19
19. devii= Oh; queen!; ikshhvaakuu Naam kule= In this Ikshhvaaku race; naya sampanne= which is rich in good conduct; ayam= this; sumahaan= very great; anayaH= misfortune; sam praaptaH= has appeared; yatra= due to which; te= your; matiH= mind; vikR^itaa= has been perverted .
"Oh, queen! In this Ikshhvaaku race, which is rich in good conduct, this very great misfortune has appeared, due to which your mind has been perverted
na hi kimchidayuktam vaa vipriyam vaa puraa mama |
akarostvam vishaalaakshi tena na shraddadhaamyaham || 2-12-20
20. vishaalaakshhi= Oh, large eyed one!; puraa= Earlier; tvam= you; na akaroH= have not done; ayuktamvaa= repugnant thing; mama= to me; tena = for that reason; aham= I; na shraddhadhaami= do not believe.
"Oh, large eyed one! Earlier you have not done anything unreasonable or repugnant to me. That is why; I do not believe what has been done by you."
nanu te raaghavastulyo bharatena mahaatmanaa |
bahusho hi sma baale tvam kathayase mama || 2-12-21
21. te= To you; raaghavaH = Rama; tulyaH nanu= is indeed equal; bharatena= to Bharata; mahaatmanaa= the great souled; baale= Oh; young lady!; tvam= you; kathayasesmahi= were indeed telling; kathaaH= stories; mama= to me; bahushaH= = several times.
"Indeed, Rama is on par with the great souled Bharata to you, for many times you were telling me stories illustrating this, Oh, young lady!"
tasya dharmaatmano devi vanavaasam yashasvinaH |
katham rochayase bhiiru nava varshhaaNi paJNcha cha || 2-12-22
22. devi= Kaikeyi; bhiiru= the timid lady!; katham= How; rochayase= do you take delight in; vanavaasam= living in forest; nava paNcha varshhaaNi= for fourteen years; tasya= of that Rama; dharmaatmanaH= the righteous; yashasvinaH = and the illustrious man.
"Oh, timid lady! How do you take delight in banishment for fourteen years of that pious-minded and illustrious Rama?"
atyantasukumaarasya tasya dharme dhR^itaatmanaH |
katham rochayase vaasamaraNye bhR^ishadaaruNe || 2-12-23
23. katham= How; rochayase= do you take delight in; vaasam= sojourn; bhRisha daaruNe= in a most dreadful; araNye= forest; tasya= of Rama; atyanta sukumaarasya= with very delicate body; dhR^itaat manaH= having his self held; dharme= in piety?
"How do you take delight in the sojourn, in a most dreadful forest; of Rama with very delicate body and having his self held in piety?"
rochayasyabhiraamasya raamasya shubhalochane |
tavashushruushhamaaNasya kimmartham vipravaasanam || 2-12-24
24. subha lochane= Oh; fair-eyed lady!; kimartham= what for; rochayasi= do you take delight in; vipravaasanam= banishment; raamasya= of Rama; shushruushhamaNasya= who is obediently doing service; tava= to you; abhiraamasyawho is so pleasing.
"Oh, the fair-eyed one! Why do you take delight in banishment of Rama, who is so pleasing to look at and who is so obediently doing service to you?"
raamo hi bharataadbhuuyastava shushruushhte sadaa |
visheshham tvayi tasmaattu bharatasya na lakshaye || 2-12-25
25. raamaH= Rama; sadaa= always; shushruushhate= is doing service; tava= to you; bhuuyaH= more; bharataat= than Bharata; tasmaattu= for that reason also; tvayi= in your case; na lakshhaye= I do not see; visheshham= speciality; bharatasya= of Bharata.
"Rama always is doing service to you more than Bharata does. For that reason also, in your case, I do not see any speciality in Bharata."
shushruushhaam gauravam chaiva pramaaNam vachanakriyaam |
kaste bhuuyastaram kuryaadanyatra manujarshhabhaat || 2-12-26
bahuunaam striisahasraaNaam bahuunaam chopajiivinaam |
26. kaH= who else; manujarshhabhaat anyatra= other than Rama; the best of men; kuryaat= could do; bhuuyastaram= much more; shushruushhaam= service; te= to you; gouravam= with respect; pramaaNam chaiva= with correct notion and; vachanakriyaam= in obedience?
In fact, who else other than Rama the best of men could do much more service to you with respect, with correct notion and in obedience?"
parivaado.apavaado vaa raaghave nopapadyate || 2-12-27
saantvayan sarvabhuutaani raamaH shuddhena chetasaa |
gR^ihNaati manujavyaagraH priyairvishhayavaasinaH || 2-12-28
27, 28. nopapadyate= None can go towards; parivaadaH= censure; apavaadovaa= or calumny; raaghave= in respect of Rama; strii sahasraa Naam= among thousands of women; bahuunaamcha= who are many and; upajiivanaam= among dependents; bahuunaam= who are numerous; saantvayan= Addressing gently; sarva bhuutaani= all created beings; shuddhena= with clear; chetasaa= mind; raamaH= Rama; manuja vyaaghraH= a tiger among men; gR^ihNaati= captivates; vishhaya vaasinaH= the people of his kingdom; priyaiH= by kind actions.
"No censure or calumny against Rama can come from the mouth of many of thousands of women or from numerous dependents maintained by me. Addressing gently all created beings with clear mind, Rama a tiger among men, captivates the people of his kingdom by his kind actions."
satyena lokaan jayati diinaan daanena raaghavaH |
guruun shushruushhayaa viiro dhanushaa yudhi shaatravaan || 2-12-29
29. raaghavaH= Rama; viiraH= the valiant; jayati= conquers; lokaan= men; satyena= by virtue; jayati= conquers; diinam= the poor; daanena= by charity; jayati= conquers; guruun= elders; shushruushhsyaa= by srevice; jayati= conquers; shaatravaan= enemies; dhanushhaa= by bow; yudhi= in battle.
"Rama the valiant, conquers men by virtue, the poor through charity, the elders by service, the enemies in battle by his bow."
satyam daanam tapastyago vitrataa shauchamaarjavam |
vidyaa cha gurushushruushhaa dhruvaaNyetaani raaghave || 2-12-30
30. satyam= Truthfulness; daanam= charity; tapaH= austerity; tyaagaH= sacrifice; shoucham= purity; aarjavam= straight forwardness; vidyaacha= learning; guru shushruushhaa= service to elders; etaani= these; dhruvaaNi= are firm; raaghave= in Rama.
"Truthfulness, charity, austerity, sacrifice, purity, straight forwardness, learning, service to elders-these firmly established in Rama."
tasminnaarjavasampanne devi devopame katham |
paapamaashamsase raame maharshhisamatejasi || 2-12-31
31. devii= Oh; queen!; katham= How; aashamsase= do you wish; paapam= harm; tasmin raame = to that Rama; aarjava sampanne= who is endowed with honesty; devopame= who is equal to god ; maharshhi sama tejasi= with splendour as of a great sage.
"Oh, Queen! How do you wish harm to that Rama who is richly endowed with honesty, who is equal to god and who is having splendour as of a great sage?"
na smaraamyapriyam vaakyam lokasya priyavaadinaH |
sa katham tvatkR^ite raamam vakshyaami priyamapriyam || 2-12-32
32. na smaraami= I do not remember; apriyam= unkind; vaakyam= words; priyavaadinaH= by Rama who speaks kindly words; lokasya= to men; saH = Such am I; katham= how; vakshhyaami= can I speak; apriyam= unkindly word; tvatkR^ite for your sake; raamam= to Rama; priyam= my beloved.
