Book III : Aranya Kanda - The Forest Trek
Shuurpanakha comes again to her brother Khara to report that all the fourteen demons sent by him are slain by Rama. She persuades him to wage a war against Rama and Lakshmana and annihilate them for they intruded into Dandaka and there is every possibility of onslaught by them on demons.
sa puna× patit˜m d®ÿ÷v˜ krodh˜t þ¨rpaõakh˜m khara× |
uv˜ca vyaktat˜ v˜c˜ t˜m anartha artham ˜gat˜m || 3-21-1
1. saH kharaH = he, Khara; punaH patitaam shuurpaNakhaam dR^iSTvaa=again, fallen - before him, Shuurpanakha, on seeing; anartha artham aagataam = calamity, for the purpose of, came back - to wreck havoc on; taam= to her; vyaktataa vaacaa= in clear, words; krodhaat uvaaca= furiously, said.
On seeing Shuurpanakha who came back only to wreck havoc on demonic race and again fell before him as before, Khara spoke this sentence to her in clear terms in all his fury. [3-21-1]
may˜ tu id˜nŸm þ¨r˜× te r˜kÿas˜ piþita aþan˜× |
tvat priy˜rtham vinirdiÿ÷˜× kim artham rudyate puna× || 3-21-2
2. mayaa= by me; tvat priya artham= your, wish, to fulfill; idaaniim= just now; pishita ashanaaH = flesh, eating, demons; shuuraaH= fearless ones; te raakSasaa= those, demons are; vinirdiSTaaH [vi nir diSTaaH]= very, clearly, directed] commanded; punaH kim artham rudyate= again, what, for, it is wept - you howl.
"What for your are howling again when I have just now commanded those fearless flesh eating demons in order to fulfill your wish? [3-21-2]
bhakt˜× caiva anurakt˜× ca hit˜× ca mama nityaþa× |
hanyam˜n˜ api na hanyante na na kuryu× vaco mama || 3-21-3
3. [Those demons are]; bhaktaaH caiva anuraktaaH ca= admirers, also, adherers, also; nityashaH mama hitaaH ca= always, of mine, well-wishers; hanyamaanaa api na hanyante = being killed, even, not, killable; mama vacaH= my, word [order]; na na kuryuH= no, not, doers - no question of not accomplishing my order.
"Those demons are my admirers, adherers and they always remained my well-wishers, hence there is no question of their non-accomplishment of my orders. [3-21-3]
kim etat þrotum icch˜mi k˜raõam yat k®te puna× |
h˜ n˜tha iti vinardantŸ sarpavat ceÿ÷ase kÿitau || 3-21-4
4. yat kR^ite= what, owing to; haa naatha iti= ha, lord, thus; vi nardantii= verily, bawling; punaH sarpa vat= again, serpent, as with; kSitau ceSTase [luThasi]= on ground, gesturing - wriggling; etat kaaraNam= for this, reason; kim= what is it; shrotum icChaami= to listen, I wish to.
"Owing to what you are highly bawling by saying, 'haa, lord' and wriggle on the ground like a snake? I would like to know the reason for all this, what is it? [3-21-4]
an˜tha vat vilapasi kim nu n˜the mayi sthite |
uttiÿ÷hottiÿ÷ha m˜ maivam vaiklavyam tyajyat˜m iti || 3-21-5
5. naathe mayi sthite= one who cares for, I am, when I am available; maam= to me; kim nu= why, really; a+naatha vat vilapasi= un, cared-for, like, you cry out; uttiSTha uttiSTha= get up, get up; evam vaiklavyam tyajyataam = this sort, perplexity, ward off, thus; iti= thus he said.
"I am here to take care of you, then why should you really cry out like an uncared-for being, get up...get up, and ward off this sort of perplexity." Thus Khara said to Shuurpanakha. [3-21-5]
iti evam ukt˜ durdharÿ˜ khareõa paris˜ntvit˜ |
vim®jya nayane sa asre kharam bhr˜taram abravŸt || 3-21-6
6. iti evam uktaa = thus, that way, she is said; khareNa pari+ saantvitaa= by Khara, wholly, pacified; dur dharSaa= un, assailable one - here, unassuageable one, Shuurpanakha; sa asre nayane = with, tears, eyes; vimR^ijya= on dabbing; bhraataram kharam abraviit = to brother, Khara, she spoke.