"I do not remember an unkind word spoken by Rama, who always speaks kindly words to all. As such, how can I for your sake, break unpalatable news to Rama the beloved."
kshamaa yasmin damastyaagaH satyam dharmaH kR^itajJNataa |
apyahimsaa cha bhuutaanaam tamR^ite kaa gatirmama || 2-12-33
33. kaa gatiH= What recourse in there; mama= for me; tam Rite= other than Rama; yasmin= in whom ; kshhamaa= forgiveness; damaH= asceticism; tyaagaH= self-denial; satyam= truthfulness; dharmaH= piety; kR^itaG^yataa= gratitude; apicha= and; ahimsa= harmlessness; bhuutaanaam= towards living beings.
"What recourse is there for me other than Rama, in whom forgiveness, asceticism, self-denial, truthfulness, piety, gratitude and harmlessness towards living beings exist."
mama vR^iddhasya kaikeyi gataantasya tapasvinaH |
diinam laalapyamaanasya kaaruNyam kartumarhasi || 2-12-34
34. kaikeyi= Kaikeyi!; arhasi= you ought; kartum= to show; kaaruNyam= mercy; mama= to me; vR^iddhasya= old man; gatantasya= who reached the end; tapasvinaH = distressed; laalapyamaanasya= coaxing painfully; diinam= miserably.
"Oh, Kaikeyi! You ought to bestow mercy to me, and old and miserable man who reached his end and is coaxing painfully to you"
pR^ithivyaam saagaraantaayaam yatkiJNchaidadhigamyate |
tatsarvam tava daasyaami maa cha tvaam manyuraavishet || 2-12-35
35. yatkiNchit= whichever; adhigamyate= can be attained; pR^ittivyaam= on earth; saagaraantaayaam= which has the sea as an end; tat sarvam = all that; daasyaami= I shall give; tava= you; manyuH ma avishet= Let not anger take possession of; tvaam= you .
"Whatever can be attained on earth, which has the sea an end, all that I can give you. Let not anger take possession of you
aJNjalim kurmi kaikeyi paadau chaapi spR^ishaami te |
sharaNam bhava raamasya maa.adharmo maamiha spR^ishet || 2-12-36
36. kaikeyi= Oh; Kaikeyi!; aNjalikurmi= I am folding my hands in salutation; spR^ishaami chaapi= Iam even touching; te= your ; paadou= feet.; bhava= Become; sharaNam= protector; raamasya= of Rama; adharmaH maa spR^ishet= Let not unrighteousness lay held ; maam= on me; iha= in this matter.
"Oh, Kaikeyi! I fold my hands in salutation to you. I am even touching your feet. Be a protector of Rama. Let not unrighteousness lay hold on me in this matter."
iti duHkhaabhisantaptam vilapantamachetanam |
ghuurNamaanam mahaaraajam shokena samabhiplutam || 2-12-37
paaram shokaarNavasyaashu praarthayantam punaH punaH |
pratyuvaachaatha kaikeyii raudraa raudraataram vachaH || 2-12-38
37; 38. atha= thereafter; roudraa= fierce; kaikeyii= Kaikeyi; pratyuvaacha= again spoke; roudrataram= fiercer; vachaH= words; raajaanaam= to the king Dasaratha; duHkhaabhisuntapam= who was burning with sorrow; iti= as aforesaid; vilapantam= who was wailing; achetanam= who was unconscious ; ghuurNamaanam= who was agitated; samabhuplitam= who was filled; shokena= with grief praarthayantam= who was longing for; paaram= to opposite bank; aashu= quickly; punaH punaH= again and again; shokaarNavasya= from the oceon of the sorrow.
The fierce Kaikeyi again spoke these fiercer words to Dasaratha, who was burning with sorrow and was wailing as aforesaid, who had fallen unconscious and was tossing about as he was filled with grief, and was praying again and again for being speedily borne across the sea of grief.
yadi datvaa varau raajan punaH pratyanutapyase |
dhaarmikatvam katham viira pR^ithivyaam kathayishhyasi || 2-12-39
39. raajan= Oh;King!; datvaa= Having again; varon= boons; pratyaanutapyase= if you repent; punaH punaH= again and again; viira= Oh;valiant!; katham= How; kathayishhyasi= can you proclaim; dharmikatvam= piety; pR^ithivyaam= on this earth?
"Oh, Valiant king! Having again boons, if you repent again and again how can you proclaim piety on this earth?"
yadaa sametaa bahavastvayaa raajarshhayassaha |
kathayishhyanti dharmajJNa tatra kim prativakshyasi || 2-12-40
40. dharmaG^ya= Oh, knower of what is right!; yadaa= When; bahuvaH= many; raajarshhayaH= royal saints; sametaaH= assemble; kathayishhyanti= converse; tvayaa= with you; tatra= then; kim= what; prativakshhyasi= will you reply?
"Oh, knower of what is right! When many royal saints assemble and converse with you, what will be your reply?"
yasyaaH prasaade jiivaami yaa cha maamabhyapaalayat |
tasyaaH kR^itam mayaa mithyaa kaikeyyaa iti vakshyasi || 2-12-41
41. prasaade= In graciousness; yasyaaH= of which Kaikeyi; jiivaami= I am living; yaa= which Kaikeyi; abhyapaalayat= protected; maam= me; tasyaaH = kaikeyyaaH= In such Kaikeyi's case; mithyaakR^itam= wrong was done; mayaa= by me; vakshhyasi= can you tell; iti= thus?
"Can you say" a wrong was done to Kaikeyi, on whose grace I am living now and who protected me earlier?"
kilbishham narendhraaNaam karishhyasi naraadhipa |
yo dattvaa varamadyaiva punaranyaani bhaashhase || 2-12-42
42. naraadhipaa= Oh; King!; yaH= you who; adyaiva= indeed today ; datvaa= gave; varam= boon; punaH= further; bhaashhase= talking; anyaami= in another way; tvam= such of you; karishhyasi= create; kilbishham= blemish; narendraa Naam= to kings.
"Oh, King! You having granted boons indeed today, now talk in another way, creating blemish on other kings"
shaibyaH shyenakapotiiye svamaamsaM pakshite dadau |
alarkashchakshushhii datvaa jagaama gatimuttamaam || 2-12-43
43. shaibyaH= Shaibya; dadau= gave; svamamsam= his own flesh; pakshhiNe= to the bird; shyena kapotiiye= when there was a dispute between a hawk and a pigeon; alarka= King Alarka; jagaama= obtained; uttamaam gatim= highest destiny; datvaa= by giving away; chakshhushhii= eyes.
When there was a dispute between a hawk and a pigeon (who were no other than Indra the ruler of gods and the god of fire respectively), the ruler of Sibis* gave away his own flesh to the bird and king Alarka* by parting with his eyes, attained to the highest destiny.
** Ruler of Sibi* We are told in our scriptures how in order to put the large-heartedness of the king to a test, Indra (the ruler of gods) and Agni (the god of fire) once appeared in his court in the disguise of a hawk and a pigeon. Being chased by the hawk, the pigeon which sought the kings protection, descended into his lap. The hawk which closely followed it, demanded it back from the king; contending that the bird had been allotted to it as its food by providence and the king had no right to rob it of its quarry. The king; however was not prepared to forsake the fugitive on any account and agreed to part with his own flesh in order to indemnify the hawk. The hawk however out weighed the king's flesh every time he chopped it from his body till at last he ascended the scale himself and thus offered himself in exchange for the pigeon. **Alarka*=The royal sage Alarka parted with his own eyes in order to implement a boon granted by him to a blind Brahmana who asked for the king's eyes in order to have his own eyesight restored.
saagaraH samayam kR^itvaana velaamativartate |
samayam maa.anR^itam kaarshhiiH purvavR^ittamanusmaran || 2-12-44
44. sagaraH= The ocean; kR^itvaa= by making; samayam= a promise; na ativartate= is not crossing; velaam= its coast; anusmaran= keeping in mind; puurva vR^ittam= the previous occurrences; maa kaarshhiiH= do not make; samayam= promise; anR^itam= as un truth.
"The ocean, having given a promise, never crosses its limits. Therefore, bearing in mind the previous occurrences do not violate the pledge given by you to me.
sa tvam dharmam parityajya raamam raajye.abhishhichyacha |
saha kaulasyayaa nityam rantumichchhasi durmate || 2-12-45
45. durmate= Oh; the evil minded!; saH tvam= You; as such; parityajya= by giving up; dharmama= righteousness; abhishhichyacha= and by installing; raamam= Rama; raajye= in the kingdom; ichhchhasi= you want; rantum= to enjoy life; kausalyayaa saha= with Kausalya along; nityam= for ever.
"Oh, the evil-minded! By giving up righteousness and by installing Rama in the kingdom, you want to enjoy life with Kausalya forever.
bhavatvadharmo dharmo vaa satyam vaa yadi vaanR^itam |
yattvayaa samshrutam mahyam tasya naasti vyatikramaH || 2-12-46
46. bhavatu= Let it be; adharmaH= un righteous; dharmovaa= or righteous; atyam vaa= real or; yadivaa= otherwise; anR^itam= hoax; yat= what ever; pratishrutam= is promised; tvayam= by you; mahyam= for me; naasti= there is no; vyati KramaH= change; tasya= to eat."
"Let it be unrighteous or righteous, real or hoax. There should be no change in whatever is promised by you for me.
aham hi vishhamadyaiva piitvaa bahu tavaagrataH |
pashyataste marishhyaami raamo yadyabhishhichyate || 2-12-47
47. raamaH abhishhichyate yadi= If Rama is coroneted; aham = I; marishhyaami hi= shall indeed die; te pashyapashyataH= before your eyes; piitvaa= by drinking; bahu= abundant; vishham= poison; adyaiva= now itself; agrataH= in front; tava= of you.
"If Rama is coroneted, I shall indeed die before your eyes by drinking abundant poison now itself in front of you."
ekaahamapi pashyeyam yadyaham raamamaataram |
aJNjalim pratigR^ihNantiim shreyo nanu mR^itirmama || 2-12-48
48. aham pashyeyam yadi= If I have to see; raama maataram= Kausalya; the mother of Rama; pratigr^ihNantiim= receiving; aN^jalim= salutation by joining palms; ekaahamapi= even for a day; mR^itiH= death; shreyaH nanu= is indeed better; mama= for me.
"If I have to see Kausalya, the mother of Rama receiving salutations even for day, death is indeed better for me."
bharatenaatmanaa chaaham shape te manujaadhipa |
yathaa naanyena tushhyeyamR^ite raamavivaasanaat || 2-12-49
49. manujaadhipa= O, King!; te= To you; shape= I swear an oath; bharatena= by Bharata; atmanaacha= and by myself; yathaa= that; na tushhyeyam= I will not be pleased with any thing; anyena= other than; raama vivaasanaat R^ite= with out sending Rama to exile.
"Oh, King! I swear to you an oath by Bharata and by myself that I will not be pleased with anything else other than sending Rama to exile."
etaavaduktvaa vachanam kaikeyii viraraama ha |
vilapantam cha raajaanam na prativyaajahaara saa || 2-12-50
50. kaikeyi= Kaikeyi; uktvaa= spoke; vachanam= words; etaavat= of such extent; viraraamaha= and stopped; saa= She; na prativyaajahaara= did not answer; raajaanam= to the king; vilapantam= who was wailing.
Kaikeyi spoke words of such extent and stopped. She did not further reply to the wailing.
shrutvaa tu raajaa kaikeyyaa vR^itam paramashobhanam |
raamasya cha vane vaasamaishvaryam bharatasya cha || 2-12-51
naabhyabhaashhata kaikeyyim muhuurtam vyaakulendriyaH |
51. shrutvaa= After hearing; raamasya= Rama's; vane vaasam= dwelling in forest; bharatasya= Bharata's; aishvaryamcha= sovereignty; vR^itam= asked; kaikeyyaa= by Kaikeyi; param= which are very much; ashobhanam= unwelcome; raajaatu= king Dasaratha nevertheless; vyaakulendriyaH= was perturbed; muhuurtam= for a moment; naabhyabhaashhata= did not speak; kaikeyiim= to Kaikeyi.
Hearing Kaikeyi's boons, asking for Rama's exile and Bharata's sovereignty which are very much unwelcome, king Dasaratha nevertheless was perturbed for a while and did not move his lips towards Kaikeyi.
praikshataanimishho deviim priyaamapriyavaadiniim || 2-12-52
taam hi vajrasamaam vaachamaakarNya hR^idayaa priyaam |
duHkhashokamayiim ghoraam raajaa na sukhito.abhavat || 2-12-53
52, 53. praikshhata= He kept gazing; animishhaH= without winking; daiviim= towards Kaikeyi; priyaam= the beloved; apriyavaadiniim= who was speaking disagreeable words; raajaa= The king; na abhuut= could not become; sukhitaH= comfortable; aakaraNya= on hearing; taam vaacham= that utterance; vajra samaanam= which was like thunderbolt; hR^idayaapriyaam= unkindly to heart; duHkha shokamayiim= full of pain and sorrow; ghoraam= terrible.
He kept gazing with unwinking eyes towards his beloved queen Kaikeyi, who spoke such disagreeable words. The king could not become comfortable on hearing that utterance, which was unkindly to his heart filling with pain and sorrow and was as terrible as a thunderbolt.
sa devyaa vyavasaayam cha ghoram cha shapatham kR^itam |
dhyaatvaa raameti nishshvasya chhinnastarurivaapatat || 2-12-54
54. dhyaatvaa= Thinking of; devyaaH= Kaikeyi's; vyavasaayamcha= resolve and; ghoram= terrible; sapathamcha= swearing; saH= he; ni shshasya= heaved a sigh; rama iti= uttering "Rama"; apatat= fell; taruriva= like a tree; chinnaH= which was cut off.
Reflecting over Kaikeyi's resolve and her terrible swearing, Dasaratha heaved a sigh, uttering "Rama" and fell like tree which was cut off.
nashhTachitto yathonmatto vipariito yathaaturaH |
hR^itatejaa yathaa sarpo babhuuva jagatiipatiH || 2-12-55
55. jagatiipatiH= King; the lord of the earth; babhuuva= become; unmattaH iva= like a mad man; nashhTa-chittaH= who lost his mind; aaturaH iva= like a patient; vipariitaH= getting upset; sarpaH iva= like a serpent; hR^ita tejaaH= bereft of fierceness.