She that Shuurpanakha who is otherwise an unassuageable one is wholly pacified when Khara spoke to her thus that way, and she on dabbing her tearful eyes then spoke to her brother Khara. [3-21-6]
asmi id˜nŸm aham prapt˜ hata þravaõa n˜sik˜ |
þoõita ogha pariklinn˜ tvay˜ ca parisamanvit˜ || 3-21-7
7. hata shravaNa naasikaa= having chopped, ears, nose; aham= I; shoNita ogha pari+klinnaa= gushes, blood, fully, wetted with; idaaniim= now - just a while back; praaptaa asmi= came here, I am; tvayaa parisaanvitaa [pari+saantvitaa] ca = by you, completely, comforted, also - isn't it.
"I came to you just a while back with my ears and nose chopped off and wet with gushes of blood, and you too have comforted me, isn't it. [3-21-7]
preÿit˜× ca tvay˜ þ¨r˜ r˜kÿas˜× te catur daþa |
nihantum r˜ghavam ghor˜m mat priy˜rtham sa lakÿmaõam || 3-21-8
8. shuuraa= oh, valiant one; tvayaa= by you; mat priya artham= to my, delight, for the reason of; sa lakSmaNam= with, Lakshmana; ghoram raaghavam nihantum= atrocious, Raghava, to eliminate; te catur dasha raakSasaaH preSitaaH ca= by you, fourteen, demons, sent, isn't it.
"Oh, valiant brother, for my delight you too have sent fourteen demons to eliminate that atrocious Rama along with Lakshmana, isn't it? [3-21-8]
te tu r˜meõa s˜marÿ˜× þ¨la pa÷÷isa p˜õaya× |
samare nihat˜× sarve s˜yakai× marma bhedibhi× || 3-21-9
9. sa amarSaaH= with, envious anger; shuula paTTisa paaNayaH= spears, bolts, in hands; te sarve= they, all; raameNa= by Rama; marma bhedibhiH saayakaiH = crucial-parts, cleavers, with arrows; samare nihataaH = in war, killed.
"But they all who handled their spears and bolts along with an envious anger are killed in a fight with Rama by his arrows that cleave the crucial parts of his opponents. [3-21-9]
t˜n bh¨mau patit˜n d®ÿ÷v˜ kÿaõena eva mah˜jav˜n |
r˜masya ca mahat karma mah˜n tr˜so abhavan mama || 3-21-10
10. kSaNena eva= in a trice; bhuumau patitaan= on earth, fallen; mahaa javaan= highly impetuous ones; taan= them, the demons; raamasya mahat karma ca= Rama's, unusual, deed, also; dR^iSTvaa= on seeing; mama= to me; mahaan traasaH abhavat= great, alarm, became - fell upon me.
"On seeing those highly impetuous demons falling to earth in a trice, and even on seeing the unusual deed of Rama in felling them, I am highly alarmed. [3-21-10]
s˜ asmi bhŸt˜ samudvign˜ viÿaõõ˜ ca niþ˜cara |
þaraõam tv˜m puna× pr˜pt˜ sarvato bhaya darþinŸ || 3-21-11
11. nishaacara= oh, nightwalker [Khara]; saa= such as I am; bhiitaa sam udvignaa = scared, fully, frenzied; viSaNNaa ca= despaired, also; asmi I became; sarvataH bhaya darshinii= from everywhere, dread, beholding; punaH tvaam sharaNam praaptaa= again, you, for refuge, I sought.
"Oh me! I am alarmed, fully frenzied, and even despaired, oh, nightwalker Khara, and beholding dread everywhere again I have come seeking your refuge. [3-21-11]
viÿ˜da nakra adhyuÿite paritr˜sa ¨rmi m˜lini |
kim m˜m na tr˜yase magn˜m vipule þoka s˜gare || 3-21-12
12. viSaada nakra adhyuSite= despair, [called] crocodile, pervasive; paritraasa uurmi maalini= overly frightening, waves, undulation - a roller = a long swelling wave; vipule shoka= vast, sorrow; saagare magnaam = [called] ocean, drowned; maam kim na traayase= me, why, not, rescue.