Then the king become like mental a mad man who lost his equilibrium like an ailing man getting upset and like a serpent losing it's fierceness.
diinayaa tu giraa raajaa iti hovaacha kaikayim |
anarthamimamarthaabham kena tvamupadarshitaa || 2-12-56
bhuutopahatachitteva bruvantii maam na lajjase |
56. raajaa= The king; uvaacha ha= spoke; iti= thus; kaikeyiim= to Kaikeyi; diinayaa= in a distressed; giraa= tone; kena= By whom; tvam= you; upadarshhitaa= have been shown; anartham= this worthless thing; arthaabham= which appears to be worthwhile?; bhuutopa-hachiHena= Like a woman whose mind has been perverted by an evil spirit; na lajjase= you are not ashamed; bruvantii= to speak; maam= to me.
The king spoke to Kaikeyi in a distressed tone as follows "By whom have you been taught this worthless thing which appears to be worthwhile? Like a woman whose mind has been perverted by an evil spirit; you are not ashamed to speak to me.
shiilavyasanametatte naabhijaanaamyaham puraa |
balaayaastattvidaaniim te lakshaye vipariitavat || 2-12-57
57. puraa= In the beginning; aham= I; naaabhi jaanaami= was not knowing well; etat= this; te= your; shiila vyasanam= wavery conduct; tu= but; idaaniim= now; lakshhaye= I am seeing; tat= that; te= in you; vipariitavat= It is perverted.
"In the beginning, I was not knowing your wavery conduct in this way. But now, I am seeing it in you. It is perverted."
kuto vaa te bhayam jaatam yaa tvamevamvidam varam |
raashhTre bharatamaasiinam vR^iNiishhe raaghavam vane || 2-12-58
58. kutaH vaa= from whome; bhayam= fear; jaatam= is arisen; te= to you?; vR^iNiishhe= Asking for; varam= boon; evam vidham= in this way; bharatam= for Bharata; aasiinam= to be sitting; raashhTram= in empire; raaghavam= Rama; vane= to be staying in forest.
"From whom has such fear cropped up in you, so as to seek Bharata to be seated on the throne and Rama to stay in the forest?"
viramaitena bhaavena tvametenaanR^itena vaa || 2-12-59
yadi bhartuH priyam kaaryam lokasya bharatasya cha |
59. kaaryam yudi= If you want to do; priyam= favour; bhartuH= to your husband; lokasya= to the world; bharatasyacha= and to Bharata; tvam= you; virama= give up; etena bhaavena= this intention; anr^itena= which is sinful; etena vaa= to send Rama to exile.
"If you want to do favour to your husband, to the world at large and to Bharata, you give up this sinful intention of sending Rama to exile.
nR^ishamse paapasamkalpe kshudre dushhkR^itakaariNi || 2-12-60
kim nu duHkhamaLiikam vaa mayi raame cha pashyasi |
60. nR^ishamse= Oh; cruel one!; paapasankalpe= having sinful desires; kshhudre= Oh, wicked one; dushhkR^ita kaariNi= doing evil acts!; kim nu= which; duHkham= trouble some matter; aliikam vaa= or offence pashyasi= are you seeing; mayi= in me; raamecha= and in Rama?
"Oh, cruel! Petty minded woman of sinful resolve and wicked deed! Which grievance or offence are you finding in me or in Rama?"
na kathamchi dR^ite raamaadbharato raajyamaavaset || 2-12-61
raamaadapi hi tam manye dharmato balavattaram |
61. ramaa dR^ite= with out Rama; bharataH= Bharata; na aavaset= cannot take possession; raajayam= of kingdom; kathamchit= in any way; hi= for; manye= I think; tam= him; balavattaram= to be stronger; dharamataH= in virtue; raamaadapi= than Rama too.
"With out Rama, Bharata will not in any case take possession of the kingdom of Ayodhya as I think him to be stronger in virtue than even Rama."
katham drakshyaami raamasya vanam gachchheti bhaashhite || 2-12-62
mukhavarNam vivarNam tam yathaivendumupaplutam |
62. bhaashhite= Having spoken; iti= thus; "vanam gachchha"= "proceed to the forest"; katham= how; drakshhyaami= can I see; vivarNam= pale; mukham= face; raamasya= of Rama; indumiva= resembling in the moon; upaplutam= which is eclipsed.
"Having uttered the words 'proceed to the forest! How can I behold the pale face of Rama resembling an eclipsed moon?"
taam hi me sukR^itaam buddhim suhR^idbhiH saha nishchitaam || 2-12-63
katham drakshyaamyapaavR^ittaam parairiva hataam chamuum |
kim maam vakshyanti raajaano naanaadigbhyaH samaagataah || 2-12-64
baalo bataaya maikshvaakashchiram raajyamakaarayat |
63, 64. katham= How; drakshhyaami= can I see; taam vuddhim= that reasonable view; me= of mine; sukR^itaam= which was well-made; suhR^idbhiH saha= along with friends; nishchitaam= which was settled; apaavR^itaam= being retreated; chamuumiva= like an army; hataam= destroyed; paraiH =by enemies?; kim= what; raajaanaH= the kings; samaagataaH= who came; naanaa digbhyaH= from many directions; vakshhyanti=wee speak; maam= about me?; ayam ikshhvaakaH= This Dasaratha; baalaH= a fool; akaarayat= was ill-doing; raajyam= the kingdom; chiram= for a long time.
"How can I see that reasonable view of mine, which was well made in consultation with friends and decided, being foiled like an army destroyed by enemies? What the kings who came from many directions, will speak about me? 'Alas', this king Dasaratha, a fool was ruling this kingdom for such a long time!"
yadaa tu bahavo vR^iddhaa guNavanto bahushrutaah || 2-12-65
pariprakshyanti kaakutthsam vakshyaami kimmahaam tadaa |
65. yadaa= When; bahuvaH vR^iddhhaaH= many elders; guNavantaH= who are virtuous; vahushRutaaH= very knowledgeable; pariprakshhyanti= ask; maam= me; kaakuthsam= about Rama; tadaa= then; aham kim vakshhyaami= what can I tell?.
"When many virtuous and learned elders enquire me about Rama, what then shall I tell them?"
kaikeyyaa klishyamaanena raamaH pravraajito mayaa || 2-12-66
yadi satyam braviimyetattadasatyam bhavishhyati |
66. bramiimi yadi= If I tell; etat= this; satyam= truth; raamaH= Rama; pravraajitaH= was sent; vanam= to forest; mayaa= by me; klishyamaanena= hard-pressed; kaikeyyaa= by Kaikeyi; tat= that; bhavishhyati= will become; asatyam= untruth.
"Even if I tell the truth that Rama was sent to forest by me, hard-pressed as I was by Kaikeyi, nobody will believe it and think as untruth.
kim maam vakshyati kausalyaa raaghave vanamaasthite || 2-12-67
kim chainaam prativakshyaami kR^itvaa chaapriyamiidR^isham |
67. raaghave= Rama; aasthite= having proceeded; vanam= to forest; kim= what; kausalyaa= Kausalya; vakshhyati= will say; maam= to me?; kR^itvaacha= Having done; iidR^isham= such; apriyam= unkind act; kim= what; prativakshhyaami= can I reply; enaam= to he?
"What will Kausalya say to me if Rama proceeds to forest? What can I, having done an unkind act, reply to her?"
yadaa yadaa hii kausalyaa daasiivachcha sakhiiva cha || 2-12-68
bhaaryaavadbhaginiivachcha maatR^ivachchopatishhThati |
satatam priyakaamaa me priyaputraa priyamvadaa || 2-12-69
na mayaa satkR^itaa devi satkaaraarhaa kR^ite tava |
68, 69. devi= Oh; Kaikeyi!; yadaahi= Whenever; kausalya= Kauslaya; me priyakaamaa= who was desirous of showing kindness to me; satatam= always; priya putraa= who having a pet son; priyam vadaa= who speaks kind words; catkaaraarhaa= who deserves to be kindly treated; upatishhThati= was waiting on me; daasiivachcha= like a maid servant; sakhiivachcha= like a friend; bhaaryavat= like a wife; bhaginiivachcha= like a sister; maatR^ivachcha= like a mother; tava kR^ite= For your sake; nasatkR^itaa= she was never treated kindly; mayaa= by me.
"Oh, Kaikeyi! Whatever Kausalya, who was always desirous of showing kindness to me, who was blessed with a pet son, who speaks kind words and who deserves to be kindly treated, was waiting on me like a maid-servant, like a friend, like a wife, like a sister and like a mother. But, for your sake, she was never treated kindly by me.
idaaniim tattapati maam yanmayaa sukR^itam tvayi || 2-12-70
avathyavyaJNjanonopetam bhuktamannamivaaturam |
70. tvayi= For you; tat= that; sukr^itam yat= which is done good; mayaa= by me; tapati= is hurting; maam= me; aaturamiva= like a patient; bhuktam= who has eaten; annam= a meal; apathya vyanjanopetam= with forbidden sauces.
"That which was done good be me for you, is hurting me now even as a meal taken with forbidden sauces fills an ailing person with repentance."
viprakaaram cha raamasya samprayaaNam vanasya cha || 2-12-71
sumitraa prekshyavai bhiitaa katham me vishvasishhyati |
71. katham= How ; sumitraa= Sumitra; bhiitaa = who is afraid ; ; prekshhya= of Rama; viprakaaram= being treated with contempt; samprayaa Namcha= and of his departure; vanasya= to forest; vishvasishhyati= will put faith; me= in me?.
Being apprehensive of seeing Rama being treated with contempt and his exile to the forest, how will Sumitra put faith in me?"
kR^ipaNam bata vaidehii shroshhyati dvayamapriyam || 2-12-72
maam cha paJNchatvamaapannam raamam cha vanamaashritam |
72. vaidehii= Seetha; bata= alas; shroshhyati= will hear; kR^ipaNam= woefully; dvayam= two news; apriyam= which are unpleasant; maam= of me; paNchatvam aapannam= having be fallen to death; raamamcha and of Rama; vanam aashritam= seeking refuge in the forest.
"Seetha, alas, will hear woefully two unpleasant, of me having befallen to death and of Rama seeking refuge in the forest."
vaidehii bata me praaNaan shochantii kshapayishhyati || 2-12-73
hiinaa himavataH paarshvae kinnareNena kinnaraa |
73. bata= Alas!; kinnariiva= Like a kinnara; himavathaH paarshve= at the side of Himalayan hill; vaidehi= Seetha; shochantii= with grief ; kshhapayishhyati= will make me lose; me paaNaam= my life.
"Alas! Like a Kinnara girl bereft of her partner at the side of Himalayan hill, Seetha with her grief will make me lose my life."
na hi raamamaham dR^ishhTva pravasantam mahaavane || 2-12-74
chiram jiivitumaashamse rudatiim chaapi maithiliim |
74. dR^ishhTvaa= Seeing; raamam= Rama; pravasantam= dwelling; mahaavane= in great forest; maithiliimcha= and Seetha; rudatiim= lamenting; aham= I; na aashamse hi= can not indeed desire; jiivitum = to live.
"Seeing Rama dwelling in a great forest and Seetha lamenting, I cannot indeed desire to line."
saa nuunam vidhavaa raajyam saputraa kaarayishhyasi ||2-12-75
na hi pravaajite raame devi jiivitumutsahe |
75. devi= Oh; Kaikeyi!; saa= You as such; vidhavaa= a widow; saputraa= along with son; nunaam= certainly; raajyam kaarayishhyasi= can rule the kingdom; raame pravraajite= After Rama's exile; na utsahe hi= I do not indeed wish; jiivitum = to live.
"Oh, Kaikeyi! Deprived of your husband, you can as such rule the kingdom along with your son. It is indeed impossible for me to survive, after Rama's exile"
satiim tvaamahamatyantam vyavasyaamyasatiim satiim || 2-12-76
ruupiNiim vishhasamyuktaam piitveva madiraam narah |
76. vyavasyaami= I considered; satiim= you as good and virtuous wife; piitveva= as of drinking; madiraam= wine; vishhasamyuktaam= with poison; naraH= by man; tvaam= you; atyantam= the perpetually; asatiim satiim= bad wife; ruupiNiim= with beautiful form .
"I considered you, a good and virtuous wife as you are, proving to be perpetually bad wife, as one, having drunk wine with poison, though possessing an attractive appearance, concludes it to be obnoxious.
anR^itairbahu maam saanvaiHsaa ntvayantii sma smabhaashhase || 2-12-77
giitashabdena samrudhya lubdho mR^igamivaavadhiiH |
77. anR^itaiH= with untruthful; saatvaiH= gentle words; bhaashhasesma= you used to speak; maam= to me; bahu= very; saantvayantii= consolingly; mR^igam iva= as to a deer; avadhiiH= being killed; lubdhaH= by a hunter; samrudhya= after enticing; giita sabdena= by melodious sounds.
"You used to speak to me very consolingly with untruthful gentle words like a deer being killed by a hunter after enticing it with melodious sounds."
anaarya iti maamaaryaaH putravikraayikam dhruvam || 2-12-78
dhikkarishhyanti rathyaasu suraapam braahmaNam yathaa |
78. aaraaH = venerable people; rathyaasu= in the streets; dhikkarishhyanti= will reproach; maam= me; putravikraayikam= who has sold away the son; anarya= iti= that Iam bad; braahmaNam yathaa= like a brahmana; suraapan= who drank wine; dhruvam= It is certain.
"Venerable people gathered in the streets will reproach me who has sold away my son, saying that I am as bad as a brahmana who drinks wine. It is certain."
aho duHkhamaho kR^ichchhram yatra vaachaH kshame tava || 2-12-79
duHkhamevamvidham praaptam puraakR^itamivaashubham |
79. aho duHkam= Oh; how distressing!; aho kR^ichchram= Oh; how painful!; yatra= In which cercumstances; kshhame= Iam forbearing; tava= your; vaachaH= words; ashubham iva= Like evil consequence; puraaKR^tam= of a previous life; praaptam= I got; evam vidham= this type of ; duHkham= trouble.
"Alas! How was distressing and how painful it is that I have to forbear your words! I got this type of trouble as an evil consequence earned in a previous life."
chiram khalu mayaa paape tvam paapenaabhirakshitaa || 2-12-80
ajJNaanaadupasampannaa rajjurudbamdhinii yathaa |
80. paape= Oh; sinful one!; tvam= you; abhirakshhitaa= have been maintained; chiram= so long; aG^yaanaat= because of ignorance; mayaa= by me; papena= who is sinful; upasampannaa= You have become; rajjuH yathaa= like a rope; udbandhinii= used for hanging up.
"Like a rope used for hanging up one's neck through ignorance; Oh sinful woman; you have been lovingly maintained by me, sinful as I am"
ramamaaNastvayaa saardham mR^ityum tvaa naabhilakshaye || 2-12-81
baalo rahasi hastena kR^ishhNasarpamivaaspR^isham |
81. ramamaaNaH= Enjoying life; tvayaa= saardham; with you; with you; naabhilakshhaye I could not recognise; tvaa= you; mR^ityum= as death; aaspR^isham= I touched you; kR^ishhna sarpamiva= like a cobra; hastena= with hand; baalaH= by a child; rahasi= in a deserted place.