"Why do not you rescue me when I am drowned in a vast ocean called grief, wherein each pervasive crocodile is despair and each swelling wave is fright. [3-21-12]
ete ca nihat˜ bh¨mau r˜meõa niþitai× þarai× |
ye ca me padavŸm pr˜pt˜ r˜kÿas˜× piþita aþan˜× || 3-21-13
13. pishita ashanaaH= flesh, eaters; ye raakSasaaH= which, demons; me padaviim praaptaa= my, on path, treaded - followed me; ete ca= they, also; raameNa= by Rama; bhuumau= on earth; nishitaiH sharaiH nihataa= with sharp, arrows, felled [adding to my problems, for which I have a contrite spirit.]
"Besides, those flesh-eating demons that have followed me are also felled by Rama with his sharp arrows, for whom I have a contrite heart. [3-21-13]
mayi te yadi anukroþo yadi rakÿa×su teÿu ca |
r˜meõa yadi þakti× te tejo v˜ asti niþ˜ cara || 3-21-14
daõýak˜raõya nilayam jahi r˜kÿasa kaõ÷akam |
14, 15a. nishaa cara= oh, night, walker Khara; te mayi= to you, on me; teSu rakSaHsu ca= on those, demons, also; anukroshaH asti yadi= mercy, is there, if; te raameNa= to you, with Rama [to fight]; shaktiH= ability; tejoaH vaa= animation, or; asti yadi= is there, if; daNDaka araNya nilayam= in Dandaka, forest, dwellers of; raakSasa kaNTakam= for demons, a thorn; jahi= kill.
"If you have mercy on me, and even on those dead demons, and if ability and animation are still left in you to cope with Rama, oh, nightwalker, kill that Rama who is a thorn in the side of demons dwelling in Dandaka forest. [3-21-14, 15a]
yadi r˜mam amitraghnam na tvam adya vadhiÿyasi || 3-21-15
tava caiva agrata× pr˜õ˜n tyakÿy˜mi nirapatrap˜ |
15b, 16a. a+mitra+ghnam= un, friendly ones, destroyer; raamam tvam adya= Rama, you, now itself; na vadhiSyasi yadi= not, going to kill, if; nir+apatrapaa= lexically: without, shame; here - unhesitatingly; tava agrataH caiva= in your, before, thus - that too; [adya= now itself]; praaNaan tyakSyaami= lives, I leave off.
"If you are not going to kill that enemy destroyer Rama now itself, I will give up my life unhesitatingly, that too in your fore, that too now itself.
If you are not going to kill that enemy destroyer Rama now itself, now itself I will give up my life than living a shameless life with these lopped ears and nose. [3-21-15b, 16a]
buddhy˜ aham anupaþy˜mi na tvam r˜masya saÕyuge || 3-21-16
sth˜tum prati mukhe þakta× sa balo api mah˜ raõe |
þ¨ram˜nŸ na þ¨ra× tvam mithy˜ ˜ropita vikrama× || 3-21-17
16b, 17. tvam= you; sa balaH api samyuge = with, forces, even with, on battlefield; mahaa raNe= in a crucial, war; raamasya prati mukhe sthaatum= Rama's, opposite faced [affront,] to stay; na shaktaH= not, capable; thus; shuura maanii= as valiant one, you assert; na shuuraH = valiant one, [but you are] not; mithyaa aaropita vikramaH= dubiously, imposed, valour [vainglorious];aham buddhyaa anupashyaami= I, with my perception, I am discerning - instinctually perceiving.