"Enjoying life with you, I could not recognise you as death. I touched you, like cobra touched with hand by a child in a deserted place.
mayaa hyapitR^ikaH putraHsa mahaatmaa duraatmanaa || 2-12-82
tam tu maam jiivaloko.ayam nuunamaakroSTumarhati |
82. saH= That Rama; mahatmaH= the great souled; apitR^ikaH= is father-less mayaa= by me; duraatmanaa= the evil minded; ayam= This; jivalokaH= world of living beings; arhahi= is fit; aakroshhTum= to curse; maam= me; tam= as such; nuunam= certainly.
"This world of living beings is certainly fit to curse me, such as I am; saying that Rama the great souled is deprived of fatherly protection by me, the evil-minded.
baalisho bata kaamaatmaa raajaa dasharatho bhR^isham || 2-12-83
yaH striikR^ite priyam putram vanam prasthaapayishhyati |
83. bata= Alas!; yaH= which Dasaratha; vanam prasthaapayishhyati= sending to forest; putram= the son; strikR^te= for the sake of a woman; raajaa dasharathaH= that king Dasaratha; kaamaatmaa= whose mind is lustful; bhR^isham= a great; baalishaH= fool.
Alas! Extremely foolish is king Dasaratha; whose mind is lustful for a woman and sent his son to the forest.
vrataishcha brahmacharyaishcha gurubhishchapakarshitaH || 2-12-84
bhogakaale mahatkR^ichchhram punareva prapatsyate |
84. upakarshitaH= Emaciated ; vrataiHcha= by voes; brahmacharyaishcha= by study of vedas; gurubhishcha= and by preceptors; (Rama); bhogakaale= during the period of enjoyment ; prapatsyate= got; punaH iva= again; mahat= a great; kR^ichchhram= hardship.
"Emaciated by vow's, by study of Vedas and by service to his preceptors, Rama will indeed during the period of enjoyment, again undergo a great hardship.
naalam dvitiiyam vachanam putro maam prati bhaashhitum || 2-12-85
sa vanam pravrajetyukto baaDhamityeva vakshyati |
85. putraH= my son; naalam= is incapable; bhashhitum= of speaking ; dvitiiyam= second; vachanam= word; maam prati= to me; uktaH= Having been hold; iti= thus; vanam vraja= to go to forest; saH= he; vakshhyati= will say; baadham ityeva= "Be it so.
"My son Rama is incapable of saying a second word to me to go to forest, he will say "Be it so."
yadi me raaghavaH kuryaadvanam gachcheti choditaH || 2-12-86
pratikuulam priyam me syaanna tu vatsaH karishhyati |
86. raaghavaH kuryaat yadi= If Rama does ; pratikuulam= contrary; me = to me; choditaH= when commanded; iti= thus; gachchha= to go; vanam= to forest; tat= it; syaat= will become; priyam= dear; me= to me; vastsaH tu= But; the darling; na karishhyati= will not do it.
"If Rama does contrary to my command to go to forest, it will be most welcome to me. But, Rama the darling would never do so."
shuddhibhaavo hi bhaavam me na tu jJNaasyati raaghavaH || 2-12-87
sa vanam pravraje tyuktobaaDha vityeva vakshyati |
87. raaghavaH= Rama; ; suddha bhaavaH= who is pure minded; na G^yaasyati hi= cannot indeed conjucture; me= my; bhaavam tu= way of thinking; uktaH= Having been told; iti= thus; pravraja= he will say ; baadham iti eva= "Be it so.
"Rama, who is pure minded; cannot indeed conjecture my way of thinking. Having been told to go to the forest, he will say "Be it so.
raaghave hi vanam praapte sarvalokasya dhikkR^itam || 2-12-88
mR^ityurakshamaNiiyam maam nayishhyati yamakshayam |
88. raaghave= Rama; vanam prapte= having reached forest; mR^ityuH = Death; nayishhyati= will lead; maam= me; dhikkR^itam= who is condemned; sarvalokasya= by all men; akshhamaNiiyam = to the abode of Yama; god of punishment.
"On Rama reaching the forest, Death will take me, who is condemned by all men and unpardonable, to the abode of Yama the god of punishment."
mR^ite mayi gate raame vanam manujapuN^gave || 2-12-89
ishhTe mama jane sheshhe kim paapam prativatsyase |
89. raame= Rama; manuja puNgava= the foremost among men; vanam gate= on leaving for forest; mayi-I; mR^ite= having been dead; kam= what; paapam= sinful act; pratipatsyate= can you think of; sheshhe= remaining; mama ishhTe jane= people beloved of me.
"Rama the foremost among men-having left for the forest and I having been dead, what sinful act can you think of the remaining people beloved of me."
kausalyaa maam cha raamam cha putrau cha yadi haasyati || 2-12-90
duHkhaanyasahatii devii maamevaanumarishhyati |
90. devi kausalya= The queen Kausalya; haasyati yadi= after losing; maamcha= me; raamamcha= Rama; putroucha= and sons Lakshana and shatrughna; asahatii= not bearing with; duHkhaani= the woes; maameva anumarishhyati= will follow me to the abode of Yama.
"The queen Kausalya, after losing me, Rama and sons Lakshmana and satrughna, will be enable to endure the woes and will follow me to the abode of Yama."
kausalyaam cha sumitraam cha maam cha putraistribhiH saha ||2-12-91
prakshivya narake saa tvam kaikeyi sukhitaa bhava |
91. kaikeyi= Oh; Kaikeyi!; prakshhipya= Having thrown; kausalyaamcha= Sumitra; tribhiH putraIH saha= along with three sons; maamcha= and myself; narake= into hell; tvam= you; saa= as such; sukhitaa bhava= be happy!"
"Having thrown Kausalya, Sumitra along with three sons and myself into tortures of hell, you be happy!."
mayaa raameNa cha tyaktam shaashvatam satkR^itam guNaiH || 2-12-92
ikshvaakukulamakshobhyamaakulam paalayishhyasi |
92. paalayishhyasi= You will be protect; aakulam= by bringing disorder; ikshhvaaku kulam= to Ikshvaku dynasty; shaashvatam= which was eternal; satkR^itam= which was adorned with; guNaiH= qualities; akshhobhyam= which could not be disturbed; tyaktam= being abandoned; mayaa= by me; raameNacha= and Rama.
"Being abandoned by me and Rama, the Ikshhvaaku dynasty which was eternal, which was adorned with qualities, which could not be disturbed, will now be protected by you by bringing disorder."
priyam chedbharatasyaitadraamapravraajanam bhavet || 2-12-93
maa sma me bharataH kaarshhiit pretakR^ityam gataayushhaH |
93. priyam bhavet chet= If it becomes agreeable ; bharatasya= to Bharata; etat= this; raama pravraajanam = sending of Rama to exile; maasma kaarshhiit= let not Bharata to do ; preta kR^ityam= funeral rite; me= to me; gataayushhaH= when life has departed.
"If it becomes agreeable to Bharata to send Rama to exile, let not Bharata do funeral rite to me, when life has departed.
hantaanaarye mamaamitre sakaamaa bhava kaikayi || 2-12-94
mR^ite mayi gate raame vanam purushhapuN^gave |
sedaaniim vidhavaa raajyam saputraa kaarayishhyasi || 2-12-95
94, 95. hanta= Alas!; mama amitre= my adversary!; anarye= Oh; vulger lady!; kaikeyi= Kaikeyi; bhava= Become; sakaamaa= fulfiller of desires!; raame= when Rama; purushha puNgave= the best of men; vanam gate= goes to forest; mayi mR^ite= when Iam dead; saa= such of you; vidhavaa= a widow; saputraa= along with son; idaaniim= now; raajyam kaarayishhyasi= will rule over the Kingdom.
"Alas! My adversary! Oh, vulgar lady, Kaikeyi! Become satisfied with your desires! When I am dead consequent on Rama, the foremost of men, having proceeded to forest, you a widow along with your son will then rule over the kingdom."
tvam raajaputriivaadena nyavaso mama veshmani |
akiirtishchaatulaa loke dhruvaH paribhavashcha me || 2-12-96
sarvabhuuteshhu chaavajJNaa yathaa paapakR^itastathaa |
96. tvam= You; nyavasaH= were residing; mama veshmani= in my house; raajaputriivadena= with a designation of princess; me= To me; loke = in the world; atulaa= unequalled; akiirtiH= ill-fame; paribhavavashcha= and insult; dhR^ivaH= are certain; avaG^Yaa= disrespect; yathaa tathaa= as surely as; paapakR^ituH= to one who incurred sin.
"You are residing in my house with the designation of a princess. All fame, which is unequalled in this world and lasting insult as well as disrespect of men will fall to my share as to a perpetrator of sins.
katham rathairvibhurgatvaa gajaashvaishcha muhurmuhuH || 2-12-97
padbhyaam raamo mahaaraNye vatso me vichariSyati |
97. katham= How; me vatsaH= my beloved son ; raamaH= Rama; yaatvaa= who was going; vibhuH= as a Lord; muhurmuhuH= again and again; rathaiH= in chariots; gajaashvaishcha= in elephants and horses; vicharishhyati= will move; padbhyaam= on foot; mahaaraNye= in a great forest?
"How can my beloved son Rama, who was hitherto travelling as a Lord time again in chariots elephants and horses, will move on foot in a great forest?"
yasya tvaahaarasamaye suudaaH kuNDaladhaariNaH || 2-12-98
ahampurvaaH pachanti sma prashastam paanabhojanam |
sa kathannu kashhaayaaNi tiktaani kaTukaani cha || 2-12-99
bhakshayanvanyamaahaaram suto me vartayishhyati |
98, 99. yasya= In whose; ahaarasamaye= dining time; sundaaH= cooks; kuNdala dhaariNaH= wearing ear-rings; aham= purvaaH= saying " I being in front"; pachantisma= cooking; prashastam= excellent; paana bhajanam= food and drinks; saH= such; mesutaH= of my son; katham= how; vartayishhyatinu= will he servive; bhakshhayan= By eating; kashhaayaaNi= asrtringent; tiktaani= bitter; katukaani= and pungent; vanyam aahaaram= wild foods?
How will my sin; in whose dining time; cooks wearing ear-rings used to prepare excellent food and drinks trying to finish their work before others actually survive by eating astringent bitter and pungent wild foods?"
mahaarhavastrasamviito bhuutvaa chirasukhoshhitaH || 2-12-100
kaashaayaparidhaanastu katham bhuumau nivatsyati |
100. katham vaa= How; mahaarhavastra samviitaH= having worn costly robes; chira sukhochitaH= will Rama who is deserving of lasting comforts; nivatsyati= be in; kaashhayaparidhaanaH= brown-red clothing; bhuumau= on earth?
"How having worn costly robes, will Rama who is deserving of lasting comforts, be in brown-red clothing on this earth?"
kasyaitaddhaaruNam vaakyamevam vidhamachintitam || 2-12-101
raamasyaaraNyagavanam bharatasyaiva maataram |
101. kasya= whose ; daaruNam= terrific; achintitam= and thoughtless; vaakyam= words; evam vidham= of such a kind; etat= is this; raamasya araNyagamanam= of Rama going to forest; bharatasya abhishhechanam= and of Bharata's consecration as king.
"Whose terrific and thoughtless words are these of one demanding Rama's exile to forest and the other of Bharata's consecration as king?"
dhigastu yoshhito naama shaThaaH svaarthaparaassadaa || 2-12-102
na braviimi striyaH sarvaa bharatasyaiva maataram |
102. yoshhitaH naama= Woman indeed; shaThaaH are deceivers; sadaa= ever; svaarthaparaaH= occupeid with selfishness; dhik astu= Let them condemned!; na braaviimi= I am not mentioning; sarvaH striyaH= of all woman; bharatasya maataram eva= but of Bharata's mother only
"Women of course are deceivers, even occupied with selfishness. Let them be condemned! Here, I am not mentioning of all women but of Bharata's mother only."
anarthabhaave.a rthapare nR^ishamse |
mamaanutaapaaya nivishhTabhaave |
kimapriyam pashyasi mannimittam |
hitaanukaariNyathavaapi raame || 2-12-103
103. anartha bhaave= Oh; the evil natured! arthapare= the selfishone!; nR^ishamse= the cruel one!; nivishhTa bhaave= one having a settled opinion; mama anutaapaaya= for my grief; kim= what; apriyam= mischief; pashyasi= are you seeing mannimittam= because of me; athavaapi= or; naame= in Rama; hitaanukaariNi= the benefactor
"Oh, cruel woman of evil intent; given to pursuit of your selfish ends, you have a settled disposition to bring grief to me. What a mischief do you expect through me or through Rama, who is always doing benefit to you?"
parityajeyuH pitaro hi putraan |
bhaaryaaH vatiimshchaapi kR^itaanuraagaaH |
kR^itsnam hi sarvam kupitam jagatsyaa |
ddR^ishhTve raanan vtasabe bunagban || 2-12-104
104. dR^ishhTvaiva= Immediately on seeing ; raamam= Rama; nimagnam= immersed; vyasane= in adversity; pitaraH= fathers; parityajeyuH= leave off; putraan= sons; bhaaryaaH= wives; kR^itaanuraagaaH= who were be loved; patiimshchaapi= the husbands; sarvam= All; kR^itsnam= the entire; jagat= world; kupitam syaat= gets furious.
"On seeing Rama plunged in adversity fathers leave of their sons and wives too their husbands. Not, even the entire world gets exasperated."
aham punardevakumaararuupa |
malakR^itam tam sutamaavrajantam |
nandaami pashyannapi darshanena |
bhavaami dR^ishhTvaa cha punaryuveva || 2-12-105
105. aham punaH= I for one; randaami= rejoice; pashyan= by seeing; tam sutam= that son; devakumaara ruupam= in the form of adivine boy; alamkR^itam= and adorned with ornaments; aavrajantam= coming; darshanenaapi= in proximity to look at; dR^ishhTvaa= By seeing; punaH= again; bhavaamicha= I also become; yuveva= like youth.
"I, for one, rejoice by seeing that son Rama in the form of a divine boy, adorned with ornaments coming in proximity to me. By seeing him again and again, I get rejuvenated."
vinaapi suuryeNa bhavetpravR^itti |
ravarshhtaa vajradhareNa vaapi |
raamam tu gachchhantamitaH samiikshya |
jiivenna kashchittviti chetanaa me || 2-12-106
106. pravR^ittiH= Active life; bhavet= may be possible; suryeNa vinaapi= even without the sun or; vajradhareNa= the wielder of the thunderbolt(Indra); avarshhataa vaapi= also not pouring rain; tu= But; me chetanaa= my opinion; iti= is that; kashchit= not even me; jiivet= will survive; samiikshhya= by seeing; raamam= Rama; gachchhantam= departing; itaH= from here.