"I can perceive instinctually that you are incapable of affronting Rama in a given crucial battle, even if your are with all your forces on the battlefield, and you assert yourself a valiant, but you are just vainglorious. [3-21-16b, 17]
apay˜hi jana sth˜n˜t tvarita× saha b˜ndhava× |
jahi tvam samare m¨ýh˜n yath˜ tu kulap˜Õsana || 3-21-18
m˜nuÿau tau na þaknoÿi hantum vai r˜ma lakÿmaõau |
ni×sattvasya alpa vŸryasya v˜sa× te kŸd®þa× tu iha || 3-21-19
18, 19. tvam samare jahi = you, kill, in war; maanuSau tau raama lakSmaNau = who are just humans, those two, Rama, Lakshmana; if; hantum na shaknoSi vai = to kill, [if] you are not, capable, really; niH sattvasya= with trivial, stamina; alpa viiryasya= trifling, sinews; te iha vaasaH tu kiidR^ishaH = your, here, living, but, what for; kula paamsana muuDhaan yathaa [??] = clan, blemisher, as like, a stupid fellow; tvaritaH janasthaanaat apayaahi= instantly, from Janasthaana, be gone - get out; saha baandhavaH= with, relatives [hench-demons.]
"Kill those two, Rama and Lakshmana, as they are just humans, or else, if you are incapable of doing so, really what for is your stay here in Janasthaana with your trivial stamina and trifling sinews like a stupid blemishing his clan, then get out of this Janasthaana at once along with your hench-demons. [3-21-18, 19]
The order of the verses from 16 to the last varies with versions and verbatim meanings differ. This is a kind of intimidation Shuurpanakha hurling at Khara. Besides being her brothers, Khara, Trishira and Duushana are the provincial governors of Janasthaana, nominated by Ravana. If they do not come to the rescue of Shuurpanakha, or to that matter of fact should they not eliminate intruders into Janasthaana, there is every possibility of their ouster from their posts by Ravana, because Shuurpanakha has more access to Ravana.
r˜ma tejo abhibh¨to hi tvam kÿipram vinaþiÿyasi |
sa hi teja× sam˜yukto r˜mo daþarath˜tmaja× || 3-21-20
20. tvam= you; raama tejaH abhibhuutaH= by Rama's, resplendence, subjugated; kSipram vi+nashiSyasi hi= quickly, completely evanish, indeed; dasharatha aatmajaH saH raamaH = Dasharatha's, son, he, that Rama; tejaH samaayuktaH= resplendence, possesses; hi= in effect.
"You will completely and quickly evanish, indeed, subjugated by resplendence of Rama, for that Dasharatha's son Rama possess that kind of resplendence, in effect. [3-21-20]
bhr˜t˜ ca asya mah˜ vŸryo yena ca asmi vir¨pit˜ |
evam vil˜pya bahuþo r˜kÿsŸ pradarodarŸ || 3-21-21
bhr˜tu× samŸpe þoka ˜rt˜ naÿ÷a sañjñ˜ babh¨va ha |
kar˜bhy˜m udaram hatv˜ ruroda bh®þa du×khit˜ || 3-21-22
21, 22. yena= by whom; viruupitaa asmi= misshapen, I am; such; asya bhraata ca= his, brother, too; mahaa viiryaH= highly, vigorous one; evam= this way; shoka aartaa= by affliction, anguished; pradara udarii raakshsii= cave like, bellied, demoness; bhraatuH samiipe = in brother's, presence,; bahushaH vilaapya = variously, on bawling; karaabhyaam udaram hatvaa= with both hands, on paunch, hitting; ruroda bhR^isha duHkhitaa= cried out, loudly, in her distress; naSTa sanj~naa babhuuva ha= lost, awareness, she became - swooned, really.
"And, by whom I am misshapen that brother of Rama too is a highly vigorous one..." in this way on saying Shuurpanakha bawled variously in the presence of her brother, Khara, and then anguished by her own affliction that demoness with a cave like belly started hitting her paunch with both of her hands, and what is more, she swooned. [3-21-21, 22]
The name Khara also stands for a he-ass
iti v˜lmŸki r˜m˜yaõe ˜di k˜vye kiÿkindha k˜õýe eka viÕþa× sarga×
Thus, this is the 21st chapter in Aranya Kanda of Valmiki Ramayana, the First Epic poem of India.
© 2002, Desiraju Hanumanta Rao [Revised : June 04]