"Active life may not be possible even without sun or even Indra (the wielder of thunder bolt) not pouring rain. But, my opinion is that not even one will survive, by seeing Rama departing from here."
maavaasayam mR^ityumivaatmanastvam |
chiram bataaN^kena dhR^itaasi sarpii |
mahaavishha tena hato.asmi mohaat || 2-12-107
107. aavaasayam= I lodged in my house; tvaam= you; vinaashkaamaam= who seek my destruction; mR^tyumiva= as death; aatmanaH= one's own; amitraam= enemy; bata= Alas!; tena= on account of; mohaat= ignorance; mahaavishhaa= a highly venomous; serpii= a female serpant; dhR^itaasi= has been held; aNkena= on my lap; chiram= so long; hataHasmi= I am undone!
"I lodged in my house, as one would one's own mortal enemy, you, who seek my destruction and are unfriendly. Alas, due to ignorance, a highly venomous female serpent has been held on my lap so long and therefore I am undone."
mayaa cha raameNa salakshmaNena |
prashaastu hiino bharatastvayaa saha |
puram cha raashhTram cha nihatya baandhavaan |
mamaahitaanaam cha bhavaabhiharshhiNii || 2-12-108
108. bharataH= Bharata; tvayaa saha= along withyou; hiinaH= without; mayaa= me; raameNa= Rama; salakshmaNena= along with Lakshmana; prashaastu= rule over; puramcha= the city and; raashhtramcha= the state; nihitya= after killing; baandhavaan= the relatives; bhava= Become; abhiharshhiNii= the one who beings delight; mama ahitaanaam= to my enemies.
"Bereft of me as also Rama and Lakshmana, let Bharata along with you, rule over the city and the state. After killing your relatives, bring delight to my enemies."
nR^ishamsavR^itte vyasanaprahaariNi |
prasahya vaakyam yadihaadya bhaashhase |
na naama te kena mukhaatpatantyadho |
vishiiryamaaNaa dashanaa ssahasradhaa || 2-12-109
109. nR^ishamsavR^itte= Oh; cruel natured!; vyasana prahaariNi= One who has struck a blow in adversity!; yat= which; vaakyam= words; bhaashhase= you utter; prasahya= violently; adya= now ; kena= why; dashanaa= the teeth; te mukhaat= from your mouth; na naama patanti= have not fallen; athaH= down; vishiiryamaaNaaH= breaking into; sahasradhaa= thousands of pieces.
"Oh, cruel natured! One who has struck a blow in adversity! When you violently utter such words now, why the teeth from your mouth have not fallen down, breaking into thousands of pieces?"
na kimchidaahaahitamapriyam vacho |
na vetti raamaH parushaaNi Bhaashhitum |
kathannu raame hyabhiraamavaadini |
braviishhi doshhaan guNanityasammate || 2-12-110
110. raamaH= Rama; na aaha= does not speak; vachaH= a word; kimchit= even a little; ahitam= which is malevolent or; priyam= unkindly or; na vetti= does not know how to; bhashhItum= say; parushhaaNi= harsh words. katham nu= How indeed; bravishhi= are you telling; doshhaan= faults; raame= of Rama; abhiraama vaadini= who talks beautifully; guNa nityasammate= who is ever respected for his virtues.
"Rama does not speak a word which is even a little malevolent or unkindly. He does not know how to utter harsh words. How indeed are you recounting the faults of Rama, who talks beautifully and who is always admired for his virtues"
prataamya vaa prajvala vaa praNashya vaa |
sahasrasho vaa sphuTitaa mahiim vraja |
na te karishhyami vachaH sudaaruNam |
mamaahitam kekayaraajapaamsani || 2-12-111
111. kekaraaja paamsani= Oh; a black -gaurd to keka dynasty!; prataamya vaa= you faint away; prajjvalavaa= or flare up; praNashyavaa= or perish!; vrajavaa= or enter; mahiim= the earth; sphutitaa= split up; sahasrashaH= into thousands of cracks; na karishhyaami= I will not act; vachaH= (on your word)word; sudaaruNam= which is very cruel; ahitam= which is inimical; mama= to me.
"Oh, Kaikeyi, the black guard of Keka dynasty! You may faint away or flare up or perish or enter the earth split up into thousands of cracks! I will not act on your word which is very cruel and inimical to me."
kshuropamaam nityamasatpriyamvadaam |
pradushhTabhaavaam svakulopaghaatiniim |
na jiivitum tvaam vishhahe.amanoramaam |
didhakshamaaNaam hR^idayam sabandhanam || 2-12-112
112. na vishhahe= I do not wish; jiivitum= the survival; tvaam= of you; khhuropamaam= who are like a razor; nityam= always; asatpriyam vadaam= speaking untruthful pleasing words; pradushhTa bhaavaam= evil-natured; svakulopaghaatiniim= the one who damages one's own race; amanoramaam= repellant to the mind; didhakshha maaNam= intending to burn; hR^idayam-my heart; sabandhanam= along with vitals.
"I do not wish the survival of you, who are destructive like a razor, always speaking falsely pleasing words, are of evil natured, disastrous to the family, intent upon burning my heart along with vitals and repellent to my mind."
na jiivitam me.asti punaH kutaH sukham |
vinaatmajenaatmavataH kuto ratiH |
mamaahitam devi na k kartumarhasi |
spR^ishaami paadaavapi te prasiida me || 2-12-113
113. naasti= There is no; jiivitam= life; me = to me; aatmajena vinaa= without my son; kutaH= How; sukham= happiness; punaH= more over?; aatmavataH= While I survive; kutaH= from whom ; ratiH= (there be) joy?; devii= Oh; queen!; na arhasi= you ought not; kartum= to do; ahitam= unfriendly act; mama= to me; spR^ishaamyapi= I also touch; te= your; paadon= feet; prasiida= Be gracious; me= to me.
"There is no life to me without my son. How can there be happiness moreover? From whom else can there be joy, while I survive? Oh, queen! You ought not to do an unfriendly act to me. I even touch your feet. Be gracious to me."
sa bhuumipalo vilapannanaathavat |
striiyaa gR^ihiito hR^idaye.atimaatrayaa |
papaata devyaashcharaNau prasaaritaa |
pubhaavasampraapya yathaaturastathaa || 2-12-114
114. bhuumipaalaH= King; gR^ihiitaH= who has been gripped; hR^idaye= in the heart; striyaa= by wife; atimaatrayaa= who transgressed all bounds of decorum; vilapan= wailing; anaathavat= like a forlorn child; asamprayaa= not reaching; davyaaH= Kaikeyi's; ubhon charaNou= both the feet; prasaaritou= which were spread along; papaata= sank down; yathaa tathaa= like; aaturaH= an ailing man.
That king, who has been gripped in the heart his by his wife, who transgressed all bounds of decorum, he wailing like a forlorn child and not reaching Kaikeyi's both the feet which were spread along, sank down like an ailing man.
ityaarShe shriimadraamaayaNe aadikaavye ayodhyaakaaNDe dvaadashah sargaH
Thus, this is the 12th chapter in Ayodhya Kanda of Valmiki Ramayana, the First Epic poem of India.
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© 2008, K. M. K. Murthy [Revised : August 08]